or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Microsoft now giving away Surface RT tablets to boost Bing use in schools
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Microsoft now giving away Surface RT tablets to boost Bing use in schools - Page 2

post #41 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by djames4242 View Post

 

That worked fairly well for Apple a decade or two ago. Many schools had Macs knowing that if that's what kids grow up learning, that's what they'll want to stick with when they buy (or ask their parents for) their own computers.

 

I don't recall Apple EVER giving away computers to schools or anyone.

post #42 of 95

I can just see the presentations to the school districts.

 

Tech: "We can either go with free Microsoft Surface's or pay $329 for an iPad mini."

 

School District: "I think the solution is rather obvious isn't it?"

 

Tech: "Yeah, I'll put the order in for the iPads. We could however use the MS surface for some of our portable classrooms. Some of the foundations are sagging and we could stack a few surfaces underneath the portables to level them off"

“What would I do? I’d shut Apple down and give the money back to the shareholders”

Michael Dell - 1997

Reply

“What would I do? I’d shut Apple down and give the money back to the shareholders”

Michael Dell - 1997

Reply
post #43 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by djames4242 View Post

 

Until now, the only reason to bring up the Bing homepage was the generally gorgeous photos. Now you can earn a Surface too! (Which you might be able to sell and use the pennies toward a usable tablet that has apps)

 

If Microsoft can't sell 'em new, what makes you think you can sell them used?

post #44 of 95
Can anyone say tax right off on a complete loss it sucks but free or at a loss like kindle
post #45 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ochyming View Post

Ship them to poor countries, like mine, Guinea-Bissau in West Africa. It will give them Good Publicity. The Guardian ( the new Samsung Rumor site ) and The BBC will use it to bash Apple.

 

That's pretty freaked up, dude.

 

Apple should be praised for not sending junk electronic waste to poor countries, like Guinea-Bissau in West Africa.

post #46 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeejucm View Post

Today it is very much evident that this Microsoft thing can never bring in innovatation that capture people mind. They are a bunch of hypocrites see for instance what all lies they said about surface tab trying to project it as a superior gadgets inspite of being a third rate below standard products with lot of hidden cost where the consumer must pay an additional 100 dollars to get the keyboard cover and now the surface tab is given for free

This action has great consequence the world is populated with e-waste accounting for 900 million unwanted gadget that is absolute in term of technology, recycling would be a better option but alas Microsoft doesn't have any brain for re-engineering. Most student will throw surface tab within weeks as it doesn't have what they want today. What a pity to say Microsoft is lagging behind students and consumers 1995 is no longer going to work in favour of the greatest underdog of current century

But but but Microsoft Office! Vapor Mg! Keyboard cover! 1wink.gif

I wouldn't throw a pity party for Microsoft just yet. I for one am glad the days of "embrace extend extinguish" have passed, and that Microsoft is advocating or at least paying lip service to: standards, fair competition, and (oh irony) innovation.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #47 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytdave View Post

It's like the neighborhood dealer - "I'll be your friend".  "The first hit's free".

 

Except that all evidence suggests that nothing Microsoft makes is addictive.

post #48 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

 

I don't recall Apple EVER giving away computers to schools or anyone.

 

There was a large computer lab in Mendocino at the ROP that had a plethora of Macintosh computers (these weren't cheap ones - they had a few IIfx computers that were used by students learning animation and graphics (and these were $10,000 machines) alongside a whole much of IIsi and IIci machines. I'm quite certain the lab did not have $100k+ to spend on these machines so they clearly were donated by somebody. I guess I just assumed that Apple donated a certain amount of equipment to education to encourage downstream purchases after school, but I could be wrong. In addition to about twenty Macs, they also had a couple of SGI servers and two PC clone machines, so maybe they were purchased with grant funding.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

 

If Microsoft can't sell 'em new, what makes you think you can sell them used?

 

Hence the comment about selling them for pennies. Hell, I'd even buy an RT for $20 just to play with it :)

post #49 of 95

Something tells me that when iDevices have their default search engine switched to Bing there will be a bigger traffic increase then with this program.

post #50 of 95

The Zune RT: A ripoff at any cost!

post #51 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by djames4242 View Post

 

Hence the comment about selling them for pennies. Hell, I'd even buy an RT for $20 just to play with it :)

 

Oh, gotcha.  Yes, I myself considered buying one of those cheap Kindles or Nooks, to install Linux on it to play with. But then I saw a butterfly--pretty butterfly!  :)

post #52 of 95
Such a deal! We'll give you a tablet (that nobody wants) for FREE!! All you gotta do is use our search engine! Badda BING!! huh? huh? Helluva bargain? Can't beat it? *wink wink nudge nudge*

I think in a month or two, we'll have another article following up with the headline, "Surface RT: Microsoft can't even give them away."

Seriously, what is an 'educator' going to do with a slab that has no future, no software to speak of, and no real support%u2026?
post #53 of 95
Originally Posted by GadgetCanadaV2 View Post
I can just see the presentations to the school districts.

 

Tech: "We can either go with free Microsoft Surface's or pay $329 for an iPad mini."

 

School District: "I think the solution is rather obvious isn't it?"

 

Tech: "Yeah, I'll put the order in for the iPads. We could however use the MS surface for some of our portable classrooms. Some of the foundations are sagging and we could stack a few surfaces underneath the portables to level them off"

 

"The music department needs some new percussion instruments. Why not grab a few Surfaces and keyboards to work as clackers for them?"

post #54 of 95
What happened to Microsoft's consent decree with the DOJ forbidding this type of stuff?
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #55 of 95
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post
What happened to Microsoft's consent decree with the DOJ forbidding this type of stuff?

 

What happens to every situation in which collusion or anti-trust behavior is overlooked? Money.

post #56 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

"What are we gonna do will all these surfaces that no-one wants?"
"Give them away."
"But how?"

 

Ballmer: "Try to use them as leverage… what have we got… OOH! I know! Let's make them PROMISE to use our search engine in exchange for free RTs!!"

 

"And that will benefit us… how?"

 

...

post #57 of 95

This is just cruel to children, they're already at a disadvantage with foreign language problems, administrators that are too liberal and now this! A crippled learning tool that runs out of power, too slow and doesn't have enough storage.

 

post #58 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

 

Except that all evidence suggests that nothing Microsoft makes is addictive.


Ever hear of the X-Box? Not to sound snarky but that's actually the best product Microsoft makes these days and from personal experience it's HIGHLY addictive.

post #59 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post


Ever hear of the X-Box? Not to sound snarky but that's actually the best product Microsoft makes these days and from personal experience it's HIGHLY addictive.

 

Yes, their OTHER 'successful' product leveraged by copying two successful models (Nintendo and Sony) first, and then for awhile practically giving them away for free.

 

They finally got it (mostly) right. But they had to copy (or buy) all their ideas, like they did with Windows (copying Mac UX), Zune, etc….

 

And lest we forget, Xbox was a lost leader for years, they sank BILLIONS into it. And the sad part was, it was a relatively easy market to break into, if you just 'did it right'… it took MS a long time to get that.

post #60 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

 

And lest we forget, Xbox was a lost leader for years, they sank BILLIONS into it. And the sad part was, it was a relatively easy market to break into, if you just 'did it right'… it took MS a long time to get that.

To be fair to Microsoft, Sony sold both the PS2 and PS3 at a loss for years when they first were released as well.

post #61 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

 

Yes, their OTHER 'successful' product leveraged by copying two successful models (Nintendo and Sony) first, and then for awhile practically giving them away for free.

 

They finally got it (mostly) right. But they had to copy (or buy) all their ideas, like they did with Windows (copying Mac UX), Zune, etc….

 

And lest we forget, Xbox was a lost leader for years, they sank BILLIONS into it. And the sad part was, it was a relatively easy market to break into, if you just 'did it right'… it took MS a long time to get that.


Correct but that's the way most console manufacturers operate - on a loss leader. They typically (for a few years anyhow) take losses on the consoles themselves and make it up in the software. As for copying, I guess you could say that about pretty much any video game OEM over the years.

 

BTW, you just HAD to mention the Zune POS didn't you1cool.gif

post #62 of 95
Why would they "target" LAUSD if LAUSD already inked a deal for iPads with Apple. Didn't Microsoft get the memo? What am I missing on this plan?
post #63 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by djames4242 View Post

That worked fairly well for Apple a decade or two ago. Many schools had Macs knowing that if that's what kids grow up learning, that's what they'll want to stick with when they buy (or ask their parents for) their own computers.
Yep, That's what I loved, and also the fact that a 2000 version of a Mac is better than half the 2013 PCs.

Microsoft needs to accept that surface has failed, giving them away to promote there web browser required, might end them up being trashed. This is sad to see that they are practically throwing money out the door.
post #64 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

"The music department needs some new percussion instruments. Why not grab a few Surfaces and keyboards to work as clackers for them?"

Don't forget the Modern Dance class!

post #65 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ochyming View Post

Ship them to poor countries, like mine, Guinea-Bissau in West Africa. It will give them Good Publicity. The Guardian ( the new Samsung Rumor site ) and The BBC will use it to bash Apple.

And just like our genetically modified crops, they'll be rejected as an unwanted product.

post #66 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post



Ever hear of the X-Box? Not to sound snarky but that's actually the best product Microsoft makes these days and from personal experience it's HIGHLY addictive.

Xbox is successful coz the only other competitor they got is play station. Sony isn't my idea of innovative.
post #67 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post


Ever hear of the X-Box? Not to sound snarky but that's actually the best product Microsoft makes these days and from personal experience it's HIGHLY addictive.

 

Okay, I plead guilty.  Though I didn't know X-box was addictive.  It's some kind of game system, right?  I've never even seen one.  I guess they were successful in some quarters.  (Maybe all except mine.) 

post #68 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landcruiser View Post

Why would they "target" LAUSD if LAUSD already inked a deal for iPads with Apple. Didn't Microsoft get the memo? What am I missing on this plan?

Trophy kill?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #69 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post


Ever hear of the X-Box? Not to sound snarky but that's actually the best product Microsoft makes these days and from personal experience it's HIGHLY addictive.

The *games* are highly addictive. If Surface had a killer function/App, they'd be selling like...hahaha. No one wants a surface but dancers who give PowerPoint presentations to their friends.
post #70 of 95

I had one loaned to me for a month; originally it was more-or-less "given" to me, so I brought it home with me.

 

I turned it on one time; it took forever just to figure out how to do the simplest things. Windows 8 is such an awful OS in every respect; instead of making things simpler, they slapped a new UI on top of Windows, obfuscating common things that one might do with Windows (other than putting it into the trash).

 

I never turned it on again, gave it back so that it could be used in a 3rd-grade class, where i have no doubt that it'll see little if any use.

 

The display is sharp and crisp, but that's all that I can say about it; from the weight to the badly-placed on/off switch, to the awful AC adapter plug, it's a study in bad design and even worse software.

 

It'll go the way of the Zune in no time.

post #71 of 95

I agree, the XBox is a great device. Unfortunately, it's the *only* think coming from Microsoft for which I can heap that praise.

post #72 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

 

Okay, I plead guilty.  Though I didn't know X-box was addictive.  It's some kind of game system, right?  I've never even seen one.  I guess they were successful in some quarters.  (Maybe all except mine.) 

They're *very* successful; my son has one, and I've used it a little bit here and there. I think it's a great device, the only one from M$ that seems to have hit the target. 

post #73 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by djames4242 View Post

 

That worked fairly well for Apple a decade or two ago. Many schools had Macs knowing that if that's what kids grow up learning, that's what they'll want to stick with when they buy (or ask their parents for) their own computers.

 

 

That's a long view attitude.  And works when you have a quality product compared to the market (I get Better?... for FREE?) and a 5 year plan for recovery.  

 

MS stockholders won't buy it.

post #74 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by marko1357 View Post

Can anyone say tax right off on a complete loss it sucks but free or at a loss like kindle

true...   You make em at 300, and write them off at 799.   The tax benefit still won't shelter the whole loss.

 

"Yeah, we give 'em away, but we make it up on the volume"  

post #75 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by longterm View Post

They're *very* successful; my son has one, and I've used it a little bit here and there. I think it's a great device, the only one from M$ that seems to have hit the target. 

And it took 5 years of losses for xBox to make a profit, and another 3 years to recoup the previous losses.

 

8 years to break even?  Only Amazon can make that sell to Wall Street;-)

post #76 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Giving them away to schools? Is that how they can get business in the educational market?

And they think that's the way to get tablet marketshare? Oh God. Microsoft doesn't get it.

 

I'm not so sure with your opinion that Microsoft "doesn't get it." It seems to me that Microsoft may have finally found a price point at which they can move their tablets. They tried $199 and that didn't work... let's see if FREE will get the tablets to move. If THAT doesn't work, Steve Ballmer can wander through parking lots looking for unlocked vehicles and stuff a Surface or two inside the car before scuttling away....

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #77 of 95

Poor Microsoft can't even give its tablets away...

post #78 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landcruiser View Post

Why would they "target" LAUSD if LAUSD already inked a deal for iPads with Apple. Didn't Microsoft get the memo? What am I missing on this plan?

 

Microsoft specializes in "Lost Causes." Uncle Fester is one himself... 

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #79 of 95
BiNGO!
(Buy None, Get One)
post #80 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

"The music department needs some new percussion instruments. Why not grab a few Surfaces and keyboards to work as clackers for them?"

 

Already beat you to it on page 1 of comments 1smoking.gif

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetCanadaV2 View Post

I can see the band and dance classes using them for their neato clickety-clack sounds when attaching the keyboard.

 

“What would I do? I’d shut Apple down and give the money back to the shareholders”

Michael Dell - 1997

Reply

“What would I do? I’d shut Apple down and give the money back to the shareholders”

Michael Dell - 1997

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Microsoft now giving away Surface RT tablets to boost Bing use in schools
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Microsoft now giving away Surface RT tablets to boost Bing use in schools