or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Prototype Samsung Galaxy Gear smart watch shown off in pictures

Prototype Samsung Galaxy Gear smart watch shown off in pictures - Page 3

post #81 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

You will all stop laughing and watch in awe... Once you see the cuckoo coming out.

No way, I found prior art. lol.gif

"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #82 of 148
They should've just waited for apple to come out with their product, then copy it.
post #83 of 148
As an aside, @jonyo thanks for spelling bated correctly. What a rarity :-)

IMHO, if this really does represent any iteration in Samsung's attempts at a smart watch, they blew it for the simple reason that the thing would fit more comfortably oriented in landscape, i.e. with the wrist strap connected to the watch's long sides.
post #84 of 148

This is the place where Apple type innovation is really required. Okay so Sammie's watch in the pic is fugly, brutally fugly. It is a Curly double take, ugly. But the hideousness of it didn't bother me as much as a 10hr battery did. It wouldn't make it through a workday. That is stupid. And why they hell would they need a wi-fi antenna on a watch? But that begs the question, "Just what do you need from a watch?'. And what should you be going through to get it. Is the watch an extension of the phone in your pocket, or something in an of itself? 

We want easy to access, but very specific data based on something we entered into our iOS system. First we want the time. Then we want calendar info, call info (before we pull the phone out of our pocket). Some message information. Some health information. We want it to be configurable based on our specific needs. We want it to be pretty with a configurable face (sometimes we need to exactly what time it is, sometimes we are only concerned with about what time it is) sometimes form is more important than function, we want a watch that respects that move. BIometrics would be cool, but only as a sensor input, output should be on the phone. Weather data might me cool, but from the phone to the watch, via the watch itself. We want elegance, not some rubber wristband (they make the watch look like a toy) I'm not sure I'd want apps on my watch, although they may need to access it. There may be animations, but I'm not going to watch my watch (although I may be prone to admire it). 

A big problem will be battery life, although the Fitbit I have (the One) lasts a few days off of a quick charge. Apple can win this. Easy.

post #85 of 148
This is what you get when Samsung goes first. Big, ugly, clunky design with little indicating real value. WHY does this watch exist? What is for?

After Apple defines (or redefines), or completely creates, a new market for wearables Samsung's 'crisis of design' will kick in yet again and lo and behold, yet another "natural progression of wearables" will appear in their product line looking oh so similar to Apple's products%u2026

Except this time, I'm half expecting NO SUCH PRODUCT from Apple. It's Apple that's punking Samsung, not the other way around 1wink.gif

I still think IF Apple uses the 'iWatch' trademark, it'll be for something TV related...
post #86 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by eckergus View Post

I believe the idea of a "smart watch" is great, BUT! for the billionth time, it isn't so much about the idea but about the implementation of that idea. Things such as customer experience, ecosystem integration and cohesiveness, coupled with truly simple and intuitive beautiful UIs, not to mention beautiful crafted pieces of harware are just some of the things that separate Apple from other companies. All that can be express with a simple word: implementation. That's where Apple triumphs and the rest don't. This watch is... well, just the opposite of what Apple is all about.

While all of this is true, I still just can't imagine wearing a screen on my wrist. I *stopped* wearing watches when my phone became a convenient clock; I never enjoyed wearing a watch, and I enjoyed them less the bigger they were. I don't care about all the pedometer/exercise features that a watch could have from being next to my skin, and I can't imagine why I'd want to use a smaller screen for things my phone can do when my phone is always with me. 

This isn't to say that Apple or whoever gets it right (i.e. Apple) won't sell some of these. I just don't think they'll sell one to me. And women! Women's watches are *small*. Even a 1.5" screen = a really big watch for typical women's jewelry, and that's a really small screen.

post #87 of 148
OMG - what an ugly beast! When they don't have an actual Apple product to copy, this is the kind of "innovative" POS you'll get from these clowns. And we can all look forward to their wearable 5" model. /s
post #88 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by TzTerri View Post

So basically it will do what my Bluetooth headset along with Siri on my iP{hone already does but I'll have to have this huge ass device strapped to my wrist and hold my hand up like I was using an old style telephone.

Just say "Calling Dick Tracy! Calling Dick Tracy" into your Samsung "smart" watch, and you'll fit right in!

Except Dick Tracy's wrist communicator was also a video screen I believe. FaceTime on a watch? Now that would be something.

post #89 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

It also didn't help that they chose a guy with spaghetti arms. lol.gif

I'm guessing they used the same almost gigantic guy they used to make the S4 look like a "normal" sized phone…. the one with the huge hands? Wait until you see THIS on a normal arm….

post #90 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Oh gosh.

Surely they can't be putting out something like that!? In 2013!? As some people are speculating, this has to be a decoy of some sort. Even Samsung can't be this laughably bad with their design.

Oh, they most certainly can. Go look again at the "before and after iPhone" shots…. Samsung 'smart phones' before iPhone were the perfect example of how bad their designs could be. And those were just poorly copying Blackberry, Nokia and others…. 

post #91 of 148
Quote:

No way, I found prior art. lol.gif

It's more then a conversation starter, there's a Swiss movement behind the gingerbread. This one will compete with gold Apple iPhone in the upscale jewelry stores. 

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #92 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

This is what you get when Samsung goes first. Big, ugly, clunky design with little indicating real value. WHY does this watch exist? What is for?

After Apple defines (or redefines), or completely creates, a new market for wearables Samsung's 'crisis of design' will kick in yet again and lo and behold, yet another "natural progression of wearables" will appear in their product line looking oh so similar to Apple's products%u2026

Except this time, I'm half expecting NO SUCH PRODUCT from Apple. It's Apple that's punking Samsung, not the other way around 1wink.gif

I still think IF Apple uses the 'iWatch' trademark, it'll be for something TV related...

After the geek minority starts demanding bigger screens (and more 1337 specs), you'll one day regard this as the smallest Android smartwatch with the longest battery life.

As for Apple, I am under the impression (from various statements and hints dropped by Tim Cook) that the company was more interested in sensors to complement, rather than obviate, the smartphone. That's my prediction. It's not going to be "iPhone with wrist straps".

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #93 of 148

The real Apple iWatch will be able to detect if you're having trouble falling asleep and tell you how long you've lain there tossing and turning before suggesting ways to prioritize your next day, remind you that you haven't sent in your quarterly report to the IRS, and check your bank balance to let you know how overdrawn you are. No sense laying there worrying about possible disasters, because the iWatch with Sadistic Siri built in will remind you over and over about all the looming doom in your life and suggest some possible fatal outcomes if not addressed right that moment.

post #94 of 148

Whatever Samsung's watch looks like it will still suffer from one major flaw - software support. Samsung already has difficulty attracting developers to make versions specific to their smartphones (as opposed to a developer just writing an Android only App). Nobody is going to want to waste time & money on such an unproven device, let alone one that only works with one brand of device (Samsung).

On the other hand, there are already countless iOS developers out there. Apple will have no trouble getting them to code for the iWatch (if Apple doesn't keep it closed like the Apple TV currently is).

Apple will undoubtedly have the superior watch from a hardware & design perspective. Add their software advantage to that and it will be hard for anyone to compete.

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

post #95 of 148

This can't be real. This thing looks like something the police would make you wear on your ankle.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #96 of 148

That thing is out of control, I still don't understand why you'd need a smart watch in the first place.  I'll stick with my analog watches. 

iMac 2007, Macbook pro 2008, Mac Mini 2011
iMac 2007, Macbook pro 2008, Mac Mini 2011
post #97 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Maybe it is just my generation, but I thought most people learned how to tell time around age 5. It is like riding a bike, you don't have to think about. The human brain normally handles that sort of thing automatically. Every elementary school clock I've ever seen was analog. 
It's way past automatic. In my mind, when I am calculating how long a task will take to completion, my mental gestalt of time is analog. In other words, my mental calculations and results are represented on an analog clock. I haven't owned any analog clocks in years, but my mind is still stuck on analog clocks.

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

post #98 of 148
Obviously we don't know what to expect from an iWatch at this point, but as suggested earlier the real focus should be biometrics. There is no point adding feature duplication when every smartphone has wifi, camera, etc. Biometric data in the other hand isn't available in the phone and a smart watch strapped to the body is a great location for a sensor or two. After that, keep the overall device small and slim, battery life good enough for a weekend adventure, and give it a screen i can read in all lighting. Apple could top it off with a very basic touch interface for controlling music (play, pause, and skip) and open up a watchface store for added customizability while allowing creators to get some compensation for their efforts ($0.99 sounds reasonable).
post #99 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex101 View Post

So, Apple doesn't need to be afraid then. That thing looks hideous.

Lol.

This is what Samsung builds when Apple doesn't show them how to do it first.

Has to be a joke.

It can't literally be that bad.

We will know for sure soon enough.
post #100 of 148
That looks like a crappy cheap phone screwed down to a wrist band. Not worth 2 cents.
post #101 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

This is a basinga, right?

I think Samsung's purposely leaking out shitty looking watch models there by lowering the markets expectation, and then come up with a 10 times better design and get people to say WO! Oldest trick in the book.

If I were to guess they'll come up with a watch something around these lines.CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v80), quality = 90

A watch that uses there Youm flexible display. They demoed it early this year. I am certain.

Here is a link of they announcing it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3a9WrfzZOM

Edited by nikilok - 9/1/13 at 10:45pm
post #102 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by politicalslug View Post

Obviously we don't know what to expect from an iWatch at this point, but as suggested earlier the real focus should be biometrics. There is no point adding feature duplication when every smartphone has wifi, camera, etc. Biometric data in the other hand isn't available in the phone and a smart watch strapped to the body is a great location for a sensor or two. After that, keep the overall device small and slim, battery life good enough for a weekend adventure, and give it a screen i can read in all lighting. Apple could top it off with a very basic touch interface for controlling music (play, pause, and skip) and open up a watchface store for added customizability while allowing creators to get some compensation for their efforts ($0.99 sounds reasonable).

I agree with this. Further, I cannot imagine Samesung releasing a device like that shown. I think that we're being conned with those images, surely. 1hmm.gif

Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
post #103 of 148

Is it too early for the word wablet?

post #104 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbird73 View Post

Look, I am the first to bash Samsung, but like with rumored iPhones, etc. I will give them the benefit of the doubt until they announce and show off a production ready model. And it is the first iteration. First gen is the kicking the tires. Same will likely hold true for Apple. Unless the square nano was their first gen, so to speak, I expect that the first gen iWatch will be different from the second/third gens, just like the iPhone and iPad.

First iteration?

They tried and failed quite a few times already.

As recently as 2009 they tried the S9110.

In 1999 they tried the SPH-WP10.

There are one or two others I think.

post #105 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I have a nephew who is now in his late 30's who just can't tell time with an analogue clock at all!

If school didn't teach him this his parents ought to. We can't really blame the child.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikilok View Post

If I were to guess they'll come up with a watch something around these lines.CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v80), quality = 90

A watch that uses there Youm flexible display. They demoed it early this year. I am certain.

I am certain you are ¡
Quote:
Here is a link of they announcing it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3a9WrfzZOM

If there's anything Samsung should copy from Apple, it's presentation skills from Steve Jobs. That was one excruciating watch, nee, view, nee, video.
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
post #106 of 148
Quote:

I think Samsung's purposely leaking out shitty looking watch models there by lowering the markets expectation, and then come up with a 10 times better design and get people to say WO! Oldest trick in the book.

On second thought's pulling out such a watch like shown above, is kind of technically impossible. Considering the whole thing's flexible, where do the put in the circuit board and components like chips, batteries etc ? That is a concept render, but i dont think the hardware technology today will allow for such a design.

In that youtube video you'll notice the actual hardware powering those flexible screens are a giant sized block below the flexible display, which they hold on.

So yeah we aren't technologically there yet.. Or atleast Samsung isn't. Who know's maybe Apple will figure it out.

post #107 of 148
this has to be a fake, even Samsung would punt that crap out....would they??
post #108 of 148

That is not a watch, that is a phone in a wriststrap. Ridiculous. You could achieve the same effect with a Galaxy Mini to within half an inch.  If you can't wear it as a watch, and fit in under a shirt cuff, then it's not a watch.

post #109 of 148

I do find it funny that people are pinning the first Smartwatch iteration on Samsumg, when Sony have had them out for a while now:

http://www.sonymobile.com/gb/products/accessories/smartwatch/

...and are on the 2nd versions of them at that.

http://www.sonymobile.com/gb/products/accessories/smartwatch-2-sw2/

They even look (to my taste) relatively attractive.

It's nothing new as an idea, it's nothing new as a shipping product, so I don't see what the interest in Samsung is other than the obvious received wisdom that only Apple and Samsung matter.

post #110 of 148
I would buy an iFridge if/when Apple release it, so to the my objectivity :-)
I think iWatch could and should do many interesting things.
I need to control music on iPhone, but not on iPhone itself.
I want to see reminders when I get to some location, not on iPhone in my pocket, but faster on my wrist.
I want to pay fot things via iWatch NFC. I want to use coupones from iPhone app but on watch, maybe via showing QR code.
I want to track my bio/physicals in much more presentable way that current sportbands do with stats, tips... There must be an app for that :-)
I want to lock iPhone when it gets out of range.
I want to autofill passwords to services with these two devices in reach.
All of it is possible today. Except the week battery life.
I wish Apple invents some new type of batteries.
post #111 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggydobby View Post

I would buy an iFridge if/when Apple release it, so to the my objectivity :-)
I think iWatch could and should do many interesting things.
I need to control music on iPhone, but not on iPhone itself.
I want to see reminders when I get to some location, not on iPhone in my pocket, but faster on my wrist.
I want to pay fot things via iWatch NFC. I want to use coupones from iPhone app but on watch, maybe via showing QR code.
I want to track my bio/physicals in much more presentable way that current sportbands do with stats, tips... There must be an app for that :-)
I want to lock iPhone when it gets out of range.
I want to autofill passwords to services with these two devices in reach.
All of it is possible today. Except the week battery life.
I wish Apple invents some new type of batteries.

Forget NFC, Apple is skipping it like the other bag of hurt. Apple is going all out on Bluetooth LE in iOS7.

NFC if not going to happen.

There are 30 million NFC capable android devices. There is no NFC app with more than 5 million downloads, there are 2 with more than 2 million.

post #112 of 148
Nothing new about this just a smaller mobile with a band. Trust me the new iwatch will be round and rotate or something like that
post #113 of 148
It will also be magnetic and able to pop in your pocket and might even charge kenetic.
post #114 of 148
We should save these photos for the 'Before Apple releases the iWatch' section of the lawsuit example.
post #115 of 148
Quote:

C'mon really?
If only watches could tell people "it's time for your sense of humor transplant..." :-)
Edited by rtdunham - 9/2/13 at 6:51am
post #116 of 148
That ain't selling.
post #117 of 148
Quote:

Lol! Sarcasm, right? Imagine the battery life on that (5 seconds?) if the prototype we saw lasts 10 hours.
post #118 of 148
Will there be any success with Shamesuck if it doesn't shamelessly copy Apple ?
post #119 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by oli32 View Post

... your main rival will bring out something that s smoot, elegant and simple. Maybe the only nice design they wgere able to make was the GS3/4. You d have to pay my to wear that thing.
Could we pay you to proofread your posts? :-)
post #120 of 148
Quote:

I think u have overestimated Shamesuck . What u say only applies to Shamesuck shame which is always unexpectedly shameful .
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Prototype Samsung Galaxy Gear smart watch shown off in pictures