or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple confirms iPhone trade-in program begins today at retail stores

Apple confirms iPhone trade-in program begins today at retail stores - Page 2

post #41 of 45

of course Gazelle can offer higher prices.  They dont have brick and mortar stores nor do they have sales people.  Plus Apple won't accept low margins like a company like Gazelle.

Gazelle also does not guarantee the price.  You need to ship it to them and 'hope' they appraise the phone the same way you do.  As far as the highest price from Gazelle, good luck getting that price from them.  Personally I've never heard of anyone getting their phone appraised as 'flawless' from Gazelle. Plus all the trouble of shipping, trouble of depositing the check, trouble of waiting for weeks, ect, ect. 

For many people the extra $40 is just not worth it.  Most people buying iPhones make more than $40 an hour so its not really saving them anything for wasting their time.

Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
post #42 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by JpBoram View Post

Ok, so I just got an account so I could voice my thoughts to all you who want to listen. I personally don't like Apples trade-in program. They are just trying to make users buy there own products.

Before Steve died, Apples marketing was a "pull" approach. People "desired" products so they sold themselves. It was either their design, or "apple-genius" that made people want the products, but not it seems to be different. Correct me if i'm wrong, but it seems Apple is using more of a "pull" approach to marketing and trying to get people using their products in different ways that I don't think are necessarily helpful for the company.

For example, they now have there own iPhone trade-in program, which is great, however you ONLY get in-store credit, so technically you "HAVE" to buy a Apple product or something in the store that they approve of. There is no more "choice" involved I feel like. They also might offer you a little more so you feel "oblicated" to go with them appoosed to another buyback comapany. These are all tactics to "make" their users buy their products.

They also are stifling other's businesses by becoming a "apple-control-freak" http://vaultfeed.com/in-store-apple-iphone-trade-in-pays-less-then-gazelle-and-others/ summarized it nicely when they said "Well you wont be able to unless you sell your iPhone elsewhere!" Its just another indication that Apple wants control!!!

I have been seeing the prices that they are offering and they are clearly equal if not above those other buyback companies that have come into the realm like Gazelle.

But now we are all going to feel slightly "coerced" by the Cupertino stores to "buy" and "trade-in" giving Apple ALL the complete control on the sales and distribution of its Apple IOS devices. Is this something you really want?

NOT ME!

What a stupid post.  First off Apple is not 'forcing' anyone to participate in the trade in program.  You can sell your phone to a crazy person on craigslist.  Its just an additional option. Your 'opinion' about PUSH and PULL is total BS.  Apple's products never sold themselves.  Why did Jobs do the I'm a PC/I'm a Mac ad campaign if it sold itself?  Why do they spend BiLLIONS on marketing every year Jobs was in power if they sold themselves? 

Control freak?  Stifling other businesses? BS.  Its not Apple resonsibility to keep Gazelle solvent.  BS.  BS.

Of course Gazelle can offer more.  Do they have brick and mortar stores?  Sales people? Customer service? HELL NO.  But if you want an extra $30 go ahead and sell to Gazelle. But it will cost you time and effort shipping and depositing the check and then going to the store to buy another phone.  It all takes time.  Most iPhone users would rather save time and pay an extra $30 rather than going through hoops that can take weeks to complete.

Edited by sog35 - 8/31/13 at 7:47pm
post #43 of 45
Quote:

Ok, so I just got an account so I could voice my thoughts to all you who want to listen. I personally don't like Apples trade-in program. They are just trying to make users buy there own products.

I'm sorry. But this deserves the DUMB POST of the YEAR award.

What do you want Apple to do?  Sell Samdung phones in their retail stores so customers don't buy Apple products?  Wow.

post #44 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by v5v View Post

Quote:

Ok, so I just got an account so I could voice my thoughts to all you who want to listen. [...] NOT ME!

Josh, with due respect I'm honestly a little surprised that you are able to sell your writing if your post here is any indication, but maybe I'm just too critical. I will beat you up on one point though:

THAN!

Less THAN Gazelle... not THEN.

Then is a when, not a comparison.

Please go back and correct that headline.

Lol. That might have been autocorrupt though. What about this one:
Quote:

...appoosed to another..
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
post #45 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Lol. That might have been autocorrupt though. What about this one:

Quote:

...appoosed to another..

Ooo, good one! I forgot about that gem! They're the ones that make you feel "oblicated."

There was also the bit about Apple trying to make users "buy there own products" but I thought it was beneath mentioning. I changed my mind!

He's right about one thing, though. Under Steve Jobs Apple used a pull approach. Now they use a pull approach instead.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple confirms iPhone trade-in program begins today at retail stores