or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › How will the MacPro be introduced?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How will the MacPro be introduced? - Page 2

post #41 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

One Tuesday down in December and still no nMP. Sigh.

Apple is on California time so we still have a couple of hours to go. But yeah it is sad. What other company out there could take a pro product off the sales sheet for so long and not suffer because of it. By the way isn't it Winter yet, I'm thinking they missed their fall debut.
post #42 of 81
Thread Starter 

They could go on and update the Store to show option pricing so that people can start figuring out how they are going to pay for this baby.  It takes time to arrange a 2nd mortgage.

 

 

:)

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #43 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

An expensive option would be the Quadro K5000:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/quadro-k5000-mac.html#pdpContent=0

Displayport 1.2, 4K, 60Hz. But you'd be as well buying the new Mac Pro at that price.

Wow, $1800. Fortunately I don't need a new Mac and not even thinking about a 4k screen, my 30" serves my quite nice. Big thanks for the link though.
Quote:
There's a Radeon 7950:

http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/product_index.aspx?cid=1&gid=3&sgid=1157&pid=1777&psn=&leg=0&lid=1#

but it says 4K support is only on Windows. I'm sure someone will buy one of these displays eventually and test which cards work. It's important to get one that'll run it at 60Hz too and not 30Hz.

That would be an expensive tryout.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

By the way isn't it Winter yet, I'm thinking they missed their fall debut.

As discussed before, Winter starts 21st. So two more Tuesdays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

They could go on and update the Store to show option pricing so that people can start figuring out how they are going to pay for this baby.  It takes time to arrange a 2nd mortgage.


1smile.gif


Lol. Especially if you take two 4k's with it. You know, to make the new computer useful. Easier to convince the wife as well once you start a demo. Use:
http://vimeo.com/search?q=4k

Really great videos there.
post #44 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post
 

One Tuesday down in December and still no nMP. Sigh.

 

I would guess next week. If they're sticking to Tuesdays, a Dec. 17 release means people will have to work through Christmas if there's a serious software glitch upon release. And that close to Christmas, very few are going to care about the release of the new flagship.

 

So I'm guessing next Tuesday. But Apple is crazy, so leaving one guy in the office to email a press release out on Dec. 30 is entirely possible.

The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #45 of 81

Tomorrow?

post #46 of 81
Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post
Tomorrow?

 

If not, they only have one more day beyond that to meet the deadline.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #47 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Quote:
Tomorrow?

If not, they only have one more day beyond that to meet the deadline.

Winter starts on the 21st, no? So where do the 10 days go to; lead-time?
post #48 of 81
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post
Winter starts on the 21st, no? So where do the 10 days go to; lead-time?

 

I guess Apple could release a product on a Sunday or something. When have they, though?

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #49 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I guess Apple could release a product on a Sunday or something. When have they, though?

I'm aiming for Tuesday 17th. But whatever the date; I just hope it won't be a roll-out like last years' iMac.
post #50 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I'm aiming for Tuesday 17th. But whatever the date; I just hope it won't be a roll-out like last years' iMac.

Makes you wonder what is taking so long. I have to wonder if Intel is to blame this time around? Well OK maybe not so much Intel as Apple pushing real hard to get TB2 out the door along with the new Xeon tech.


This is going to be a very interesting machine and frankly I'm waiting to hear from all of the early adopters on this forum. Likewise I'm waiting for signs of life for the Mini.
post #51 of 81
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post


I'm aiming for Tuesday 17th. But whatever the date; I just hope it won't be a roll-out like last years' iMac.

 

 

I waited forever for my iMac to arrive.  They really could have done it better.  

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #52 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

This is going to be a very interesting machine and frankly I'm waiting to hear from all of the early adopters on this forum.

Dick Appelbaum and digital lips are getting one, and it looks like Bergermeister has got his 2nd mortgage arranged. 1biggrin.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

I waited forever for my iMac to arrive.

I remember that. And somehow Sol got his first, which makes me hope you'll get yours as customer #1.
post #53 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post
 

Tomorrow?

 

That was my guess.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post


I'm aiming for Tuesday 17th. But whatever the date; I just hope it won't be a roll-out like last years' iMac.

 

The 16th and 17th have been bandied about, but any serious software or hardware issues that crop up upon release (like the WD drive problem with Mavericks) would seem to require some Apple employees to work through Christmas.

 

What kind of company would plan for something like that?

The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #54 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

The 16th and 17th have been bandied about, but any serious software or hardware issues that crop up upon release (like the WD drive problem with Mavericks) would seem to require some Apple employees to work through Christmas.

I don't understand the December release myself for this very reason.

I missed the memo on the 16 or 17 Dec and why it is out. Do you know why these dates are unlikely?
post #55 of 81

Have some patience.

post #56 of 81
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I remember that. And somehow Sol got his first, which makes me hope you'll get yours as customer #1.

 

 

I'm not gong to order right away.  

 

The main reason I want a MP is for rendering with 3D apps (which I recently have gotten into).  The main one I use now is Carrara, and sometimes Daz3D.  I contacted the maker and they said to wait a see if there is a big improvement over using a mini render farm.  The 2009 MacPro, they said was actually somewhat slow at rendering due to the design of the motherboard or something like that.

 

Carrara has a built-in farm engine so I might do better just to add a couple of minis.  

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #57 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post


I'm not gong to order right away.  

The main reason I want a MP is for rendering with 3D apps (which I recently have gotten into).  The main one I use now is Carrara, and sometimes Daz3D.  I contacted the maker and they said to wait a see if there is a big improvement over using a mini render farm.  The 2009 MacPro, they said was actually somewhat slow at rendering due to the design of the motherboard or something like that.

Carrara has a built-in farm engine so I might do better just to add a couple of minis.  

Even then the Mini would be nice with a boost to Haswell. That hasn't happened yet either. It really looks like Apple doesn't give a damn about the desktop.
post #58 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post


I don't understand the December release myself for this very reason.

I missed the memo on the 16 or 17 Dec and why it is out. Do you know why these dates are unlikely?

 

Reading on another site it appears some companies are on a fiscal year that matches the calendar year and would like the tax benefit of the nMP showing up in December. Others noted that they have approval to purchase this quarter. If it doesn't show, then they have to go through the approval process again.

 

What memo?

 

Apple traditionally releases on a Tuesday, but the nMP is billed as thinking outside the box so I guess it could be released on any day of the week.

 

I don't know about other people but the longer I have to wait the more I think do I really need/want it.

post #59 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post
 

 

 

I'm not gong to order right away.  

 

The main reason I want a MP is for rendering with 3D apps (which I recently have gotten into).  The main one I use now is Carrara, and sometimes Daz3D.  I contacted the maker and they said to wait a see if there is a big improvement over using a mini render farm.  The 2009 MacPro, they said was actually somewhat slow at rendering due to the design of the motherboard or something like that.

 

Carrara has a built-in farm engine so I might do better just to add a couple of minis.  


It's unlikely that either of those will use the gpus to render anything other than what you see on screen during scene navigation. Offline rendering using gpus only comes up in a few places. I know of iRay (built into mental ray), Octane, and whatever pre-beta thing Blender uses. Some others use gpu rendering for draft renders, but the finals are always done on cpu. The typical issues with gpu based rendering are lack of maturity in feature sets and limitations due to things like the amount of ram available.

post #60 of 81
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmm View Post
 


It's unlikely that either of those will use the gpus to render anything other than what you see on screen during scene navigation. Offline rendering using gpus only comes up in a few places. I know of iRay (built into mental ray), Octane, and whatever pre-beta thing Blender uses. Some others use gpu rendering for draft renders, but the finals are always done on cpu. The typical issues with gpu based rendering are lack of maturity in feature sets and limitations due to things like the amount of ram available.

 

 

I should have been clearer.

 

I had asked about the new MacPro and whether it would be good for rendering, or whether might be better to set up a small render farm (say an 8-core MP versus 2 quad-core machines or even 3 or 4, giving more cores than the single MP (I assume the 12-core will be out of my reach).  I am of course worried about the minis and heat.

 

The answer was: it's not known yet.  Though a multi-core machine usually will  be faster than a farm of the same core count, it depends on the motherboard of the machine as to how good it will be.  He pointed out the 2009 MP as an example of an 8-core machine that was actually quite slow at rendering, due to the layout of the board or something technical that I can't grasp.  The apps do not utilize the GPU for rendering.

 

He suggested waiting to see how the new MP does in real use and then decide.  They might actually get one and be able to test it.

 

As my current iMac is pretty good I am not in a hurry.

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #61 of 81

Okay, so I guess it's the 16-17th.  :err:

The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #62 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Okay, so I guess it's the 16-17th.  1bugeye.gif

I was thinking this Friday! Even so it looks like another fouled up release is coming.
post #63 of 81

I think we all wanted it sooner than later but if there's availability on day of release I wouldn't consider it a foul up. I guess we'll soon know.

post #64 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

I think we all wanted it sooner than later but if there's availability on day of release I wouldn't consider it a foul up. I guess we'll soon know.

The thing that bothers me is that I looks like the basic design has been nailed down for some time now. So the thought is what is the hold up? GPUs? CPUs? Hardware design issues? I really don't know but it just seems odd to draw this out like they are.
post #65 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post


The thing that bothers me is that I looks like the basic design has been nailed down for some time now. So the thought is what is the hold up? GPUs? CPUs? Hardware design issues? I really don't know but it just seems odd to draw this out like they are.

 

Maybe Apple wants to avoid the foul up you've referred to and wants to make sure they actually have day-of availability. Anyway, one can always hope.

post #66 of 81
"How will the MacPro be introduced?"

Apparently Peter Pan's shadow will fly it in, along with the other imaginary devices that don't exist.
Edited by fixmdude - 12/11/13 at 12:18pm
post #67 of 81
Thread Starter 
Very difficult to create a message before Safari crashes....  I'm averaging five crashes per attempt.  REALLY irritating and only on AI for me.
 
 
The 17th is here . . .  (for me it is 10 minutes before the 18th...)

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #68 of 81

Still almost two hours before Cupertino starts work.

The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #69 of 81
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
Still almost two hours before Cupertino starts work.

 

Ain’t happenin’. They missed it again.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #70 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

Ain’t happenin’. They missed it again.

 

I sincerely hope you're wrong. Pushing the release into the Christmas-New Year's break is terrible.

The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #71 of 81
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

I sincerely hope you're wrong. Pushing the release into the Christmas-New Year's break is terrible.

 

Oh, no. It’ll be January. Apple’s off during the break.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #72 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

Oh, no. It’ll be January. Apple’s off during the break.

 

I know they are. Which is why I figured it would be today.

 

Apple's website says "Coming in December" today, and I can't believe they would outright lie to their professional customers.

 

For some people waiting to buy with corporate budgets, ordering pre-Dec 31 is a big deal.

The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #73 of 81

Hey, come on guys, give Apple some slack. After all the website says coming in December but doesn't say which year.

post #74 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post


Update to 10.9.1 and the Safari crashing stops - turns out it was never Huddlers' doing.
post #75 of 81

Okay, so today's out of the running. :no:

 

I can't believe the new Pro will get a silent intro during the height of the Christmas season.

 

After waiting for the last six years, the maiden voyage of our newest flagship deserves more pomp and circumstance than this.

The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #76 of 81
Thread Starter 

OK.  Have 10.9.1.  Hope this is better!  Yep!

 

 

 

 

Nothing released today.  Could something be wrong with production or development (remember new FCPX is coming as well)?

 

All the more reason not to order immediately when they release?

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #77 of 81
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post
 

Hey, come on guys, give Apple some slack. After all the website says coming in December but doesn't say which year.

 

 

Heh!

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #78 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

OK.  Have 10.9.1.  Hope this is better!  Yep!

Funny thing with Apple here: they update OSX and Safari on iOS/AI doesn't crash anymore. Gotta love tech.

Quote:
Nothing released today.  Could something be wrong with production or development (remember new FCPX is coming as well)?


All the more reason not to order immediately when they release?

Hate to sound negative here, but I just don't see it happening anymore this month. It would be realistic to think these are the last working days for the majority of Apple employees for the year, and they'll be back Monday 6th. Besides, it's not only Apple, but their partners as well for the release of the new MP.

So yeah, possibly better to set ones mind to a version 2 of products? This has quite some advantages; may outweigh a v1 product?

#2: Is there indeed a new FCPX coming, or is this speculation? Thanks.
post #79 of 81
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post


Funny thing with Apple here: they update OSX and Safari on iOS/AI doesn't crash anymore. Gotta love tech.
Hate to sound negative here, but I just don't see it happening anymore this month. It would be realistic to think these are the last working days for the majority of Apple employees for the year, and they'll be back Monday 6th. Besides, it's not only Apple, but their partners as well for the release of the new MP.

So yeah, possibly better to set ones mind to a version 2 of products? This has quite some advantages; may outweigh a v1 product?

#2: Is there indeed a new FCPX coming, or is this speculation? Thanks.

 

 

All I wanted for Christmas was a MacPro price list.  Santa!!!!!!!!!!  (yelled like Kirk screaming Kahn! in Star Trek II;  OK, I'm adding a few years on)

 

OK.  That's better.

 

#2  http://www.apple.com/mac-pro/performance/

Says it in the text.  Coming in December.

 

For 4K dreamers, it adds:

 

"And Final Cut Pro X has been so perfectly tuned to take advantage of the new Mac Pro, you can work in 4K — in real time — without rendering. (Take a minute to let that slowly sink in.)"

 

We've now had most of December so it has sunk in pretty well...


Edited by Bergermeister - 12/18/13 at 12:31am

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #80 of 81
Thread Starter 

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › How will the MacPro be introduced?