or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Photo claims to show dozens of 'iPhone 5C 'units passing through QA testing
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Photo claims to show dozens of 'iPhone 5C 'units passing through QA testing

post #1 of 108
Thread Starter 
A new image has emerged online showing what appears to be a number of "iPhone 5C" models in testing in a Pegatron facility, as Apple gears up to introduce the anticipated device next month.



The images first appeared on Chinese site Sina Weibo and show numerous devices that match prior descriptions supposedly describing Apple's low-cost device. Notably, the devices pictured feature a black glass facade surrounding the display, an aspect that runs counter to previous renders, which have shown the device with a white face.

Some observers have suggested that such a design with black glass on the front may be meant to differentiate the device low-end iPhone from the iPod touch, which has a similar aesthetic. However, it's also possible that the image could be fake, and that the so-called "iPhone 5C" will in fact include white front glass to match the model with a white plastic back.

All of the handsets pictured feature a white back and sides. The new plastic iPhone model is expected to also come in a range of other colors, including blue, red, green, and yellow.

The image appears to show the devices' internal components of the handsets being tested ahead of final production. The picture was first publicized on Saturday by Nowhereelse.fr.

Observers expect that Apple will call its new model the "iPhone 5C" and that it will be the counterpart to Apple's flagship next-generation handset, a so-called "iPhone 5S." While the "iPhone 5S" is expected to feature the same premium materials that have typified Apple's smartphones since the iPhone 4, the "iPhone 5C" is believed to feature a polycarbonate chassis, which would lower construction costs and allow the company to offer it to a wider buying populace without sacrificing profit margins.

Some industry watchers expect that the "iPhone 5C" will replace the iPhone 5, marking a departure from Apple's usual policy of offering older models at a lower price. The low-end iPhone is expected to debut at a Sept. 10 media event, with a global launch likely coming soon after.
post #2 of 108
I hope this isn't how iPhones are tested. This is a mess! Some of the power/interface connectors look too big. Of course, this photo isn't clear enough to show what's on the screens.
post #3 of 108
The black front makes more sense than a white one if you think about it, and this is the first supposed picture of the assembled device that we've seen.
I think it's real and that the fronts are all black.
post #4 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob53 View Post

I hope this isn't how iPhones are tested. This is a mess! Some of the power/interface connectors look too big. Of course, this photo isn't clear enough to show what's on the screens.


This looks more like a development picture than a manufacturing picture. 

45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
post #5 of 108
"if you think about it"

I thought about it, and no, it does not make sense, invalidating your whole theory of "thinking about it".
post #6 of 108
One thing we can definitely say about this, dudes! This is a photograph!! But dude! Why are all these phones in a fridge, connected by different kinds of tangled up bad cable, with mattress labels (do not remove this label under penalty of law) attached to them? Does this make sense? Does it scale up to millions of phones? Hey, dude, it DOES if you GET ENOUGH REFRIGERATORS!!
post #7 of 108
Black front makes sense..the Apple logo and typeface on the back are all black.
post #8 of 108

What's with the non-Apple lightning connectors? Is Pegatron also charging new iPhones at the factory with non-Apple power adapters too? It's only a matter of time before the whole factory goes up in flames or electrocutes some poor factory worker taking a bath.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #9 of 108
I wish I had one of those long TB cables!
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
Reply
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
Reply
post #10 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogCowabunga View Post

One thing we can definitely say about this, dudes! This is a photograph!! But dude! Why are all these phones in a fridge, connected by different kinds of tangled up bad cable, with mattress labels (do not remove this label under penalty of law) attached to them? Does this make sense? Does it scale up to millions of phones? Hey, dude, it DOES if you GET ENOUGH REFRIGERATORS!!

 

This photo is blurry enough to hide a Sasquatch. For once, would somebody please give these factory workers an iPhone so their photos don't look like sh**?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #11 of 108
That is truly one dumb worker, or should I say ex-worker? If what was written on Engadget is true about the dumb broad, then she is busted. How stupid can somebody be? And they worked in quality control?

These plants obviously need a better hiring process, in order to filter out potential spies and other people who are just plain dumb.
post #12 of 108
These phones are different from earlier leaks, the front plate for these are black with white backs, where it was all white before.
post #13 of 108

Are those first 4 digits in the URL a year? Is this quite an old photo?

post #14 of 108
Originally Posted by ascii View Post
Are those first 4 digits in the URL a year? Is this quite an old photo?

 

It was taken on the 566th day of the 35th month of 2012, so it wasn't THAT long ago.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #15 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It was taken on the 566th day of the 35th month of 2012, so it wasn't THAT long ago.

:) I was more thinking it could be the 35,566th upload of 2012.

post #16 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

:) I was more thinking it could be the 35,566th upload of 2012.

It's the dumb worker's account number on weibo, I think.

post #17 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I wish I had one of those long TB cables!

Buy one and you will.
post #18 of 108

Fake photo, or real, in just under 3 weeks we will hopefully know exactly what iPhones Apple has in store for us this year. That's if the rumour about Sept 10th is correct.

 

Hope this photo is fake, as I hope they take more care of them than is shown by this photo. If it's real, it could explain how & why the iPhone 5 suffered the damaged finish problems at first. Just a thought.

post #19 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

It's the dumb worker's account number on weibo, I think.

Ah, thanks.

post #20 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by oomu View Post

"if you think about it"

I thought about it, and no, it does not make sense, invalidating your whole theory of "thinking about it".

 

Okay, I was probably too brief, sorry. 

 

The way I see it, it makes more sense to go with black because there are more than just white phones, there are green and blue and red phones.  It therefore makes no sense for them to make multicoloured (blue, red, green) fronts, so the fronts will either be all white, or all black.  

 

On balance, there are a few more reasons to go with black than white.  Two reasons being that the iPods are already almost the exact same shape with white fronts and coloured backs (black differentiates), and the original iPhone aesthetic is all black to begin with.  Also, all the Android and Windows Phone phones (the competition) they are attempting to disrupt with this model, also have coloured backs with black fronts, (but that could be a reason either to copy or to go the opposite way).  

 

It's a bit of a tossup and I suppose they could go with white, but before we saw this picture I would argue that the odds were about 60/40 that they would go with black.  Now the picture appears and they are black, I would argue that there is no reason to think it's fake.  

 

There could also be a giant pile of phones with white fronts (i.e. they could offer both) just to one side of this pile, but I don't think they would bother with that many SKU's at launch.  

They had to go with all white or all black, and I think on balance that black makes more sense. 

post #21 of 108

Bad Photoshop!

post #22 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by TogetherWeStand View Post

Hope this photo is fake, as I hope they take more care of them than is shown by this photo. If it's real, it could explain how & why the iPhone 5 suffered the damaged finish problems at first. Just a thought.

 

It's probably real, and you're just misreading the photo.

 

No way do they make millions of iPhones and then have all of them loosely scattered around in refrigerators.

 

It's obviously a small test batch. That's how modern manufacturing works. It doesn't matter if you're mass producing beer or iPhones, the same principles apply.

post #23 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by murman View Post

These phones are different from earlier leaks, the front plate for these are black with white backs, where it was all white before.

Thanks for saying what the article already said.

post #24 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Black front makes sense..the Apple logo and typeface on the back are all black.

 

I've been thinking over the past few weeks that it was a high possibility these would have black fronts because of the logos.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

 

Okay, I was probably too brief, sorry. 

 

The way I see it, it makes more sense to go with black because there are more than just white phones, there are green and blue and red phones.  It therefore makes no sense for them to make multicoloured (blue, red, green) fronts, so the fronts will either be all white, or all black.  

 

On balance, there are a few more reasons to go with black than white.  Two reasons being that the iPods are already almost the exact same shape with white fronts and coloured backs (black differentiates), and the original iPhone aesthetic is all black to begin with.  Also, all the Android and Windows Phone phones (the competition) they are attempting to disrupt with this model, also have coloured backs with black fronts, (but that could be a reason either to copy or to go the opposite way).  

 

It's a bit of a tossup and I suppose they could go with white, but before we saw this picture I would argue that the odds were about 60/40 that they would go with black.  Now the picture appears and they are black, I would argue that there is no reason to think it's fake.  

 

There could also be a giant pile of phones with white fronts (i.e. they could offer both) just to one side of this pile, but I don't think they would bother with that many SKU's at launch.  

They had to go with all white or all black, and I think on balance that black makes more sense. 

 

You're first reason is valid and likely.

 

Black fronts for the 5C differentiates it from the iPod Touch and also the 5S because there is no black back option for the 5C unlike the slate back on the 5S.

 

You're second reason concerns me.

 

I don't know if Apple did this because of the competition but regardless of their reason, Tech Pundits and outsiders will immediately ASSUME Apple chose black front/colored back because of the competition.

post #25 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by TogetherWeStand View Post

Hope this photo is fake, as I hope they take more care of them than is shown by this photo. If it's real, it could explain how & why the iPhone 5 suffered the damaged finish problems at first. Just a thought.

During the final stages of iPhone 5 manufacturing, they were given to pitbulls as chew toys. Some may have sustained damage to their finish.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #26 of 108
They may be testing substandard chargers, cords & conditions to develope safegaurds to keep Chinese people from getting electricuted
post #27 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

 

Okay, I was probably too brief, sorry. 

 

The way I see it, it makes more sense to go with black because there are more than just white phones, there are green and blue and red phones.  It therefore makes no sense for them to make multicoloured (blue, red, green) fronts, so the fronts will either be all white, or all black.  

 

On balance, there are a few more reasons to go with black than white.  Two reasons being that the iPods are already almost the exact same shape with white fronts and coloured backs (black differentiates), and the original iPhone aesthetic is all black to begin with.  Also, all the Android and Windows Phone phones (the competition) they are attempting to disrupt with this model, also have coloured backs with black fronts, (but that could be a reason either to copy or to go the opposite way).  

 

It's a bit of a tossup and I suppose they could go with white, but before we saw this picture I would argue that the odds were about 60/40 that they would go with black.  Now the picture appears and they are black, I would argue that there is no reason to think it's fake.  

 

There could also be a giant pile of phones with white fronts (i.e. they could offer both) just to one side of this pile, but I don't think they would bother with that many SKU's at launch.  

They had to go with all white or all black, and I think on balance that black makes more sense. 

to add a few thoughts to your argument, both for and against:

1. (Against) the article claims these are in a testing phase.  Could it be that they just threw together a couple dozen phones not really caring what the front bezel is?

2. (For) Perhaps its cheaper to produce the black bezel vs. the white one.

3. (For) if they are trying to minimize the cost of production.  A single color face would make the most sense.  However, since we've seen in past leaks that they will produce a black iPhone 5C, then going with black for al the other colored bodies seems to make more sense than having all white bezels and having the one odd-ball black with white bezel.

4. (Against) the same argument could be raised about the white front.  Since all the other iPhone/iPod Touch models do offer the white front/colored back, it would make more sense for consistency of the line.

5. (For) but to make this product stand out as something different or less expensive, the standard black front could be a ways to do this.  Look that the "budget" model of the iPod touch.  Alum. back and Black front.

 

Personally, i would like them to go back to the all black fronts.  My first iPhone was the white iPhone 3G and i thought that was a great combination.  I really hate the colored back and white front look.  I think it distracts too much from the content on the screen.  That being said, iOS 7 seems to have much more white on the screen than before, so maybe the white will make more sense once we get on iOS 7 but for all intents and purposes...in general the white bezel provides too much contrast to the screen content.  I've never liked it.  Since when have you seen a computer monitor or TV with a White bezel?  I really wish even the White/silver 5S would go with a black front.  Would make it look more like the original iPhone which I still think is a great design.  much more easy to hold than these chamfered corner phones.  But Apple puts sharp corners on lots of devices where they shouldn't be (i.e. at the edges of the Macbooks where you hand/wrist always seems to lay).


Edited by antkm1 - 8/24/13 at 9:24pm
post #28 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob53 View Post

I hope this isn't how iPhones are tested. This is a mess! Some of the power/interface connectors look too big. Of course, this photo isn't clear enough to show what's on the screens.

It could be how a batch of pre-production units could be tested that won't actually be shipped to a customer.

post #29 of 108

It's because of people like this bitch that took the photo that security measures increase, leading to more inefficiency, difficulty, monitoring, and inconvenience for employees who don't take illegal pics like this and post them online. And she just got hired in mid-July. Hope it was worth her ass being fired. 

post #30 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

to add a few thoughts to your argument, both for and against:

1. (Against) the article claims these are in a testing phase.  Could it be that they just threw together a couple dozen phones not really caring what the front bezel is?

2. (For) Perhaps its cheaper to produce the black bezel vs. the white one.

3. (For) if they are trying to minimize the cost of production.  A single color face would make the most sense.  However, since we've seen in past leaks that they will produce a black iPhone 5C, then going with black for al the other colored bodies seems to make more sense than having all white bezels and having the one odd-ball black with white bezel.

4. (Against) the same argument could be raised about the white front.  Since all the other iPhone/iPod Touch models do offer the white front/colored back, it would make more sense for consistency of the line.

5. (For) but to make this product stand out as something different or less expensive, the standard black front could be a ways to do this.  Look that the "budget" model of the iPod touch.  Alum. back and Black front.

 

Personally, i would like them to go back to the all black fronts.  My first iPhone was the white iPhone 3G and i thought that was a great combination.  I really hate the colored back and white front look.  I think it distracts too much from the content on the screen.  That being said, iOS 7 seems to have much more white on the screen than before, so maybe the white will make more sense once we get on iOS 7 but for all intents and purposes...in general the white bezel provides too much contrast to the screen content.  I've never liked it.  Since when have you seen a computer monitor or TV with a White bezel?  I really wish even the White/silver 5S would go with a black front.  Would make it look more like the original iPhone which I still think is a great design.  much more easy to hold than these chamfered corner phones.  But Apple puts sharp corners on lots of devices where they shouldn't be (i.e. at the edges of the Macbooks where you hand/wrist always seems to lay).

 

Yeah, my initial instinct was just "black fronts? … makes sense" but in writing it out in detail, there are some reasons to go with white.  I still think on balance that black wins out though.  

 

Maybe they will make both, but for production simplicity and given that they are already making multicoloured back pieces, I think they will go with the rest of the phone being identical. It makes it far easier to switch volumes on the SKU's. Like if lime green isn't selling and they have a warehouse full of them, they could easily pull out the guts and put it in white backs and save the majority of their costs on that inventory.  If they are going for cheap production, they should also be going for flexible production.  

 

I think the picture seems real enough though and that alone is a convincing argument that they are going with all black fronts.  

 

As with all of this kind of rumour and speculation, I could of course be completely wrong. 1smile.gif

post #31 of 108
Since when have you seen a computer monitor or TV with a White bezel?
[/quote]

iMac G4 until the aluminum iMacs
post #32 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob53 View Post

I hope this isn't how iPhones are tested. This is a mess! Some of the power/interface connectors look too big. Of course, this photo isn't clear enough to show what's on the screens.

These tests are likely being done on pre-production product that will never leave the plant. 

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #33 of 108
Some of these phones are MUCH LARGER than the current 5...
post #34 of 108
There are 58 iPhones in there.

And it appears the software running on the iPhones is a custom firmware / app designed for QA testing alone. I doubt those phones are flashed with iOS 7 already.
Edited by nikilok - 8/24/13 at 11:34pm
post #35 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

It's because of people like this bitch that took the photo that security measures increase, leading to more inefficiency, difficulty, monitoring, and inconvenience for employees who don't take illegal pics like this and post them online. And she just got hired in mid-July. Hope it was worth her ass being fired. 

I wonder how he or she managed sneaking a camera in. Prolly those button sized cameras.
That however needs sophistication to make.

I need to try and see if I can trace device information off that pic. If I see Samsung manufactured the devices we know who hired the spy.

If that's the case the spy would have been highly paid off.
post #36 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Black front makes sense..the Apple logo and typeface on the back are all black.

That's what I was thinking too.

post #37 of 108

Whoever took that snap, has taken more closeup snaps for sure.

Dint post it online, that's all. It's very unlikely that the person dint take more pictures if he / she had the oppurtunity to take one of these.

post #38 of 108
Not in an industrial elevator so I'm calling fake.
It's the heat death of the universe, my friends.
Reply
It's the heat death of the universe, my friends.
Reply
post #39 of 108
iDoS 1wink.gif
post #40 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropys View Post

Not in an industrial elevator so I'm calling fake.

I image-Bing-ed that, but came up with heavy duty stuff. What should that look like, what you're referring to?
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
Reply
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Photo claims to show dozens of 'iPhone 5C 'units passing through QA testing
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Photo claims to show dozens of 'iPhone 5C 'units passing through QA testing