or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer calls it quits, to retire within a year

Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer calls it quits, to retire within a year

post #1 of 315
Microsoft announced on Friday that its chief executive Steve Ballmer will retire within the next 12 months, once his successor has been chosen, bringing to an end a 13-year reign over the software giant.

Ballmer

Ballmer's tenure was a profitable but tumultuous period in which Microsoft pushed into new markets beyond the PC, but also saw its stronghold in smartphones give way to Apple's iPhone and Google's Android. Microsoft has also struggled in recent years against Apple's iPad, which has been eating away at traditional PC sales.

"There is never a perfect time for this type of transition, but now is the right time," Ballmer said in a statement. "We have embarked on a new strategy with a new organization and we have an amazing Senior Leadership Team.

"My original thoughts on timing would have had my retirement happen in the middle of our company?s transformation to a devices and services company. We need a CEO who will be here longer term for this new direction."

Microsoft's Board of Directors have set up a special committee that will find Ballmer's successor. That committee includes former CEO and company founder Bill Gates.

"As a member of the succession planning committee, I?ll work closely with the other members of the board to identify a great new CEO," Gates said. "We?re fortunate to have Steve in his role until the new CEO assumes these duties."

Microsoft's struggles under Ballmer in smartphones and more recently in PC sales have been a point of contention, with the company's board going as far as to criticize the CEO in late 2011. Since then, sales of Apple's iPhone and iPad have continued to grow, while Microsoft's Windows Phone platform and Surface tablets have floundered.

Microsoft began building its own tablets with the launch of Surface last fall, but the company was forced to take a $900 million charge on unsold inventory this year. And the Windows Phone platform accounted for just 3.3 percent of smartphones sold in the second quarter of calendar 2013, according to the latest data from research firm Gartner.

The Ballmer era at Microsoft did usher in the company's Xbox gaming console lineup, which became a major success with its second-generation model, the Xbox 360. The company hopes to gain an even stronger foothold in the living room with the launch of the next-generation Xbox One console this fall.
post #2 of 315
great... Now we have a farewell tour to look forward to.
post #3 of 315
Is this retirement forced retirement. Or Balmer just had enough ?
post #4 of 315

with luck, maybe the new CEO will figure out how to make that company produce software people actually want to own...

here's hoping anyway

post #5 of 315
"Retire." Gotta keep up appearances. Big question is will Bill come back to bring the ship back on course. Or has Ballmer already run it aground on a reef?
post #6 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

"Retire." Gotta keep up appearances. Big question is will Bill come back to bring the ship back on course. Or has Ballmer already run it aground on a reef?

I can't imagine Gates would take over at CEO again. He's got a lot more interests in his life now than micromanaging Microsoft.
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #7 of 315
Thanks for ruining the weekend Baller ¡
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
post #8 of 315
I'll always remember the good times: stomping on iPhones, throwing chairs, sweaty armpits, and competing directly against their hardware partners.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #9 of 315

Another Microsoft winner to go up on the shelf, right next to Clippy, Ribbon, Zune and Surface.

post #10 of 315
With as many missteps as Ballmer has had his greatest success and his legacy will probably rest on the ingenious Office 365.

In reality it's terrible for consumers but its the only thing that will keep Microsoft afloat for the next decade. If only Ballmer had put more focus in software than his various failed hardware endeavors Microsoft would be in a much better position than they are now.
post #11 of 315
Will Microsoft be able to recover from 13 years of this guy's idiotic control.
Answer: no, not now Apple is on the scene showing people how it's done.
post #12 of 315
I'm sure the retirement is as much his initiative as was Scott Forstall's
post #13 of 315

Now the real reason Forstall was ousted is clear...

Expect Windows 9 to be all about the quilted 'fluffy' design...

post #14 of 315
Scott Forstall anyone?
post #15 of 315

ill remember his in-famous crazy dance chanting "DEVELOPER DEVELOPER DEVELOPER DEVELOPER"..

And him saying "Today Microsoft sells millions of windows phones, Apple sells ZERO iPhones..." (back in 2007, when apple launched the iPhone)

The guy truly lacked vision of the future.

post #16 of 315
Check out MSFT stock. There's an ego boost for Ballmer.
~Tokolosh
~Tokolosh
post #17 of 315
Market is happy. Pre-market up 9%.
post #18 of 315
Elop on the way up maybe......?
post #19 of 315
Darn.
post #20 of 315
Being apple fan,i like this guy
He have guts to defend his company,regardless the state of his company.
Missing:'( developer developer developer....
post #21 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0c0s0 View Post

Scott Forstall anyone?

There's someone who'll relish the job with a vengeance!
post #22 of 315

Send in your resume, Scott.

Maybe you can invigorate Surface sales with a little skeuomorphism.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #23 of 315

I'm gonna miss monkey boy videos. Sigh.

post #24 of 315

Ballmer's retiring next year?

I thought he stopped working in 2000!

My car keeps crashing whenever I do 150mph. It's a design flaw. People tell me to slow down and drive normally but I should be able to use it as I wish.
My car keeps crashing whenever I do 150mph. It's a design flaw. People tell me to slow down and drive normally but I should be able to use it as I wish.
post #25 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by iCarbon View Post

with luck, maybe the new CEO will figure out how to make that company produce software people actually want to own...

here's hoping anyway

Given they never did that in the first place, they simply purloined Apple's software, I think the new person will have a hard time doing that. There is simply no 'DNA' in Microsoft to innovate, only to rip off. Personally I wish Ballmer was staying, I'd like to see him go down with the ship.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #26 of 315
Forstall should take his position seeing as though he had traits like Steve.
post #27 of 315

I think Ballmer dint want to bear in his conciseness, the CEO that dragged Microsoft down into the dirts. He pulled the white flag way before that could happen :)

post #28 of 315
Maybe Ray Ozzie will come back?
post #29 of 315
About time! Can't wait for the door to hit monkey boy's ass. One has to wonder if he is being pushed out though.......
post #30 of 315
Probably the best thing to happen to Microsoft. Perhaps they can get some clarity back in their organization.
post #31 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0c0s0 View Post

Scott Forstall anyone?

Funny you say that … for some strange reason that was the first thought that popped into my head. However, I assume Scott signed enough NDAs to make him next to useless to them, because, let's be honest, they'd only want him to yet again rip off Apple. Having said that we all remember Rubin ...
post #32 of 315

Ballmer's resignation won't spur a recovery from Windows 8, and the long line of other past and recent catastrophes. "Microsoft"  is a beached whale!

post #33 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imageman View Post

Ballmer's resignation won't spur a recovery from Windows 8, and the long line of other past and recent catastrophes. "Microsoft"  is a beached whale!

In fact both Microsoft and Ballmer fit that description … 1biggrin.gif

Meanwhile the Ballmer family rejoice … at last they can buy iPhones, iPads and MacBook Pros.
post #34 of 315

@digitalclips: good point!

post #35 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maecvs View Post

About time! Can't wait for the door to hit monkey's ass. One has to wonder if he is being pushed out though.......

Can't wait to hear the spin from Mr. 'stole everything he could', Gates in-between buying himself a place in heaven with philanthropy.
post #36 of 315
Oh Bal.... I mean, bummer! One of Apple's safety nets is gone. :-/

Fortunately, he's there for twelve months more. That's a lifetime, in this business.
post #37 of 315
Why are people seriously throwing out Scott Forstall's name? What is his experience with running a large multinational? My guess is it will be someone internal or someone who previously worked at Microsoft like Ray Ozzie.
post #38 of 315

About twelve years too late.  Good riddance.

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

post #39 of 315
I doubt this will help Microsoft's fortunes much. While it was/has been clear that Microsoft needed new leadership, the company's adherence to 'Windows Everywhe' is a big cause of it's stagnation. My guess is the final straw was the Windows 8/Surface debacle...
post #40 of 315

Finally, the village idiot is gone! 

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer calls it quits, to retire within a year