or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Plastic shell purportedly for Apple's 'iPhone 5C' shines in durability test
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Plastic shell purportedly for Apple's 'iPhone 5C' shines in durability test - Page 3

post #81 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

It's a platform war, so the point is market share.  Also, the top model of the iPhone is already pushing $1,000.  

Suppose you need a 64GB or 128GB phone for your job, but you aren't some rich asshole?  You should spin in the wind?  
Remember these things are going to be upgraded yearly or every two years at most.  

If you want ubiquity and to "win" the platform war, at some point you have to go for market share.  This is that. 

I thought Apple didn't care about market share? And when exactly does one 'win' the platform war? There is no endgame, and there isn't any 'winning', because if someone does win we as consumers lose.
post #82 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soloman View Post


I thought Apple didn't care about market share? And when exactly does one 'win' the platform war? There is no endgame, and there isn't any 'winning', because if someone does win we as consumers lose.


"...didn't care about market share?"  Are you speaking for yourself or are you facetiously trying to represent Apple fanboys (whatever that is)?

 

I agree that there is no 'win' to the platform war, however, there is a constant struggle, ebb & flow.  But market share is VERY important, always has been, always will.

 

Nobody can say exactly what is the target market share since it depends on the specific product segment, the competitors strengths, future/anticipated evolution of that segment, geography and surrounding/halo products.

 

Don't listen to naysayers who think that Apple has no concept nor desire to meet, beat or sustain a certain market share.  It could very well be, though, that Apple culture is unique in that quality of products and customer satisfaction is MORE important than market share.  But to conveniently or arrogantly dismiss market share is just plain stupid.

post #83 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soloman View Post


I thought Apple didn't care about market share? And when exactly does one 'win' the platform war? There is no endgame, and there isn't any 'winning', because if someone does win we as consumers lose.

You win when your platform is still relevant.  You don't have to have a monopoly, just enough market share to maintain a high level of interest.  If the app store becomes stale, then you stop selling as many phones.

post #84 of 123
I don't know about this. I would expect the "iPhone" font to be the new Helvetica Ultralight (although it may be close enough since the plastic case shows Helvetica Light font) featured prominently within the new OS. But who know. The lack of any FCC verbiage is interesting as well. I thought at first perhaps they didn't have approval yet, but need to manufacture the cases well ahead of time and would engrave the numbers later, but that just seems inefficient.



On one hand, I see the need for a cheap version of the old phone, which is treated as the "discount model." This allows for a couple of things near and long term:

1) Long term: It allows Apple to manufacture the phones much more cheaply. Therefore, it really is the discount model. Rather than continuing to offer new "old phones." Especially since the only reason people don't get the new one is a price issue.

2) Short term: IF the iPhone is "merely" a 5s, then it allows Apple to differentiate the new model from the new-old model, since the form factor, screen size, and likely the enclosure would be similar if not identical.

either way, a "cheap" iPhone (equivalent to high end Samsung, etc - with its "premium feel" lol - that one still gets me...) makes sense.

But I am really, really hoping for a brand new, larger screen iPhone 6.
Edited by 9secondko - 8/21/13 at 2:39pm
post #85 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carson O'Genic View Post

You win when your platform is still relevant.  You don't have to have a monopoly, just enough market share to maintain a high level of interest.  If the app store becomes stale, then you stop selling as many phones.

Still relevant in respect to what?
post #86 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewys808 View Post

Would you agree that at half the price, it becomes MORE affordable?

 

not at half an imaginary price

post #87 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

This doesn't smell quite right. 

The pencil hardness test is for testing scratch resistance of coatings, not to be confused with hardness of a solid material. We can be 99% sure that this plastic case is polycarbonate of some form. In that case, the proper hardness measure is Rockwell hardness. Furthermore, the pencil test is not a administered by randomly scratching away with a pencil. There is a special fixture for this.

I realize this is a "cursory" test. But it really doesn't mean very much.

It depends on what you're trying to measure. The Rockwell hardness test tells you little or nothing about scratch resistance.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #88 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewys808 View Post


No hate here.

 

Maybe you need to just open your mind up a bit more...plastic does not mean cheap to many people.  Plastic by itself does not mean a compromise to Apple's brand/image if the device meets or exceed the customer's expectations.  I'm not trying to justify Apple's (rumored) decisions, just giving opinion of how I think consumers will react.

 

Just because we don't agree with you doesn't mean we hate you or don't like you personally.

 

Perhaps not you, but I got flamed quite a bit some months back. 

 

Plastic is cheap(er) or it would not be used, right? So it is, contrasted to metal, cheap. Apple moved away from plastic on all but the Airport and Apple TV products as to add value and quality, as they are a premium brand. It sets them apart. People can usually pick out an Apple product quite easily. I just hope they have anther material rather than plastic as it will cheapen the brand. 

 

[update]

 

Personally, I think a metal back that is less complicated to manufacture, having a lesser refined finish, would be more of a cost saving than a plastic back. Although plastic would presume a lesser complicated manufacturing process also.


Edited by Richard Getz - 8/21/13 at 3:10pm
post #89 of 123
What's always got me about the new, less expensive iPhones, is the colour. None of them seem to gel with what we've seen of iOS7. Does anyone else think this or am I completely off track?
post #90 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


Wrong. There are some plastics that do not crack (unless you cool them in liquid nitrogen). There are metals that do crack.

You're simply making ridiculous assumptions about things that you clearly don't understand.
So you're simply making things up and pretending they have validity.

You don't know a thing about the phone, its construction, its materials, or its features, so you have no way of knowing whether it's a quality device or not. You simply jumped to the conclusion that it must be cheap junk - no need for facts, the world is supposed to simply accept your imagination.

 

 

A) this is a rumor site so we ALL are speaking to rumored products

B) I never said or implied junk

C) Facts as provided by the RUMOR! 

 

So here we go. Those that like the RUMOR are allowed to speak their thoughts on said rumor. Those apposed to the RUMOR, get flamed!  

 

Go away! 


Edited by Richard Getz - 8/21/13 at 2:54pm
post #91 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

 

It's a platform war, so the point is market share.  Also, the top model of the iPhone is already pushing $1,000.  

 

Suppose you need a 64GB or 128GB phone for your job, but you aren't some rich asshole?  You should spin in the wind?  

Remember these things are going to be upgraded yearly or every two years at most.  

 

If you want ubiquity and to "win" the platform war, at some point you have to go for market share.  This is that. 

 

Really some rich asshole? Why are rich people assholes? I'm knowing a lot of poor people who are assholes! 

 

And your right, if you need a fast car to get to work, Ferrari should sell a mid rang car just for you! NOT! 

post #92 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soloman View Post

Since last September. I don't see anything wrong with using plastic, but there are now a plethora of hypocrites on this site that ridiculed the competition for using plastic yet now laud Apple for it.

I still ridicule Samsung for using plastic that looks like the carapace of a robot insect when you turn it over. Truly revolting gloss and layered crypto-textures. To top it off, they treat the camera module like some sort of excrescence that has formed like a pustule under the plastic.

Sorry for the medical language, but this is an emergency in tastelessness, and you are letting it go over your head in your haste to accuse others of hypocrisy.

Apple's use of plastic will be simple, frank and honest, and the result will be delightful. Also, much more robust in shape than the slippery suppository profiles that Samsung can't get away from.

Subtract this one from your plethora.
post #93 of 123

Two things....One: As much as I marveled at my iP4s, quality of design/workmanship, etc., it was a bit daft having a "glass" back (and it was heavy!). The iP5 was a vast improvement and a lot better than most critics gave it credit for. I would probably have one right now but Sprint has me locked in.

 

Two: Plastic is indeed the bane of this planet, however, I try to recycle as much as I can and am looking fwd to the 5c. I hope it's lighter and roundy'er and much better for the "Jean's test."

 

I do not use a cover on my iPhone and I do not try to impress chicks with the latest and greatest tech products. Most of them can't be bothered, anyway. I've tried. :)

 

I kind of use it for a few phone calls, a few photos, almost no video,a few texts/emails, a little nav., a little web surfing (a la Siri), and a little note taking.


Edited by christopher126 - 8/21/13 at 3:20pm
post #94 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

I still ridicule Samsung for using plastic that looks like the carapace of a robot insect when you turn it over. Truly revolting gloss and layered crypto-textures. To top it off, they treat the camera module like some sort of excrescence that has formed like a pustule under the plastic.

Sorry for the medical language, but this is an emergency in tastelessness, and you are letting it go over your head in your haste to accuse others of hypocrisy.

Apple's use of plastic will be simple, frank and honest, and the result will be delightful. Also, much more robust in shape than the slippery suppository profiles that Samsung can't get away from.

Subtract this one from your plethora.

I'm fine with ridiculing them for how they use plastic but not because they do.
post #95 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

 

not at half an imaginary price


could you clarify what you mean by "imaginary"?

post #96 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

 

... And your right, if you need a fast car to get to work, Ferrari should sell a mid rang car just for you! NOT! 

 

This is a horribly inaccurate analogy.  

post #97 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

 

This is a horribly inaccurate analogy.  

 

Apple is a premium brand. I don't know how else to put it so you understand. If you want a mid tier or cheap product, there is Samsung, Nokia, and others who will meet your needs. But you want the performance of a Ferrari in a Chrysler shell. I hope that does not happen. 


Edited by Richard Getz - 8/21/13 at 4:35pm
post #98 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewys808 View Post


could you clarify what you mean by "imaginary"?

 

existing only in the imagination

post #99 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

 

Apple is a premium brand. I don't know how else to put it so you understand. If you want a mid tier or cheap product, there is Samsung, Nokia, and others who will meet your needs. But you want the performance of a Ferrari in a Chrysler shell. I hope that does not happen. 

You really like car similes. Too bad they couldn't be more wrong. Very few people can afford a Ferrari but the vast majority of people can afford to pay $199 for the base iPhone model on contract. Just because Apple doesn't sell dirt cheap smart phones doesn't make the ones they do sell premium. They cost around the same as the Samsung Galaxy S4 or HTC One and less than some other phones like the Note 2 and soon 3. The iPhone costs the same as other smart phones in that class which means it is not exclusive or only for wealth customers. It is a consumer electronics product that people buy for their 12 year olds so hard to make that case. You might want it to sound premium because of the way that reflects on you but I have never held up my iPhone 5 in public  expecting anyone to ooh or awe over it. 

 

P.S. As much as I hate car similes when talking about Apple, the Chrysler GTS Viper might not roll off the tongue as sexily as a Ferrari, but it is a far better car in almost every way in my opinion. Ferraris can spend as much time in a shop as on the road. 

 

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. 

Reply

 

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. 

Reply
post #100 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

You really like car similes. Too bad they couldn't be more wrong. Very few people can afford a Ferrari but the vast majority of people can afford to pay $199 for the base iPhone model on contract. Just because Apple doesn't sell dirt cheap smart phones doesn't make the ones they do sell premium. They cost around the same as the Samsung Galaxy S4 or HTC One and less than some other phones like the Note 2 and soon 3. The iPhone costs the same as other smart phones in that class which means it is not exclusive or only for wealth customers. It is a consumer electronics product that people buy for their 12 year olds so hard to make that case. You might want it to sound premium because of the way that reflects on you but I have never held up my iPhone 5 in public  expecting anyone to ooh or awe over it. 

 

P.S. As much as I hate car similes when talking about Apple, the Chrysler GTS Viper might not roll off the tongue as sexily as a Ferrari, but it is a far better car in almost every way in my opinion. Ferraris can spend as much time in a shop as on the road. 

 

Dodge Viper, not Chrysler. And how can you compare a noisy, uncomfortable, hot ride in the Viper to a Ferrari (California). 

 

Aside from that, you pick which industry I can use as an analogy. I like cars because that is usually something most can relate to. 

 

I never suggested Apple to not sell a less expensive phone, and they do, the 4 and 4s. I have only suggested not to go plastic as that would cheapen the brand. Premium is not only price, but quality. Samsung can be argued as being expensive, not premium. I've always said they use a less expensive manufacturing process vs cheaper components. I've also asked several time what would be take from the current iPhone lineup to make a phone cheaper and all anyone has said is plastic case. I've even suggested to model the iPod touch but with 8GB. Still using metal, in colors and should get at or below the $400 price tag. What is wrong with that? 

post #101 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post


inexpensive != cheap

$400 != cheap

 

for a decent smartphone, especially running iOS7, that is kind of cheap because you can't get a decent $200 smartphone off contract. Really, what is a decent $200 smartphone? From any company.

post #102 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

 

I'm against a plastic, cheap iPhone.

 

LOL that is ridiculous.  As I an iPhone 5 owner, I prefer the 5C. It is more durable and practically designed for actually using it, every day.

 

And being "against" making the iPhone more affordable, yet still every bit as functional and powerful as today's iPhone 5....I have no way of even addressing that absurdity.

 

Plastic is not something to "be against". And if you really hate it, get a 5S.

post #103 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

Apple is a premium brand. I don't know how else to put it so you understand. If you want a mid tier or cheap product, there is Samsung, Nokia, and others who will meet your needs. But you want the performance of a Ferrari in a Chrysler shell. I hope that does not happen. 

OK, so you don't understand Apple's strategy, marketing, or the mobile phone industry at all.

What else don't you understand?
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #104 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


OK, so you don't understand Apple's strategy, marketing, or the mobile phone industry at all.

What else don't you understand?

 

 

what is there not to understand? Apple has moved all its desktop and handheld products away from plastic, why assume they are going back? Why are people hung up on plastic? Why not as I suggested in the bottom half of my post you quoted? 

post #105 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

 

Dodge Viper, not Chrysler. And how can you compare a noisy, uncomfortable, hot ride in the Viper to a Ferrari (California). 

 

Aside from that, you pick which industry I can use as an analogy. I like cars because that is usually something most can relate to. 

 

I never suggested Apple to not sell a less expensive phone, and they do, the 4 and 4s. I have only suggested not to go plastic as that would cheapen the brand. Premium is not only price, but quality. Samsung can be argued as being expensive, not premium. I've always said they use a less expensive manufacturing process vs cheaper components. I've also asked several time what would be take from the current iPhone lineup to make a phone cheaper and all anyone has said is plastic case. I've even suggested to model the iPod touch but with 8GB. Still using metal, in colors and should get at or below the $400 price tag. What is wrong with that? 

 

I hope you realize Dodge is owned by Chrysler. 

 

I honestly do not see how a plastic phone would cheapen the brand one iota especially since the iPhone 3 and 3GS were plastic. I have no idea why Apple chose to go this route and like you can only speculate. I would guess that their research might have shown people don't want a new "old" phone and instead want a new "new" phone. Perhaps they will also save money vs. continuing to make so many different configurations if the 4, 4S, and 5 with one single model to replace them all. They will also standardize on lightning and a 4" display. Perhaps it will also get a Qualcomm universal radio front-end 360 that will allow far fewer SKU's further saving money which would require a new phone as well. maybe it will mostly resemble the iPhone 5 internally with a few key changes. Who knows. As consumers all we can do is vote with out wallet. Personally I prefer plastic since it is far more durable and practical for day to day use. I don't spend time admiring how my phone looks. I want it to work well and not scratch easily if possible and I like the idea of not needing to buy a case. making it waterproof is also something I would love to see Apple include. The only reason I will not opt for a 5C is I prefer to have the latest components like a faster CPU/GPU, better camera and other features probably reserved for the 5S and not because I give a hoot about aluminum. It will go in a case on day one just like my 4S and 5 did from the time I took them out of the box and a plastic case I might add like millions of other iPhone users. 


Edited by gwmac - 8/21/13 at 8:32pm

 

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. 

Reply

 

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. 

Reply
post #106 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

Dodge Viper, not Chrysler. And how can you compare a noisy, uncomfortable, hot ride in the Viper to a Ferrari (California). 

Aside from that, you pick which industry I can use as an analogy. I like cars because that is usually something most can relate to. 

I never suggested Apple to not sell a less expensive phone, and they do, the 4 and 4s. I have only suggested not to go plastic as that would cheapen the brand. Premium is not only price, but quality. Samsung can be argued as being expensive, not premium. I've always said they use a less expensive manufacturing process vs cheaper components. I've also asked several time what would be take from the current iPhone lineup to make a phone cheaper and all anyone has said is plastic case. I've even suggested to model the iPod touch but with 8GB. Still using metal, in colors and should get at or below the $400 price tag. What is wrong with that? 

Here is a car analogy for you:
Lexus makes premium cars.
Lexus is owned by Toyota.
Toyota makes entry level and mid tier cars.

So is Lexus no longer premium because Toyota also makes cars in other categories?!? Does it cheapen the brand of Lexus because the basic engine and chassis are the same as an entry level Toyota?

Apple can do premium and entry level and be successful in both areas.
post #107 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post


what is there not to understand? Apple has moved all its desktop and handheld products away from plastic, why assume they are going back? Why are people hung up on plastic? Why not as I suggested in the bottom half of my post you quoted? 

Here's the deal. Apple uses plastic when it's appropriate, metal when it's appropriate. They are not doctrinaire about either. Why should you allow yourself to be? On their behalf, when clearly they don't want to be?
post #108 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

 

I hope you realize Dodge is owned by Chrysler. 

 

I honestly do not see how a plastic phone would cheapen the brand one iota especially since the iPhone 3 and 3GS were plastic. I have no idea why Apple chose to go this route and like you can only speculate. I would guess that their research might have shown people don't want a new "old" phone and instead want a new "new" phone. Perhaps they will also save money vs. continuing to make so many different configurations if the 4, 4S, and 5 with one single model to replace them all. They will also standardize on lightning and a 4" display. Perhaps it will also get a Qualcomm universal radio front-end 360 that will allow far fewer SKU's further saving money which would require a new phone as well. maybe it will mostly resemble the iPhone 5 internally with a few key changes. Who knows. As consumers all we can do is vote with out wallet. Personally I prefer plastic since it is far more durable and practical for day to day use. I don't spend time admiring how my phone looks. I want it to work well and not scratch easily if possible and I like the idea of not needing to buy a case. making it waterproof is also something I would love to see Apple include. The only reason I will not opt for a 5C is I prefer to have the latest components like a faster CPU/GPU, better camera and other features probably reserved for the 5S and not because I give a hoot about aluminum. It will go in a case on day one just like my 4S and 5 did from the time I took them out of the box and a plastic case I might add like millions of other iPhone users. 

 

Yes, as a different brand. So are you suggesting Apple spin up a different brand to offer a cheaper phone? 

 

 I don't spend time admiring how my phone looks. I want it to work well and not scratch easily

 

What would scratch matter if you don't spend time admiring your phone? 

 

I only hope Apple does not lower its standards. Thanks for the chat... 

post #109 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post


Here's the deal. Apple uses plastic when it's appropriate, metal when it's appropriate. They are not doctrinaire about either. Why should you allow yourself to be? On their behalf, when clearly they don't want to be?

 

here is the deal. Apple has moved away from plastic in all of its desktop and handheld devices. If Apple like plastic for its cheapness, why is the iPod shuffle not plastic? 

post #110 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbit View Post


Here is a car analogy for you:
Lexus makes premium cars.
Lexus is owned by Toyota.
Toyota makes entry level and mid tier cars.

So is Lexus no longer premium because Toyota also makes cars in other categories?!? Does it cheapen the brand of Lexus because the basic engine and chassis are the same as an entry level Toyota?

Apple can do premium and entry level and be successful in both areas.

 

 

Here is the reality for you. Are you saying Apple should spin up another brand to support a lower end model? To your point, what makes Lexus a Lexus? Is it not the materials, fit, finish and performance of the vehicle? To your point. As Apple does, both phones will share components to save cost when it makes sense and does not sacrifice the quality of the brand. 

 

To your point, if Lexus was made out of everything a Toyota was made from, just faster, it would then be consider a cheap, but fast car. 

 

I really don't know why people are hung up on plastic. More so, I don't know why I bother to debate it. So I wont further. Thanks for the chat! 

post #111 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

 

Yes, as a different brand. So are you suggesting Apple spin up a different brand to offer a cheaper phone? 

 

 I don't spend time admiring how my phone looks. I want it to work well and not scratch easily

 

What would scratch matter if you don't spend time admiring your phone? 

 

I only hope Apple does not lower its standards. Thanks for the chat... 

It matters because I will get a lot more money every time I sell them to buy a new iPhone if they are in like new condition. So for that reason alone it is a very important consideration. Secondly the case is not just about protecting from scratches it is about protecting it from serious damage if dropped. I don't know anyone who spends time admiring their phone beyond possibly the first few minutes after you take it out of the box. 

 

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. 

Reply

 

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. 

Reply
post #112 of 123

Apple should compare to Porsche more fit than Ferrari. Porsche sell 911 model and then sell Boxster - the small sport car with lower price . In lower price than 911, Boxster still have good quality and mid engine flat six installed, just smaller and less power. People say the real Porsche is only 911 but Porsche can sell a lot of Boxster and now recover their strength. 

post #113 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post


Exactly. Add to that students, athletes, seniors, clumsy people ... The "glass sandwich" that was the iPhone 4/S was a step backward from the 3G/S in my mind. Everything that was beautiful and "wow" about that design was destroyed by the ridiculous Apple colored bumper or any number of clunky aftermarket cases -- most of which were plastic and essentially turned the 4/S into a 3G/S.
 

 

This. My iPhone 4 is a wonderful piece of design which has been hidden in an awful bumper for all its life. 

post #114 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

here is the deal. Apple has moved away from plastic in all of its desktop and handheld devices. If Apple like plastic for its cheapness, why is the iPod shuffle not plastic? 

Because plastic was not the right material for that product in their estimation. What you don't get is that 'plastic' doesn't necessarily mean 'cheap'. There are some extremely high quality plastics. In fact, there are plastics that cost a good bit more than silver - maybe more than gold. Apple has some amazing engineers - and they excel at using the right material for the right application. If they decide to sell a phone with a plastic case, they will undoubtedly choose a good quality plastic and design it well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post


Here is the reality for you. Are you saying Apple should spin up another brand to support a lower end model? To your point, what makes Lexus a Lexus? Is it not the materials, fit, finish and performance of the vehicle? To your point. As Apple does, both phones will share components to save cost when it makes sense and does not sacrifice the quality of the brand. 

To your point, if Lexus was made out of everything a Toyota was made from, just faster, it would then be consider a cheap, but fast car. 

Toyota/Lexus isn't a good example. Take Chevrolet, for example.

Should Chevy not sell the Cruze or Sonic since they sell the Corvette? And if they want to sell the ZR1 or Z06 or Stingray, should they stop selling the base Corvette?

In reality, companies realize that they can sell different products that target different niches without ruining their market position. While I agree that it would be a mistake for Apple to sell a true crapware $50 phone, there's absolutely no sign that they're doing that. While all the whiner and Apple haters are running around in circles screaming about how Apple is ruining the brand, there's no evidence to back that claim. Given Apple's history, if they do introduce a 5C, it is likely to be a product of very high quality for its price. And it will almost certainly not be a bargain basement phone, nor will it use crappy materials.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #115 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soloman View Post


Since last September. I don't see anything wrong with using plastic, but there are now a plethora of hypocrites on this site that ridiculed the competition for using plastic yet now laud Apple for it.

 

Wrong.  Using plastic on a $700 phone is the problem like what Samdung is doing.  Using plastic on a $400 phone is expected.  There is no way you can make a metal phone with a good OS, fast processor, decent margins, and nice screen for $400. 

post #116 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Wrong.  Using plastic on a $700 phone is the problem like what Samdung is doing.  Using plastic on a $400 phone is expected.  There is no way you can make a metal phone with a good OS, fast processor, decent margins, and nice screen for $400. 

A poster earlier claimed it cost at most a couple of dollars for an aluminum shell (think it was Jragosta). If true then whether plastic or metal was used can't be that different cost-wise. If Apple has decided to use a plastic shell, and apparently they have, perhaps it's as much for the color options as anything else.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #117 of 123
I'm just as impressed the Ziploc bag didn't tear open.
You can't spell appeal without Apple.
Reply
You can't spell appeal without Apple.
Reply
post #118 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Wrong.  Using plastic on a $700 phone is the problem like what Samdung is doing.  Using plastic on a $400 phone is expected.  There is no way you can make a metal phone with a good OS, fast processor, decent margins, and nice screen for $400. 

Then why wasn't it a problem with the 3G/3GS? Those phones were $650 and up.
post #119 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

A poster earlier claimed it cost at most a couple of dollars for an aluminum shell (think it was Jragosta). If true then whether plastic or metal was used can't be that different cost-wise. If Apple has decided to use a plastic shell, and apparently they have, perhaps it's as much for the color options as anything else.

So you're going to throw your usual spanners into the works based on another poster's speculation?

There are three obvious advantages to using plastic, to a reasonable person who is also using his whole brain.

1. Durability, necessary for a peoples' world phone. This group can include teenage girls.

2. Cost.

3. Aesthetics, as long as you're using plastic, including feel (warmth, flat back and rounded shoulders) and color.

Color is no more important than any of the other considerations, in my view.

Note to jragosta: Maybe you should rethink your estimate on the iPhone back, since you can see here how any little discrepancy can be turned into a bone of contention. When the iPad mini came out someone, maybe at iSupply, said the case cost Apple as much as the display. Full disclosure: once, for effect, I tried to exaggerate in the other direction, but nobody picked up on it.
post #120 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

So you're going to throw your usual spanners into the works based on another poster's speculation?

There are three obvious advantages to using plastic, to a reasonable person who is also using his whole brain.

1. Durability, necessary for a peoples' world phone. This group can include teenage girls.

2. Cost.

3. Aesthetics, as long as you're using plastic, including feel (warmth, flat back and rounded shoulders) and color.

Color is no more important than any of the other considerations, in my view.

Note to jragosta: Maybe you should rethink your estimate on the iPhone back, since you can see here how any little discrepancy can be turned into a bone of contention. When the iPad mini came out someone, maybe at iSupply, said the case cost Apple as much as the display. Full disclosure: once, for effect, I tried to exaggerate in the other direction, but nobody picked up on it.

So you translated "perhaps as much for" into "absolutely only for"? We said exactly the same thing sir. I just didn't bother listing any other equally important reasons.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Plastic shell purportedly for Apple's 'iPhone 5C' shines in durability test
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Plastic shell purportedly for Apple's 'iPhone 5C' shines in durability test