or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's Siri now takes swipes at Google's 'half-empty' Glass

Apple's Siri now takes swipes at Google's 'half-empty' Glass - Page 3

post #81 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

You can ask Siri the conversational questions: "How tall is Barak Obama?" and "Where was he born?" and get the correct answers (including the map).

Definitely doesn't work in iOS 6.

I tried it with Michael Jordan,

Siri got his height correct but had no clue what I was talking about when I asked where he was born. What is worse, is when I asked what team Michael Jordan played on, she gave me the soccer scores between Jordan and Oman.

On the other hand Google got it right.

I tried with Magic Johnson -- it didn't get the second query right but took me to hop stop in Paris, instead. Maybe Siri doesn't like Roundball 1smile.gif

What's really weird, is that my iPhone won't work at all right now with an AT&T/Wi-Fi connection -- but my iPad works fine with no cell.

Time for a bug report I guess.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #82 of 92
Quote:

Okay, but you are not going to like it.

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2012/11/05/google-voice-search-siri-speed-test/

ROTFLMAO.
So you simply don't understand the words you're using. "Orders of magnitude" means more than one order of magnitude - so Google would have to be at least 100 times faster than Siri. Your examples (hand-picked to show off Google's advantage, apparently) shows a 2 fold difference - at most. So your own video proves that you were lying when you said Google was orders of magnitude faster.
Quote:

I don't think you'll find many people who thought Apple maps was very good when it first came out. Even Tim Cook acknowledged that it was sort of half baked. It might be fine now. I wouldn't know because I don't ever use it. It is sort of like once you have crappy service or a bad meal at a restaurant you never go back even if they put up a sign saying "Under New Management".

That's not what Cook said, at all. He said that he was sorry that some Apple customers were disappointed. That's the kind of wishy-washy answer that they teach you to use in customer service school.

Virtually every side-by-side comparison showed Apple's Maps to be comparable to Google Maps. It's just that you Google shills pretended that Google was perfect and every time you found a single error in Apple's maps, you proclaimed the end of the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I don't get why the Google fans always go on about Apple fandom when it's not Apple users going to the Google forums or posting on blogs and videos upranking each others' comments.

Exactly. It's just like Windows fans were in the 90s.

I'm convinced it's a form of narcissistic personality disorder. They can't stand that someone would make a different choice than them, so they resort to lies and belittling their 'opponents' in order to build themselves up.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #83 of 92
Quote:

Quote:

You can ask Siri the conversational questions: "How tall is Barak Obama?" and "Where was he born?" and get the correct answers (including the map).

Definitely doesn't work in iOS 6.

I tried it with Michael Jordan,

Siri got his height correct but had no clue what I was talking about when I asked where he was born. What is worse, is when I asked what team Michael Jordan played on, she gave me the soccer scores between Jordan and Oman.

On the other hand Google got it right.

So, I broke down and downloaded Google Search.

I tried the "How tall is Michael Jordan?" followed by "What team did he play on?".

It nails the first and displays search results for the second:

Then I tried the same with Siri.

It Nails the first but gives the following for the second:

It appears that ChaCha, a sports team search service is NA -- I wonder If Google uses the same service.

I went to the chacha.com site, asked the question and got:
Quote:
What team did michael jordan play on

Michael Jordan played for the the Chicago Bulls for 14 seasons and then for the Washington Wizards for two years.

Another try: Instead of going to Safari, then entering: chacha.com, I followed the highlighted link in the Siri results, and got this:

It appears that Siri isn't caching my queries correctly and/or not interfacing them correctly to ChaCha!

...Some are some, and some are not!
Edited by Dick Applebaum - 8/27/13 at 8:01am

post #84 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

So you simply don't understand the words you're using. "Orders of magnitude" means more than one order of magnitude - so Google would have to be at least 100 times faster than Siri. 

You're right I should have said only one order of magnitude not plural except in the situation where Siri had no clue at all and then it would have been infinite orders of magnitude. It is just a figure of speech anyway because no one is actually putting a stop watch on it. Google is just much faster and more accurate than Siri in almost every comparison example I could find online and every test I have personally conducted so no I did not hand pick anything. Siri may be well suited for managing the device just not so good at searching the web unless you specifically ask her to search the web and then she is just using some other company's search engine.

Edited by mstone - 8/27/13 at 8:25am

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #85 of 92
Quote:

It appears that Siri isn't caching my queries correctly and/or not interfacing them correctly to ChaCha!

It looks like Google is not using the previous query either. If it was it would display a message that it was using the previous query with a link to undo 

post #86 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

you're no doubt aware that as a rule I don't introduce Google into a discussion. I, and everyone else for that matter, do respond to invitations to comment extended by articles where Google is the subject as this one is... and there are a whole lot of'em, pretty much on a daily basis.

I have noticed that you mostly take a defensive route rather than offensive but Google and Samsung are mostly mentioned on Apple forums (and Siri) so that we can poke fun at them, similarly why Apple is mentioned on Android forums:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/general-news-discussion/302959-why-we-hate-apple.html

The mentions aren't really invitations for defensive comments. There's nothing wrong with defending your own preference but when that's all you do, you're in the wrong place. You go out of your way to promote Google in threads that mention them in passing such as:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/159189/microsoft-ceo-steve-ballmer-calls-it-quits-to-retire-within-a-year/280#post_2385114

The thread was about Ballmer and Google Docs just got a small mention and you turned it into Google Docs vs iWork.
Quote:

As you should know I'm certainly not anti-Apple and you'd expend a lot of time finding even a half-dozen instances in 7000+ posts where I've been overtly critical of Apple, fairly or otherwise.

It depends on what you think anti-Apple looks like. When you say things like:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/159165/apple-looks-to-patent-iphone-status-sharing-system-similar-to-instant-messaging-apps#post_2384215
"...applied for a patent. It hasn't yet been granted and no assurance it will."

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/159223/apple-patent-turns-the-iphone-into-an-intelligent-universal-media-smart-home-remote-control#post_2385864
"This particular patent application seems relatively innovative to me. Nice work Apple.

Of course that doesn't mean it will be granted. Even tho I don't know of any similar developments doesn't mean someone else hasn't already done much the same work."

You are showing pretty clearly that you'd prefer to see Apple fail and make sarcastic comments about their level of innovation. You use Windows and Android so it doesn't seem like there's any interest at all in Apple besides finding opportunities to knock Apple down to promote Google instead.
Quote:

A forum is supposed to be a venue for exchange of ideas and views on a posted subject is it not, so surely you aren't suggesting that only one point of view represents the whole truth and only one side of an issue makes a discussion.

You know what the intent of the forum is. A lot of the remarks that are made by people are quite often backed up by saying they are just offering a viewpoint from the other side but the way it comes across is like the old "I'm not touching you" routine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvZgOo0JYwc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HVZ19mkbdo#t=41
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf0DkIETx00

The annoyance comes from the repetition. People construct remarks to annoy people and then say they are just offering unbiased opinions and aren't doing anything wrong. As I say, there's nothing wrong with having an occasional critique. However, when all someone does is criticise Apple and defend their competitors then there's a different agenda. I don't know what the expected outcome is tbh, it's not as if Apple fans are going to somehow 'see the light' and adopt something else. We did that already and that's why we're here.

When Apple puts a comment like "I think that glass is half empty" into Siri, this is what Apple fans expect from Apple and love them for. If you aren't comfortable with them doing things like this then of course you're not their intended audience.
post #87 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

It depends on what you think anti-Apple looks like. When you say things like:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/159165/apple-looks-to-patent-iphone-status-sharing-system-similar-to-instant-messaging-apps#post_2384215
"...applied for a patent. It hasn't yet been granted and no assurance it will."

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/159223/apple-patent-turns-the-iphone-into-an-intelligent-universal-media-smart-home-remote-control#post_2385864
"This particular patent application seems relatively innovative to me. Nice work Apple.

Of course that doesn't mean it will be granted. Even tho I don't know of any similar developments doesn't mean someone else hasn't already done much the same work."

You are showing pretty clearly that you'd prefer to see Apple fail and make sarcastic comments about their level of innovation..

I've no idea why anyone would read that comment as sarcastic. 1hmm.gif Even if yoy erroneously thought is was meant as an insult to Apple my next post should have made it crystal clear that I was giving Apple cred for what I feel is an inventive patent and not in the least being sarcastic. I'm surprised you overlooked it.
http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/159223/apple-looking-to-turn-the-iphone-into-an-intelligent-universal-media-smart-home-remote-control#post_2385872
"Tho I'm no fan of software patents this one actually looks unique"

The second half of the comment should be seen as helpful and constructive. I believe many readers assume a patent application is akin to a patent. Reminding/noting that a patent application still has hoops to jump thru and may not be approved (and most likely will not be exactly as originally filed) is hardly anti-Apple. It's a fact of the patent process.
Edited by Gatorguy - 8/27/13 at 2:03pm
melior diabolus quem scies
post #88 of 92
Quote:

You're right I should have said only one order of magnitude

But since you still haven't shown any evidence that it's 10 times slower (your own link shows maybe 30-50% slower AT MOST), you'd still be wrong.
Quote:

not plural except in the situation where Siri had no clue at all and then it would have been infinite orders of magnitude.

Except that Google sometimes misses the answer, too.

Furthermore, if Google can find it, then Siri can, too, since you can tell Siri to search Google. So your example is just as lame as everything else you post.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #89 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Furthermore, if Google can find it, then Siri can, too, since you can tell Siri to search Google. 

If Siri displays the incorrect information such as when she returned the standings for the NY Rangers when asked for something entirely different, there is no opportunity to ask her to search the web without just starting a brand new query with modified phrasing hoping she will do better the next time. There should be no reason to ask Siri to search the web unless her first attempt was a failure.

post #90 of 92
Quote:

What's really weird, is that my iPhone won't work at all right now with an AT&T/Wi-Fi connection -- but my iPad works fine with no cell.

Time for a bug report I guess.

Was it v.5 of the beta? I noticed twitter reports a couple days back that some number of iOS7 beta users suddenly had their iPhones deactivated. Some were guessing that Apple is catching up to those non-developers who got into the beta program "by other means". Dunno if that's where your problem lies or not.

EDIT: Could just be an issue with v5. Reports say updating to v6 kept it from deactivating
Edited by Gatorguy - 8/30/13 at 8:52am
post #91 of 92
Quote:

I noticed twitter reports a couple days back that some number of iOS7 beta users suddenly had their iPhones deactivated. Some were guessing that Apple is catching up to those non-developers who got into the beta program "by other means". Dunno if that's where your problem lies or not.

<threatens mode="massive">

If they deactivate my iPhone, I'll personally bug report on them.

</threatens>

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

post #92 of 92
Quote:

If Siri displays the incorrect information such as when she returned the standings for the NY Rangers when asked for something entirely different, there is no opportunity to ask her to search the web without just starting a brand new query with modified phrasing hoping she will do better the next time. There should be no reason to ask Siri to search the web unless her first attempt was a failure.

"Siri, please use a proper search engine to solve my query"

"Sorry, I cannot do that Dave. You shouldn't relapse into Google tools."

"But... they work."

"Whether or not they work is not the point, Dave. It's a matter of honor."

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's Siri now takes swipes at Google's 'half-empty' Glass