or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › New video compares supposed iPhone 5S, iPhone 5C shells against iPhone 5
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New video compares supposed iPhone 5S, iPhone 5C shells against iPhone 5

post #1 of 78
Thread Starter 
In a video that hit the Web on Monday, a purported gold colored "iPhone 5S" and a blue "iPhone 5C" were stacked against the current iPhone 5, offering a detailed look at how the three compare from a variety of different angles.

iPhone Video


While images of Apple's supposed next-generation iPhone casing have been seen before, Monday's video (via AppAdvice) offers a better perspective of the "champagne gold" chassis.

Aside from the obvious change in color, it appears that the gold hued iPhone 5S has been fitted with white antenna window inserts that feature a cutout for the rumored dual-LED flash assembly. It is unknown if Apple is plans to pair the white glass with the anodized gold iPhone 5S frame, but the two shades are somewhat compatible.



Also seen in the video is a blue version of the so-called "iPhone 5C," Apple's rumored low-cost iPhone that is supposedly set to debut alongside the 5S in September. As can be expected, the 5C's plastic composite frame is a striking departure from the aluminum iPhones.

The supposed iPhone 5C's dimensions are nearly identical to the iPhone 5 and 5S, but with softer, more rounded features compared to the sharp chamfered edges of its metal counterparts.

Apple is widely rumored to be planning a Sept. 10 announcement for both the next-generation iPhone 5S and the iPhone 5C.
post #2 of 78
Beautiful!
post #3 of 78
Ugly hands ... dirty nails ... I hope my future 5S is not one of those!

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Tim Cook ~ The Wall Street Journal - February 7, 2014

Inside Google! 

Reply

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Tim Cook ~ The Wall Street Journal - February 7, 2014

Inside Google! 

Reply
post #4 of 78

Hm, I really just hope that the "champagne" model is indeed an additional choice and not a replacement for white/silver. It is not as bad as the first "gold" rumors made it sound, but I would prefer to stick with less bling.

post #5 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

Hm, I really just hope that the "champagne" model is indeed an additional choice and not a replacement for white/silver. It is not as bad as the first "gold" rumors made it sound, but I would prefer to stick with less bling.
I'm sure you won't be forced to buy it. I doubt Apple would be stupid enough to replace the white/sliver model with champagne. It will be another color option (like the rumored gunmetal color).
post #6 of 78

The SIM tray at the 1.30 mark looks huge.  Odd.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #7 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post


I'm sure you won't be forced to buy it. I doubt Apple would be stupid enough to replace the white/sliver model with champagne. It will be another color option (like the rumored gunmetal color).

Gunmetal will be perfect.

 

Finally an iPhone that matches my MBP!

post #8 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkalu View Post

Beautiful!

 

Agreed, and I think that blue 5C will look good with the black glass front panel

post #9 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Gunmetal will be perfect.

 

Finally an iPhone that matches my MBP!

 

That's why I'd like to see black glass on the silver chassis -- that's the Mac color scheme.

post #10 of 78

Am I the only one who actually prefers the look of the white 5C over either of the aluminum bodies?

 

I wouldn't buy the 5C in any of those horrid muted colors we've seen in supposed leaks, but I really like the white. I like it enough that if it isn't crippled too badly I'd rather have that than the 5S.

post #11 of 78
It seems to me Apple is really trying to differentiate these two phone lines. 5S as the premium/luxury phone, 5C as the more affordable, fun, colorful phone. I'll be curious to see how Apple prices the 5C so it's not too expensive but also doesn't cannibalize the 5S too much.
post #12 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by v5v View Post

Am I the only one who actually prefers the look of the white 5C over either of the aluminum bodies?

I wouldn't buy the 5C in any of those horrid muted colors we've seen in supposed leaks, but I really like the white. I like it enough that if it isn't crippled too badly I'd rather have that than the 5S.
What do you mean by crippled?
post #13 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disturbia View Post

Ugly hands ... dirty nails ... I hope my future 5S is not one of those!

Go work in a factory for living for a while and wait until we comment on your hands.
Ever heard if the phrase "Don't bite the hands that feed you!"?
Why do you think you can afford a cheap iPhone? Because there are "dirty, ugly hands" working and assembling them for you. Show some humility and gratitude.
post #14 of 78
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
What do you mean by crippled?

 

Whining that it's last year's phone being sold as new.

 

Think of it instead as an iPod touch with a phone in it.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #15 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

Hm, I really just hope that the "champagne" model is indeed an additional choice and not a replacement for white/silver. It is not as bad as the first "gold" rumors made it sound, but I would prefer to stick with less bling.

If gold is bling or tasteful is not a matter of color but of context. If you have a simple navy blue leather phone case case and wear a blue business suit with a brass-color belt buckle, and gold-rim eye glasses, a gold colored phone blends in.
If you sport a grin "adorned" with a gold tooth with a diamond while wearing tacky but expensive sportswear along with a Mercedes star dangling around your neck on a fat gold chain, and combine that with a golden iPhone it shows that you have way more (illegitimate ?) money than you have taste.

It's not the color, but the who and how of the context.
post #16 of 78
If they do go with 'brightly coloured, fun' cases then from a distance people will begin to think they are seeing more and more Lumia devices out in the wild - the same way that cheap Android phones are mistaken for 4/4s every day.

The fun/colourful approach could backfire in a mindspace already occupied by Nokia.
post #17 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

Hm, I really just hope that the "champagne" model is indeed an additional choice and not a replacement for white/silver. It is not as bad as the first "gold" rumors made it sound, but I would prefer to stick with less bling.

There's a lesson here - if you choose to learn it. Stop criticizing things from third had rumors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkalu View Post

Beautiful!

It's always hard to tell from a picture, but I think the knee-jerk reaction that it will be ugly is unfounded. Given Apple's history, I'd be shocked if they release an ugly phone.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #18 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

IAs can be expected, the 5C's plastic composite frame is a striking departure from the aluminum iPhones.

It's not a striking departure from the aluminum iPhones, it's in line and a continuation of the iPhone 3G and 3GS.
Still any sanity and sense of "historical context" left in AI's comments, or are we completely sinking to the level of the "anal-ists" who try to manipulate AAPL's price through skewed reporting?
post #19 of 78

Guess we'll find out soon enough if these are fake. The mania surrounding an expected cyclical product update is a little irritating.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #20 of 78
I'm sure this has been said on one of the many related threads but thank god they're doubling down on secrecy.
post #21 of 78

No, don't do it Apple! Don't release that horrible blue plastic thing, it's not too late!

 

The other models are gorgeous as usual. The new gold color is very tasteful.

post #22 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disturbia View Post

Ugly hands ... dirty nails ... I hope my future 5S is not one of those!

That is why there is good money to be made by hand models, male and female. Name a body or body type or body part that is focus of advertising and you will find people getting paid to show their particular "perfection" off. 

post #23 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post


I'm sure you won't be forced to buy it. I doubt Apple would be stupid enough to replace the white/sliver model with champagne. It will be another color option (like the rumored gunmetal color).

 

I hope you are right. My concern was mainly that the white/silver and white/champagne models are not all that different, and considering (at least many sources reported that) that the black iPhone 5 clearly outsold the white one, there might be no need for two white models... Of course, I hope I'm wrong.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post
There's a lesson here - if you choose to learn it. Stop criticizing things from third had rumors.

 

Well, I did not criticize it anywhere... I just considered the first mock-ups hitting the web pretty gross.

post #24 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Whining that it's last year's phone being sold as new.

Think of it instead as an iPod touch with a phone in it.
Still not sure how that makes it crippled. 1hmm.gif
post #25 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

I hope you are right. My concern was mainly that the white/silver and white/champagne models are not all that different, and considering (at least many sources reported that) that the black iPhone 5 clearly outsold the white one, there might be no need for two white models... Of course, I hope I'm wrong.


Well, I did not criticize it anywhere... I just considered the first mock-ups hitting the web pretty gross.

Where did you hear that the black model outsold the white one? Also take a better look at the leaked photos...the champagne colored phone clearly looks different than the white/sliver one.
post #26 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb123 View Post

If they do go with 'brightly coloured, fun' cases then from a distance people will begin to think they are seeing more and more Lumia devices out in the wild - the same way that cheap Android phones are mistaken for 4/4s every day.

The fun/colourful approach could backfire in a mindspace already occupied by Nokia.
What? Apple has been doing fun/colorful all the way back to the first iMac. This isn't copying Nokia.
post #27 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

What do you mean by crippled?

 

I didn't mean it in a derogatory way. I expect that Apple will reasonably exclude certain features from the 5C to differentiate the flagship from the budget model, some because of technical limitations, some to reduce cost, and some for marketing reasons. Maybe what I should have written is that I would prefer a white 5C barring the 5S offering some really compelling feature that's not available on the 5C.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Whining that it's last year's phone being sold as new.

 

Why you gotta be like that? I meant no such thing. I wasn't denigrating the C, I was complimenting it. I really like the way it looks. In white. If that's even what it really looks like. If there even really is a C. 1smile.gif

post #28 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

It's always hard to tell from a picture, but I think the knee-jerk reaction that it will be ugly is unfounded. Given Apple's history, I'd be shocked if they release an ugly phone.
It's all about page hits. And mocking up an ugly, garish bling gold iPhone gets more hits, even though those doing the mock ups should know better.

And these plastic colored phones that everyone seems to be vomiting over, I bet they sell like hotcakes, especially to young people who like bright, fun colors. It's clear Apple is making sure these are two distinct portfolio of phones, serving distinct markets.
post #29 of 78
The silver Apple logo on the champagne iPhone looks off. It won't ship with a silver Apple logo. It makes no sense.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #30 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by v5v View Post

I didn't mean it in a derogatory way. I expect that Apple will reasonably exclude certain features from the 5C to differentiate the flagship from the budget model, some because of technical limitations, some to reduce cost, and some for marketing reasons. Maybe what I should have written is that I would prefer a white 5C barring the 5S offering some really compelling feature that's not available on the 5C.
Oh for sure. My guess is the 5C will probably be missing the fingerprint tech and the camera probably won't be as good as the 5S. I still think it will have everything the 4S/5 does. Brand new features and the premium design will be the upsell to the 5S, not leaving things like Siri off the 5C (as Gene Munster speculated).
post #31 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfa View Post


If gold is bling or tasteful is not a matter of color but of context. If you have a simple navy blue leather phone case case and wear a blue business suit with a brass-color belt buckle, and gold-rim eye glasses, a gold colored phone blends in.
If you sport a grin "adorned" with a gold tooth with a diamond while wearing tacky but expensive sportswear along with a Mercedes star dangling around your neck on a fat gold chain, and combine that with a golden iPhone it shows that you have way more (illegitimate ?) money than you have taste.

It's not the color, but the who and how of the context.

I really can't figure out why every reference to gaudy gold that I've read on this site has alluded to stereotypical "others". The only people wearing lots of gold are not "others". Some are regular people, who, you know, like gold. Your comment makes you seem really out-of-touch.

For your sake, I hope you're right.
Reply
For your sake, I hope you're right.
Reply
post #32 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post


I'm sure you won't be forced to buy it. I doubt Apple would be stupid enough to replace the white/sliver model with champagne. It will be another color option (like the rumored gunmetal color).

 

Gunmetal, that would be really nice! : )

post #33 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by v5v View Post

Am I the only one who actually prefers the look of the white 5C over either of the aluminum bodies?

Probably not the only one, but I prefer the 5S by far!
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #34 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Gunmetal will be perfect.

 

Finally an iPhone that matches my MBP!

 

The only rumour I heard is "graphite" (grey) not gunmetal.  

 

Even if they made a gunmetal one, they wouldn't be foolish enough to call it that either.  It's a name that doesn't play well outside of the USA.  You don't want the word "gun" associated with your product at all.  

 

Edit: unless you are actually selling guns I guess. 

post #35 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The silver Apple logo on the champagne iPhone looks off. It won't ship with a silver Apple logo. It makes no sense.

Why wouldn't that make sense, especially if it has a white front panel? Would you expect a black logo, or a white one? I think the high end fives are getting the silver logos to complement the chamfered edges. Makes sense to me.

For your sake, I hope you're right.
Reply
For your sake, I hope you're right.
Reply
post #36 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The silver Apple logo on the champagne iPhone looks off. It won't ship with a silver Apple logo. It makes no sense.
My guess is we're not seeing a completely finished device. Different parts in different stages of the process are leaking and being thrown together to give a feel for what a fully assembled phone would look like. The leak below from last week showed a logo that looked black.

gold_iphone2.jpg
post #37 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

.. It's always hard to tell from a picture, but I think the knee-jerk reaction that it will be ugly is unfounded. Given Apple's history, I'd be shocked if they release an ugly phone.

 

I would too ... but on the other hand they are releasing an OS called "Mavericks" with a giant fake green-blue surfer wave as the backdrop, so "classy" has apparently already left the building. 1smile.gif

post #38 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

 

Gunmetal, that would be really nice! : )

I have to look at more photos, but I haven't been able to detect the difference between the gunmetal and the black/slate. 

For your sake, I hope you're right.
Reply
For your sake, I hope you're right.
Reply
post #39 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carthusia View Post

Why wouldn't that make sense, especially if it has a white front panel? Would you expect a black logo, or a white one? I think the high end fives are getting the silver logos to complement the chamfered edges. Makes sense to me.
I figured it would be the same color as the back, i.e. champagne/gold.
post #40 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post


What? Apple has been doing fun/colorful all the way back to the first iMac. This isn't copying Nokia.

 

Sorry, I thought every iPhone to date has been either white or black. I was considering mindspace and visibility on the street, not ancient CRT iMacs sat on desks and iPod Nanos tucked away in coat pockets. Apple will have to do a heck of a lot of advertising to drag the fun/colourful smartphone perception away from Nokia - especially at the lower end of the pre-pay (off contract) market, which I doubt the slightly lower cost iPhone will reach.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • New video compares supposed iPhone 5S, iPhone 5C shells against iPhone 5
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › New video compares supposed iPhone 5S, iPhone 5C shells against iPhone 5