or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › How will the MacPro be introduced?

How will the MacPro be introduced?

post #1 of 81

The new MacPro is a big change.  Too big to be slipped in to the iOS event coming in September, IMO.  How do you think it will be introduced?

I see a full event focused primarily on pros.

- Mavericks - more detail

- MacPro 

demos by some powerhouse apps that can really use the GPU and other goodies

- display revamp - adds TB and USB3, thinner like iMac, same resolution OK

for Mac mini, MacPro and second display for those who want it and don't need 4K

- 4K display (with the added price)

- FCP new version (already announced at WWDC)

- Motion update

- Compressor update (finally with new UI)

- Aperture update

- Modo now an Apple app, available for $399 (in my dreams)

iWork would not need a MacPro, so though I think it needs an update, I don't see it at this event

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #2 of 81

I see a silent update, put on the store either on its own or alongside the iMac, MacBook Pro, and Mac Mini.

post #3 of 81

Mac Mini will have no update at all. I know this for a fact.

post #4 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

Mac Mini will have no update at all. I know this for a fact.

And the Easter Bunny is real. What is your source?
post #5 of 81

If it was an update of the existing form factor, a silent update and slipping it onto the store unnoticed might make sense.

But given the preview we got a couple of months ago, and a number of unanswered questions (the specs etc), some kind of event would make sense.  Apple might want to explain the configs and then there's a question of whether Apple updates the displays and offers up a matching black keyboard, mouse and trackpad, not to mention TB2 external storage.  As a package, it would certainly be worth some airtime.  

Maybe at the official release of Mavericks, with a lag 4-8 weeks until the units ship could work?

MacPro 2 x 3GHz, 8GB RAM, 4x1000 HD, 2x23" ACD
15" rMBP; 17" MBP

MacPro 2 x 3GHz, 8GB RAM, 4x1000 HD, 2x23" ACD
15" rMBP; 17" MBP

post #6 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter View Post

And the Easter Bunny is real.

The Easter Bunny is real, there's a video here of one frolicking in the wild (NSFW):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW9CVtzF6U0

I think the Mac Mini will get an update same as always because having a small headless server is a useful product. They could ditch it on the basis that the vast majority of people buy iMacs and laptops and the prices on them are low but I don't think they will. If they stick with the quad-i7, I expect prices to either increase $100 or they won't use Iris graphics and use this instead:

http://ark.intel.com/products/75128/Intel-Core-i7-4800MQ-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_70-GHz

The Minis tend to share processors with the laptops though. There seems to be a batch of Haswell mobile CPUs not out yet:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7021/introducing-the-dualcore-haswell-skus

If the prices on those are more reasonable than the ULT chips for Ultrabooks, the Mini can maintain its entry price point. This suggests 4600 graphics in the Mini. Still faster than last year but only a very small amount.

The Mac Pro has already been introduced and has had a graphics demo showing off the power but if they are going 4K IGZO displays (and I suspect they are), they'll want the Mac Pro and displays ready at the same time.

If it comes in at a high price point, it'll have to be in addition to the standard model, something like 27" 1440p for $799 and 32" 4K for $1499.

Intel will be launching all the tech on September 10th so if Apple doesn't do a silent update, they'll probably hold it all for an event in October.
post #7 of 81
lol.gif Marvin that was perfect. I don't know what you would have posted if I had said Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy but I am so glad I settled on the Easter Bunny. That really put a smile on my face. Also great video! I am a Kate Upton fan. 1wink.gif

Also I completely forgot about those dual core Haswell models.

How much of a jump would a dual core 4600 be over a dual core 3000?
post #8 of 81
Quote:

How much of a jump would a dual core 4600 be over a dual core 3000?

The weird thing with Intel's naming is that the 4600 can end up faster than the 5000, even despite the fact the 5000 has twice the shader count. The TDP is a big factor. The Intel HD 5000 in the 2013 Air at 15W is not much faster than the HD 4000 at 17W in the 2012 model:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7072/intel-hd-5000-vs-hd-4000-vs-hd-4400

The 4600 at 37W or so is above the 5000:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Graphics-4600.86106.0.html
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Graphics-5000.91978.0.html
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Graphics-4000.69168.0.html
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Graphics-3000.37948.0.html

If you look at say Bioshock Infinite on high, HD3000=9fps, HD4000=11fps, HD5000=16fps, HD4600=21fps.

It looks like the HD4600 that may appear in the Mini would be 50-100% faster than the HD4000 in the old one.
post #9 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

It looks like the HD4600 that may appear in the Mini would be 50-100% faster than the HD4000 in the old one.

Wow! I'm interested. I was worried about price increases if they went with the Iris 5100 but it seems as though the HD4600 is a decent improvement over the HD4000 which would mean it's an even bigger improvement over my 2011 mini. Still I will hold off in case of bugs with Mavericks.
post #10 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

The new MacPro is a big change.  Too big to be slipped in to the iOS event coming in September, IMO.  How do you think it will be introduced?
In a perfect world it would be introduced with the following:
[*] BEER
[*] STRIPPERS
[*]ROCK & ROLL

Quote:

I see a full event focused primarily on pros.
I see an event where it gets 50% of the time with the rest reserved for the iPhone.
Quote:
- Mavericks - more detail
- MacPro 
     demos by some powerhouse apps that can really use the GPU and other goodies
It wouldn't be a event without demos.
Quote:
- display revamp - adds TB and USB3, thinner like iMac, same resolution OK
     for Mac mini, MacPro and second display for those who want it and don't need 4K
- 4K display (with the added price)
I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the display is a hold up with respect to the Mac Pro release. A 4K++ display will be very important with respect to sales of the new Mac Pro.
Quote:
- FCP new version (already announced at WWDC)
- Motion update
- Compressor update (finally with new UI)
- Aperture update

iWork would not need a MacPro, so though I think it needs an update, I don't see it at this event
It is interesting that you even bring up iWork here. IWork does need that update, really bad actually, as such it might come with Mavericks. In other words it is more of a Mavericks update than something linked to the Mac Pro.
post #11 of 81
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post
[*] BEER

Poured out of an empty Mac Pro case.

[*] STRIPPERS

Doing an unboxing of the Mac Pro to sultry saxophone music.

[*]ROCK & ROLL 

Being edited and effects applied to it live, courtesy a new Mac Pro.

Edited by Tallest Skil - 8/24/13 at 4:11pm
post #12 of 81
Quote:

Considering the foundry absorbed luxology, I wouldn't count on it.

post #13 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmm View Post

Considering the foundry absorbed luxology, I wouldn't count on it.

As I said, in my dreams.

1smile.gif

post #14 of 81
Quote:

lol.gif Marvin that was perfect. I don't know what you would have posted if I had said Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy but I am so glad I settled on the Easter Bunny. That really put a smile on my face. Also great video! I am a Kate Upton fan. 1wink.gif

Also I completely forgot about those dual core Haswell models.

After seeing that video, who cares about tech ¿

Thanks Marvin! And LOL at the first comment.
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
post #15 of 81
With a bang
post #16 of 81
Quote:

As I said, in my dreams.

1smile.gif

Out of curiosity, was it due to Apple's tendency to lower barriers of entry when it comes to software through low minimum hardware requirements and pricing? They aren't generally known for extremely regular updates when it comes to "pro apps". My experience with Modo is very very limited. I tried it a couple years ago. The renderer seemed a bit limiting with the standard shader package. I didn't examine the API to see how extendable it was, so I can't comment there. At the time it lacked any kind of stack or history function, including with curves. The poly modeling toolset was pretty nice though. Its drawing method options were pretty nice, although some kind of zenith depth function to the viewport would have been nice to help identify location without having to look at coordinates. I remember it being difficult to specifically tell when the viewport was inverted. That version also crashed quite a bit, and at the time examining luxology's forums had people with maxed out mac pros (2009-2010 variety) who still complained about program stability. Any idea if those issues are still present? I'm weird in that renderman compliant renderers still tend to be my favorite due as they'll run on practically anything, and displacement takes very little memory. Out of curiosity, do you plan to run Modo on the new Mac Pro?

post #17 of 81

My suggestion was a bit of a casual dreamy jest.

I just discovered Modo and liked it and had no crashes on my iMac.  Like Cinema 4D better but the price to include character rigging is astronomical (you have to pay for tons of material that I would never use).  Will try the 1 month Modo trial soon and then wait for a sale to buy (40% off, usually).  That brings it down to $900.  How I miss my academic discounts!

Would love to get a MacPro, decked out.  Would also love to get some nice software.  Both without breaking the bank account.

I don't do anything too complicated.  Currently I work with characters and simple concepts in 2d (Animate, ToonBoom Studio, AnimeStudio Pro).  Would love to stretch into 3D.  One odd thing about 3D apps is the limited audio they have.  I am used to having several tracks per project (one for each character, lip-synced, one for BGM and several for sound effects).  Modo only supports one file to play at a time...

In the mean time, I am enjoying learning the ropes of 3D with Cheetah3D (very inexpensive) and Poser Pro 2014, but without audio Cheetah won't hold me for long. 

Edited by Bergermeister - 8/25/13 at 4:37pm

post #18 of 81

I thought it had already been introduced.   Other than the price and the specific model numbers for the processor and graphics cards, pretty much every detail has been released.  No event is necessary.   There are already detailed demos of this machine in operation.  FCP X will be a point upgrade mainly to accommodate the new graphics cards.  New versions of Motion, Aperture, etc. will get as much fanfare as the new version of Logic.  

post #19 of 81
Quote:

My suggestion was a bit of a casual dreamy jest.

I just discovered Modo and liked it and had no crashes on my iMac.  Like Cinema 4D better but the price to include character rigging is astronomical (you have to pay for tons of material that I would never use).  Will try the 1 month Modo trial soon and then wait for a sale to buy (40% off, usually).  That brings it down to $900.  How I miss my academic discounts!

Would love to get a MacPro, decked out.  Would also love to get some nice software.  Both without breaking the bank account.

I don't do anything too complicated.  Currently I work with characters and simple concepts in 2d (Animate, ToonBoom Studio, AnimeStudio Pro).  Would love to stretch into 3D.  One odd thing about 3D apps is the limited audio they have.  I am used to having several tracks per project (one for each character, lip-synced, one for BGM and several for sound effects).  Modo only supports one file to play at a time...

In the mean time, I am enjoying learning the ropes of 3D with Cheetah3D (very inexpensive) and Poser Pro 2014, but without audio Cheetah won't hold me for long. 

Like I said it was a long time ago when I tried it. These things do evolve. I found the experience a bit polarizing in that I would really like one thing and hate another. If it's for personal use and you're on a strict budget, why not try something like Blender? The downside is once again the renderer. Assuming you don't want something extremely math heavy with some amount of code involved, that can be a sticking point with 3d packages. If it's for personal use, you could always grab a student version of the autodesk stuff, even if you aren't a student. Unless they changed something, they do not care if it's for personal/learning use, definitely nothing commercial. I know some artists have used such options for personal projects on their home computers. I mentioned that because if you're not big on heavy scripting, you can find a lot of rigging tools for those applications available online, often free or open source. You're going to find that basic FK/IK solvers and methods of joint layout leave a lot to be desired.

I forgot to tie that into the mac pro. The thing is that not all of those applications will benefit much from OpenCL. Most have large amounts of old code and a lot of things that can't be effectively implemented in that manner. For example most renderers that do leverage any kind of GPGPU functionality tend to hit specific limits on the number of shading nodes that can be addressed and the amount of texture data that can be processed. They won't work for the largest scenes. 3d paint apps can display more with smooth results if a lot of gpu memory is available. 3d apps in general can maintain better framerates with high levels of tessellated data. I'm not sure how many of them benefit from multi-gpu functionality on OSX or how many will in the near future.

post #20 of 81

As some of this might get away from the MacPro, I started a 3D app discussion here:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/159219/3d-apps-2013

post #21 of 81

The rumor today on AI is that Maverick will be available in late October.  That's about the right time frame for the new Mac Pro, so hopefully price and availability will be announced then too.

post #22 of 81

ANY news at all about the MacPro? Jesus, Apple is really just trying to kill their Mac division aren't they? No more 17inch MacBook, a MacPro line that has been languishing beyond belief... just spin it off already and concentrate your demise on the consumer device bullshit

I'm having deja-vu and amnesia at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
I'm having deja-vu and amnesia at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
post #23 of 81
Originally Posted by ZO View Post
Jesus, Apple is really just trying to kill their Mac division aren't they?

No, since they’re explicitly releasing it and have obviously done a few million dollars worth of R&D to continue to build these new models of computer… 

Think.

EDIT: Hey, you’re right, Phil; that is a nice signature. Describes my life perfectly.

Edited by Tallest Skil - 10/19/13 at 7:46am
post #24 of 81

Just a couple of days to go. 

The suspense...

post #25 of 81
Quote:

Just a couple of days to go. 

The suspense...

Just out of curiosity, are you actually planning on buying anything?

post #26 of 81

Yes.  I am certainly considering a MacPro.  

post #27 of 81

December is here...

post #28 of 81
December is here...

And 20 more days until they hit their deadline.

post #29 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And 20 more days until they hit their deadline.

Typically they make store updates on Tuesdays. I don't see how the sense of urgency would be so great that they would break such a cycle due to a change in month. That's just how I see it.

post #30 of 81
Typically they make store updates on Tuesdays. I don't see how the sense of urgency would be so great that they would break such a cycle due to a change in month. That's just how I see it.

Simple answer, then. It will either be available for purchase on the 3rd, 10th, or 17th. Three shots.

post #31 of 81
Quote:

Yes.  I am certainly considering a MacPro.  

Not a slam, but I don't know how anyone can truly consider a Mac Pro without knowing the price of the monitor to which it's being attached.

Are we really going to buy a new monitor with FW800 ports? It seems odd that the replacement hasn't been announced [or rumoured] yet.

The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #32 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Are we really going to buy a new monitor with FW800 ports? It seems odd that the replacement hasn't been announced [or rumoured] yet.

There are 6 thunderbolt ports. There's no compelling reason to only consider that in a monitor. If you use displayport, you'll still have enough thunderbolt ports to saturate the allotted bandwidth. It's 3 chips to 6 ports.

post #33 of 81

Maybe I phrased that badly. I didn't strictly mean a 'replacement' for the FW ports.

I meant that the replacement for the Apple 27" Thunderbolt display is overdue.

I presume Apple's just going to swap USB 3 ports on the monitor for the FW ports and ship a new version, unless they have managed somehow to produce a new 4K Thunderbolt monitor without anyone getting wind of it.

The release of the Pro is supposed to satisfy pent-up demand for high end machines from cheese grater owners over the last five years.

I can't imagine Apple asking those guys to pair the new next-gen machine with last year's monitor.

post #34 of 81

Dell seems to be planning one. It's quite expensive, but prices will come down.

post #35 of 81
Quote:

Dell seems to be planning one. It's quite expensive, but prices will come down.

Thanks for that link. It didn't state any indication of the price though. You got it from another site? Anyway, 24" will be too small for me, as I now use an ACD 30". I really hope Apple will release a similar sized 4k monitor, but I don't think they will release one. Perhaps when it is adapted by some, lowering panel prices.

edit: Asus has a 31.5" for $3322

Aperture looks 'kinda nice' on it

As for size, Firefly7475 posted good info on The Verge:
Quote:
The desktop monitor I’m using at the moment is 108 PPI and that’s pushing the limits of what is comfortable. I’d say the minimum size for a 4K monitor to be comfortably viewed would be around ~38 inches (115 PPI).

The trouble is this… a 38 inch monitor is too large to view from 2 feet away → you move a foot further away → 115 PPI is now too small to be viewed comfortably → you increase the size to 40 inches → a 40 inch monitor is too large to view from 3 feet away → you move a foot further away → etc etc

I think the maximum 16:9 monitor size comfortable to use is <30 inches, which means the “ideal” monitor would actually be 30 inches with a resolution of 3040×1710 (116PPI).

Since the view-size issue is mainly with the vertical resolution, a solution (of sorts!) might be found in ultra-wide or curved monitors. I could imagine a 37 inch 21:9 monitor at 3990×1710 would be both functional and comfortable.

post #36 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Thanks for that link. It didn't state any indication of the price though. You got it from another site? Anyway, 24" will be too small for me, as I now use an ACD 30". I really hope Apple will release a similar sized 4k monitor, but I don't think they will release one. Perhaps when it is adapted by some, lowering panel prices.

There are suggested prices for both the 24" and 28" here:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/12/02/dell-ultrasharp-4k-monitors/

"The UltraSharp 32 is now up for grabs worldwide for $3,499, while the $1,399 UltraSharp 24 is only available in South and North America to begin with and elsewhere on December 16th. No word yet on how much exactly the UltraSharp 28 will cost, but Dell did say we can expect it to be under $1,000 when it hits shelves in "early 2014"".

It's odd that a 28" 4K would be under $1000 while a 24" 4K would be $1399 but it says the same in Dell's press release:

http://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/uscorp1/secure/2013-12-2-dell-ultrasharp-ultra-hd-monitors

Currently Dell has a 27" IPS 1080p panel at $349:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?sku=210-ABIH

and a more expensive 24"

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?sku=320-9567

so perhaps the 28" will be a slightly lower quality panel but still, if it's an IPS panel, it should be good enough for most uses.

If Apple can use the same panel, I imagine they can get below $1000 too because they undercut Dell's 27" last time. Maybe this is what's been holding up the Mac Pro launch after all. If they didn't have a 4K Thunderbolt display ready in time, people would likely just opt for the Dell ones and Apple would miss out on a whole bunch of display sales.

It'll be Thunderbolt 2, Magsafe 2, USB 3, I'd guess slim design like the iMac without the bump (which may affect speaker quality) and laminated anti-glare panel.
post #37 of 81
Quote:

There are suggested prices for both the 24" and 28" here:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/12/02/dell-ultrasharp-4k-monitors/

"The UltraSharp 32 is now up for grabs worldwide for $3,499

Well, that's not expensive then. The 30" ACD was $3,299

I wonder what a compatible video card would cost for my 5,1
Quote:

It'll be Thunderbolt 2, Magsafe 2, USB 3, I'd guess slim design like the iMac without the bump (which may affect speaker quality) and laminated anti-glare panel.

I don't think they'll want to put speakers in. If they release a 4k monitor I think it's aimed at the Pro market. They could add a recommendation section when choosing option for your MP and add speakers there.

It really should be a matte screen, but somehow I think they truly think the glossy ones are what Pros want to use nowadays. I know, they're way less glossy now, but still...I prefer matte.
post #38 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I wonder what a compatible video card would cost for my 5,1

An expensive option would be the Quadro K5000:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/quadro-k5000-mac.html#pdpContent=0

Displayport 1.2, 4K, 60Hz. But you'd be as well buying the new Mac Pro at that price.

There's a Radeon 7950:

http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/product_index.aspx?cid=1&gid=3&sgid=1157&pid=1777&psn=&leg=0&lid=1#

but it says 4K support is only on Windows. I'm sure someone will buy one of these displays eventually and test which cards work. It's important to get one that'll run it at 60Hz too and not 30Hz.
post #39 of 81
Quote:

but it says 4K support is only on Windows. I'm sure someone will buy one of these displays eventually and test which cards work. It's important to get one that'll run it at 60Hz too and not 30Hz.

I noticed the same thing with the 680 mac edition, although that one doesn't officially support 4K on OSX at all. It might be possible to fool OSX into believing a 7970 is a mac edition card. Some people have claimed to get Windows cards to show up as firepros under Mavericks. I never jump on these things quickly. It's always an expensive nightmare trying to be the first with a new display spec.

post #40 of 81

One Tuesday down in December and still no nMP. Sigh.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › How will the MacPro be introduced?