or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Samsung confirms debut of Galaxy Gear smart watch at Sept. 4 event

Samsung confirms debut of Galaxy Gear smart watch at Sept. 4 event

post #1 of 63
Next week at a media event in Germany, Samsung has confirmed it will unveil a new wearable device dubbed the Galaxy Gear, representing the company's latest stab at a smart watch.

Samsung Watch Patent
Samsung patent for a wrist watch computing device. | Source: Korean Intellectual Property Office.

Ahead of the Sept. 4 event in Berlin, Samsung revealed to The Korea Times this week that its forthcoming Galaxy Gear will be a smart watch with a non-flexible display. Lee Young-hee, executive vice president of Samsung's mobile business, referred to the accessory as a "concept device," suggesting it may not be ready for the mass market."

"The new device will enhance and enrich the current smart mobile experience in many ways," Lee said. "It will lead a new trend in smart mobile communications. We are confident that the Gear will add meaningful momentum to the mobile industry."

The Samsung executive also revealed that the Galaxy Note 3, the latest in a line of super-sized smartphones, will make its international debut next week. The festivities are part of the IFA consumer electronics show in Berlin.

The comments from Lee confirm an earlier rumor that pegged Samsung's "Unpacked Episode 2" event to unveil the new Galaxy Gear wearable accessory. The Korean electronics maker also applied for a U.S. trademark for the product name "Galaxy Gear" earlier this month.

The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office filing described the Galaxy Gear as encompassing "wearable electronic devices in the form of a wristwatch, wrist band or bangle capable of providing access to the Internet and for sending and receiving phone calls, electronic mails and messages."

A separate report from AmongTech cited an inside source as saying the device will carry a 2.5-inch OLED touchscreen display, 4-megapixel camera, on-board speakers and a 1.5GHz dual-core processor. Battery life is said to be around 10 hours, while connectivity is handled by Bluetooth 4.0 LE. The publication goes on to claim that the watch will be offered in both a 6GB and 8GB configuration.

Apple has also filed its own patent application for a wrist watch-like device and is currently seeking trademark rights for the "iWatch" name in a number of countries. The company is rumored to be working on its own wearable gear that would focus on providing biometrics, fitness and health data to the user.
post #2 of 63

Oh no you di'nt! 

The cheap plastic they will use will probably give you wrist burns.

Where's the new Apple TV?

post #3 of 63
Requires new, separate Samsung App Store account. LOL

Windows survivor - after a long, epic and painful struggle. Very long AAPL

post #4 of 63

"Oh geez, man, Apple's doing something on the 10th!"

"Quick! Announce OUR watch on the 4th!"

"But we don't even know if they're…"

"DO IT!"

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #5 of 63

Wonder what it will feel like to wear Washing Machine company's watch lol.gif

post #6 of 63

Next year's Galaxy Gear 2.0 will sport a 7" inch screen complete with a taser.

post #7 of 63
Originally Posted by helicopterben View Post

Agitating.

post #8 of 63
Quote:

Ss long as it has a "fluff" setting.....

post #9 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"DO IT!"

Well... if and when Apple does release a wrist computer, you know what will happen next...

APPLE IS COPYING SAMSUNG!!

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #10 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Next year's Galaxy Gear 2.0 will sport a 7" inch screen complete with a taser.

Only a 7" screen? It's going to need at least a 10" screen to be taking seriously. /s

post #11 of 63
When bring the press in for a 'major announcement', you have lost the right to position the product as a 'concept device'.

It will stand or fail based on what they release on 9/4. Samsung does not get a pass here

post #12 of 63

Reminds me of Ballmer holding up the Slate PC ahead of an Apple event.

Whatever Samsung shows it will probably not be turned on or functioning.

Let's watch the video with simulated screen shots animated in FCP X.samsung galaxy gear smartwatch 3 Two of the Smartest and Most Technologized Watches as seen on CoolWeirdo.com

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #13 of 63

Allow me to translate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post
Lee Young-hee, executive vice president of Samsung's mobile business, referred to the accessory as a "concept device," suggesting it may not be ready for the mass market."

Call it a concept device and then copy Apple after Sept. 10 (or whenever they reveal their creation). That way they can claim that their first offering was only a concept and that their new copy of Apple, is not a copy because it was already in the works.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"It will lead a new trend in smart mobile communications. We are confident that the Gear will add meaningful momentum to the mobile industry."

It will lead a trend down a dead end, until they change direction to follow Apple's path.

post #14 of 63
It will be announced on the 4th but won't ship until first quarter of next after Apple announces their iWatch. This will allow Samsung to revise and replicate Apple's product.
post #15 of 63
They will be able to copy the look of Apple's iWatch but not the tech and UX.
Samsung is thinking "computer on wrist"
Apple is thinking "sensors on wrist"
It's all about the sensors.
post #16 of 63
No wonder he said its a concept device !
Let me guess what they gonna come up with.. They are going to get there stupid Youming flexible display on a non flexible plastic frame.
post #17 of 63
So lemme get this straight.

If you copy someone's idea but you get it to market first, you are no longer copying.

You are innovating?
post #18 of 63
Hahahahahahahahahahaha.

Apple "iWatch" deception campaign successful.
post #19 of 63
Sammy's "concept device" means throw some junk together and wait for Apple to make us have a "crisis in design" and then steal it stating "Apple can't patent squares with a wristband." Fandroids will lap that up.
post #20 of 63

You know by virtue of calling the device a concept device people would be skeptical to buy it.

Its like you have a concept car, and then a few years down the real thing comes out. Sammy's poor with announcing stuff :D

Do they even Look before they Leap ?

post #21 of 63
Will people buy them though? Certainly more than Google Glass, but saying Samsung will get more watch buyers than Google will ever get with that headset isn't saying much.

Even if Apple came out with one I'm going to flat out say I'd never buy one.
post #22 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

Requires new, separate Samsung App Store account. LOL

Do they have a legit store? I thought it was more of a malware/trojan/virus/spyware/stolen content swap meet. I guess I just missed it among all the other stuff they copied. /s

post #23 of 63
Originally Posted by nikilok View Post
You know by virtue of calling the device a concept device people would be skeptical to buy it. Do they even Look before they Leap ?

People (laymen) couldn't care less about it. But, by virtue of calling it a 'concept device', Samsung gets to write off this horrific failure when it does occur. It's the smartest thing they've done in years. Smarter would have been not making it at all, but one step at a time.

"This thing sucks!"
"Well, it was just a concept. Buyer beware."

post #24 of 63
Quote:

People (laymen) couldn't care less about it. But, by virtue of calling it a 'concept device', Samsung gets to write off this horrific failure when it does occur. It's the smartest thing they've done in years. Smarter would have been not making it at all, but one step at a time.

"This thing sucks!"
"Well, it was just a concept. Buyer beware."

So i am guessing they are just hurrying this watch in to establish the fact that by next year when Apple comes out with the iWatch, they'll call it there 2nd iteration and have more watches released :)

post #25 of 63
Originally Posted by nikilok View Post

So i am guessing they are just hurrying this watch in to establish the fact that by next year when Apple comes out with the iWatch, they'll call it there 2nd iteration and have more watches released :)

Could be.

It'll be funny in a decade or two when the industry runs out of the few elements they need to keep themselves going. Then all these pathetic, non-products will be publicly scorned and the companies so wasteful as to create them hated.

post #26 of 63
Samsung unveiling Galaxy Gear? Thanks! On the other hand...
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
post #27 of 63
Quote:

I was rather hoping for an ice and water dispenser (I guess that would require a water supply or a NASA built condenser to suck moisture out of the air, or a long hose).

post #28 of 63
More interestingly what software would there watch run on ? I am guessing Tizen ?
post #29 of 63

It looks like Samsung continues to stalk Apple's patent applications.

I've got no interest in having Samsung's cheap junk around my wrist.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #30 of 63
I hope there concept device doesn't cause a new category of wrist fatigue.
post #31 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Well... if and when Apple does release a wrist computer, you know what will happen next...

APPLE IS COPYING SAMSUNG!!

LOL @ APPLE PICS

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #32 of 63
It say's "non-flexible display but the illustrations in the patent clearly show a flexible display.
post #33 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

So lemme get this straight.

If you copy someone's idea but you get it to market first, you are no longer copying.

You are innovating?

Innovation is whatever you need it to be to win the argument. For example, "Apple is not innovating unless they make a 5-inch iPhone." Or "Apple should stop litigating and start innovating." Etc.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #34 of 63
Quote:

"DO IT!"

LOL

But this ACTUALLY IS Samsung's usual logic, no foolin.

post #35 of 63
Samsung will enter a picture of Dick Tracy talking to his watch as Defense Exhibit 129 as prior art. You heard it here, folks.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #36 of 63
concept device... lol

I guess they wanted 'something', 'anything' to trump Apple before Sept. 10th Apple event.
post #37 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Ss long as it has a "fluff" setting.....

And a lint filter.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #38 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDBA View Post

It will lead a trend down a dead end, until they change direction to follow Apple's path.

I give them a little credit, very little, for actually being somewhat proactive this time instead of purely reactive.
post #39 of 63
Quote:

Clean?
post #40 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

It looks like Samsung continues to stalk Apple's patent applications.

I've got no interest in having Samsung's cheap junk around my wrist.

I agree with you on this one. I also don't need R2D2 on my wrist, and Angry Birds are perfectly fine on my phone.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Samsung confirms debut of Galaxy Gear smart watch at Sept. 4 event