or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's rumored 'iPhone 5C' Quick Start guide, retail packaging reportedly photographed

Apple's rumored 'iPhone 5C' Quick Start guide, retail packaging reportedly photographed

post #1 of 66
Two sets of images out of the Far East purportedly show a Quick Start guide with attached SIM card eject tool and packaging for Apple's widely rumored "iPhone 5C," a more affordable plastic handset said to be making its debut in the coming weeks.

iPhone 5C

In all, three photos hit the Web this weekend, one claiming to reveal a batch of pink iPhone 5C units in what appears to be retail packaging, while the other two reportedly show an instruction card and accompanying SIM card tray eject tool.

The first image, posted to Chinese website iapps.im (via nowhereelse.fr) on Friday, claims to picture a number of pink iPhone 5C handsets in their plastic retail casings.

If legitimate, the photo reveals Apple is planning to display the 5C in its Apple Stores as it does the iPod range of products. Currently, iPods are placed under a clear plastic cover with a sticker over their screens depicting what the unit would look like if turned on. The purportedly leaked image of the iPhone 5C packaging is much the same, except the stickers show iOS 7 icons on a pink background assumedly to match the handset's shell color.

The supposed retail case images seem to match up with photos from late July that revealed the white bottom portion of the package, which will likely house earphones, charger, Lightning cable and documentation.

iPhone 5C

On Sunday, a pair of blurry snapshots were uploaded to Chinese microblogging site Sina Weibo showed what looks to be a Quick Start guide printed on a piece of cardboard cut to fit the above mentioned iPhone 5C packages. While not much information can be gleaned from the cards, they do show the same iOS 7 icons placed arranged in an identical array as those seen on the stickers with pink backgrounds.

In addition, a SIM card tray eject tool identical to those Apple supplies with current iPhones in some countries is shown attached to the back of one card. A diagram illustrates how to use the tool, but the corresponding text is illegible due to the image's low quality.

Beyond the iPhone 5C name, the device as shown sports a black faceplate, as was the case in a prior leak that showed a number of iPhones apparently in the midst of quality assurance testing. Previous renders of the device ? which will likely come in an array of colors ? showed it with a white front.

iPhone 5C

Apple is widely expected to launch the lower cost iPhone 5C alongside a next-generation "iPhone 5S" at a special event on Sept. 10, with a majority of rumors pointing to a Sept. 20 release. Most recently, AppleInsider reported that AppleCare employees have been restricted from taking vacations between Sept. 15 through 28, suggesting a launch during that period.
post #2 of 66

Those pink phones are not for me, but they look good enough to eat in those packages.

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #3 of 66
the all-pink background on the 'home screen' is a bit much for me aesthetically. Contrast makes a big difference. I"m also curious about the black on pink. It seems so not in line with the aesthetic design choices we've seen in recent times…

Imagine all that running iOS7 and it starts turning into a visual train wreck.

For illustration, the "how to" cards show the home screen icons on a white background. Much more in line with what I would expect, classier and so much better looking.
post #4 of 66
Apple would not use a pink background to show off their new iOS 7 icons. Fake.
post #5 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

the all-pink background on the 'home screen' is a bit much for me aesthetically. Contrast makes a big difference. I"m also curious about the black on pink. It seems so not in line with the aesthetic design choices we've seen in recent times…

Imagine all that running iOS7 and it starts turning into a visual train wreck.

For illustration, the "how to" cards show the home screen icons on a white background. Much more in line with what I would expect, classier and so much better looking.

Black and Pink is a well-known and well-used colour combination that many find pleasing.  Also, presumably the blue ones will have a sticker with a blue background screen, the green with a  green one, etc. etc. 

Annnnd, I have to say it (because of all those that said I was wrong/crazy to think they might be this way) … more evidence that the iPhone 5c will have all black fronts.  1smile.gif

The likelihood that these are fake is pretty remote at this point anyway. 

post #6 of 66
These look stunning. The black face plates look so much better than the white ones on last year's coloured iPod touch.

There is so much corroborative evidence now I'm just going to assume that these leaks are accurate and representative of the final model.

I was planning to keep my iPhone 4S and iPad 3 another year but these look so appealing. Must resist!
post #7 of 66
Is ejector tool still being made out of that "magic metal" Apple got rights to?
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
post #8 of 66

Dear Apple,

Welcome to a 60% share of market profits.

Sincerely,

Me.

post #9 of 66
Looks surprisingly good.

I wonder if Apple will ship each unit with a plain solid color background matching the backplane as seen on the sticker?

That would be nice as the whole interface of iOS 7 will pick up that color scheme so that the entire phone's interface matches the color of the phone.
post #10 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Black and Pink is a well-known and well-used colour combination that many find pleasing.  Also, presumably the blue ones will have a sticker with a blue background screen, the green with a  green one, etc. etc. 

Annnnd, I have to say it (because of all those that said I was wrong/crazy to think they might be this way) … more evidence that the iPhone 5c will have all black fronts.  1smile.gif

The likelihood that these are fake is pretty remote at this point anyway. 

Another point you made in a past thread about Apple choosing black fronts to contrasts with the iPod Touches is making a lot is sense as well.

People won't accidentally buy an iPhone 5C when they wanted a Touch because they will look completely different in all of Apple's marketing material.
post #11 of 66

Strawberry milkshake.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #12 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Two sets of images out of the Far East purportedly show a Quick Start guide with attached SIM card ejector tool and packaging for Apple's widely rumored "iPhone 5C," a more affordable plastic handset said to be making its debut in the coming weeks.

iPhone 5C

In all, three photos hit the Web this weekend, one claiming to reveal a batch of pink iPhone 5C units in what appears to be retail packaging, while the other two reportedly show an instruction card and accompanying SIM card tray ejector tool.

I'm glad AI is finally calling this color pink an not trying to convince us it's pastel red. I'm thinking all of those nasty looking "red" phones were really this nice hot pink color. Maybe we will see an actually product red model next week but those previous leaks were pink not red.
post #13 of 66

Wow. I hope these are fake. The clash of colors is a bloody nightmare... Like a skin graft with buttons on it.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #14 of 66

I think that the 5C will be a big hit because of the price and the multiple colors and the fact the the design of the 5S is a little stale - its derivative of the original iPhone4 design -gold plating whoop di-do.

post #15 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

I'm glad AI is finally calling this color pink an not trying to convince us it's pastel red. I'm thinking all of those nasty looking "red" phones were really this nice hot pink color. Maybe we will see an actually product red model next week but those previous leaks were pink not red.

It's the color of Nestlé Quik.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #16 of 66
If this is legit I hope it looks better in person as that background reminds me of pepto bismol.

I actually saw this photo several days ago and was hoping none of the rumor sites picked up on it because it looked so fake. Even Mark Gurman from 9to5Mac made fun of it on his twitter account. But then sure enough Sunday night he throws it up on 9to5Mac's website and when they throw something up, every other rumor site runs with it. Sigh.
post #17 of 66

RIP midrange Androids!

post #18 of 66
Looking closely at the calendar icons, you can see the number 10 on them which means that if these are real, then the September 10th launch date is confirmed.
post #19 of 66
Originally Posted by ricazoid View Post
Looking closely at the calendar icons, you can see the number 10 on them which means that if these are real, then the September 10th launch date is confirmed.

Why? That hasn't ever happened with any other model.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #20 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Well the iPhone 4 was announced on Monday June 7th 2010, the calendar on the iPhone 4 packaging and press material shows Monday/7.

But the 4S packaging still shows the same date (7) even though it was released on October 4th, and the iPhone 5 packaging shows 11 and was unveiled September 12th.

As for the 10 on the calendar icon of the iPhone 5c sticker, it matches what Apple used in all iOS 7 pre-release material up to now.

post #21 of 66
It's definitely more realistic now, though did you notice the stickers on top are different on some of them? Some of the apps are moved around.... Wouldn't they be all the same?
post #22 of 66
Wow. They really are going to call it the 5C. "C" as in Cheap. The competition is going to have a field day with this ...
post #23 of 66
I think in the intended markets, seeing a line of these in the different colours will be highly attractive. I know at least one 11 year old who will be sorry she got an iPhone for her birthday a couple of weeks ago instead of waiting a few more weeks or months.
post #24 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbit View Post

It's definitely more realistic now, though did you notice the stickers on top are different on some of them? Some of the apps are moved around.... Wouldn't they be all the same?

Which ones are different? All I can see are some upside-down ones.

post #25 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

It's the color of Nestlé Quik.

Is this from the last time you drank NesQuik? I hope that picture wasn't taken by you just as you decided to post it!

post #26 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by LighteningKid View Post

Which ones are different? All I can see are some upside-down ones.

Yes you are correct. It was hard to make out the icons on my phone screen.
post #27 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Wow. They really are going to call it the 5C. "C" as in Cheap. The competition is going to have a field day with this ...

Oh, who cares about an "S" or a "C" added to the name. Whatever, they'll sell a ton of 'em.

Still wondering if the graphics have been massaged and refined much, much more than what I've seen previously. I really don't want to see a giant backward step on their approach to UI graphics. I refuse to believe it until I see it for myself.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #28 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by LighteningKid View Post

Is this from the last time you drank NesQuik? I hope that picture wasn't taken by you just as you decided to post it!

LOL. I think Abe Lincoln posted it.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #29 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Is ejector tool still being made out of that "magic metal" Apple got rights to?

They have always been made with "liquid metal". So your answer is yes.

post #30 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

It would look terrible in use, but it helps overcome the problem of not being able to show the entire back of the unit. You cannot make a mistake as to which color the phone is. I'm quite positive it will have the same what background we see everywhere else as the default.

What is interesting though is that this would not work for a Black phone. But they don't have that problem if these are only to be bright colors and white with black only being for 5S.

This is the sort of in your face use of color Apple is known for with their iPod line and advertising. It isn't that bad when you understand why it would be this way.

post #31 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phone-UI-Guy View Post

It would look terrible in use, but it helps overcome the problem of not being able to show the entire back of the unit. You cannot make a mistake as to which color the phone is. I'm quite positive it will have the same what background we see everywhere else as the default.

What is interesting though is that this would not work for a Black phone. But they don't have that problem if these are only to be bright colors and white with black only being for 5S.

This is the sort of in your face use of color Apple is known for with their iPod line and advertising. It isn't that bad when you understand why it would be this way.

It looks like there won't be a black iPhone 5C.

The black case 'leaks' that we've seen have FCC markings, and from what I've concluded after doing some research is that the pictures of 5C cases with FCC markings that we've seen until now are fake. They show the wrong model number (same as iPhone 5 A1429) and have ugly embedded fake plastic screws on each side of the lightning connector slot.

The ones we've seen without FCC markings don't include a black version.

post #32 of 66
Ever since the first leaks of the colored plastic back plates with the black Apple logo, I thought it made much more sense that the front plates would also be black. And according to these new "finished" and packaged pics, it seems the 5C's will actually sport black fronts.
I find black to be aesthetically more pleasant with the neon colored backs than white plates. Nevertheless, I wonder how the oh-so-white iOS 7 will actually look like on the 5C.
We'll find out if we love them or hate them in a little more that a week's time...
post #33 of 66
Three things make me think these pictures are fake:
- the phones are on while packed.
- the phones are pink, while the more credible pictures always show white, red, blue, yellow, and green.
- the fronts are black, while Apple shows iOS 7 design always against white fronts. Besides, I think iOS 7 blends more with a white front.
post #34 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doxxic View Post

- the phones are pink, while the more credible pictures always show white, red, blue, yellow, and green.
- the fronts are black, while Apple shows iOS 7 design always against white fronts. Besides, I think iOS 7 blends more with a white front.

Yeah if it does turn out to be a fake, and we may know soon, then it's a pretty elaborate hoax. OTOH, if this really is a 5c color choice, ugh.

This is how Apple presents iOS 7:
http://www.apple.com/ios/ios7/
Much classier.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #35 of 66
Quote:

Awkward

lol.gif

post #36 of 66

Whoever took the photo had their white balance uncalibrated, looks like it was taken under a striplight, often they come out with a yellow tint, in this case - pink!

post #37 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

It would be  a lot of work to fake this.

Quote:

1) The phones are off. Thats a picture of the front screen.

2) The background picture which is showing the icons is pink. The phone can be red.

3) The fronts will be black.

I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #38 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by VL-Tone View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Well the iPhone 4 was announced on Monday June 7th 2010, the calendar on the iPhone 4 packaging and press material shows Monday/7.

But the 4S packaging still shows the same date (7) even though it was released on October 4th, and the iPhone 5 packaging shows 11 and was unveiled September 12th.

As for the 10 on the calendar icon of the iPhone 5c sticker, it matches what Apple used in all iOS 7 pre-release material up to now.

Very perceptive, but he specifically wrote launch date. You're referring to announcement date.
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
post #39 of 66

Shame we are losing the silver edge on the 5C.

post #40 of 66
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple's rumored 'iPhone 5C' Quick Start guide, retail packaging reportedly photographed
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's rumored 'iPhone 5C' Quick Start guide, retail packaging reportedly photographed