or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: First video of working 'iPhone 5C' shows off Web browsing capabilities

Rumor: First video of working 'iPhone 5C' shows off Web browsing capabilities - Page 2

post #41 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Something seems strange with these most recent leaks. The device almost looks like its not completely put together; like someone could completely pop the back off. I can't imagine Apple is going to start making phones with removable batteries or anything like that.

Unlikely. A user removable battery means having a shell around the battery to protect it from puncture and thus possible thermal events. And adding mechanics to pop out/hold in the battery. Both would require either making the phone bigger or reducing the battery size. And thus the life. Battery life is the one spec most folks get, which is why Apple doesn't like to tamper with it.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #42 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by murman View Post

Its september already, did Apple send out press invites to the special event, didn't catch that news with the official invite, its just next week.

Sept 1 was a Sunday, Sept 2 a bank holiday. Both days no one is likely to be at the office.and this is not something they would leave to an automated script. So, assuming the rumors about the 10th are true, tomorrow in the first likely day for an invite to go out.

post #43 of 71
That's a nice red iPhone 5 case in the video.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #44 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcstarheel View Post

Turn on Airplane Mode (wifi gets turned off). Go to settings and turn on wifi manually.

It's running iOS 7 so don't you mean go into control center.

post #45 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Something seems strange with these most recent leaks. The device almost looks like its not completely put together; like someone could completely pop the back off. I can't imagine Apple is going to start making phones with removable batteries or anything like that. I still question most of these leaks because I don't trust anything that shows up on some Chinese website.

9to5 and some others think this particular leak is simply an iPhone 5 in a red case.

But 

i don't see how the real 5C won't look like a disjointed iPhone 5 in a case. There's no chrome ring like the 3G/3GS had to unify the plastic and glass portions, so I'm thinking even the final 5C will look awkward at first. Maybe it'll look better in person?

post #46 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Unlikely. A user removable battery means having a shell around the battery to protect it from puncture and thus possible thermal events. And adding mechanics to pop out/hold in the battery. Both would require either making the phone bigger or reducing the battery size. And thus the life. Battery life is the one spec most folks get, which is why Apple doesn't like to tamper with it.

The 5C is quite a bit thicker than the 5 though, so maybe Apple does plan to feature a user removable battery? That would make sense for China and India as well.

post #47 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carthusia View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by murman View Post

Its september already, did Apple send out press invites to the special event, didn't catch that news with the official invite, its just next week.
It's usually just 7 days in advance, right? We should be seeing reports of invitations maybe tomorrow for the September 10th event.

What September 10th event? As long as there's no official word it's all still a rumour.

Edit pipped by Charlituna
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
post #48 of 71
I hope the actual phone looks at least as nice as the mockup.
post #49 of 71
If this video is real, it means iOS 7 GM is already out. Usually the rumours are very accurate on when Apple finishes their iOS7 GM. From what I know, correct me if I am wrong, the phones are manufactured way before the GM is out, and then they are installed with the iOS GM when it is out...
post #50 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

I hate these leaks. And wishing, on the main day, the iPhones 5[C,S] should look very very very radically different. Industry goes WOWWW!  I really wish.

How "radically different" can an iPhone really look, considering it's a minimalistic design wrapping a 4" screen, needs a home button, and has to keep functionality in mind while being non-offensive for hundreds of millions of people in every region of the world? Some of you live in a fantasy land where you want companies to make decisions and products based on fiction, instead of what makes sense and is practical. Should the phone look like an octagon? Or have a massive hole in the middle? Or be made out of some weird material, just to be "radically different" for the sake of it? I don't get it. I'm sure Apple would make it "radically different" if it made sense to do so, and if would then be a better product for the hundreds of millions of potential buyers, not to excite some nerd. 

Oh, and if you "hated" these leaks, you wouldn't be visiting an Apple rumor site every single day. Some of you people are extremely strange and nonsensical. 

Oh really?   

In Steve Jobs reign, how many leaks did you see?  

You are nonsense here. Sorry, you are new-sense here expecting that leaks and Apple are interchangeable. Come on bro!

post #51 of 71
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikilok View Post

They did do something radically different. iOS 7 and Biometrics. Those are radically different but practical stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

I hate these leaks. And wishing, on the main day, the iPhones 5[C,S] should look very very very radically different. Industry goes WOWWW!  I really wish.

For a 50 IQ point increase, name the website you posted this on.

Not your Best. Try again! 

post #52 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Video doesn't play for me even with ad blocking, cookie tracking etc. turned off. 

Takes a while before it actually plays.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #53 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

The 5C is quite a bit thicker than the 5 though, so maybe Apple does plan to feature a user removable battery? That would make sense for China and India as well.

It's thicker because the plastic case is reinforced with metal (so much for plastic being stronger than metal...). There's no additional room inside.

Apple used aluninum/glass in the iPhone 4-5 because it was the only mass-produceable materials that enabled them to make it so thin and still structurally strong (though some would argue that the iPhone 5 is not that structurally strong). By using the same internals as the 5 and a plastic casing they had no choice of making it thicker.

post #54 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

9to5 and some others think this particular leak is simply an iPhone 5 in a red case.

It's interesting that there hasn't been much discussion of cases yet, but I've been wondering what all the case manufacturers are going to do if the iPhone 5c takes off?  It appears to be designed to look the same as a regular iPhone in a plastic/rubber case, and it doesn't seem to need one of it's own.  

I'm sure there are some companies out there already manufacturing iPhone 5c cases, but I think you'd have to be foolish to buy one really.  Another factor is that if you've spent the extra money for a top of the line iPhone, do you really want to put it in a case that makes it look so much like the cheap one?  It's more likely you'd want to show off the device itself.  I think the rubber case makers are kind of up a creek a little bit this year.  

Perhaps they should switch to decorative vinyl "wraps" like the stuff they put adverts on busses with.  

post #55 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by VL-Tone View Post

It's thicker because the plastic case is reinforced with metal (so much for plastic being stronger than metal...). There's no additional room inside ….

I don't think you can say this with any kind of real assurance that it's true.  It seems more like a supposition on your part.

It's 0.8mm thicker, and the internal components seem to be smaller by a good deal this year also.  Personally, I don't see Apple ever doing a removable battery, (and if they did we'd already know it because there would be one of those silly doors in the back), but it's entirely possible the battery might be of a significant'y larger capacity.  

post #56 of 71
Originally Posted by stylorouge View Post
I think Apple is running out of ideas.

Come off it.

Originally Posted by just1ed@gmail.com View Post
From what I know, correct me if I am wrong, the phones are manufactured way before the GM is out, and then they are installed with the iOS GM when it is out...

So… under that rationale, what makes you think the GM is out? They could easily be running older software.

Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

In Steve Jobs reign, how many leaks did you see?  

Exactly as many.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

post #57 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

For a 50 IQ point increase, name the website you posted this on.

Yes, but that's beside the point now because even the mainstream press like WSJ and NYT now report on Apple rumors. The days when Apple can surprise is customers is mostly over, although they kept that new Mac Pro hidden from the entire rumor mill!

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #58 of 71
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post
Yes, but that's beside the point now because even the mainstream press like WSJ and NYT now report on Apple rumors.

AS FACT. And that needs to be illegal. Keep the world appraised, sure, but disclaimers as to their uncertain nature should be legally required.

post #59 of 71
Quote:

Am I the only one that finds the iPhone 5C ugly? They could have designed it like the rear of the new iPod at least or similar to that. I think Apple is running out of ideas.

Yes you are. No they couldn't. No they aren't. Go away now?

post #60 of 71
Quote:

I don't think you can say this with any kind of real assurance that it's true.  It seems more like a supposition on your part.

It's 0.8mm thicker, and the internal components seem to be smaller by a good deal this year also.  Personally, I don't see Apple ever doing a removable battery, (and if they did we'd already know it because there would be one of those silly doors in the back), but it's entirely possible the battery might be of a significant'y larger capacity.  

You're right it's a supposition from my part, but I don't see how it could make sense for Apple to give more battery life to their cheap model than the 5S.

And not that it adds any more credence to my theories, the 5C is 1.38mm thicker than the 5, not 0.8mm (according to on video caliper measurements).

BTW did we see the motherboard for the 5C? I remember seeing the 5S one but not the 5C. While Apple likes to spend some time making components/boards smaller, they may have not done so for the 5C motherboard to save some of their margins.

post #61 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

AS FACT. And that needs to be illegal. Keep the world appraised, sure, but disclaimers as to their uncertain nature should be legally required.

I'm pleased to see this clearly labeled as RUMOR and not misconstrued as fact in AppleInsider. Hooray for truth!

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #62 of 71
Quote:

Am I the only one that finds the iPhone 5C ugly? They could have designed it like the rear of the new iPod at least or similar to that. I think Apple is running out of ideas.

No, Apple isn't "running out of ideas" The difference between Apple's idea and those of other companies is that Apple filters what they bring to market, and ideas stay ideas until they can be executed perfectly and enhance the experience of the majority of the products buyers in a tangible way- unlike everyone else who just throw shit at the wall to see what sticks.  Just because this looks like an iPhone, doesn't mean Apple is running out of ideas. But nice troll. 

Edited by Slurpy - 9/2/13 at 12:35pm
post #63 of 71
Quote:

It's thicker because the plastic case is reinforced with metal (so much for plastic being stronger than metal...). There's no additional room inside.

Apple used aluninum/glass in the iPhone 4-5 because it was the only mass-produceable materials that enabled them to make it so thin and still structurally strong (though some would argue that the iPhone 5 is not that structurally strong). By using the same internals as the 5 and a plastic casing they had no choice of making it thicker.

That metal reinforcement may just be EMF shielding and/or heat sink, for all we know, right?

Where's the aluminum in the iPhone 4? All I see is glass and stainless steel. The glass is pretty thick on both front and back, by the way. On the 5, aluminum allowed for strength and thinness, though, that's for sure.
post #64 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Wouldn't airplane mode kill all data connections including wifi?

Correct it turns off all radios.

post #65 of 71
Quote:

You're right it's a supposition from my part, but I don't see how it could make sense for Apple to give more battery life to their cheap model than the 5S.

And not that it adds any more credence to my theories, the 5C is 1.38mm thicker than the 5, not 0.8mm (according to on video caliper measurements).

BTW did we see the motherboard for the 5C? I remember seeing the 5S one but not the 5C. While Apple likes to spend some time making components/boards smaller, they may have not done so for the 5C motherboard to save some of their margins.

All I've seen is the drawings/plans that were floating around a few months ago and they said 0.8mm thicker, but are you sure about that 1.38?  that's a huge difference.  

You are right about the motherboards, I was confusing the 5S with the (presumably) 5 parts that are inside the 5c.  The 5s motherboard seems narrower by quite a bit, probably due to the smaller process giving hope for an increased battery size in that model.  The 5c seems to be significantly thicker (whichever measurement is correct), leaving hope for more battery there as well.  

I think they are trying to design not just a cheaper iPhone, but a better "mass market" phone, which means more durable, and greater battery life as well.  We won't know until it's announced, but even an extra millimetre of battery size would translate to a large increase in battery life.  I wouldn't be surprised at all to see battery life increase by 30-40% for both models although I agree it might not.  

post #66 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

That metal reinforcement may just be EMF shielding and/or heat sink, for all we know, right?

Where's the aluminum in the iPhone 4? All I see is glass and stainless steel. The glass is pretty thick on both front and back, by the way. On the 5, aluminum allowed for strength and thinness, though, that's for sure.

The iPhone 4/4S didn't seem to need EMF shielding on the back, like you wrote : Where's the aluminum in the iPhone 4?

The metal in the back must certainly help at least a little with the structural strength. 

If the iPhone 4 had the smallest components of the iPhone 5 it could've been presumably thinner than the 5C.

Anyway it's just speculation, my original point was that the choice of plastic + the aluminum reenforcement (or shielding if you believe so) made it thicker than the 5/5S, not because they wanted to put a bigger battery.

post #67 of 71
Quote:

All I've seen is the drawings/plans that were floating around a few months ago and they said 0.8mm thicker, but are you sure about that 1.38?  that's a huge difference.  

You are right about the motherboards, I was confusing the 5S with the (presumably) 5 parts that are inside the 5c.  The 5s motherboard seems narrower by quite a bit, probably due to the smaller process giving hope for an increased battery size in that model.  The 5c seems to be significantly thicker (whichever measurement is correct), leaving hope for more battery there as well.  

I think they are trying to design not just a cheaper iPhone, but a better "mass market" phone, which means more durable, and greater battery life as well.  We won't know until it's announced, but even an extra millimetre of battery size would translate to a large increase in battery life.  I wouldn't be surprised at all to see battery life increase by 30-40% for both models although I agree it might not.  

The recently released videos with the 5C scratch test show a caliper measurement of 8.98mm. Of course this may be a fake case, but these are not FCC marked (FCC marked are the fake ones I think).

The only way I could see Apple wanting to put a bigger battery in the 5C is to match the 5S battery life which may be improved because of the A7, which the 5C won't have.

Maybe putting a slightly bigger battery in the 5C could compensate for it using the A6, which could be cheaper than trying to churn out twice as many A7 for the launch.

post #68 of 71
Quote:

… The only way I could see Apple wanting to put a bigger battery in the 5C is to match the 5S battery life which may be improved because of the A7, which the 5C won't have …

Except you are ignoring the part where there is actually significantly more room inside the 5s because of the smaller logic board.  Do you think this space will be just left empty?  

post #69 of 71

Except you are ignoring the part where there is actually significantly more room inside the 5s because of the smaller logic board.  Do you think this space will be just left empty?  

Yes. What space? We haven't seen any internal pictures of a semi-assembled device yet.

post #70 of 71
It looks cheap.
post #71 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by TogetherWeStand View Post

WiFi is off when in airplane mode until now, why change it?

You can re-enable wifi after enabling Airplane Mode. This lets you use inflight Wifi, as well as wifi while traveling abroad. It's not new functionality.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Rumor: First video of working 'iPhone 5C' shows off Web browsing capabilities
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: First video of working 'iPhone 5C' shows off Web browsing capabilities