or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer calls it quits, to retire within a year

Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer calls it quits, to retire within a year - Page 2

post #41 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Why are people seriously throwing out Scott Forstall's name? What is his experience with running a large multinational into the ground? My guess is it will be someone internal or someone who previously worked at Microsoft like Ray Ozzie.

There. Fixed that for you.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #42 of 315

I think this isn't good news at all for Apple. If anything, Microsoft, and especially Steve Ballmer was partly what made Apple succeed and turn around from a near Bankrupt company to the most valuable company in just 15 years. They fail to compete! Or They haven't even try to compete.

But Microsoft still have lots of engineering talents. Even more so then Google, their management just fail to unlock them.

It would still take 3 - 4 years at least in the best case scenerio for Microsoft to comeback, and they definately need someone from Outside to tears down Microsoft and rebuilt it as quickly as possible.

post #43 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMacGuy View Post

Another Microsoft winner to go up on the shelf, right next to Clippy, Ribbon, Zune and Surface.

"What about Bob?" 1smile.gif
post #44 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave MacLachlan View Post

"What about Bob?" 1smile.gif

Bob was my favorite.

Really. Could Microsoft be taken seriously after that. By anyone.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #45 of 315

Time to buy MSFT!!

post #46 of 315

This is a very sad day.  Best comedian ever.  He brought laughter with word he said.  I will miss him greatly.

post #47 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

buying himself a place in heaven with philanthropy.

That's free for the asking. 

post #48 of 315
Now Microsoft can get back to the kinds of core software that made it popular: solitaire.

But seriously maybe now MS can give up making tablets and instead focus on making fully functional Windows Office for iOS and Android.
post #49 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

There. Fixed that for you.

What are you talking about? Microsoft is the 3rd or 4th most valuable company in the world. They basically own the enterprise. Microsoft is FAR from being run in to the ground.
post #50 of 315
See, that second video puts the issue on point. "Perfectly capable" vs. "insanely great".
post #51 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

Now Microsoft can get back to the kinds of core software that made it popular: solitaire.

But seriously maybe now MS can give up making tablets and instead focus on making fully functional Windows Office for iOS and Android.

All we're ever going to see are 365 subscription services. That's where the money is anyway.

post #52 of 315
Microsoft should spin off Xbox and focus on enterprise and cloud. Right now they're a mess trying to be both horizontal and vertical. One of Microsoft's biggest worries should be Google and Chrome OS/Google Docs and instead they're running ads knocking iPad. If cheap laptops running Chrome take off what does that do to Windows? Plus non enterprise consumers are finding that cheaper options to Office work just fine for what they need.
post #53 of 315
Terrible news. Nothing better for Apple than Ballmer at the helm.

On the other hand, given the culture at Microsoft (I worked there in the past) we can be assured that if they hire from within, we're guaranteed to get someone worse for the company. (and thus good for Apple.)

On the other hand, maybe they'll hire Scott Forstall!
post #54 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Thanks for ruining the weekend Baller ¡

Ok, I decided to not let this ruin my weekend, so I made a nice collage of him. Here it is in digital form, but I can't respond to any comments as I'm off to the print shop so I can hang it on a wall, somewhere nice, maybe replace a mirror or something. Just so I won't forget. Yeah Baller, we won't ever forget.

post #55 of 315

The new Adams Family sequel starts production- he can't do both at once. 

Edited by pazuzu - 8/23/13 at 7:31am

Where's the new Apple TV?

post #56 of 315
It's the end of an "error"
post #57 of 315
damn - I was expecting him to run the company even more into the ground. I'm glad he will be involved in the new hire - lets see if he can hire a new clown
post #58 of 315
Quote:

Meanwhile the Ballmer family rejoice … at last they can buy iPhones, iPads and MacBook Pros.

post #59 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

It's the end of an "error"

Not so much 'blue screen of death' as 'ballmer scream of death'...

post #60 of 315

does the xbox make a profit?

post #61 of 315

Shelved?!

post #62 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

What are you talking about? Microsoft is the 3rd or 4th most valuable company in the world. They basically own the enterprise. Microsoft is FAR from being run in to the ground.

7th, actually. A far cry from where it used to be.

With Ballmer at the helm where do you think it will be in another 10 years.

My guess, it wouldn't even be in the top ten.

Into the ground, maybe not... but comparatively to what it used to be... a long ways down.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #63 of 315
“The board is committed to the effective transformation of Microsoft to a successful devices and services company,” (MS Director) Thompson said.

Not really sure what that means. I'm guessing that the Surface was simply a first effort and MS is committing to a lot more Microsoft-produced and sold hardware, and by extension less reliance on licensed OS manufacturers?
melior diabolus quem scies
post #64 of 315

Steve- Don't let the door hit you where the good lord split you.

And take all those boxes of Surfaces with you too!

post #65 of 315

Good, Microsoft needs some new fresh leadership. the same old follow what Apple is doing isn't going to work anymore.

I am all for MS doing some very cool things in the future

Mac Book Pro (late 2008), Power Mac G5(upgraded to Intel Hackintosh), new iPad 64GB 4G LTE, iPad Mini, iPhone 5.
Mac Book Pro (late 2008), Power Mac G5(upgraded to Intel Hackintosh), new iPad 64GB 4G LTE, iPad Mini, iPhone 5.
post #66 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikilok View Post

Is this retirement forced retirement. Or Balmer just had enough ?

Neither.  This is being "let go," but more nicely worded and with a lot of lies sprinkled on top. 

It's like advertising.  You simply reverse every statement to get at the actual truth.  

Balmer saying it "makes sense" to push him out early == "The bastards won't let me stay as long as I wanted." 

Gates saying they are "fortunate" to still have Balmer around == "We need to get rid of this guy."

etc. etc. 

post #67 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

That's free for the asking. 

Seems those with a guilty conscience don't think so …
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
post #68 of 315
Quote:

Ok, I decided to not let this ruin my weekend, so I made a nice collage of him. Here it is in digital form, but I can't respond to any comments as I'm off to the print shop so I can hang it on a wall, somewhere nice, maybe replace a mirror or something. Just so I won't forget. Yeah Baller, we won't ever forget.

Dart Board!
post #69 of 315
Quote:

Send in your resume, Scott.

Maybe you can invigorate Surface sales with a little skeuomorphism.

In fact he could redo all of Windows with lots of skeuomorphism … images from land fills and dung heaps would be a good source for images …. 1biggrin.gif
post #70 of 315
Quote:

Seems those with a guilty conscience don't think so …

True, and sad as all the money in the world won't buy entrance into Heaven. 

post #71 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

There's someone who'll relish the job with a vengeance!

Bad choice though.  They don't need a product guy (or even to work on their product).  They need to re-organise the entire business around what they do best.  You will probably see them exiting a lot of markets, not ramping up the competition with Apple.  

They've lost and they know it.  It's irreversible.  They aren't going to come out with an iPad killer or an iPhone killer.  

That's why the line about "looking at the board" for CEO's.  They are going to be looking for an older business oriented guy to slash and burn  and refocus back on enterprise Windows products and the Cloud.  It's probably "goodbye XBox" and "goodbye living room" within about 5 years now. 

post #72 of 315
Quoting Hit Girl in Kick Ass: "What a douche."
post #73 of 315
He should work in Disneyland after retired .
post #74 of 315

MS always was as microsh*t. And Balmer.... oh god... he's completely useless: no vision, worst manager, no charm or karma or whatever, massive ego. They speak about revolution products, innovation etc (don't care about poxy x-box). Almost in all this game they were followers (and awfully unsuccessfull ones).

As ones real-deal Steve said: "they just don't have a taste". 

post #75 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

hey are going to be looking for an older business oriented guy to slash and burn  and refocus back on enterprise Windows products and the Cloud.  It's probably "goodbye XBox" and "goodbye living room" within about 5 years now. 

Not if you go by the comments from both Ballmer and the Microsoft Board. They both claim Microsoft is transitioning to a devices and services company, and they've only just started.
post #76 of 315
Quote:

7th, actually. A far cry from where it used to be.

With Ballmer at the helm where do you think it will be in another 10 years.

My guess, it wouldn't even be in the top ten.

Into the ground, maybe not... but comparatively to what it used to be... a long ways down.

What are the other 6 besides Apple, Google and Exxon Mobile? Chinese petrol companies?
post #77 of 315
It is odd the way they announced this...

A brief, somewhat grudging, statement by Balmer... then a statement from the board about "within the next 12 months, upon the completion of a process to choose his successor."

Effectively. he has been stripped of authority (like Forstall)... he will be gone before Christmas!

Ahh... Ballmer... we won't forget you!   As seen on the wall of the Executive Washroom:

"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #78 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Not if you go by the comments from both Ballmer and the Microsoft Board. They both claim Microsoft is transitioning to a devices and services company, and they've only just started.
I see that as a mistake. Trying to mimick the Apple model won't work. We've already seen with the write down of Surface inventory that the public isn't clamoring for Microsoft devices.
post #79 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikilok View Post

Is this retirement forced retirement. Or Balmer just had enough ?

He was volunteered.
post #80 of 315
Quote:

He's just the worst.... can't laugh enough :D

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer calls it quits, to retire within a year