or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Photos claim to show purported gold 'iPhone 5S' next to iPhone 5

Photos claim to show purported gold 'iPhone 5S' next to iPhone 5 - Page 2

post #41 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Steve would never do...

That's champagne not beige.

Where's the new Apple TV?

And still waiting for SolipsismX to prove his accusation:
"And yet they haven't loved Google Wallet which you claimed was the exact same thing and kept posting...

"And yet they haven't loved Google Wallet which you claimed was the exact same thing and kept posting...
post #42 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I disagree.

Besides, you can see by the antenna lines they'll be white.

Actually, the antenna lines don't look exactly white either, they look slightly gold too. So following that cue would indicate a new bezel color that matches the gold.

post #43 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Very tasteful- totally better than any Imelda Gabor "champagne" colorway as speculated over and over on here.

Masculine too- very subtle. Though definitely not something SJ would ever approve of as he loathed beige. 

Steve would never do...

post #44 of 81
Quote:

That's champagne not beige.

Apple called it "gold".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPod_Mini

post #45 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

The "gold"/champagne mock-up looks a bit like 'white gold'.

Ahhh! That might be the name. I was thinking "quartz" or "sand" (goes with the whole California beach culture), but white gold sounds more straight forward. Somewhere in a conference room in Cupertino are a couple pieces of paper on a table. I would bet "white gold" is on one of those papers. I would betn a trash can, 

post #46 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by macspotter View Post

From the looks of it this is just the current iPhone 5 v2. My expectations for the 2014 line up:

iPhone 5s (better camera, more sensors, fingerprint recognition) in black, white, champagne
iPhone 5e (global LTE support) in black, white, champagne
iPhone 5c (plastic shell, no LTE) in multiple colors

What does this even mean?  What are the "s" models if not the regular models "v2"? 

post #47 of 81
I doubt Apple would call it Champagne – they tend to favor basic, solid, strong elemental themes – glass, aluminum, silver, slate, black, white. Champagne sounds soft, fizzy, frivolous. Even with their new rainbow iPods the color names are unassuming and basic - blue, yellow, pink. So my guess is the gold color would be called something solid and elemental – like gold, or sand, or quartz (which has many hues).

It doesn't seem to follow their logic to "borrow" the old black or white bezel to go with a new gold. I would think they would give it a new basic bezel color – possibly goldish. Or maybe it'll be gold metal to give it the look of a gold bar. They might give the option to choose black or white, but that would open a whole new service of choosing optional colors – but maybe that's exactly what Apple is considering? Optional bezel colors for all three phones?
post #48 of 81
Quote:

Steve would never do...

Just to be picky, neither of those are beige, and lots of folks thought the "flower power" one was actually pretty cute.  

Apple always went with "putty" over beige, even in the "beige box" days.  

What surprises me is that when people talk about bad taste decisions at Apple, they never seem to mention these horrid things:

Now that's ugly!  (and they were perceived as ugly at the time also, not just in retrospect)

And they were kind of poorly designed as well even from a functional point of view. 

post #49 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

BGR was the source. And my guess is you're not the intended market for these phones. 1wink.gif

Thanks for the source.  I think I'd buy one if it came in purple though.  1smile.gif

post #50 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by macspotter View Post

From the looks of it this is just the current iPhone 5 v2. My expectations for the 2014 line up:

iPhone 5s (better camera, more sensors, fingerprint recognition) in black, white, champagne
iPhone 5e (global LTE support) in black, white, champagne
iPhone 5c (plastic shell, no LTE) in multiple colors

Why wouldn't the iPhone 5S also have global LTE support, obviating the need for a separate SKU (your proposed "iPhone 5e")?

post #51 of 81
Quote:

Yes, women will love this. All the complaints are probably coming from white men.

Could be.  On the other hand I was thinking that men might like it because it's a way of not getting a jet black phone (which a lot of guys don't want) but still not having to worry about being thought of as effete or feminine because they chose the white one.  It's kind of a light-coloured white alternative.  I've always thought they should make a kind of grey one for the same reason.  Same as the white one but with grey glass instead of white.  

post #52 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Secrecy. Doubled down.

Yeeaaaahhhh...

Based on history alone, everybody knows yearly updates to iPhones, iPads, iPods, etc, are coming months in advance.  My 10 year old knows that when summer gets here, a new iPhone is reaching its development end-game and subsequent launch.  It is only a question of precisely when.  Furthermore, a new iPhone launch is preceded by a massive manufacturing ramp involving tens of thousand of hands and a multitude of components vendors, with well-connected tech media swarming around the known suppliers.  As such, it is absolutely impossible to keep all details of a new iPhone secret.

Yes, I know that Tim made the statement that you are referring to, but my interpretation is that he was referring to the pipeline and details of NEW products, or at least ones that aren't on their 6th generation with a history of annual updates (roughly).  Analysts and others are certainly publicizing their opinions about iWatch, iTV, etc, but I think that when any of these new products are actually unveiled, there will be some important surprises.

Let's wait until the Apple pipeline that Tim has alluded to starts to release its contents.  Then we can assess the results of Apple's "doubled-down secrecy".

Thompson

post #53 of 81

Why have I never seen this before?! And this is just in Apple internally, not at a keynote. They must have been showing him their work. 

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

post #54 of 81

Man, this is what I call "innovation". A new color!. Who would have thought? This is what people really wanted, a new color! No, no 5 inch screen, no NFC, a new color! Tim Cook is a true visionary!

post #55 of 81
Originally Posted by NelsonX View Post
Man, this is what I call "innovation". A new color!. Who would have thought? This is what people really wanted, a new color! No, no 5 inch screen, no NFC, a new color! Tim Cook is a true visionary!

Come off it, please.

post #56 of 81
Quote:

Wow NFC, 5" screen. How innovative! No one has done that before!
post #57 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why have I never seen this before?! And this is just in Apple internally, not at a keynote. They must have been showing him their work.

It was in the keynote when they introduced 10.4
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
post #58 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F. View Post

That looks like a great color. No doubt it will be a popular. And mark my words: other manufacturers will follow suit. I hate that people go crazy, saying Apple has lost its touch over a color.

OMG Apple invented a new color! They should patent it!

post #59 of 81
Quote:

If they can not innovate at least they should try coping

post #60 of 81
Quote:

OMG Apple invented a new color! They should patent it!

Maybe you should patent your words, just so no one is allowed to say stupid things 1biggrin.gif
post #61 of 81
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I know, but these images of Steve are internal stuff. 

Oh, and remember the one they had where it cut out the mouth and would track yours to it? Whatever happened to that one?!

post #62 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by sennen View Post

Funnily enough I just showed her these photos and she said she would get the champagne color if it was one of the choices available.

I showed my wife and and she wants champagne too- she got excited.  She's hispanic (but more like a coconut- brown on the outside but white in the middle).  1smoking.gif

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini Retina, iPhone 6, iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #63 of 81
Quote:

If they can not innovate at least they should try coping

Innovate like being the first laptop to use PCIe for the flash HD?  Or the first to delivery 12 hours of battery life?  All while weighing under 3 pounds.

The Mac Pro is obviously innovative- let's not try to argue that.

Thats all from the only product (and one announced product) that they released so far this year... so 100% of their products have been innovative- not copying- in 2013.  Now shoo fly, don't bother me

post #64 of 81

A champagne colored iPhone 5S seems plausible. It apparently looks far better than those supposed train wreck looking iPhone 5C cases.

If a iPhone 5C will exist, I doubt it will be the horrible cases we have previous seen leaked.

post #65 of 81

A champagne colored is beautiful but color of 5C seem too light.

I want it red as a red Ferrari, blue as blue in 370z, yellow as yellow Porsche, white as white LF-A, black as black GT-R and green like green apple. 

I don't know what color in leak cases be called but it's not inspire to something that great.

post #66 of 81
Quote:

Yes.  This was the first time Steve saw and played with a demo of what would become Photo Booth.

That is Mike Matas in the background.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Photo Booth was first introduced in 10.4 but these images are not from the Keynote.

Quote:

I know, but these images of Steve are internal stuff. 

Oh, and remember the one they had where it cut out the mouth and would track yours to it? Whatever happened to that one?!

That I've never seen.

post #67 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F. View Post

That looks like a great color. No doubt it will be a popular. And mark my words: other manufacturers will follow suit. I hate that people go crazy, saying Apple has lost its touch over a color.

Others will follow but champagne won't look good except on metal bodies, a good reason for Apple to do it.

post #68 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doxxic View Post

I think this would look better with black bezels than white ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

I agree.

It's such a subtle tone it could look good in black but I think it'll still be better in white.

Umm, how exactly do you agree with him when he thinks black is better and you think " it'll still be better in white"?

post #69 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by dillio View Post

The only way you could double down more on secrecy nowadays is to release decoys. I don't think you can stop things like this one from appearing any longer.

Thousands of workers already building parts if not assembling the whole thing. It's remarkable there are more leaks.

post #70 of 81
Quote:

Is a 5" screen innovation?

post #71 of 81
That I've never seen.

It's at 3:30.

post #72 of 81
Quote:

A Japanese website?

If it's a Japanese website and shaped like a penis, then it's probably not a lightsaber. 1wink.gif

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #73 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

Is a 5" screen innovation?

Innovation is spraying arrows in all directions and seeing what sticks. /s

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #74 of 81
Quote:

Yeah, I don't know how one can argue how mainstream jumbo phone screens or NFC are and then call not following this (claimed) trend a "lack of innovation." It seems logically inconsistent to call copying the herd "innovation."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #75 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Just to be picky, neither of those are beige, and lots of folks thought the "flower power" one was actually pretty cute.  

What surprises me is that when people talk about bad taste decisions at Apple, they never seem to mention these horrid things:

Now that's ugly!  (and they were perceived as ugly at the time also, not just in retrospect)

And they were kind of poorly designed as well even from a functional point of view. 

God those things were slow as molasses. My iphone is faster than them.The good old days.

post #76 of 81

If Apple calls the black one "Slate" I am going to guess the gold one will be called "Ochre." Calling it gold or champagne both sound too tacky.

post #77 of 81
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

God those things were slow as molasses. My iphone is faster than them.The good old days.

I recall they were called the 'toilet seat' Macs.

Never got one. I nearly drifted away from Apple then, but glad I stayed the course!
post #78 of 81
iPhone 5s hope is a good update, however the rumors are of a unnecessary phone launch will limit it down.
post #79 of 81
If the event is on Sept 10, there should be an announcement of the event via invites around the 28th in order for people to travel to where ever the place it will be held at. But wouldn't they rather wait until October to get production of all the end-of-2013 products ready?

I mean, the fall months are... Sept, Oct, Nov

I always pick the middle one out of those because they probably focus on drying the supply of old gen products and getting in orders completed for their newer ones. I'd say Oct 8 is more logical... it's right in between the Fall quarter, given a week or two for pre-orders and an extra month to finish squashing bugs on iOS and Mavericks final beta's. The GM builds are almost there. Probably an extra month to finish them... given the rumor that they check progress on the builds every 2 weeks with beta updates in between them.

iTunes Radio - Apple TV with Wifi AC - Gold Anodized Aluminum iPhone - Mac Pro: September - November 2013

iTunes Radio - Apple TV with Wifi AC - Gold Anodized Aluminum iPhone - Mac Pro: September - November 2013

post #80 of 81
Quote:

Those were the dark times.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Photos claim to show purported gold 'iPhone 5S' next to iPhone 5