or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Prototype Samsung Galaxy Gear smart watch shown off in pictures

Prototype Samsung Galaxy Gear smart watch shown off in pictures

post #1 of 148
Just days before its planned unveiling, images of a prototype smart watch from Samsung have emerged online, showing the South Korean tech giant's newest entry for a wearable technology segment where Apple, Google, and Microsoft are also expected to compete within the coming year.

samsung-smartwatch.jpg

Samsung has made no secret of the fact that it plans to show off a smart watch device on Wednesday at the IFA technology convention, but VentureBeat's Christina Farr got a look at a prototype of the device, as well as some hands-on time with it. The device shown in the report is said to have been sent to developers and a number of select partners.

While its final form factor could prove different, Farr's account pegs the Galaxy Gear's wristband as "clunky and masculine," but not heavy. Samsung appears to have packed a good deal of technology into the Gear, with both a 4-megapixel camera and speakers integrated into the wristband.

With regard to specifications, the Gear features a three-inch square OLED display and a range of connectivity options. Users will likely be able to pair the Gear with a Galaxy smartphone or tablet ? or possibly other Android devices ? via near-field communication just by tapping the watch to the device. It also has Bluetooth 4.0 connectivity, allowing for another pairing option, as well as a low-power means of interacting with a paired device.

samsung-smartwatch-3.jpg

The Galaxy Gear also packs its own Wi-Fi antenna, allowing it to connect to the Internet without the need for a paired device. Reportedly, it will have more than 10 hours of battery life.

In terms of functionality, the Gear comes loaded with Samsung's S Voice feature for voice commands, as well as a number of Android apps for social media and health tracking. The device can reportedly control a paired device remotely, allowing users to do things such as initiate calls and view call logs from a paired smartphone.

The promotional video from which the images of the watch were taken suggests that Samsung will make a big push to position the device as a fitness companion. Reportedly, the video showed users snapping pictures of their food with the watch and categorizing meals for later review. It also appears to have a number of sensors integrated, allowing users to track their heart rate, steps, and potentially other metrics. One source said that a Palo Alto-based health startup has spent months working with Samsung to develop fitness apps for the device.

samsung-smartwatch-4.jpg

The Galaxy Gear will not be Samsung's first entry into the smart watch market. The tech conglomerate has made multiple other forays into the wearable sector, but none to any great success. Industry observers believe some five million smart watch units may ship next year as most of the big names in technology appear to be preparing a push into the wearable computing segment.

Sony already has a presence in the sector, but the coming year may see Microsoft roll out its own device as well. Google, too, appears to be working on its own smart watch, having bought last year the maker of an Android-powered watch.

Samsung's chief rival, Apple, is also widely believed to be working on its own "iWatch." By some accounts, that device isn't scheduled to see release until 2014, though Apple is said to have a 100-person strong team working on its watch.
post #2 of 148

So, Apple doesn't need to be afraid then. That thing looks hideous.

post #3 of 148

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA IT'S SO UGLY.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #4 of 148
Nice screws
post #5 of 148

This watch looks awful.  I think they tried to design it after a Galaxy phone.

post #6 of 148
They're punking us. This can't be real.
post #7 of 148
Of course their second generation will be a s4 strapped to a wrist cuz bigger is better
post #8 of 148
So basically it will do what my Bluetooth headset along with Siri on my iP{hone already does but I'll have to have this huge ass device strapped to my wrist and hold my hand up like I was using an old style telephone.
post #9 of 148
i think if it didn't have wifi it might also have a battery life that is better than a joke. And as others have noted, its butt ugly.

I suspect it was rushed to market before it was ready.
It's the heat death of the universe, my friends.
It's the heat death of the universe, my friends.
post #10 of 148

I prefer a traditional analogue watch.

Always happy to debate an issue with anyone. Once it turns into name calling, I am out of there. 
Always happy to debate an issue with anyone. Once it turns into name calling, I am out of there. 
post #11 of 148
uau! That is big! I really wish that this isn%u2019t some weird tactic to surprise people with the real product. It reminds of the idiocy of a clown watch
post #12 of 148
It looks a bit loose on the wrist, is that a feature?
post #13 of 148
If that's what they have to offer, I don't think Apple will lose much sleep.
post #14 of 148
I believe the idea of a "smart watch" is great, BUT! for the billionth time, it isn't so much about the idea but about the implementation of that idea. Things such as customer experience, ecosystem integration and cohesiveness, coupled with truly simple and intuitive beautiful UIs, not to mention beautiful crafted pieces of harware are just some of the things that separate Apple from other companies. All that can be express with a simple word: implementation. That's where Apple triumphs and the rest don't. This watch is... well, just the opposite of what Apple is all about.
post #15 of 148

Gotta say, this doesn't look nice....  It reminds me of those huge calculator watches from the 80's or whenever.

post #16 of 148

This is the ugliest watch I have ever seen! I guess this is what happens when SamSung can't find someone (Apple) to copy from.

Edited by NasserAE - 9/1/13 at 2:49pm
post #17 of 148
Interesting how it sort of rips off the iPhone "look" also. Looks like a micro-iPhone strapped to the wrist.

This is so ugly I think it must be a fake-out.
Edited by Gazoobee - 9/1/13 at 2:51pm
post #18 of 148

BUT --- DOES it have 4G LTE internet built-in to the device???? THAT is the BIG question!

post #19 of 148

This makes the Sony smart watch look down right amazing and I thought that was one ugly device.

post #20 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondm16 View Post

I prefer a traditional analogue watch.

They are so hard to use though.  You have to look at it, check out where the arms are, then think about what time that means it is.  Most of them don't even have numbers too, so then you're left counting the marks to see which number it represents. 

A digital watch you can just glance at, and see the time.

You can also set it for the more sensible 24 hour time and not be bothered by all that, "Is it 12:00 AM or 12:00 PM?" nonsense. 

post #21 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It also didn't help that they chose a guy with spaghetti arms. lol.gif
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #22 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

This is the ugliest watch I have ever seen! I guess this is what happens when SamSung can't find someone (Apple) to copy from.

On the bright side, this will give ammunition to the later articles on how Samsung copied Apple's iWatch.  This will be the part where they show "what Samsung smart watches looked like before the iWatch came out."  

Followed by the shot of the Samsung watch that looks startlingly identical to whatever Apple comes out with next year.  1smile.gif

post #23 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Most of them don't even have numbers too, so then you're left counting the marks to see which number it represents.

C'mon really?
post #24 of 148
As with all their bright ideas, Samsung seems to have stolen another one... this time from Maxwell Smart! ROTF LMAO
post #25 of 148
Quote:

On the bright side, this will give ammunition to the later articles on how Samsung copied Apple's iWatch.  This will be the part where they show "what Samsung smart watches looked like before the iWatch came out."  

Followed by the shot of the Samsung watch that looks startlingly identical to whatever Apple comes out with next year.  1smile.gif

and then Samsung and their shills will say "this is the natural progression of technology".

post #26 of 148
Oh gosh.

Surely they can't be putting out something like that!? In 2013!? As some people are speculating, this has to be a decoy of some sort. Even Samsung can't be this laughably bad with their design.
post #27 of 148
Quote:

They are so hard to use though.  You have to look at it, check out where the arms are, then think about what time that means it is.  Most of them don't even have numbers too, so then you're left counting the marks to see which number it represents. 

A digital watch you can just glance at, and see the time.
You can also set it for the more sensible 24 hour time and not be bothered by all that, "Is it 12:00 AM or 12:00 PM?" nonsense. 

I agree. I'm going to trade in my Rolex and ride the "wearable tech" wave.

This is such a dumb concept.
post #28 of 148
What an abomination.
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
post #29 of 148
What did you seriously expect? Samsung has nothing to photocopy from Apple yet. This is their idea of what 'innovation' is.
post #30 of 148

As this is a prototype there are bound to be some changes from now until the final release, but if they're this far behind the Pebble (what's arguably the best smart watch available as of today), I don't see much hope for the final version.

post #31 of 148
Hahahahahahajahahaha. What a fugly piece of junk!
post #32 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I don't agree with you often but no argument here. If this is really what they are releasing, it is just flat out ugly.
post #33 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex101 View Post

History repeats. MP3 players. Smartphones. Tablets. There is a pattern. Inferior products are in the market for some time before Apple releases its superior product. Then, everyone tries to copy.

This time, I hope Microsoft and Google can both start releasing their smart watches before the iWatch is released. It will be a lot of fun to watch.

post #34 of 148
As expected, it looks like **it.
post #35 of 148
Originally Posted by jj.yuan View Post

It will be a lot of fun to… watch.

Tee hee.

post #36 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex101 View Post

Isn't this a prototype, though?

post #37 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj.yuan View Post

History repeats. MP3 players. Smartphones. Tablets. There is a pattern. Inferior products are in the market for some time before Apple releases its superior product. Then, everyone tries to copy.

This time, I hope Microsoft and Google can both start releasing their smart watches before the iWatch is released. It will be a lot of fun to watch.

I agree and its gotten to a point that it's pathetic. I don't believe that only Apple employs people capable of coming up with good designs for CE.
post #38 of 148
I'd rather wear a porcupine on my wrist.
post #39 of 148
Originally Posted by NotScott View Post
I'd rather wear a porcupine on my wrist.

They are pretty adorable.

post #40 of 148

Wow, Samsung, wow...

So this is what you get from Samsung when they don't have an Apple design to copy. Brutal. I'm no fan of Samsung but I generally don't go out of my way to be negative about them either. I can acknowledge that the S3 and S4 are good Android phones if Android is your thing. But goodnight, that thing looks heinous, and I just can't imagine needing something like that. I think what Tim Cook said about the focus needing to be sensors is dead on.

And who the hell wants to do FaceTime/Skype on a smart watch, really?!? Just hold your arm up in that position for 30 seconds and tell me it's a good idea.

I didn't expect much from Samsung's smart watch, but even I'm surprised at how bad and off the mark it's looking like it could be. I guess I really shouldn't be surprised knowing how terrible their TV interfaces are, which they also have had to design without the aid of Apple's design for some time now. (Though that's not to say there's really any good TV interfaces right now from any manufacturer; the bar is very, very low...)

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Prototype Samsung Galaxy Gear smart watch shown off in pictures