or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Plastic shell purportedly for Apple's 'iPhone 5C' shines in durability test

Plastic shell purportedly for Apple's 'iPhone 5C' shines in durability test - Page 2

post #41 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

I'm against a plastic, cheap iPhone.

Plastic, being more durable, is ideal for those who work in more physical careers such as construction, field service technicians, law enforcement, and strenuous outdoor jobs of all sorts.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #42 of 123
Quote:

I understand that, and I won't buy it.

But I think it's a bad move for Apple.  It's sucking into a race to the bottom.  Apple is trying to be Samsung.  What's the point?

Not going to the bottom. Just a mid tier phone to get back the masses. That is the top reason ppl stay away from the phone. It's cost.
Like the iPad mini brought an entry level tier.

Every luxury car or brand has entry level models too. Mid tier is fine, shouldn't go lower than that.
post #43 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone 
Plastic, being more durable, is ideal for those who work in more physical careers such as construction, field service technicians, law enforcement, and strenuous outdoor jobs of all sorts.

Exactly. Add to that students, athletes, seniors, clumsy people ... The "glass sandwich" that was the iPhone 4/S was a step backward from the 3G/S in my mind. Everything that was beautiful and "wow" about that design was destroyed by the ridiculous Apple colored bumper or any number of clunky aftermarket cases -- most of which were plastic and essentially turned the 4/S into a 3G/S.

The iPhone repair businesses (as well as third party case companies) are going to hate the 5C, as that plastic case is going protect against a lot of minor drops, and even some major ones, as well as eliminate the need for aftermarket cases. Indeed the elimination of a case for many, makes the 5C a lot more slim, stylish and elegant than the competition, and perhaps even the iPhone 5/S once owners have wrapped up it's superior design in a cheap plastic case to protect and customize it.
Edited by Mac_128 - 8/21/13 at 11:40am
post #44 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

So you are suggesting this is a China only product. Interesting, but I doubt it. 

While I expect the "C" could be for "Color" the other logical reason could be "China".....

Or?

Other than it's never going to be called that at all. Which has a lot of plausibility.

post #45 of 123
For all the nay sayers.. Iphone 3g and 3gs were plastic.
Great move to lock in more and more people in the ios eco sys!
post #46 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I agree. If the iPhone 5C had the same internal specs and features as the 5S I would actually prefer a plastic version over an aluminum one if it meant I could ditch the case. The only reason I would prefer the 5S is because of the faster CPU/GPU, a better camera, and other enhancements and not because of any design aesthetics. 

post #47 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Why would it worry you...unless you have stock in the company?

I have a lot of stocks atm indeed.  but will go light before the event.  since lots of people will also sell, I need to do it a least 1 week before. I will keep a few options leaps throught the event.  With the stock and options I am up 300% since the bottom.  Even with that, I am still 50% lower then when Apple was at $700, I lost a lot of $ on the way down.

Edited by herbapou - 8/21/13 at 11:46am
post #48 of 123
Quote:

But I think it's a bad move for Apple.  It's sucking into a race to the bottom.  Apple is trying to be Samsung.  What's the point?

What is it with people who are completely unable to comprehend the fact that plastic doesn't necessarily mean 'cheap'. And 'cheap' doesn't necessarily mean 'low quality'.

Apple has a super reputation of making high quality products affordable for the masses (remember when the iPad came out at half the price everyone expected? or the MBA which no one was able to compete with until Intel started to subsidize them?)

Apple is Apple. They're not going to produce crap. They might produce a plastic phone and it might even be less expensive than the 5S, but that doesn't mean it will be crap nor that it will ruin Apple's reputation.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #49 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

OK let me see if I got this right. The rumored case for the rumored iPhone 5C is rumored to be highly scratch resistant.

Wrong. The rear case in this video is scratch resistant. And it does IMO appear to be a legit part. So what you called rumoured others would called "factory leaked". Or swiped!

Edited by Ireland - 8/21/13 at 12:22pm
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #50 of 123

When it is introduced I expect we will see a big advertising campaign that reinforces "C is for Color" and they could take it even a step further and do various commercials like C is for capable, cool, connect (FaceTime reference)  etc...

I am sure Samsung and others will do their best to associate C with cheap so Apple needs to squash that right away and make C be associated with something cool and not cheap. 

post #51 of 123
At least AI put the word "purportedly" in the headline. +1 for not misleading people in the headlines. The headline could have easily been worded "iPhone 5C plastic case passes scratch test as (something provocative related to Samsung)."

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #52 of 123
Quote:

I am still against this idea.

People 16 to 30 have less expendable cash these days, but would love an iPhone. This product gives all of those folks an opportunity to choose iPhone. None of those people want a "new" 2 year old iPhone (4, 4S) IMO. They want a new, new phone. And by simultaneously introducing the 5S it allows Apple to still have the definitive premium phone on the world market.

I think for the ecosystem, the company and users the idea is sound.

post #53 of 123
Quote:

This is not a low-end phone. This is lower cost iPhone. €679 for a 16 GB iPhone 5 in Ireland seriously hinders Apple's potential here, and across the world. It's a good move. Frankly, it's about time they did this IMO. Selling a 2 year old phone that nobody actually wants (but are forced to choose if they want an iPhone, but cannot afford the latest model) has had it's day. This streamlines the product lineup far more and makes the Apple ecosystem far more understandable and attractive to consumers.

post #54 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

People 16 to 30 have less expendable cash these days, but would love an iPhone. This product gives all of those folks an opportunity to choose iPhone. None of those people want a "new" 2 year old iPhone (4, 4S) IMO. They want a new, new phone. And by simultaneously introducing the 5S it allows Apple to still have the definitive premium phone on the world market.

I think for the ecosystem, the company and users the idea is sound.

Unless the 5S has some kind of killer feature (so far I dont see it), I am replacing my 4s for the 5C this fall.  I want a lower price phone to go unlock with Virgin mobile. At the same time I will drop my phone land line. The $ saved on both my contract and land line is about the price of a 27" imac after 2 years.

I could not care less about speed bumps on a phone, on the ipad yes, not the phone.

Edited by herbapou - 8/21/13 at 11:56am
post #55 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac 
I am sure Samsung and others will do their best to associate C with cheap so Apple needs to squash that right away and make C be associated with something cool and not cheap. 

They should probably drop the C right now, because that's exactly what the competition is going to do.

Actually "C" might stand for "carbon fibre" ... But that still won't deter the Samsung/Microsoft/Google camp ...
post #56 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

And since when was aluminium consider to be a premium or expensive material? 

Since it enables more thinner, lighter, more rigid and less crack prone mobile electronics devices. And it's metal; metal looks cooler than plastic.

From the OS X Dictionary:

Its resistance to corrosion, lightness, and strength (especially in alloys) have led to widespread use in domestic utensils, engineering parts, and aircraft construction.

post #57 of 123
Quote:

Aaron, just stop now. I tried and tried for the longest time to share exact ideas as yourself and I have only received flames for it. 

I agree that moving back into plastic products will reduce the image of Apple (as the only plastic products Apple has is the Airport), and that an alternative would be best. Such as metal, but not as highly finished as the current line thus reducing manufacturing cost more so than material cost. 

But you will only get hate for such dissenting opinions. 

Retort?

5S.

Now stop it.

post #58 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rothgarr View Post

But will it blend?

Da da da da da, da da da da da!

post #59 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennettvista View Post

There is no "FCC" in China which is where this phone is going to be sold.

Going by that metric European iPhones would have FCC either. They do.

post #60 of 123
Quote:

You don't see the problem?

It's a mid-range device. Get over yourself. If anything it'll make the 5S seen even more premium because people will compare the two. The 5S will remain the go-to high end phone on the market. Apple's brand image is not going anywhere.

post #61 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

btw if they are going to call this the 5C, the new phone should be called the iphone 6 so next year we have the 6C and the 7

Weirdest logic.

post #62 of 123

Weirdest logic.

No weirder than calling the 6th phone 5. They want to have the most confusing names possible, have at it.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #63 of 123
Quote:

Going by that metric European iPhones would have FCC either. They do.

While I don't have any direct knowledge of how phones are labeled in Europe or Asia, I wouldn't put too much onto the fact that these cases are unlabeled. Apple undoubtedly produces large numbers of prototypes for testing purposes and I don't believe they can use FCC labels on a prototype until it has been approved by the FCC.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #64 of 123
Quote:

Since it enables more thinner, lighter, more rigid and less crack prone mobile electronics devices. And it's metal; metal looks cooler than plastic.

From the OS X Dictionary:

Its resistance to corrosion, lightness, and strength (especially in alloys) have led to widespread use in domestic utensils, engineering parts, and aircraft construction.

Ah but we only tend to keep our phones 2 years and sometimes less. Utensils, airplanes, and engineering parts are made to last for a very long time. 

But the problem is that the thinness is obviated by the need to use a case if you are worried about scratches and it seems this plastic iPhone will not need a case which could make it as thin if not thinner than a 5S in a case. That is the dilemma with aluminum, it may look nicer as you assert but if you want to protect the resale value of your phone then a case is generally a wise decision and the case is what you see not the aluminum iPhone. My iPhones have always been in a case and probably always will so I suppose that is why I really am not all that concerned about color, materials, or exterior design that will be hidden. 

It will also be interesting to see how the C vs. S does in drop test. 

post #65 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

More scratch resistant is not more durable. Plastic always likes to crack.

post #66 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Unless the 5S has some kind of killer feature (so far I dont see it), I am replacing my 4s for the 5C this fall.

And that's fair enough. You're decision is based on the cost of the 5S, which means you're probably not the potential target audience for it.

In terms of what ways the 5S will be better than the 5C?

Let's see:

Lighter

Thinner

Better camera

Faster processor

More durable; less crack prone

Metal

Higher storage 32 - 128 GB

Fingerprint scanner

Gold option for those looking for a little more variety in the 5S given the 5C colours

Don't underestimate the fingerprint scanner feature. If it's done right, and I mean really right. It'll be the most important feature on the iPhone in years.

post #67 of 123
Quote:

Always is a pretty strong word. Scientists are improving the quality and durability of plastics all the time. I have a drawer full of older plastic phones and none have cracked and they certainly did't use a plastic anywhere close to as good as what the iPhone 5C will use. 

Kevlar is a type of plastic and is 5 times stronger than steel less you forget. 

post #68 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

inexpensive != cheap

$400 != cheap

plastic == cheap

post #69 of 123
Quote:

Always is a pretty strong word. Scientists are improving the quality and durability of plastics all the time. I have a drawer full of older plastic phones and none have cracked and they certainly did't use a plastic anywhere close to as good as what the iPhone 5C will use. 

"always likes to"

post #70 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrail View Post

AppleTV.

Good point, I forgot the hobby project. I guess I would have been better to say Apple does not make a handheld or desktop product in plastic. 

post #71 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

What is it with people who are completely unable to comprehend the fact that plastic doesn't necessarily mean 'cheap'. And 'cheap' doesn't necessarily mean 'low quality'.

Apple has a super reputation of making high quality products affordable for the masses (remember when the iPad came out at half the price everyone expected? or the MBA which no one was able to compete with until Intel started to subsidize them?)

Apple is Apple. They're not going to produce crap. They might produce a plastic phone and it might even be less expensive than the 5S, but that doesn't mean it will be crap nor that it will ruin Apple's reputation.

Having a product introduce at half the imagined price does not a affordable product make by that fact alone. 

In most every way cheap means low quality. Plastic is cheaper and lower quality then metal. Apple moved away from plastic for a reason. Apple is a high end manufacturer. 

If plastic was not cheap, then why are all the iPods not plastic to save money? Do I really need a nano or shuffle in metal? No, but Apple chose to for a reason. 

post #72 of 123
Quote:

But you will only get hate for such dissenting opinions. 

No hate here.

Maybe you need to just open your mind up a bit more...plastic does not mean cheap to many people.  Plastic by itself does not mean a compromise to Apple's brand/image if the device meets or exceed the customer's expectations.  I'm not trying to justify Apple's (rumored) decisions, just giving opinion of how I think consumers will react.

Just because we don't agree with you doesn't mean we hate you or don't like you personally.

post #73 of 123
Quote:

Having a product introduce at half the imagined price does not a affordable product make by that fact alone. 

Would you agree that at half the price, it becomes MORE affordable?

post #74 of 123
Quote:

Wrong. There are some plastics that do not crack (unless you cool them in liquid nitrogen). There are metals that do crack.

You're simply making ridiculous assumptions about things that you clearly don't understand.
Quote:

In most every way cheap means low quality. Plastic is cheaper and lower quality then metal. Apple moved away from plastic for a reason. Apple is a high end manufacturer. 

If plastic was not cheap, then why are all the iPods not plastic to save money? Do I really need a nano or shuffle in metal? No, but Apple chose to for a reason. 

So you're simply making things up and pretending they have validity.

You don't know a thing about the phone, its construction, its materials, or its features, so you have no way of knowing whether it's a quality device or not. You simply jumped to the conclusion that it must be cheap junk - no need for facts, the world is supposed to simply accept your imagination.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #75 of 123

This doesn't smell quite right. 

The pencil hardness test is for testing scratch resistance of coatings, not to be confused with hardness of a solid material. We can be 99% sure that this plastic case is polycarbonate of some form. In that case, the proper hardness measure is Rockwell hardness. Furthermore, the pencil test is not a administered by randomly scratching away with a pencil. There is a special fixture for this.

I realize this is a "cursory" test. But it really doesn't mean very much.

post #76 of 123
I'm all for a plastic rear case. My iPhone 3GS felt much better in the hand than my 4 and 4S. Jobs made such an issue at the intro of the iPhone 4 about it being a mm thinner - which I'm sure it was at it's thickest point. But picking them up it felt the other way round because of the 4's squarer edges.

The 3GS didn't feel cheap - plastic comes in varying quality and it seemed fine. There was no flex which made earlier plastic phones like the palm treo / centro feel cheap.

And it wears well - better than some of the iPhone 5s on display at Apple Stores. I've no complaints about the prospects of a plastic backed 5c
post #77 of 123
For all we know, this phone may only be aimed at China or other emerging markets...maybe this phone will not be available in the US or EU...maybe that's why there are no FCC markings?
post #78 of 123
Quote:

First, I don't think this will be a race to the bottom, more a race to the middle third.

When Apple was just a computer company selling high-end CPUs, they almost got put out of business by cheap Wintel.  I think the smartphone market is a similar story.  Apple already has the big profits, but they need to maintain a large percentage of the user base to maintain relevance so that the developers won't put their focus on Android and such.  There is now way they can do that with 2 billion+ people in China and India coming online, but not being able to afford a high-end Apple phone.  

post #79 of 123
Quote:

It's a platform war, so the point is market share.  Also, the top model of the iPhone is already pushing $1,000.  

Suppose you need a 64GB or 128GB phone for your job, but you aren't some rich asshole?  You should spin in the wind?  

Remember these things are going to be upgraded yearly or every two years at most.  

If you want ubiquity and to "win" the platform war, at some point you have to go for market share.  This is that. 

post #80 of 123
Quote:

Simple. Then don't buy it.

I think it will be the best selling iPhone by a very wide margin. It will be far more affordable but not cheaply built. It will likely have the same internals as the 5 which is a fast phone and no need to buy a case which can also be a selling point for many. 

And since when was aluminum consider to be a premium or expensive material? 

Since last September. I don't see anything wrong with using plastic, but there are now a plethora of hypocrites on this site that ridiculed the competition for using plastic yet now laud Apple for it.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Plastic shell purportedly for Apple's 'iPhone 5C' shines in durability test
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Plastic shell purportedly for Apple's 'iPhone 5C' shines in durability test