or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple to deliver OS X 10.8.5 with Mail, screen saver fixes as soon as today

Apple to deliver OS X 10.8.5 with Mail, screen saver fixes as soon as today

post #1 of 29
Apple began supplying prerelease builds of OS X 10.8.5 Mountain Lion to select partners on Monday, signaling that a public release of the maintenance and software update is not far behind.

Mountain Lion

People familiar with the software indicated to AppleInsider that the prerelease version made available is identified as build "12F35." The update, recommended for all users of Mountain Lion, includes the following changes:
  • Fixes an issue that may prevent Mail from displaying messages
  • Improves AFP file transfer performance over 802.11ac Wi-Fi
  • Resolves an issue that may prevent a screen saver from starting automatically
  • Improves Xsan reliability

The prerelease build supplied to partners on Monday is said to weigh in at 286 megabytes. Those early releases are typically provided only hours before the software is launched to the public, suggesting that OS X 10.8.5 will arrive on Monday.

A total of seven beta builds of OS X 10.8.5 have been supplied to developers for testing ahead of the final release. The most recent was issued on July 31, identified as build "12F30."
post #2 of 29
weigh in at 286 megabytes?
That is not weight. It is size.
post #3 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppeX View Post

I agree with AppeX. It is size and not weight. According to classical physics, weight is equal to mass times gravity. Weight = Mass x Gravity. Whereby, gravity is equal to 9.8 m/s^2

~Excuse my syntax and punctuation :) :)

post #4 of 29
Originally Posted by AppeX View Post

And yet the phrase IS appropriate.

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post
Apple began supplying prerelease builds of OS X 10.8.5 Mountain Lion to select partners on Monday, signaling that a public release of the maintenance and software update is not far behind.

So why is it that when you go to an authorized reseller after the launch of a new point update they're still running several point updates behind? I'm sure THAT isn't part of their agreement, but it's the case every time.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.

post #5 of 29

Two new posters with nothing to say other than making incorrect grammatical comments. Check the dictionary. "weigh in" doesn't have to mean the weight of something. The meaning of the sentence has to do with the importance of the size of the update. 286MB is a reasonably large update (as in data size, not weight). As for MrUnknown discussing mass and gravity, the gravity of this comment (extreme or alarming importance, nothing to do with physics) is another way of saying "weigh in" and has a similar meaning. The English language is complex and one word can have multiple meanings.

post #6 of 29

I agree and it gets on my nerves.

post #7 of 29
Well, actually it would weight 3.4Kg (basing it off from the weight of a floppy disc), which is roughly 7.5 pounds. I don't know about you, but 7.5 pounds can become quite hefty. 1biggrin.gif

-- Mike Eggleston
-- Mac Fanatic since 1984.
-- Proud Member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals
-- Wii #: 8913 3004 4519 2027

-- Mike Eggleston
-- Mac Fanatic since 1984.
-- Proud Member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals
-- Wii #: 8913 3004 4519 2027

post #8 of 29
Not to beat a dead, irrelevant horse, but the physics teacher in me won't let it sit...Mike, it would not weigh 3.4kg, it would mass 3.4kg...kg is the unit of mass, newton is the unit of force (weight) in the metric system...and I know, all those countries who use the metric system say "weigh xxx kg"...common usage but physics wrong... =]
post #9 of 29
Mr unknown...weight = mass x (acceleration due to gravity)...weight is a measure of the force of gravity on the surface of a planet or other astronomical body...
post #10 of 29
The true issue here is the impending release of the latest update to ML...as I wait patiently for the release of Mavericks...
post #11 of 29

10 points go to jimlat. You are so correct and thank you for the correction. Mass will be the same on the moon or earth, but as jimlat said, indeed, "acceleration due to gravity." Nice!!!!!!!!

post #12 of 29

Holy pedantic irrelevant comments, Batman!

post #13 of 29

Too freaking funny Maltz :) :) lol.gif

post #14 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltz View Post

Holy pedantic irrelevant comments, Batman!

Anyone who uses the word "pedantic" is pedantic! Oops! I guess I'm pedantic, too! Drats!

post #15 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob53 View Post

Two new posters with nothing to say other than making incorrect grammatical comments. Check the dictionary. "weigh in" doesn't have to mean the weight of something. The meaning of the sentence has to do with the importance of the size of the update. 286MB is a reasonably large update (as in data size, not weight). As for MrUnknown discussing mass and gravity, the gravity of this comment (extreme or alarming importance, nothing to do with physics) is another way of saying "weigh in" and has a similar meaning. The English language is complex and one word can have multiple meanings.

It would have been better if they did not weigh-in with their comments.

Help! I'm trapped in a white dungeon of amazing precision and impeccable tolerances!

Help! I'm trapped in a white dungeon of amazing precision and impeccable tolerances!

post #16 of 29

So... does anyone care about OSX 10.8.5, and it's improved features?

post #17 of 29
Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

Not as much with Mavericks ~2 months away.

post #18 of 29
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

• Fixes an issue that may prevent Mail from displaying messages

I hope it fixes other Mail issues.  Mail is the big ugly furball of OS X IMHO.

(In terms of bugs, anyway.  In terms of user experience, the biggest ugliest OS X furball is clearly iTunes.)

iOS Mail is far less buggy.  Maybe it's time to refactor some classes?

Time to clear up some of those Xcode compiler warnings? 

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #19 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Anyone who uses the word "pedantic" is pedantic! Oops! I guess I'm pedantic, too! Drats!

I have to concede, there's probably a grain of truth in that.  lol

post #20 of 29
It was released last Thursday:

Apple Preparing Employees for OS X 10.8.5 Launch with New Prerelease Build 12F35
Thursday August 22, 2013 7:20 am PDT by Eric Slivka
http://www.macrumors.com/2013/08/22/apple-preparing-employees-for-os-x-10-8-5-launch-with-new-prerelease-build-12f35
post #21 of 29

Another correction-

"The most recent was issued on July 31, identified as build "12F30.""

The most recent developer build was actually 12F33 on Aug 7...which is what still shows in the Mac Developer Center as the current prerelease version.

post #22 of 29
Does anyone k ow whether it fixes the notorious WOL issue? The one that makes you actually have to manually wake your machine when previously it worked flawlessly though ATV/woll etc. before it was unusable for long time in ML. Personally the most disturbing bug. :/

Edit: yes, Wake on Wan. Sorry.

Edit 2: this annoys me really. How can bugs be reintroduced? Or how can adding something brake something previously existing? I would expect the bugged code to be red flagged or blocked for use. And I would assume that code is today basically based on objects, classes and their interfaces / methods. Last time I coded was quite a while ago. But a professional company, many years later...? Ibdont get it.

Edit e: "I have to make a mental note to stop taking mental notes." DAdams
Edited by WonkoTheSane - 8/26/13 at 12:54pm
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, my opinion, man.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, my opinion, man.
post #23 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Not as much with Mavericks ~2 months away.

be on the watch for a new Safari, faster and encorporating some Mavericks style stuff in Mountain Lion.   Developers got a Beta last week for testing against extensions

post #24 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltz View Post

I have to concede, there's probably a grain of truth in that.  lol

:) I should revise that to, anyone who uses the word "pedantic" has a sense of humor! :)

Best

post #25 of 29

Mail badly needs fixing and a lot of it. I am now getting the bug where Mail freezes and does not show typing. Then it unlocks and the text spills out in a rush. I had this two updates ago, and then it was fixed. Now it is not fixed.

Maybe instead of concentrating on Mavericks they could put more effort into making the version they've released work. As they once did.

AppleInsider = Apple-in-cider. It's a joke!

I've used macs since 1985 when I typed up my first research paper. Never used anything else never wanted to.

I've used macs since 1985 when I typed up my first research paper. Never used anything else never wanted to.
post #26 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So why is it that when you go to an authorized reseller after the launch of a new point update they're still running several point updates behind? I'm sure THAT isn't part of their agreement, but it's the case every time.

It is part of their agreement unfortunately. Apple gives the resellers special builds to run on the demo machines. They contain various demo software from third parties (most of it customized in one way or another for demo purposes) along with video demos that run as screensavers. The resellers aren't allowed to modify these installs in any way (i.e. can't put any of their own software on them, logos, update them, etc.). Apple gets cranky if you haven't placed the Macs on the display stand in the right order so lord knows what they'd do if you modified their demo software! These builds are only replaced by Apple when there is a new hardware release or major OS release. They have similar builds for the demo iPads as well.

As for the point releases, Apple supplies the factory builds to the resellers but only if they are also a Authorized service center or member of the Apple Consultants Network. These are typically used for restoring the factory OS onto repaired hardware. Unfortunately these are sometimes a point release or two behind.

post #27 of 29
I'm new to the group and am not complaining, but is there a 'snag' in the update from Apple? Just curious...thanks!
post #28 of 29

Apple is just taking it's time releasing it. They are pretty cautious these days.

post #29 of 29

So where is it?  Is Apple waiting until Sept. 10th now to release it?

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple to deliver OS X 10.8.5 with Mail, screen saver fixes as soon as today