or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Photos claim to show purported gold 'iPhone 5S' next to iPhone 5
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Photos claim to show purported gold 'iPhone 5S' next to iPhone 5

post #1 of 81
Thread Starter 
A set of photographs from a Japanese website surfaced on Thursday, supposedly showing a widely rumored gold colored "iPhone 5S" shell in various comparison shots with two current generation iPhone 5 handsets.

Gold iPhone 5S
Source: Moumantai


The images come from cellular phone parts dealer Moumantai and were published to the blog of weekly Japanese tech magazine ASCII Plus (via Nowhereelse.fr).

From the photos, it appears that the supposed "champagne" iPhone 5S casing has no significant design variations compared to the iPhone 5, including button layout, speaker holes and SIM card lot position. Everything from the rear antenna windows to the highly polished chamfered edges are identical.

Gold iPhone 5S


Rumors are heating up with an expected launch date close at hand. The latest hot topic is a new gold color option for the next generation iPhone, which some sources have described as a more elegant "champagne" hue, not a gaudy "ingot." Parts hinting at the new color choice have been circulating for some time, but not much attention was paid until a supposed shell appeared last week.

Gold iPhone 5S


Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities, who has a reliable track record in predicting Apple product announcements, said last week that the gold case color will be offered alongside the traditional black and silver options currently seen with the iPhone 5. He also sees Apple introducing a new 128GB storage option for the 5S, which is expected to feature revamped internals and a fingerprint sensor.

Gold iPhone 5S


It is speculated that if Apple is indeed planning to introduce a gold version of the iPhone 5S, the move may be a play at the booming Chinese handset market. Recent research has shown that color preference is trending toward gold and orange in the Asia-Pacific region.

Apple is rumored to announce its next iPhone model at a special event on Sept. 10, with a rollout to follow shortly thereafter.
post #2 of 81
Looks great!
post #3 of 81
From the looks of it this is just the current iPhone 5 v2. My expectations for the 2014 line up:

iPhone 5s (better camera, more sensors, fingerprint recognition) in black, white, champagne
iPhone 5e (global LTE support) in black, white, champagne
iPhone 5c (plastic shell, no LTE) in multiple colors
post #4 of 81
OMG Earth shattering!!
post #5 of 81

Very nice but what color are the missing top and bottom parts?

 

They could actually be black, white or champagne.

post #6 of 81

That color looks exactly like my car which is billed as "champagne gold". It doesn't look blingy or tacky at all, in fact the car is very forgettable because a lot of things in Southern California are the dry tan color.

post #7 of 81
Secrecy. Doubled down.

Yeeaaaahhhh...
Apple Products: So good that their ‘faulty' products outsell competitor’s faultless ones...
Reply
Apple Products: So good that their ‘faulty' products outsell competitor’s faultless ones...
Reply
post #8 of 81

"Champagne" can look nice. I remember the Marantz gear in the early 00s. As long as it's not "gold".

 

post #9 of 81
I think this would look better with black bezels than white ones
post #10 of 81
Looks very classy and subtle. This will likely be the most popular model this time around simply because its "new"
post #11 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doxxic View Post

I think this would look better with black bezels than white ones

I agree.

It's such a subtle tone it could look good in black but I think it'll still be better in white.
post #12 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doxxic View Post

I think this would look better with black bezels than white ones

I disagree.

Besides, you can see by the antenna lines they'll be white.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #13 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Looks very classy and subtle. This will likely be the most popular model this time around simply because its "new"

If this is the real part it looks great, but I doubt it'll be the most popular iPhone 5S colour.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #14 of 81

That looks like a great color. No doubt it will be a popular. And mark my words: other manufacturers will follow suit. I hate that people go crazy, saying Apple has lost its touch over a color.

post #15 of 81

If only it were scratch resistant, so I wouldn't have to hide it inside a case... :(

post #16 of 81
Ok someone help me out....where's the bling exactly?
post #17 of 81
Here's another leaked photo of the colored iPhones via 9to5Mac. The person who leaked it claims there won't be a black one but I have my doubts about that. Especially since we've seen black case leak. I'm starting to warm to these...I think they'll be huge with young people and women.

screen-shot-2013-08-22-at-9-22-10-am.png?w=1232&h=788
post #18 of 81
If you notice that ever since pictures of 5s and 5c started to leak there is never a front picture of it, which means Apple is still has its image of keeping at least something behind its gates
post #19 of 81
I really want to see that home button
post #20 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Here's another leaked photo of the colored iPhones via 9to5Mac. The person who leaked it claims there won't be a black one but I have my doubts about that. Especially since we've seen black case leak. I'm starting to warm to these...I think they'll be huge with young people and women.

screen-shot-2013-08-22-at-9-22-10-am.png?w=1232&h=788

 

Those are hot!  Nothing like the slimy plastic Samsung junk. I might get one of these instead of the 5S.

post #21 of 81
And you guys would believe lightsabers are real if I showed you a photo of a Jedi using one. As long as some website claimed it was real.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #22 of 81
The champagne color looks really good. Now I'm kind of hoping my wife chooses that instead of the white again.

Couldn't help but chuckle seeing the Marantz amp earlier in the thread! So distinctive, reminds me of the 80s.
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
post #23 of 81
Looks good. As suspected, not really "gold" at all. Just another classy metallic shade.
post #24 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

And you guys would believe lightsabers are real if I showed you a photo of a Jedi using one. As long as some website claimed it was real.
Did any of the leaked photos last year turn out to be false? I don't think so. What will turn out to be false are all the horrible computer renders based on leaks. Like all these hideous bling bling 24 carat gold mockups of the "gold" iPhone. When any person with even a little common sense knew the color would be like the champagne color you see on Lexus SUVs and other vehicles.
post #25 of 81
The "gold"/champagne mock-up looks a bit like 'white gold'.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #26 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Here's another leaked photo of the colored iPhones via 9to5Mac. The person who leaked it claims there won't be a black one but I have my doubts about that. Especially since we've seen black case leak. I'm starting to warm to these...I think they'll be huge with young people and women.
 

 

I think these will be okay and sell great but none of these colours are anything I would carry around except perhaps the white.  

 

I haven't seen any black case leak though and I thought I'd been watching carefully.  I've seen some mockups of black on various sites, but no actual pictures of anything other than these five. Do you remember where it was or the source?

post #27 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Those are hot!  Nothing like the slimy plastic Samsung junk. I might get one of these instead of the 5S.
It seems pretty obvious what Apple is doing now that they'll have two lines of phones. The cheaper line will be colorful and fun, the flagship line will have more of a luxury feel to it. And the white men that think its all ugly and tacky can go Android. 1biggrin.gif
post #28 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I think these will be okay and sell great but none of these colours are anything I would carry around except perhaps the white.  

I haven't seen any black case leak though and I thought I'd been watching carefully.  I've seen some mockups of black on various sites, but no actual pictures of anything other than these five. Do you remember where it was or the source?
BGR was the source. And my guess is you're not the intended market for these phones. 1wink.gif
post #29 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

And you guys would believe lightsabers are real if I showed you a photo of a Jedi using one. As long as some website claimed it was real.

 

screen-shot-2013-08-22-at-9-22-10-am.png?w=1232&h=788

 

An elegant phone for a more civilized age... That "champagne" color does look a whole lot better when placed next to black and white versions. Sticking with black, though. I'm not a fan of the other colors. The green and white ones are good, but I don't understand the fascination with the milky-faded yellow and red.
post #30 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

Very nice but what color are the missing top and bottom parts? They could actually be black, white or champagne.

White would be a good match - a very slight tint of orange/yellow would help ease the contrast like eggshell white/light magnolia but it has the effect of dulling the overall appearance:



White keeps it sharper looking IMO (it's a little hard to tell the difference here but the highlights with white would be brighter - technically it would look like the white one next to it but I lightened it as it didn't look good that way and would look whiter in most lighting conditions):



A black logo fits with their lineup generally and stands out more but they typically go with a shade that matches the metal - the black one in the original photo looks a bit like it's been photoshopped:



I was about to question the legitimacy of the color choices in the plastic models in light of this but the above photo Rogifan posted with the plastic ones looks better. Too much like the Lumia for my liking though:



If they all have white fronts, it will differentiate them from the Lumia style.
post #31 of 81
So the gold one doesn't have the fcc filings. Does that mean it's China exclusive?
post #32 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrodriguez View Post

So the gold one doesn't have the fcc filings. Does that mean it's China exclusive?

It means that only the black and white one are currently on sale. Those will just be iPhone 5 models put next to the champagne one for comparison.
post #33 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by sennen View Post

The champagne color looks really good. Now I'm kind of hoping my wife chooses that instead of the white again..

Funnily enough I just showed her these photos and she said she would get the champagne color if it was one of the choices available.
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
post #34 of 81

In further news, Fords are now available in colours other than black.

 

::Yawn::

post #35 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by sennen View Post

Funnily enough I just showed her these photos and she said she would get the champagne color if it was one of the choices available.
Yes, women will love this. All the complaints are probably coming from white men.
post #36 of 81

Very tasteful- totally better than any Imelda Gabor "champagne" colorway as speculated over and over on here.

Masculine too- very subtle. Though definitely not something SJ would ever approve of as he loathed beige. 

 
Where's the new Apple TV?
Reply
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
Reply
post #37 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilM View Post

In further news, Fords are now available in colours other than black.

::Yawn::

How many colors can I choose from if I want an S4 or an HTC One?

::Yawn::
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
post #38 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

And you guys would believe lightsabers are real if I showed you a photo of a Jedi using one. As long as some website claimed it was real.

A Japanese website?

post #39 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F. View Post

That looks like a great color. No doubt it will be a popular. And mark my words: other manufacturers will follow suit. I hate that people go crazy, saying Apple has lost its touch over a color.

Apple has done that color before. People are crazy.

http://archive.techtree.com/techtree/jsp/article.jsp?article_id=55782&cat_id=571
post #40 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Very tasteful- totally better than any Imelda Gabor "champagne" colorway as speculated over and over on here.

Masculine too- very subtle. Though definitely not something SJ would ever approve of as he loathed beige. 

 

Steve would never do...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Photos claim to show purported gold 'iPhone 5S' next to iPhone 5