or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Haswell-based MacBook Pros expected to ship in September - report

Haswell-based MacBook Pros expected to ship in September - report - Page 4

post #121 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmm View Post

Well integrated graphics on the desktop are still primarily a cost cutting solution. You don't have the issue of battery life there. I've always suspected at some point people who use their notebooks in public will no longer have to locate power outlets for extended periods of use. Looking at the chips that incorporate iris pro graphics, it's unlikely that the cost savings is significant over some of the less expensive discrete chips. I can't say for sure as I haven't been able to locate a cost estimate for something like a 650m.
Intel is apparently charging a good penny for the Iris variants. However they keep the price point competitive so that discrete chips aren't appealing.
Quote:

I remember intel some speculation that ram clock frequencies weren't quite there yet. That might explain the additional cache on some chips as opposed to a longer evolutionary path.

This is a problem that both AMD and Intel have with their APUs. I wouldn't be surprised to find dedicated RAM for the GPU right in the SoC in the future. Right now packaging in a separate RAM die is a compromise to get around the bandwidth to RAM problem. It should also be noted that Intels focus with Iris Pro is on mobile where you don't have the option of wider paths to memory.
post #122 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter View Post

I hope not unless the difference between integrated and the lower level discrete cards are so minimal that it defeats the purpose.
In the case of Iris Pro it isn't competing with lower level discrete cards. If you believe the pre release sites Iris Pro is very competitive with the better mobile solutions out there. Further for some OpenCL code it leaves them in the dust. Me, I'm a wait and see guy when it comes to Intel GPUs and Apple drivers.
Quote:
The entry level iMac you can argue may have been sufficient at 512 MB for the 640M, the upper 21.5" and entry level 27" should have had BTO options to double their memory. I said this before and I'll say it again. No excuse by Apple not to do it.

Well the excuse might be power but I have to agree Apple has been very stingy with GPU RAM. However the equation gets very interesting if the GPU can access RAM itself on Mavericks. Frankly I'm not keyed into the developer world like I have been in the past, but we could see some apps really benefiting from Intels APUs. To many apps leveraging GPUs suffer from the need to move large amounts of data around just to go fast on the GPU. We could be taking a step away from that problem on Mavericks.
post #123 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Intel is apparently charging a good penny for the Iris variants. However they keep the price point competitive so that discrete chips aren't appealing.
This is a problem that both AMD and Intel have with their APUs. I wouldn't be surprised to find dedicated RAM for the GPU right in the SoC in the future.

Intel's list prices are higher for iris variants. That's why I said it's not terribly synergetic with desktop solutions where the use of integrated graphics remain due to cost effectiveness. There are still $100 desktop cards that can deliver superior performance. It's much more appealing on a notebook if it helps usher in the ability to leave the power brick at home. Speaking of Apple's power bricks, they don't deal well with discrete graphics. The 2011s were the worst in that regard. Mobile gpus aren't that great anyway. I've stated before that some things are still best served by the desktop as a primary machine. A lot of people who require the highest gpu performance are likely to run multiple displays and peripherals, at which point they're anchored to one spot for most things anyway.

Quote:

Right now packaging in a separate RAM die is a compromise to get around the bandwidth to RAM problem. It should also be noted that Intels focus with Iris Pro is on mobile where you don't have the option of wider paths to memory.

Vram in discrete gpus is faster than what you have available for main memory. I just figured that was probably the achilles heel for intel and apus at the moment.

post #124 of 132
hmm - You mean the AMD Radeon HD 6490M as well as the 6750M?
post #125 of 132

The combination of 6750m/6770m and quad cpus drew too much power for the adapter used. The problem was probably not as severe with the 6490m, although it may have been there. I never had any direct experience with that model.

post #126 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmm View Post

The combination of 6750m/6770m and quad cpus drew too much power for the adapter used. The problem was probably not as severe with the 6490m, although it may have been there. I never had any direct experience with that model.

Ah I didn't know if it started early or late in 2011.
post #127 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter View Post

Ah I didn't know if it started early or late in 2011.

Early 2011 used a 6750m on some models. Just the $1800 model had the 6490m, which imo was ridiculous (use of a distinctly low end gpu for what it cost).

post #128 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

If there's going to be another release, that might mean no Macs until October

Well, DP7 doesn't feel GMish either.  

Too bad TS was too chicken to make the bet.

post #129 of 132
Originally Posted by nht View Post

Too bad whatever bet you're talking about was based in fallacy.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
post #130 of 132

Big deal who really cares if these macs are not released until Oct. More essential things in life than this.

post #131 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

Big deal who really cares if these macs are not released until Oct. More essential things in life than this.

The NFL Season starts tonight! : D

Anyway, I honestly hope they at least announce the new MacBook Pro next Tuesday even if it is not due out for another 1-2 months. I live for the announcements though so much the products themselves.
post #132 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by nht View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

If there's going to be another release, that might mean no Macs until October

Well, DP7 doesn't feel GMish either.  

lol.gif What's the deal with betting on everything?

This site lists issues with DP7:

http://fairerplatform.com/2013/09/os-x-mavericks-developer-preview-7/

Looks like there's very minor issues, have you come across anything seriously wrong? How come screen recordings aren't compatible with older versions of OS X, are they not using H.264?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Haswell-based MacBook Pros expected to ship in September - report