or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Plastic shell purportedly for Apple's 'iPhone 5C' shines in durability test

Plastic shell purportedly for Apple's 'iPhone 5C' shines in durability test

post #1 of 123
A plastic rear shell, alleged to be a production part destined for Apple's rumored low-cost "iPhone 5C," has appeared in a new video report out of Taiwan, where it was measured and even put through a scratch resistance test.

iPhone-5C-Scratch-Test-Large.png

The shell, procured by Taiwanese blog Apple Daily (via MacRumors), is subjected to a cursory durability test by shaking it in a plastic bag alongside coins and car keys, then forcefully scratching at the surface with the tip of a key. The shell comes out of the test mostly unscathed, a good sign for the durability of the "iPhone 5C" if the part is indeed legitimate.

The report indicates that the shell sports a hardness equivalent to an "8H" grade on the pencil hardness test, the second-hardest grade given. The pencil hardness test is a standard measure of a material's scratch resistance.

iPhone-5C-No-Markings.png

While it is plausible that the shell in the report could be a legitimate Apple part, there are some inconsistencies ? such as the lack of regulatory markings below the "iPhone" name ? that could indicate it may be a well-made fake. Schematics for the "iPhone 5C" have been circulating among the Chinese accessory manufacturers since at least early June.

A purported "iPhone 5S" back plate also makes an appearance in the report, sporting a redesigned flash enclosure for the rumored dual LED flash. But that part features a blue back, suggesting it may not be authentic.
post #2 of 123
Heh heh, he said "pencil hardness test."
post #3 of 123
OK let me see if I got this right. The rumored case for the rumored iPhone 5C is rumored to be highly scratch resistant.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

post #4 of 123

I am still against this idea.

post #5 of 123

Realistic nailed it.

post #6 of 123

What's next, benchmarks? 

post #7 of 123

Notice again how there is not FCC labeling? 

post #8 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

I am still against this idea.

What idea? Any idea? All ideas?

post #9 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

Notice how the article specifically discusses the lack of regulatory labeling?

post #10 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

I'm against a plastic, cheap iPhone.

post #11 of 123
Quote:

I have a solution for you... dont buy it.

post #12 of 123
Quote:

Notice how the article specifically discusses the lack of regulatory labeling?

Nope, did not get down that far. 1hmm.gif

post #13 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

OK let me see if I got this right. The rumored case for the rumored iPhone 5C is rumored to be highly scratch resistant.

More like "The rumored case for the rumored iPhone 5C is highly scratch resistant."  If its a fake then maybe Apple should consider using that fake.

post #14 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

I have a solution for you... dont buy it.

I understand that, and I won't buy it.

But I think it's a bad move for Apple.  It's sucking into a race to the bottom.  Apple is trying to be Samsung.  What's the point?

post #15 of 123
Quote:

Being as only two concepts were in the article, first the plastic cover, the other its durability, it should not take much to discern which he was against. 

post #16 of 123
Quote:

Its not made for you.  Not everyone on the planet can afford a $700 phone.

A $400 phone made out of plastic with an outstanding OS, fast CPU, retna screen is an awesome combo. Dont be a snob. I'm a middle class american and for me the $700 unlocked price is too much.

post #17 of 123
Quote:

Simple. Then don't buy it.

I think it will be the best selling iPhone by a very wide margin. It will be far more affordable but not cheaply built. It will likely have the same internals as the 5 which is a fast phone and no need to buy a case which can also be a selling point for many. 

And since when was aluminum consider to be a premium or expensive material? 

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. 

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. 

post #18 of 123
Quote:

But I think it's a bad move for Apple.  It's sucking into a race to the bottom.  Apple is trying to be Samsung.  What's the point?

I dont think Apple is racing to the bottom with this, its the opposite. They are adapting the old models to the mid range market segment and they will probably have better margins than just selling old models.

Its not going to be a wow product, but its very clever for there revenue and profits. The 5C will do fine, its the 5S that worries me.

post #19 of 123
Quote:

Aaron, just stop now. I tried and tried for the longest time to share exact ideas as yourself and I have only received flames for it. 

I agree that moving back into plastic products will reduce the image of Apple (as the only plastic products Apple has is the Airport), and that an alternative would be best. Such as metal, but not as highly finished as the current line thus reducing manufacturing cost more so than material cost. 

But you will only get hate for such dissenting opinions. 

post #20 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

A $400 phone made out of plastic with an outstanding OS, fast CPU, retna screen is an awesome combo. Dont be a snob.

Sorry, but I don't see that way.  Apple has an appreciation of accomplishment.  Making a cheap, plastic phone is not filling that.

post #21 of 123
But will it blend?
post #22 of 123
Quote:

Aaron, just stop now. I tried and tried for the longest time to share exact ideas as yourself and I have only received flames for it. 

I agree that moving back into plastic products will reduce the image of Apple (as the only plastic products Apple has is the Airport), and that an alternative would be best. Such as metal, but not as highly finished as the current line thus reducing manufacturing cost more so than material cost. 

But you will only get hate for such dissenting opinions. 

Fair enough.

post #23 of 123
Quote:

There is no "FCC" in China which is where this phone is going to be sold.

post #24 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rothgarr View Post

But will it blend?

Yes, and with nice colors too!

post #25 of 123
What if the Apple carbon fiber patent originally thought for laptop housing was behind the new material housing the iPhone 5C?
http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/09/04/apple_patent_could_lead_to_carbon_fiber_macbook_housings.html
post #26 of 123
Quote:

You should let Apple know ASAP, before this thing is launched. Because clearly your sentiment negates the hundreds of millions of other potential buyers in every country on the planet. 

post #27 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennettvista View Post

There is no "FCC" in China which is where this phone is going to be sold.

So you are suggesting this is a China only product. Interesting, but I doubt it. 

post #28 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinoone View Post

What if the Apple carbon fiber patent originally thought for laptop housing was behind the new material housing the iPhone 5C?
http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/09/04/apple_patent_could_lead_to_carbon_fiber_macbook_housings.html

I would used this on ipads

post #29 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

You should let Apple know ASAP, before this thing is launched. Because clearly your sentiment negates the hundreds of millions of other potential buyers in every country on the planet. 

You don't see the problem?

post #30 of 123
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

A $400 phone made out of plastic with an outstanding OS, fast CPU, retna screen is an awesome combo. Dont be a snob.

Sorry, but I don't see that way.  Apple has an appreciation of accomplishment.  Making a cheap, plastic phone is not filling that.

inexpensive != cheap

$400 != cheap
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #31 of 123

btw if they are going to call this the 5C, the new phone should be called the iphone 6 so next year we have the 6C and the 7

post #32 of 123
Some of these plastic cases are definitely fake as some of them have black Apple logos and others white. They also all seem to have white fronts. Would Apple use a white front, a colored case and a black logo? Maybe the iPhone 5 parts fit inside and they are using those as a mockup and the front colors will match the case but as I say, at least some of these can't be legit because of the different logos. The red/pink color looks terrible.

A more interesting rumor IMO is that they'll make the black one blacker instead of grey:

I think it would be better if they just made a white one in plastic and improved the metallic shade of black and keep the silver/white the same.
post #33 of 123
The video was awesome...

The case case came through unscathed...

The tester's nails and cuticles could use some work, though.
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #34 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Some of these plastic cases are definitely fake as some of them have black Apple logos and others white. They also all seem to have white fronts. Would Apple use a white front, a colored case and a black logo? Maybe the iPhone 5 parts fit inside and they are using those as a mockup and the front colors will match the case but as I say, at least some of these can't be legit because of the different logos. The red/pink color looks terrible.

Yeah... maybe!

One thing though, if these cases are as scratch resistant as they appear -- they would eliminate the need for a protective case.

I wonder how they'll do in a drop test.
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #35 of 123
I'm sick of seeing backs of 'the new iPhone'! Come on September!!!
post #36 of 123
Quote:

I dont think Apple is racing to the bottom with this, its the opposite. They are adapting the old models to the mid range market segment and they will probably have better margins than just selling old models.

Its not going to be a wow product, but its very clever for there revenue and profits. The 5C will do fine, its the 5S that worries me.
Why would it worry you...unless you have stock in the company?
post #37 of 123
Quote:

(as the only plastic products Apple has is the Airport),

AppleTV.

post #38 of 123
Quote:

btw if they are going to call this the 5C, the new phone should be called the iphone 6 so next year we have the 6C and the 7

The cheap phone might drop the number altogether.  The iPhone C.  

post #39 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

A more interesting rumor IMO is that they'll make the black one blacker instead of grey:

I think it would be better if they just made a white one in plastic and improved the metallic shade of black and keep the silver/white the same.
I've come to the conclusion long ago that judging colors based on these leaks is pointless. Most of the leaks of the 5 looked awful too.
post #40 of 123
Quote:

You don't see the problem?

You have your own personal opinion about this rumored iPhone. That doesn't mean there's a real, actual "problem" in the objective sense of the word, and you're quite presumptous to claim that I don't "see" your imagined "problem". It's fine to have an opinion, it's not fine to be so presumptuous as to pretend you truly know whats best for Apple, and for consumers, many of which do not share your opinions or preferences. 

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Plastic shell purportedly for Apple's 'iPhone 5C' shines in durability test
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Plastic shell purportedly for Apple's 'iPhone 5C' shines in durability test