or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Photo claims to show dozens of 'iPhone 5C 'units passing through QA testing

Photo claims to show dozens of 'iPhone 5C 'units passing through QA testing - Page 3

post #81 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

And you can reach that conclusion simply by looking at a blurry picture? Amazing.

Yup.

Glad to be a source of your amazement.
post #82 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

That's right, the Goophone. Had forgotten about that. Lol!

Have you seen the GooPhone HDC One? It's an all-plastic, low-spec, cheap knockoff of the HTC One.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #83 of 108
Oh geez. . . Equal opportunity rip-offs!! 1eek.gif
melior diabolus quem scies
post #84 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogun View Post

I'm no expert, but it looks fake to me. The fact that Engadget say they've seen something like this before doesn't mean this shot is real. Something about the perspective of the phones between the top row and bottom looks off to me, and some of the phone look like they're floating due to their perspective, rather than actually lying there.

In the end, I expect that 95+% of these leaked photos are straight outta Cupertino. They benefit immensely from the build up of interest, and they are able to tamp down interest or concern in certain things through these leaks. 

Having some experience with hoaxed pictures, I find they generally fall into two categories. 

1) A picture is taken that just happens to look like something even though it has nothing to do with the subject in question. ("Look Ma, it looks like there's a UFO hovering over the lake behind you in that picture I took of you in your new bathing suit!")

2) A picture is taken/made that is especially and purposely crafted to look like something else. ("This is my friend Gegar the alien visiting with me in the rec room")

In the first case, the truth can usually be easily determined using standard picture analysis techniques.  In the second case the motive can easily be determined with standard logical analysis and therefore the hoax exposed in both cases.  

So with these pictures … I don't see any likelihood that these are not Apple devices in the picture (they clearly aren't anything being mistaken for an Apple device), and there simply is no realistic motive for constructing an elaborate fake either.  What would be the point of someone photoshopping a bunch of non-Apple phones in a pile to look like Apple phones in a pile?  We already know with almost 100% certainty that phones like this exist and that they are being made by Apple as we speak in a Pegatron plant.  Why would anyone go to the trouble of making a fake picture to confirm this?  

In other words there is no motive for a fake picture of this type, and no indication that it's a misidentification.  Ergo, probably a real picture.  

post #85 of 108
I work in the display industry (OLEDS). These are display lifetime tests. The phones are placed in a temperature controlled "oven" and cycled through various colors to test display performance.
post #86 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

and there simply is no realistic motive for constructing an elaborate fake either.  What would be the point of someone photoshopping a bunch of non-Apple phones in a pile to look like Apple phones in a pile?  We already know with almost 100% certainty that phones like this exist and that they are being made by Apple as we speak in a Pegatron plant.  Why would anyone go to the trouble of making a fake picture to confirm this?  

In other words there is no motive for a fake picture of this type, and no indication that it's a misidentification.  Ergo, probably a real picture.  

I don't agree with the conclusion that there is no motive. The web is full of fake rendering and illustrations, some of which are very good. For every fake rendering in existence, there was a motive, be it internal or external. And at least one 5C photo has been outed as a fake--the black plastic case with the black logo).

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #87 of 108

You can clearly see the Android robot on the 4th phone from the right, back row.

Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
post #88 of 108
Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post
You can clearly see the Android robot on the 4th phone from the right, back row.

Not really. I see red, green, and blue pixels in amorphous blobs.

Here's a perspective crop of the image. Is there a higher resolution of it anywhere? I somehow doubt it. But you can see it's nothing like that the Android android at all.

And here's one of the entire top shelf.

Edited by Tallest Skil - 8/25/13 at 5:06pm

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #89 of 108
Hey, maybe you're all wrong and those aren't even iPhones.. Just Samsung lookalikes.. You never know 😂
post #90 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by v5v View Post

Also "as usual" you ignore the subject matter and choose instead to insult someone trying really hard to have a meaningful discussion. If you know so much, why not explain how it applies rather than posturing as the disdainful expert? I know I'd be interested and I'd bet a lot of others would be, too.

If anyone else had asked, I would have explained it.

Gatorguy, OTOH, never adds anything of value to the discussion and simply comes out with blind hatred of Apple. When you DO try to explain something to him, he plays his usual red herring cards and diverts the discussion far afield.

And since YOU asked, the major focus of Lean is elimination of waste of all types. Wasted effort of any type is anathema. A jumble of phones like that would create so much waste that no Lean experts would possibly allow it. Just a few of the areas of waste in that picture:
- Wasted effort finding the phone in question (they're not labeled).
- Wasted damage to the phones - from them being jumbled together)
- Wasted effort from untangling phones to check on the one in question.

Checking those phones would be a nightmare - whereas a properly implemented lean program would make it trivial.

And, yes, one can argue that it's only a few extra seconds per phone, but that's irrelevant. Lean doesn't accept ANY extra time unless absolutely necessary and certainly never advocates a jumbled mess like that. And it certainly has nothing to do with quality control as GG suggested. Ideally, Lean REDUCES the amount of QC rather than increasing it.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #91 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I see red, green, and blue pixels in amorphous blobs.

Here's a perspective crop of the image. Is there a higher resolution of it anywhere? I somehow doubt it. But you can see it's nothing like that the Android android at all.

Android uses those colors; there is a wallpaper called chroma shown here:

http://androidspin.com/2011/10/20/11-high-res-wallpapers-from-the-android-4-0-sdk-build-for-your-viewing-pleasure/

It doesn't look exactly like it but those colors are also used in the 4.3 boot animation:

It could be a custom wallpaper but very Android-like. I think the phone is this one:

http://techdy.com/shop/basic-bear/

You can see the same horrible color options there that have shown up in previous photos. They might have put iPhone home buttons in a batch, they definitely made ones with iPhone home buttons. They may also have based it off an actual iPhone 5C so there could be an iPhone 5C that ends up looking like this and many of the photos will have been fakes.
post #92 of 108
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
Android uses those colors; there is a wallpaper called chroma shown here:

Indeed, but that's horizontal; this is vertical. I dunno; it just doesn't look like an Android robot, is all. Not saying it's an iPhone.

those colors are also used in the 4.3 boot animation:

I don't know what that video was supposed to show, other than the abysmal and unacceptable boot time of Android devices. I didn't see anything that would suggest colors across the entire screen.

How are these people not in jail? How are they not sued off the face of the Earth? 👿😡😦

Anyway, you make a really good point with this last bit.

post #93 of 108
Quote:

Checking those phones would be a nightmare - whereas a properly implemented lean program would make it trivial. [ ...] Ideally, Lean REDUCES the amount of QC rather than increasing it.

Gotcha. Makes sense.

Thanks for the info! Very interesting.

post #94 of 108
Quote:

How are these people not in jail? How are they not sued off the face of the Earth? 👿😡😦

How confident are we that these things actually exist and are not an elaborate prank or scam?

post #95 of 108

How confident are we that these things actually exist and are not an elaborate prank or scam?

Ooh! Another good point. Though why go to the trouble to purposely get INTO legal trouble with Apple? Samsung did it for real. eMachines did it for real.

post #96 of 108
Quote:

Nobody has been able to buy one because they don't go on sale until October.

"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #97 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Nobody has been able to buy one because they don't go on sale until October.

...or WILL they? Remind me to visit the site on October 2 to see if I can actually place an order. I'm betting it won't be possible.

post #98 of 108
Quote:

...or WILL they? Remind me to visit the site on October 2 to see if I can actually place an order. I'm betting it won't be possible.

I'm curious to see myself, and I'd make that same exact bet.
post #99 of 108
Quote:

I can't remember if there was a video of a working model but they made the shells:

If they are making a knockoff, they'd be best to wait until Apple launches so that they don't end going to market with a product buyers don't want.
post #100 of 108
Quote:

If they are making a knockoff, they'd be best to wait until Apple launches so that they don't end going to market with a product buyers don't want.

Didn't you read that they have a whopping 5,000 preordered already? lol.gif
post #101 of 108
Quote:

Indeed, but that's horizontal; this is vertical. I dunno; it just doesn't look like an Android robot, is all. Not saying it's an iPhone.

I don't know what that video was supposed to show, other than the abysmal and unacceptable boot time of Android devices. I didn't see anything that would suggest colors across the entire screen.

Anyway, you make a really good point with this last bit.

Apple's relative silence concerning these leaks and knockoffs is really something.

Part of me wants to think their inactions is because these are all fake. But maybe it's because they don't care?
post #102 of 108
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post
Apple's relative silence concerning these leaks and knockoffs is really something.

Part of me wants to think their inactions is because these are all fake. But maybe it's because they don't care?

I'd think another part of it is the 5C hasn't been released yet. They don't like confirming things before they've confirmed them.

post #103 of 108
Quote:

I'd think another part of it is the 5C hasn't been released yet. They don't like confirming things before they've confirmed them.

True.

It's probably futile to hold out hope a plastic iPhone is not happening at this point.
post #104 of 108
48 amps... their wiring must be robust.
post #105 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soloman View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I wish I had one of those long TB cables!

Buy one and you will.

They only have 0.5 and 1.0 meter cables. These seem to be longer. Of course, I could buy a USB male-female extender...
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
post #106 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Or maybe it's because Apple NEVER responds to rumors. 1smoking.gif
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #107 of 108
Quote:

Or maybe it's because Apple NEVER responds to rumors. 1smoking.gif

Agreed it's very rare indeed, but they'll occasionally respond to a rumor.
http://www.macworld.com/article/1050682/aperture.html
http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/12/apple-shoots-down-rumor-about-pro-audio-team-decimation/

I don't believe they've ever responded to a rumor of a future product tho so as JR accurately points out there's absolutely zero reason to expect a response to any of these 5C rumors either.

Edit: @anantksudaram (or any other highly knowledgeable investor for that matter).
Does the SEC mandated "quiet period" rule limit new product announcements until the SEC signs off on the statement? I understand it comes into play with things like rumors of layoffs or product order cutbacks that could negatively affect stock prices. Just curious.
Edited by Gatorguy - 8/26/13 at 6:14am
post #108 of 108
Quote:

They saw similar things during factory tours of the Meizu factory. Meizu makes phones with black fronts and white plastic backs that look like iPhones:

http://en.meizu.com

A commenter somewhere even said that one of the screens looks like it's running Android. Maybe you can tell, does the screen with the blue/red/green colors on it resemble any of the Android startup animations or wallpapers?

The displays are also washed out at the extreme angles, which suggests non-IPS displays. Meizu phones use ASV displays so they should be ok at extreme angles but Apple doesn't use TN panels any more, even in the iPad Mini or iPod Touch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

All good questions Marvin. As far as the one phone at the top I don't personally know of any Android phones with a red/green/blue animation like that but I also couldn't possibly say there wasn't one seeing as Android home screens can be anything the manufacturer wants. The iPhone-ish round and what looks like dimensional home button doesn't resemble anything Android I've seen either, not that it proves anything. FWIW the current Meizu phone you linked looks to have a softkey for home.

In just 16 days we can revisit this thread and see if the actual iPhone looks like what we see in this photo.

Now that the 5C is officially announced it does look like a match to the phones shown on the Pegatron test rack.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Photo claims to show dozens of 'iPhone 5C 'units passing through QA testing
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Photo claims to show dozens of 'iPhone 5C 'units passing through QA testing