or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple CEO Tim Cook profiled as a 'methodical, no-nonsense' leader who isn't afraid to make tough decisions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple CEO Tim Cook profiled as a 'methodical, no-nonsense' leader who isn't afraid to make tough...

post #1 of 67
Thread Starter 
Apple under Tim Cook has become a kinder, gentler company than it was during the regime of Steve Jobs, but the current chief executive still has the ability to strike fear into his subordinates, a new profile reveals.

Tim Cook


A closer look at Cook was given in a new feature published by Reuters on Thursday, detailing how Apple has changed in the last two years under his watch. Cook took over in August of 2011 when Jobs was forced to resign because of declining health. The company co-founder died only a few months later.

While Jobs was legendary for his sometimes ruthless aggression, Cook has a much more calm demeanor that Apple itself has come to reflect. Among the more noteworthy changes, Apple has become more transparent about its overseas supply chain, while Cook has also instituted a charitable matching program for employees to donate up to $10,000.

Despite his reputation as a "nice guy," Cook and his "methodical, no-nonsense style" can be intimidating, the new profile reveals. The CEO will reportedly rock steadily in his chair while listening in a meeting. If the pace changes, that's when employees become concerned.

cook


With just one sentence, Cook can make an employee feel like they "want to crawl in a hole and die," one person familiar with the CEO told Reuters.

Among the toughest decisions he has made was firing Scott Forstall, the company's previous head of iOS development. That decision came after the launch of iOS 6 and Apple's new Maps application in late 2012 ? a product so subpar that Cook felt compelled to issue an apology to customers, and even recommend alternative mapping applications.

The profile also revealed the effects of corporate change at Apple under Cook. The company's number of employees have grown exponentially, but there have also reportedly been a greater number of departures from Apple, with Silicon Valley recruiters indicating they see more resumes from Apple employees than ever before ? particularly from hardware engineers.

Cook China
Cook visiting a Foxconn plant in China last year.


One recruiter signaled they are "being inundated" with inquiries from Apple workers they "never imagined" would leave the company, while some recent employees are looking to leave because they "joined expecting something different than they encountered."

However, others said that Apple has become a better place to work under Cook, as it is now less "crazy" and "draconian" than it was with Jobs as CEO.

Cook has been under scrutiny at times this year as his company's stock tumbled following the launch of the iPhone 5 in late 2012. Despite recent gains offsetting some of those losses, some observers have expressed concern about Apple's ability to innovate post-Jobs.

Tim Cook


Contributing to those concerns was the fact that Apple did not launch any major product updates in the first half of 2013 ? an uncharacteristically long dry spell for the company that has seen explosive growth in the last decade. Apple's next blockbuster product launch is expected to take place on Sept. 10, when the company will reportedly unveil a new flagship iPhone, as well as a less expensive model with a plastic back.

Also on tap for this fall are a redesigned full-size iPad, and a new iPad mini that is expected to feature a high-resolution Retina display. Cook has also promised that his company has surprises in the works, with new products set to launch throughout 2014.
post #2 of 67
Kind of a lame profile that doesn't tell us much we don't already know.
post #3 of 67
This 'uncharacteristically dry spell' in Apple innovation is a crock. It's only because iPhone and iPad were three years apart. From a technical development standpoint, they're really just one product; they're based on the same technology. Even Steve Jobs said that iPhone was an outgrowth of iPod development. If you look at Apple's history, the major innovations are spaced farther apart: Apple II 1977, Macintosh 1984, Newton 1993, iPod 2001, iPhone 2007. So it's about 7-8 years average between new product innovations, not 3 years. The only reason people latched onto 3 years was that a lot of analysts and bloggers started paying attention to Apple only after iPhone and didn't bother to look up the company's history.
Edited by tundraboy - 8/22/13 at 8:34am
post #4 of 67
I do hope Mr Cook keeps healthy. For fifty-two, he looks very thin, and has aging skin beyond his years. Steve experimented with his diet to his detriment and could it be that Tim has some interesting food peculiarities?

A junk food or SAD, Standard American Diet (high carbohydrate grains, legumes and starchy vegetables lead the pyramid) can be lacking in nutrients, especially as one ages, and could lead him down the trail that did Steve in if he is also so inclined to follow. Many just assume because of the food guide and media debate that animal products are bad and plant source foods are the better, healthy alternative.

Here is not the place to argue the superiority of Vegan versus Paleo diets. It's just that from pictures and videos he does look far older than most men his age.

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

Reply

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

Reply
post #5 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

This 'uncharacteristically dry spell' in Apple innovation is a crock. 

 

I think the author meant no new models were released for the first half of this year. Apple historically releases new models throughout the year. However, I do believe there was a shift for a reason and I believe the full size iPad will be moved back to the Spring, leaving the iPad mini with a Fall release for the Holidays. I think they should do the same with the iPhone (if they plan on releasing a second model). This will allow them to have product releases that are more in line with how the rest of the industry works and will give them a constant stream of positive publicity.

Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
post #6 of 67
Show me a company that's innovating and changing rules of the game every year - Google? Samsung? Microsoft? Everybody is waiting for Apple's next move, because they can't figure it out themselves... all these screams about Apple being not innovative sound more like 'we're out of ideas, nobody wants to buy out shite', while Apple still keeps reaping most of the industry profits and works on the next big thing. If they were so easy to deliver, everybody would be doing them, stupid.
post #7 of 67
It is interesting to read the slants that this article is generating on multiple websites!

This version is tame compared to the other versions.
post #8 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingthebigG View Post

It is interesting to read the slants that this article is generating on multiple websites!

This version is tame compared to the other versions.

Meaning what? Can you be a bit more specific?

post #9 of 67
Give me a break. Wall Street definitely sees Tim Cook as a pansy and a pushover. I doubt any hedge fund managers would have approached Steve Jobs looking for a cash payout. They probably would have gotten his fist in their face, instead. With Tim Cook they figure they can walk all over him and browbeat him into giving up most of that reserve cash. They threaten Apple but they don't threaten Google. The hedge funds treat Google like some golden idol and give it a nice respectable P/E.

The hedge funds know that Eric Schmidt and Larry page don't take crap and play dirty. It's plain to see the hedge funds look at Tim Cook and see a mild-mannered wuss. It's positively disgusting how Apple is treated as a stock. Apple hasn't put out a product in almost a year and take a look at Apple's market cap compared to Exxon, Google or Microsoft. It's way up there in lights with a relatively low P/E and yet the hedge funds are thinking Apple is a risky bet. Ridiculous. They'd rather put their money into Google.
post #10 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

If you look at Apple's history, the major innovations are spaced farther apart: Apple II 1977, Macintosh 1984, Newton 1993, iPod 2001, iPhone 2007.

 

I'd add the PowerBook (1991) to that list.  But I agree with the overall point: it's generally 7-10 years between major innovations.  Simply because, from inception to commercial product, it takes that long to get a new technology "right".

 
Reply
 
Reply
post #11 of 67

I want to know what he say's that makes you want to feel like you should crawl back into a hole and die.  Can't be any worse than an old boss of mine.

post #12 of 67

I really can't understand why people say that Apple doesn't innovate anymore.

As another person mentioned here, it was very exceptional to have 2 revolutionary products within 3 years.

Apple would be foolish to release a new idea too early, even when that means loosing revenue for awhile. 

The only thing that bothers me with Apple for the moment is that they release most of the their stuff in the second half of the year (Mac pro, iPads, iPhones, iOS, OSX). They should spread it over 3 periods in the year. With the group release, the excitement is gone for a specific Apple product.

post #13 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

This 'uncharacteristically dry spell' in Apple innovation is a crock. It's only because iPhone and iPad were three years apart. From a technical development stand point, they're really just one product; they're based on the same technology. Even Steve Jobs said that. iPhone was an outgrowth of iPod development.
. . .
If you look at Apple's history, the major innovations are spaced farther apart: Apple II 1977, Macintosh 1984, Newton 1993, iPod 2001, iPhone 2007. So it's about 7-8 years average between new product innovations, not 3 years. The only reason people latched on 3 years is that a lot of analysts and bloggers started paying attention to Apple only after iPhone and didn't bother to look up the company's hidtory.
Many have said what you say in much larger lengths, but not as succinctly and to the point as you have done here, audio. Kudos.
Edited by mhikl - 8/22/13 at 7:44am

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

Reply

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

Reply
post #14 of 67

It would have been a huge mistake for Apple to try to keep its "culture" the same without Steve Jobs at helm. He was a unique individual and he ran the company in a unique way. If Tim Cook had taken over the job with the attitude of trying to run it "Steve's way" it simply wouldn't have worked.

 

That being said, the jury is still out on Tim Cook. Apple Maps in iOS 6 was a warning sign. It was troubling that he was so disconnected from a major new feature of iOS that he did not know how bad it was. Or possibly he did know about it but simply didn't understand how bad it was.

 

It is also troubling what has been done with their desktop computer line. So much focus on mobile (iOS devices and laptops) because they seem to be outselling desktop hardware. Their take on why this is happening is that everyone wants mobile stuff. However, I think the more obvious reason is because their desktop line (Mini, iMac and Mac Pro) simply aren't compelling.

 

I have no doubt that Tim Cook is a talented/smart executive. It will be interesting to see what happens with Apple. But, if I was forced to place a bet on if he will be considered successful as Apple's CEO, I would bet "no."

 

-kpluck

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

Reply

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

Reply
post #15 of 67
I am personally surprised that we didn't get any product upgrades in the beginning of 2013. Apple has typically launched something in the first half of the year, and it's never had more resources or company acquisitions than it has now. I'm not saying I want product upgrades twice as often because of that, I'm just surprised that's it's actually slowed. Also, about a year ago Cook said they were chalk full of new new stuff in the pipeline. Not as chalky as I was hoping. Not quite chalky enough.
post #16 of 67
http://www.theatlanticwire.com/technology/2013/08/apple-ceo-tim-cooks-uninspiring-style-pushing-employees-away/68608/

When Tim took over after Steve died and people were saying that this is the end, I said "Don't be so negative and give him some time." That statement may be coming back to bite me.

Just as an example and not to sound like an angry nerd but integrated graphics in a pro notebook? Mr Cook, "That is not only not good enough. That is deplorable."

Apple won't go downhill though I believe much like the iconic Pink Floyd song, it will just become "another brick in the wall."
post #17 of 67
Those observers don't know the definition of "innovate."
post #18 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinpublic View Post

I am personally surprised that we didn't get any product upgrades in the beginning of 2013. Apple has typically launched something in the first half of the year, and it's never had more resources or company acquisitions than it has now. I'm not saying I want product upgrades twice as often because of that, I'm just surprised that's it's actually slowed. Also, about a year ago Cook said they were chalk full of new new stuff in the pipeline. Not as chalky as I was hoping. Not quite chalky enough.
I'd rather have Apple release stuff when it's ready than just pump stuff out to scratch someone's itch.
post #19 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

It would have been a huge mistake for Apple to try to keep its "culture" the same without Steve Jobs at helm. He was a unique individual and he ran the company in a unique way. If Tim Cook had taken over the job with the attitude of trying to run it "Steve's way" it simply wouldn't have worked.

That being said, the jury is still out on Tim Cook. Apple Maps in iOS 6 was a warning sign. It was troubling that he was so disconnected from a major new feature of iOS that he did not know how bad it was. Or possibly he did know about it but simply didn't understand how bad it was.

It is also troubling what has been done with their desktop computer line. So much focus on mobile (iOS devices and laptops) because they seem to be outselling desktop hardware. Their take on why this is happening is that everyone wants mobile stuff. However, I think the more obvious reason is because their desktop line (Mini, iMac and Mac Pro) simply aren't compelling.

I have no doubt that Tim Cook is a talented/smart executive. It will be interesting to see what happens with Apple. But, if I was forced to place a bet on if he will be considered successful as Apple's CEO, I would bet "no."

-kpluck

Mobile "seems" to be out selling the Macs? By and large Apple makes more money on iOS devices. The iMac was refreshed last year. Give me a break.

Luckily for you no one will take your bet. You'd lose everything.
post #20 of 67

I want to add that Apple hadn't been SEEN as innovating until it UNVEILED the iMac, iPod, the iPhone, the iPad, the MacBook Air, the new Pro, iOS 7, Mavericks.

 

Turns out they had been innovating all along.

 

Tim & co., release it when it's ready. I'm prepared to be amazed (whatever it is).

post #21 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhikl View Post

I do hope Mr Cook keeps healthy. For fifty-two, he looks very thin, and has aging skin beyond his years. Steve experimented with his diet to his detriment and could it be that Tim has some interesting food peculiarities?

A junk food or SAD, Standard American Diet (high carbohydrate grains, legumes and starchy vegetables lead the pyramid) can be lacking in nutrients, especially as one ages, and could lead him down the trail that did Steve in if he is also so inclined to follow. Many just assume because of the food guide and media debate that animal products are bad and plant source foods are the better, healthy alternative.

Here is not the place to argue the superiority of Vegan versus Paleo diets. It's just that from pictures and videos he does look far older than most men his age.

 

I guess it depends on which version you listen to, this doctor (youtube) says Steve didn't die because of his food diet, he actually had cancer and symptoms since he was a young man. I don't want to spend too much time summarizing his talk (not that I could :p), and it has been a while since I watched it. We know his cancer was the slow spreading sort, but from the time he knew about it until his last days, the spread rate of he cancer suggest he was living with cancer for decades, the popular story was he had it for a few years only and his vegetarian diet failed him.

post #22 of 67
Originally Posted by Winter View Post
Just as an example and not to sound like an angry nerd but integrated graphics in a pro notebook? Mr Cook, "That is not only not good enough. That is deplorable."

 

Steve would never do… 

 

Originally Posted by murman View Post
I guess it depends on which version you listen to, this doctor (youtube) says Steve didn't die because of his food diet, he actually had cancer and symptoms since he was a young man. I don't want to spend too much time summarizing his talk (not that I could :p), and it has been a while since I watched it. We know his cancer was the slow spreading sort, but from the time he knew about it until his last days, the spread rate of he cancer suggest he was living with cancer for decades, the popular story was he had it for a few years only and his vegetarian diet failed him.

 

Marvin posted that a while back, and I believe part of that only. The doctor has an agenda, but I don't think it's ludicrous to suggest Steve wasn't himself the reason for his own death.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #23 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Those observers don't know the definition of "innovate."

Absolutely agree. How many have actually been in R&D? Cook was handpicked by Jobs and he is doing a great job. Don't worry about those leaving Apple or who want to leave... they are finally taking a chance. First we had reports about Apple employees (and others) who complained about Jobs, now it's Cook, and the recently released JOBS people, I wouldn't want these whiners to work for me either. What WAS their contribution? If Steve actually had the time to check out everyone working there, I am sure a lot more would be gone. Whiners ARE NOT doers.

post #24 of 67
mr Fring... from breaking bad...the Article seems to suggest that Tim Cook is that Character... "strikes fear into his Employees" exactly what "Mr fring" did in the first episode of season 4 "Box Cutter"... (in Tim Cook's case, fear "the pen is mighter than the sword"... i.e. pink slip.)
post #25 of 67
I mean in the upper tier 15" models Tallest if rumors are to be believed. I know the base level 13" models have always been integrated. You know me better than to believe I have fallen into the trap of becoming of those "Steve Jobs was perfect and he would never do A, B, or C."
post #26 of 67

The most concerning part of the article is this part;

 

"Some Silicon Valley recruiters and former Apple employees at rival companies say they are seeing more Apple resumes than ever before, especially from hardware engineers, though the depth and breadth of any brain-drain remains difficult to quantify, especially given the recent expansion in staff numbers.

"I am being inundated by LinkedIn messages and emails both by people who I never imagined would leave Apple and by people who have been at Apple for a year, and who joined expecting something different than what they encountered," said one recruiter with ties to Apple"

 

Talent retention will be Apple's biggest challenge.

post #27 of 67
Originally Posted by Winter View Post
I mean in the upper tier 15" models Tallest if rumors are to be believed.

 

You remember that was my rumor, right? At least, I think it was. Just prepare yourself for the worst; doesn't mean it will happen.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #28 of 67

The timing of Apple's product releases has been historically about bringing a product to market when it's ready and not a second before. It's not about doing it the other way around, namely setting a date for a product release internally and then introducing it to market, ready or not. 

 

It's not just about how good the product is in isolation but also what happens when customers start using the device or software, as in, does it enhance their lives, or something of that sort. In other words, does the device, in the hands of the average consumer, provide something to that consumer that will make them glad they bought it. 

 

This means you have to have the right product, for the right price, that can endear itself to the purchaser, right from the start. The iPad, for example, was amazingly quick to succeed because it was priced right, performed exceptionally well, used a familiar OS, and as such consumers embraced it. If the iPad had been brought to market sooner and, let's say, had to be $800, rather than about $500, or was compromised in any other way, the result would have been disappointing. 

 

It's not about rushing something to market every so many months to maintain momentum. It's about delivering products that make customers happy so that they'll continue to support the brand. If Apple ignored the netbook segment and instead took its time to develop a vastly superior alternative for casual mobile computing, I'd have to say that looking at it now, it was the way to go. While competitors made little if any money selling awful netbooks that most purchasers regretted buying, Apple redefined the low-cost, casual computing segment with a far more useful product, resulting in incredible profits.

 

That's the formula that Cook needs to stick with and if that causes a delay in the release of a new product, as far as I'm concerned, that means it's business as usual at Apple. 

post #29 of 67

He's not Steve and in today's world we expect the CEO to be very technical and visionary.  My impression of Tim is he's just like any of our bosses, anybody be a boss and hand out orders.  He doesn't appeal to Wall Street as tech visionary or gave any clues about his vision.  Look at all those AllthingsD interviews with Steve and Bill, then with Tim.  I thoroughly enjoyed those conversations with Bill and Steve, I want to fast forward those Tim interviews.  He was dodgy and methodical, I felt he was similar to Ballmer in giving very little information but differs in his delivery.  I simply don't like to hear Tim speak because he offers no guidance on what Apple's next big challenge was other than delivering more of the same.

post #30 of 67
Maps happened under Cook and MobileMe happened under Jobs. Sh*t happens regardless of who is CEO.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Reply

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Reply
post #31 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision33r View Post

I simply don't like to hear Tim speak because he offers no guidance on what Apple's next big challenge was other than delivering more of the same.

This! Whenever I watch an Apple keynote and I use the event in October 2012 and WWDC 2013 as examples, I know the good part comes when he introduces Phil Schiller. When Phil walks out, I know we're getting the tech specs of new products (which for a nerd like me is what I most pay attention to) and at least some humor.
post #32 of 67
How often can Apple create or redefine an entire industry? That is what people seem to be expecting. I might be naive but that level of innovation seems quite difficult to achieve. It's quite amazing that it has done this more than once, much less massive changes at least 3-4 times within the last 10 years.

Let me make a quick list just in the past 10 years:
* music players/music retail (music stores no longer exist),
* mobile phone/mobile industry: smart phones, cut the phone companies' legs out from control of phone features,
* GPS: on phones, tag pictures with location, dedicated devices less needed
* gaming platform
* Application development industry for mobile devices
* Tablet market
* eBooks market
* Delivery of apps for both mobile devices and laptop/desktops via internet
* Elimination of floppy disks
* Elimination of serial and parallel ports
* WiFi as standard equipment on all devices
* Touch devices along with standard touch screen "language"
* Quality design of devices
* Quality of manufacturing of devices
* Replacement of moveable storage media with solid state storage
* Automatic backup (Time Machine)
* All-in-one desktops (elimination of wires connecting separate components)
post #33 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Marvin posted that a while back, and I believe part of that only. The doctor has an agenda, but I don't think it's ludicrous to suggest Steve wasn't himself the reason for his own death.

 

In any other situation sure, but the man had cancer. Shouldn't blame him for that, not like he drove too fast on a rainy day and slid off a cliff.

post #34 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Maps happened under Cook and MobileMe happened under Jobs. Sh*t happens regardless of who is CEO.


Are you comparing those two events as being equal?

 

I think MM was a "meh" event.

 

Maps on the other hand was much larger and we'll never know the damage caused.

 

I would have picked Antennagate as equal.


Edited by island hermit - 8/22/13 at 9:15am
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #35 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post

How often can Apple create or redefine an entire industry? That is what people seem to be expecting. I might be naive but that level of innovation seems quite difficult to achieve. It's quite amazing that it has done this more than once, much less massive changes at least 3-4 times within the last 10 years.

Let me make a quick list just in the past 10 years:
* music players/music retail (music stores no longer exist),
* mobile phone/mobile industry: smart phones, cut the phone companies' legs out from control of phone features,
* GPS: on phones, tag pictures with location, dedicated devices less needed
* gaming platform
* Application development industry for mobile devices
* Tablet market
* eBooks market
* Delivery of apps for both mobile devices and laptop/desktops via internet
* Elimination of floppy disks
* Elimination of serial and parallel ports
* WiFi as standard equipment on all devices
* Touch devices along with standard touch screen "language"
* Quality design of devices
* Quality of manufacturing of devices
* Replacement of moveable storage media with solid state storage
* Automatic backup (Time Machine)
* All-in-one desktops (elimination of wires connecting separate components)

All Tim needs to do is to go up there and in short sentences explain some of the marvels in simplistic or layman's term on some of their products and features.  That's all he has to do.  

 

What I got out of Tim the last 2+ yrs is that he has not changed much at all, while behind the scenes he got rid of people who were competing for his job as the face of Apple.  He's most likely a ruthless CEO instead of caring about the company's future prospects, he's just another machiavellian boss.

post #36 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Meaning what? Can you be a bit more specific?

Don't. Oh, why'd you do that? Now we're gonna get a parade of "Apple fanboy site gushes over their new master" headlines... 1wink.gif

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #37 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision33r View Post

He's not Steve and in today's world we expect the CEO to be very technical and visionary.  My impression of Tim is he's just like any of our bosses, anybody be a boss and hand out orders.  He doesn't appeal to Wall Street as tech visionary or gave any clues about his vision.  Look at all those AllthingsD interviews with Steve and Bill, then with Tim.  I thoroughly enjoyed those conversations with Bill and Steve, I want to fast forward those Tim interviews.  He was dodgy and methodical, I felt he was similar to Ballmer in giving very little information but differs in his delivery.  I simply don't like to hear Tim speak because he offers no guidance on what Apple's next big challenge was other than delivering more of the same.

In his position as the new steward of the company, with the toughest act in history to follow, he has no business tipping his hand in the slightest. It would be unthinkable in fact. A guy like him knows that the only thing that matters is performance, success that lands on the market like a ton of bricks, as a surprise. This is what makes him so fascinating to watch, to those who can see: his absolute self-control and his poler-faced dedication to keeping his cards close to his vest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post


Are you comparing those two events as being equal?

I think MM was a "meh" event.

Maps on the other hand was much larger and we'll never know the damage caused.

I would have picked Antennagate as equal.

Yes, equally fake and overblown. I'm sure you'll be the first to let us know what damage Maps has "caused."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shameer Mulji View Post

The most concerning part of the article is this part;

"Some Silicon Valley recruiters and former Apple employees at rival companies say they are seeing more Apple resumes than ever before, especially from hardware engineers, though the depth and breadth of any brain-drain remains difficult to quantify, especially given the recent expansion in staff numbers.

"I am being inundated by LinkedIn messages and emails both by people who I never imagined would leave Apple and by people who have been at Apple for a year, and who joined expecting something different than what they encountered," said one recruiter with ties to Apple"



 



Talent retention will be Apple's biggest challenge.



Sorry, but I see you have taken the bait. This bit of unattested "news gathering" by the reporters could be total cherry picking or even made up entirely. It's the poison pill of FUD that the article was meant to deliver. Hardware engineers are leaving Apple! Oh no!!!
post #38 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoonerYoda View Post

I want to know what he say's that makes you want to feel like you should crawl back into a hole and die.  Can't be any worse than an old boss of mine.

"You should crawl back into a hole and die."

 

"Yes, Tim."

post #39 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Yes, equally fake and overblown. I'm sure you'll be the first to let us know what damage Maps has "caused."

 

Not fake, possibly overblown.

 

As I said, we will never know the damage that was caused. Maybe you can enlighten us as to how many sales were lost because of each of those events.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #40 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

It's the poison pill of FUD that the article was meant to deliver. Hardware engineers are leaving Apple! Oh no!!!

FUD or not. Some hardware engineers are leaving Apple. In general, talent retention is a challenge for every successful Silicon Valley company. Everyone of them. To deny this is not just ignorant but is in fact a form of trolling in itself. :)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple CEO Tim Cook profiled as a 'methodical, no-nonsense' leader who isn't afraid to make tough decisions