or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple blocking support personnel vacations from Sept. 15-28 for launch of new iPhones & iOS 7

Apple blocking support personnel vacations from Sept. 15-28 for launch of new iPhones & iOS 7

post #1 of 33
AppleCare employees have been restricted from taking time off for a two-week period, from Sept. 15 through 28 ??a span during which Apple is expected to launch its new iPhone lineup, as well as the revamped iOS 7 mobile operating system.

Calendar

An internal company document shared with AppleInsider purportedly shows time off available for AppleCare employees for the latter half of September. As can be seen in the calendar, available time off drops off significantly starting Sunday, Sept. 15, and continues through Saturday, Sept. 28.

The image provided shows the calendar being accessed via virtual private network from an internal Apple employee domain. Potentially identifying portions of the picture have been cropped out.

Apple is generally expected to make its new iPhone models available for sale on Friday, Sept. 20, just over a week after the company is gearing up to hold a media event to introduce the new devices. Based on prior years' release schedules, it's likely that iOS 7 a few days prior, perhaps on Wednesday, Sept. 18.

Render

Between the debut of new iPhones and the launch of a different-looking operating system in iOS 7, AppleCare telephone support will likely have their hands full. As such, Apple has restricted employee time off for a two-week span covering not only the expected launch, but a full week after.

Developers have had their hands on iOS 7 since the new platform was unveiled at Apple's annual Worldwide Developers Conference in June. The platform has a cleaner and more colorful look than its predecessor, with simpler icons and graphics, but it also packs in new features and functionality, such as a revamped Notification Center and quick-access Control Center.

Built-in apps and functions such as Photos, Camera, Weather, Safari, multitasking and Siri also sport new designs that may initially confuse new users once they are prompted to update to iOS 7.

Flash
Artist's conception of a possible iPhone 5S. Source: AppleInsider

As for hardware, Apple is set to hold an event on Sept. 10 that will focus on the company's new iPhones. Specifically, Apple is expected to introduce a new high-end "iPhone 5S" with an integrated fingerprint sensor under the home button, as well as a more affordable "iPhone 5C" with a plastic back available in a range of colors.

The iPhone is Apple's most popular product, and 2013 is expected to be the first time the company launches two new models at the same time, which sets the stage for the company's biggest product debut ever.
post #2 of 33
That is one stupid support employee: if I were to work there I'd take my agreement to non disclosure and confidentiality serious, otherwise I wouldn't have signed the agreement in the first place. And for what? We get to see the availability calendar of what department exactly? The pic doesn't say as anything confidential has been cropped out. Duh.
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
post #3 of 33
If this is true, we should see a final build of iOS 7 and Mavericks, an invitation to the Mac Pro/ iPhone launch event in the next week. If that doesn't happen... Wait another month.

iTunes Radio - Apple TV with Wifi AC - Gold Anodized Aluminum iPhone - Mac Pro: September - November 2013

iTunes Radio - Apple TV with Wifi AC - Gold Anodized Aluminum iPhone - Mac Pro: September - November 2013

post #4 of 33
I'd be surprised if iOS 7 is released before October.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #5 of 33

Announcement date: September 10th

Pre-Order date:  September 13th

Store availability date:  September 20th

post #6 of 33
Wait. Let me get this straight.

New iOS.
Two new phones.
New Mac OS.
New iPads.
And maybe soonish:
Wearable device.
And a new kind of TV.
Oh and:
Totally new Mac Pro.

All that is supposedly coming out in the near future?

Holy guacamole, Batman.
post #7 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Apple is not going to launch new phones without iOS 7 on them. And I'm sure they'd like a week or two if sales in the September quarter if possible. I can see the iPad version being delayed though.
post #8 of 33

I agree. I think that iPhones for marketing reasons are going to be announced by themselves. Apple does not want to crowd the picture too much and each needs it's time to shine and get the expected press.

post #9 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

New iOS.
Two new phones.
New Mac OS.
New iPads.
And maybe soonish:
Wearable device.
And a new kind of TV.
Oh and:
Totally new Mac Pro.

Holy guacamole, Batman.

Definitely going to need a bigger bowl of chips. :)

post #10 of 33
Quote:

Saddling everyone who buys a new phone with a complete system change a few weeks later?

I hope not, the screaming would be endless.

post #11 of 33
Quote:

New iOS.
Two new phones.
New Mac OS.
New iPads.
And maybe soonish:
Wearable device.
And a new kind of TV.
Oh and:
Totally new Mac Pro.

Holy guacamole, Batman.

Unfortunately, if they fail to do any one of them, the stock will plummet - no matter how well they do everything else.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #12 of 33
Quote:

New iOS.
Two new phones.
New Mac OS.
New iPads.
And maybe soonish:
Wearable device.
And a new kind of TV.
Oh and:
Totally new Mac Pro.

Holy guacamole, Batman.

Yes, an issue for the corporation for sure.

But bet on iOS7 and iPhones only on Sep 10.  I'd be surprised if anything else muddies the event.

...I think folks don't realize the immense drive/focus this all takes from each person in the company, including Tim Cook.

post #13 of 33
If they do release new iPads, they're unlikely to have iOS 7. The software is so not ready for iPads at the moment - it crashes constantly.
post #14 of 33
Quote:

New iOS.
Two new phones.
New Mac OS.
New iPads.
And maybe soonish:
Wearable device.
And a new kind of TV.
Oh and:
Totally new Mac Pro.

Holy guacamole, Batman.

Ok, I think this list needs to be amended somewhat.  Here are the things that they are definitely going to do:

Sept 10th:

New iOS

New phones (my bet is on two models, but it could be just the one)

Sept 24th - Oct 8th:

New Mac OS
New Mac Pro
Updated MacBook Pro lineup
New iPads and iPad Minis

I also think they will do an update to the Apple TV, to allow for 802.11ac and maybe a faster processor in it (so streaming to it from a Mac or iOS device is even more fluid)

These are maybes, and seem more like Investor Hard-On Material. Personally, I do not think they will get into either of these areas:
Wearable iWatch
An Actual Apple TV

Listen, anal-ists are always hard on Apple.  They figure since they haven't reinvented a new market and brought up something brand new with a holographic display and can order to do anything with just your own thoughts they must be failing completely; and it is Tim Cook's fault, and what would Steve Jobs do since Apple is so beleaguered. /s

-- Mike Eggleston
-- Mac Fanatic since 1984.
-- Proud Member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals
-- Wii #: 8913 3004 4519 2027

-- Mike Eggleston

post #15 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Apple is not going to launch new phones without iOS 7 on them. And I'm sure they'd like a week or two if sales in the September quarter if possible. I can see the iPad version being delayed though.

Why not? They have to decouple os and hardware announcements going forward if they want multiple models per year. The iPad upgrade don't depend on a new OS. And the iPhone C can come with a version of iOS 6 to start with. iOS 7 isn't ready. Full stop. iOS 5 was issued in October. Only iOS 6 - which had few or no changes - was released in September. The iPhone 5S may need iOS 7 but it will probably be released later if so. The iPhone C will be announced on the 10th. With iOS 6.

EDIT: macs aren't coupled to os releases. And iPhones are only coupled to new OS releases in "tier 1" countries anyway. The rest of the tech world won't care because Android doesn't couple the OS and hardware, how could it? A few early adopters will have to download iOS 7 over the net before they have to download iOS 7.1 like everybody else. Big deal.

If it isn't ready don't ship it to bad press. Ship the new iPhones with an upgraded iOS 6.
Edited by asdasd - 8/30/13 at 12:15pm
post #16 of 33
Quote:

iOS 7 isn't ready. Full stop.

How do you figure? I use iOS 7 daily and have not had a single problem with it.  I have used all of the functions that I need to, I have no connection issues, and it does seem rather snappy on my iP4S. The only time I have problems is when I am using 3rd party applications, but that is more on the application end than it is on iOS's end.

So tell me, where do you have issues with this release, or are you repeating something you heard?

-- Mike Eggleston

-- Mike Eggleston

post #17 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Eggleston View Post

How do you figure? I use iOS 7 daily and have not had a single problem with it.  I have used all of the functions that I need to, I have no connection issues, and it does seem rather snappy on my iP4S. The only time I have problems is when I am using 3rd party applications, but that is more on the application end than it is on iOS's end.

So tell me, where do you have issues with this release, or are you repeating something you heard?

Crashing apps are an issue aren't they? But yes the new API don't always work, the animations judder. The ui needs work but that's a judgement call. I find bugs all the time. The music app fails to download my purchased music for me - and I know I am not alone. They are not one beta from release.

( in general the os if bug free would be great)
post #18 of 33
Another problem. You get the old ui if you don't resubmit. You get the new ui if you use Xcode 5 even if you set the earliest deployment target to iOS 6 or before. . When GM is announced the devs will have to use Xcode 5 to get in the store. So to fix a crashing bug devs have to redo the entire UI for iOS 7 which is not necessarily trivial.
This could be a public relations disaster.
post #19 of 33
Quote:

Crashing apps are an issue aren't they? But yes the new API don't always work, the animations judder.

But again, that is on the application developer who hasn't made the optimizations for iOS 7 (or hasn't released them). If this was a simple point-release, then this argument would be valid. As for your animations that you are referring to, are these iOS animations (system layer) or in certain applications? For instance, I tried playing Solstice Arena on iOS 7 and it was completely unplayable because the animations it was using was for iOS 5/6, and not for iOS 7 (which changed a significant number of API animation calls). But I know that is not an iOS 7 issue, that is an application issue.

Quote:
The ui needs work but that's a judgement call. I find bugs all the time. The music app fails to download my purchased music for me - and I know I am not alone. They are not one beta from release.

( in general the os if bug free would be great)

I have not had your music problem that you are experiencing (not to say that isn't there, just saying).  Also, the UI seems solid to me. It was a bit jarring at first, but as I have gotten used to it, it seems a lot better than what iOS 6 ever was.

-- Mike Eggleston

-- Mike Eggleston

post #20 of 33
Quote:

Another problem. You get the old ui if you don't resubmit. You get the new ui if you use Xcode 5 even if you set the earliest deployment target to iOS 6 or before. . When GM is announced the devs will have to use Xcode 5 to get in the store. So to fix a crashing bug devs have to redo the entire UI for iOS 7 which is not necessarily trivial.
This could be a public relations disaster.

I agree with you on this point.  The potential for a PR disaster is there.  However, if they handle it correctly, and fix the issues with Xcode 5, they may make it out with minimal problems.

-- Mike Eggleston

-- Mike Eggleston

post #21 of 33
The iPad and the iPhone are the only products that require events. They can silently update the Macbooks, iMac and MacPro whenever they want.

Although the MacPro looks stunning, I wonder why Apple even bothers anymore, no consumer needs that kind of power, or can afford the price tag. Any prosumer who does need that kind of power would be much smarter to build their own machine for a fraction of the cost.

I'm sorry Apple, but when you are dealing with VERY powerful machines, it doesn't much matter what they look like, only idiots (most consumers) care about that stuff, and they don't really have that much money.
post #22 of 33
Originally Posted by alienzed View Post
Although the MacPro looks stunning, I wonder why Apple even bothers anymore, no consumer needs that kind of power, or can afford the price tag.

It's not a consumer machine. What in the world makes you think that? It's not a prosumer machine. What in the world makes you think that? My stars.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

post #23 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It's not a consumer machine. What in the world makes you think that? It's not a prosumer machine. What in the world makes you think that? My stars.

Well yes. But the iMac is a perfectly acceptable professional machine. There's the problem. IT heads are not likely to ok a Mac Pro. Rich consumers might buy one.
post #24 of 33
Mike E - don't get me wrong. I love OS 7. I just think its a month+ away, not 2 weeks away, from being ready.
post #25 of 33
Quote:

The iPad and the iPhone are the only products that require events. They can silently update the Macbooks, iMac and MacPro whenever they want.

Although the MacPro looks stunning, I wonder why Apple even bothers anymore, no consumer needs that kind of power, or can afford the price tag. Any prosumer who does need that kind of power would be much smarter to build their own machine for a fraction of the cost.

I'm sorry Apple, but when you are dealing with VERY powerful machines, it doesn't much matter what they look like, only idiots (most consumers) care about that stuff, and they don't really have that much money.

I've never bought that, bolded by me, line of thought. Just because someone's work requires a lot of computer power doesn't at all mean they have to drag out the solder gun and the wire clippers and build it themselves. Heavyweight numerical analysis or imaging doesn't equate with either desire or necessity for electronics tinkering.

Back in the day I needed the power of a Caterpillar D-9: I did not build it myself....

post #26 of 33
Quote:

I know the market is small, but there are professionals...architects, graphic designers, sound, video, that need pro hardware. I did build a Hackintosh, completely awesome, not terribly less money for the performance... cheap case... but i would not run mission critical apps on it. Hardware/Software integration is so important. While I am amazed at the resilience of OSX to work with the computer I built, its still not a true Mac, and nothing has come close to my 2009 Mac Pro for value... We have many iMacs and they just don't cut it.

Back to the topic... No one has mentioned iPods... Are we getting a plastic iPod Touch for $199... are they going to surprise us with a wearable iPod line... Its hard to keep iPhones secret because of the testing with carrier that are involved, but if my memory is correct, the last iPod touch was a design change didn't escape to the rumor sites... Maybe an event later in the year, but I hoping for some iPod surprises.

post #27 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by xZu View Post

Back to the topic... No one has mentioned iPods... Are we getting a plastic iPod Touch for $199... are they going to surprise us with a wearable iPod line... Its hard to keep iPhones secret because of the testing with carrier that are involved, but if my memory is correct, the last iPod touch was a design change didn't escape to the rumor sites... Maybe an event later in the year, but I hoping for some iPod surprises.

I think the current iPod Touch line will be the same for at least one more year. The iPod sales have declined every year since they peaked in 2009. The only model worth updating is the iPod Touch, to gain Wifi AC, the A6, and the iPhone 5's GPU Chip from Imagination Technologies. And the sales have decreased since they increased the price of the units to 299 because they got rid of the 16 GB version, even if it did make a lot of sense to sell the 32 gb version... The way apple is payed for their products is the following...

Pay for devs work
Retail work
Manufacturing work
Store electricity and water bills
R+ D
Health insurance and 401k for employees
Materials and chips used
Lawyers and marketing team
iCloud servers and administrators/ installers around the U.S. like the one they recently built.
24/7 assistance at apple.com
Stock price
Architects and Builders of Apple Stores and Apple's HQ's in Santa Clara, Palo Alto, and the ex-HP Headquarters site

That's the reason Apple products are so expensive... not because they want to make them.

But yeah, if they update an iPod it would be in the next year since they have so many projects going on right now. Last year they updated the Nano surprisingly, but the shuffle stayed the same. Maybe well see memory updates to them someday... I really wanted Apple to make an iPod Shuffle with iTunes Home Sharing over Wifi or LTE to stream my music from my home computer but that seems like Overkill for 49 dollars.

post #28 of 33
Quote:

Well yes. But the iMac is a perfectly acceptable professional machine. There's the problem. IT heads are not likely to ok a Mac Pro. Rich consumers might buy one.

Just visit your local tv station to see how many Mac pros they use, or any pro video production house or just go to a NAB show and count how many Mac Pros you see. It's a crapload of them and they have been waiting for new hardware for at least 2 years.
post #29 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerofTruth View Post

Quote:

Just visit your local tv station to see how many Mac pros they use, or any pro video production house or just go to a NAB show and count how many Mac Pros you see. It's a crapload of them and they have been waiting for new hardware for at least 2 years.

True. Marvin posted a couple of links over here, on the issue of Mac (Pro's) used by the beeb.

Not so certain on their waiting for two years though, the incremental HW upgrades the 'old' Mac Pro got were still valuable to the pro market. The whiners on the internet are the ones who post, the ones who buy post way less, or so I would imagine.
Edited by PhilBoogie - 9/2/13 at 12:01am
post #30 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerofTruth View Post

The big boys run Linux on HP/IBM blade servers.

http://www.digitalartsonline.co.uk/features/creative-lifestyle/weta-rendering-lord-of-rings/

Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
post #31 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

True. Marvin posted a couple of links over here, on the issue of Mac (Pro's) used by the beeb.

That was more about seats of FCP than Mac Pros, they primarily have Mac laptops. If you run the purchase numbers in one of the links, the average unit price is around the entry 15" MBP.

Weta has some Mac hardware as shown here:

Quite a few laptops. The concept artists use the Mac Pros at 2:02 hooked up to Cinema Displays.
post #32 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

The big boys run Linux on HP/IBM blade servers.

Mind boggling numbers there. I wonder what software they use. Would it be mainly their own?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Weta has some Mac hardware as shown here:

^VIDEO

I like these 2 minute docu's!

*off to Weta, ILM and similar websites*
post #33 of 33
I want to see Craig Federighi kicking back in a recliner, with a new iPhone 5C and snap-on case gamepad in hand playing the new COD iOS game. Then AirPlay mirror it to the new "Set Top Box". Then keep on playing with a wireless bluetooth gamepad connected directly to the new "Set Top Box".

Apple owes us some gamepad mojo!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple blocking support personnel vacations from Sept. 15-28 for launch of new iPhones & iOS 7
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple blocking support personnel vacations from Sept. 15-28 for launch of new iPhones & iOS 7