or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › New video shows purported gold 'iPhone 5S' shell in brutal scratch test

New video shows purported gold 'iPhone 5S' shell in brutal scratch test

post #1 of 48
A video posted to the Web on Tuesday demonstrates the durability of Apple's alleged champagne colored "iPhone 5S" shell, which shrugs off light coin scrapes, but unsurprisingly reveals nicks and scratches after being assaulted with a pocket knife.

Gold Scratch Test

While a bit extreme, the video from Jailbreak Nation (via CNET) is in the same vein as a recent durability test that illustrated the scratch resistance of a purported low-cost "iPhone 5C" plastic shell. The supposed iPhone 5S aluminum casing, however, undergoes a substantially more rigorous assessment.

It should be noted that the authenticity of the supposed gold iPhone 5S frame cannot be confirmed by AppleInsider, and the following is offered for purposes of discussion only.

Tuesday's video compares a gold, or "champagne," colored version of an alleged iPhone 5S shell with a black version of the current generation iPhone 5. The purported part looks to be the same component pictured in images that surfaced last week.

Some owners of the latest iPhone have seen small nicks and scuffs appear on the chassis, with the occurrence more evident on black models as scraping away the anodized top layer exposes the silver aluminum beneath.

In the test, a quarter is first used to mar the bottom right corner of the black and gold casings. Both fare well and, after being wiped down with a paper towel, show minimal scuffing. Next, the coin is taken to the chassis' sharp chamfered edges. The gold model appears to show less damage in this test, possibly because the shine produced from polishing process hides any bare aluminum.

Finally, the bottom left corner of both versions are subjected to stabbing and scratching with a pocketknife. Neither frame withstood the rough treatment, an unsurprising outcome.

While the knifing is rather extreme, the coin tests suggest Apple is using the same method of anodization to color the iPhone's aluminum chassis, a process seen in the iPhone 5, iPad mini and various iPod models.

Apple received a fair share of flak last year when some customers complained of nicks and scratches on their brand new handsets. Dubbed "scuffgate," the minor controversy caused Apple to clamp down on partner supplier Foxconn, which in turn caused a worker strike over demanding quality control measures.

Apple is expected to announce a next-generation iPhone, as well as a lower-cost model, at a media event on Sept. 10.
post #2 of 48
What consumer product of ANY kind can resist this kind of abuse?

Why isn't there an uproar because Porsche sunglasses and Rolex watches scratch if you STAB THEM WITH A HUNTING KNIFE?

Lol what is the solution? Make every product out of DIAMONDS from now on?

Or make a 12 pound Kevlar iPhone?

That's some serious iAssault on that iPhone dude.
post #3 of 48
What remotely useful info is this? Is Apple somehow held to some higher standard in that they should have perfected invulnerable aluminum that is impervious to scratches with a hunting knife and dents within 175 feet of a nuclear explosion?

Why is this even reported?
post #4 of 48

I'll be testing it out with my carborundum tipped dental drill and if there's the slightest mark it's off to consumer affairs and I'll be expecting a replacement, plus a new iPad for the inconvenience.

post #5 of 48

What kind of nonsense is that? Seriously, it would be interesting how an iPhone fares when dropped on concrete, so DROP it on concrete and don't stab it with a knife! However, it seems an iPhone will probably protect you when someone stabs you, but you have your iPhone in the pocket of your shirt.

post #6 of 48
This is why I'm waiting for the iPhone 6, which will be made out of an alloy of adamantium and mithril according to my top secret informant at Apple.
post #7 of 48

Guess what do you do if you get hold of a publically not admitted, impossible to get iphone 5S in advance ? You dont admire the beauty, you dont celebrate the aesthetics, you dont enjoy or gloat over the possession. Instead you attach it with sheer brutality til it scratches and then you proudly declare it to the world.

This is akin to blowing up Taj Mahal and telling us marble cant handle explosions......What appleinsider can do here is to at least point out and protest against such mindless videos instead of just reporting like a robot automaton.

post #8 of 48
So what I learned from this stupid scratch test is: if you have a possibly fake iPhone 5S case that you obtained from unverifiable and undisclosed sources, don't scratch it with a knife. I'm sure that's something all of us will run into someday. /s

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #9 of 48

Liquidmetal iPhone! not

post #10 of 48
It's too bad no one has developed some sort of protection for phone scratches. Perhaps something like a "case."
post #11 of 48
I want a polished Liquidmetal enclosure on my iPhone "6" next year.
And near-zero bezel width on the long edges.
And 1.6mm less thickness: 6.0mm.
And a quad-core 64-bit A8 SoC.
And better battery life.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #12 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

I want a polished Liquidmetal enclosure on my iPhone "6" next year.
And near-zero bezel width on the long edges.
And 1.6mm less thickness: 6.0mm.
And a quad-core 64-bit A8 SoC.
And better battery life.

all in good time... it's on the roadmap, but certainly not next year ;)

post #13 of 48
I'm shocked, shocked!
post #14 of 48
Gold iPhone 5S with silver Apple logo? Doesn't make sense. The real thing has to ship with a gold logo.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #15 of 48
Fake. The 'iPhone' font is wrong, it's the light variant, just compare it to the other two shells.

Also, agree with the other posters, what consumer device doesn't scratch when stabbed with a pocket knife? People need to learn to take care of their things and take responsibility for damage that they cause to their own products.
post #16 of 48
"And a quad-core 64-bit A8 SoC."

why not an octo-core ? it's better.
post #17 of 48
When Rambo was using the knife, it wasn't scratches - it was black paint rub from the finish of the knife, he should have used a regular blade. Who has a black knife??
post #18 of 48
What, are they handing these champaign colored chasses away free at the corner drug store. Everyone and their grandma seems to have one.
post #19 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

Why isn't there an uproar because Porsche sunglasses and Rolex watches scratch if you STAB THEM WITH A HUNTING KNIFE?

I can attest to how well iPhones are made. My iPhone has never had a case. It gets thrown on the car's center storage bin, in my pockets and in beach bags. I love the looks of it as designed, so was damned if I'd worry about scratches and buy a case. I am looking at it now carefully ... there isn't a mark on it! It's a 4s (my wife has the 5, I get her cast offs) so it has had a lot of use. I cannot fathom hiding an iPhone in a butt ugly case. I'm sure most people bought into the anti Apple FUD from Scamsung et al and assume they scratch easily. They don't!
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #20 of 48
...otterbox. case solved.

anyone barkbacking their $700 phone in their pocket deserves whatever scratches it gets. this coming from a guy typing on a cracked screen iphone. hmmm. i should take my phone back to able for failing a 5 foot drop and skid "test" on concrete and get a refund.

actually, for the fall it took i expected a completely shattered screen.

...we all love to hold our iphones caseless. but going bareback with it in your pocket is sure to get a scratch or two.
post #21 of 48

I learned that steel is harder than aluminium in Grade 8 science class.  

post #22 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunzilla View Post

…. Who has a black knife??

The same kind of self-important tard that posts stupid videos on the Internet, that's who. 

post #23 of 48
OMG shut up. He goes on forEVER before getting to it.
post #24 of 48

Obviously not 14 karats like I had hoped. for. Not even 12 karats.

Where's the new Apple TV?

Where's the new Apple TV?
post #25 of 48
i wonder if i take a coin to the paint job on a mercedes, BMW, Rolls-Royce amongst others, should i expect the paint job to withstand that treatment?... should I expect that if you "key" those cars the paint job will not be wrecked?...

TL;DR... Video stupid, "stuff scratches"... but because Andriod was not test edit it is perfect... /sarcasm
post #26 of 48
Stupid. Maybe it should in a person's shirt pocket and then shoot that person with an M4 to test it as body armor.

2010 15" MBP, iPhone 5 64GB, New iPad 64GB LTE, (2) ATV 2nd Gen

2010 15" MBP, iPhone 5 64GB, New iPad 64GB LTE, (2) ATV 2nd Gen

post #27 of 48

Smartphones don't tend to react well to knives. 

post #28 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Obviously not 14 karats like I had hoped. for. Not even 12 karats.

A real, pure gold phone would be soft as butter and easily scratched all to hell by a simple house key or a coin. 

post #29 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

What remotely useful info is this? Is Apple somehow held to some higher standard in that they should have perfected invulnerable aluminum that is impervious to scratches with a hunting knife and dents within 175 feet of a nuclear explosion?

Why is this even reported?

Every audio/video professional is regularly in situations where their phones are stabbed with large hunting knives (it's dangerous out there in the real-world) and they need to hold up under that strain. Those people won't be upgrading from their scratch-proof iPhone 4s until this issue is resolved. The 55000+ employees at Apple have lost their way with this... only Steve understood. It should also be 6-core with 4GB of RAM minimum, have a larger screen (matte) and of course, widgets and be priced below cost.

I may get one of these but sadly it means having to leave my cutlery at home. For years, I've carried a fork and knife beside my phone in my pocket with no problems. Now I must choose (or use the another pocket, which is not an easy option!). Why Apple, why? 1hmm.gif

I'd say these tests have some value because they show what happens under seriously damaging conditions. It held up pretty well under the coin test. I'd say the take-away from it is that unless you undergo a life-threating schizophrenic knife assault wherein the damage sustained to the phone you have is one of your lesser concerns, your iPhone will probably survive everyday wear and tear quite well. It's info that is already fairly well known by now so it's worth about as much as I paid to read this article.
post #30 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Gold iPhone 5S with silver Apple logo? Doesn't make sense. The real thing has to ship with a gold logo.

The yellow dye they used didn't adhere to the Apple logo.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #31 of 48
I second and third that. iPhones are beautiful durable objects and I for one will keep buying them even if they can't survive an assault by a Navy SEAL.
post #32 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotScott View Post

OMG shut up. He goes on forEVER before getting to it.

It's popular to create "abuse" videos to promote gadgets sites because they are sure to get hits.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #33 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

The real problem is that the guy doesn't know what he's doing.

The only real way to test the durability of champagne is with silicon implants, deep red lipstick, and a white laced thong.

All while wearing the proper protection of course.
post #34 of 48
Well there goes my theory that the new iPhone 5S might come as standard with scratch resistant titanium nitride and PVD/CLD coatings.
post #35 of 48

What a moron in the video. these people act like they have some sort of clue. First aluminum when it naturally oxidize form a layer over the surface called aluminum oxide, which is very hard and will protect the surface from everyday wear and tear so rubbing a quarter against should not scratch the aluminum, which you all saw in fact what you saw was the copper from the middle of the quarter rubbing off of on the aluminum oxide layer why, copper is very soft. The only way to scratch the aluminum is to actually use something harder like the harden knife and actually scratch through the Aluminum Oxide layer.

The issue Apple had was that something in the Foxconn process was obviously scratch the case and must have been some sort of steel fixture they were using.

post #36 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Have you ever seen an iPhone's logo? It's of a chromey material that changes color based on the reflection of the light in the room. It'll go from silver to black, depending on the angle.

Edited by Tallest Skil - 8/28/13 at 9:48am

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #37 of 48
"Do not scratch with pocket knife" will have to be added to all of Apple's warning docs to avoid lawsuits.
post #38 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by renatouno View Post
.... reporting like a robot automaton.

unnecessarily excessively and superfluously redundant.  ;)

post #39 of 48

I wanna see -----> New video shows a reporter from Jailbreak Nation (via CNET) smacking his head against the concrete wall in brutal test

post #40 of 48
I suspect this is all part of an OtterBox grand conspiracy.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › New video shows purported gold 'iPhone 5S' shell in brutal scratch test