or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iPhone grows to 43% share among US smartphones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's iPhone grows to 43% share among US smartphones - Page 2

post #41 of 93

I will probable buy a 5c then upgrade to large iPhone whenever it comes available.

post #42 of 93
so wait.. Android has a 51pct share in the US, yet the iPhone is more popular at 43pct? YEAH OK.. Keep the bogus news coming AppleInsider.
post #43 of 93
Originally Posted by deepen03 View Post
so wait.. Android has a 51pct share in the US, yet the iPhone is more popular at 43pct? YEAH OK.. Keep the bogus news coming AppleInsider.

 

Perhaps you should read about adoption rates. You want bogus news? How about how Android is 80% of all shipping phones and therefore is magically 80% marketshare, as was reported by several newspapers and never retracted, corrected, or apologized for?

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #44 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepen03 View Post

so wait.. Android has a 51pct share in the US, yet the iPhone is more popular at 43pct? YEAH OK.. Keep the bogus news coming AppleInsider.

You do know there are only 3 iPhones versus 3000 different Androids right?

So yes the iPhone is more popular.
post #45 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post


You do know there are only 3 iPhones versus 3000 different Androids right?

So yes the iPhone is more popular.

51pct is more than 43pct.. and so what? That's Apple's fault and anyway the iPhone gives choices of the iPhone 4, 4S or 5 in multiple configurations so the fewer phone choices argument is not true.

post #46 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepen03 View Post

51pct is more than 43pct.. and so what? That's Apple's fault and anyway the iPhone gives choices of the iPhone 4, 4S or 5 in multiple configurations so the fewer phone choices argument is not true.

As I said 3 phones are whipping nearly 3000 Android phones asses. If you combined HTC One, Samsung Galaxy S4, and the Moto Flagship they still would compare to iPhone sales in the US.

The majority of the 51% Android phones are Cricket and Boost Mobile phones anyway. If you look at the carriers iPhone holds more than 50% share on each.
post #47 of 93
Originally Posted by deepen03 View Post
51pct is more than 43pct

 

+7% is more than -7%. By 14%, actually.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #48 of 93
post #49 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmadave View Post

Microsoft is buying Nokia's handset business.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2013/09/02/business/ap-us-microsoft-nokia.html?src=busln

Good for them....

Honestly if Ballmer was still going to be the long term CEO this would be bad news all around but maybe the next in line CEO can make the best of Nokia.
post #50 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post


As I said 3 phones are whipping nearly 3000 Android phones asses. If you combined HTC One, Samsung Galaxy S4, and the Moto Flagship they still would compare to iPhone sales in the US.

The majority of the 51% Android phones are Cricket and Boost Mobile phones anyway. If you look at the carriers iPhone holds more than 50% share on each.

excuses.. excuses.

 

Of course the iPhone would hold more share as one type of device when Apple gives iPhone 4's out for free on contract, discounts the 4S to $49 and sells the iPhone 5 for $99 on contract for the past few months.. bottom line, Android is at 51pct vs. Apple's 43pct, and that is only in the US. The Android lead globally vs. the iPhone is HUGE. and majority are Cricket and Boost Mobile phones? there have been at least 100M devices sold of the Xperia Z, Galaxy S4 and HTC One (the three latest Android flagship phones) in 2013. Apple is losing iPhone customers left and right. I had an iPhone 3G, 4 and 5. I sold the 5, got an S4, and I am never buying another Apple product EVER.

post #51 of 93
Originally Posted by deepen03 View Post
excuses.. excuses.

 

No, try again.


Of course the iPhone would hold more share as one type of device when Apple gives iPhone 4's out for free on contract, discounts the 4S to $49 and sells the iPhone 5 for $99 on contract for the past few months

 

Apple doesn't, no. And so why are all of Apple's phones in the top sold above all the others from everyone else?


…bottom line, Android is at 51pct vs. Apple's 43pct…

 

You keep ignoring it, so I'll keep repeating it until you do. What part of +7% and -7% was confusing?


Apple is losing iPhone customers left and right.

 

This is a blatant lie, backed with no proof, and disproven by every single piece of information everyone has. Shut up.


…I am never buying another Apple product EVER.

 

So shut up and go away.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #52 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Pie chart wars

I'm sure when Apple signs up China Mobile and spits out the iPhone 5C or whatever they are going to call it, we'll see increased market share in China, India and other countries.  

 

I just wish Apple would release a larger screen model within the next 6 months. But I have 5 months to go on my 2 year contract, so iOS 7 will hold me over a little while longer.

post #53 of 93

Apple is not losing iPhone costumers. Those figures show, that worldwide, new smartphone useres are more likely to buy an Android powered device.

 

Most likeley because they are more affordable.

 

In my opinion (and I don't want to do Tim's job here) they should stay right there, improve the iPhone more and more. Make sure to offer the best device out there on the market and make it seamlessly work with all the services (Siri, iCloud, iTunes) ... and you're good. Anyone who bought "just the first best smartphone at a random shop" and who really learns how a smartphone can enhance your daily communication, will end up buying an iPhone sooner or later. I guess that's what we are seeing right now in the US market.

 

And if that is any indication, other markets will follow. Android will end up in the hands of most "first time smartphone buyers", but eventually a lot of them chose an iPhone for their next phone.

 

About Germany: as some have previously noted, Germans are very price sensitive and are more likely to buy a "cheap" Android device. Samsung is also very popular here. But I see that changing in the future too. With a more affordable iPhone and some more experience on what a smartphone should do, the choice will more likely be an iPhone for the next device someone wants to buy.

post #54 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenix View Post

Apple is not losing iPhone costumers. Those figures show, that worldwide, new smartphone useres are more likely to buy an Android powered device.

 

Most likeley because they are more affordable.

 

In my opinion (and I don't want to do Tim's job here) they should stay right there, improve the iPhone more and more. Make sure to offer the best device out there on the market and make it seamlessly work with all the services (Siri, iCloud, iTunes) ... and you're good. Anyone who bought "just the first best smartphone at a random shop" and who really learns how a smartphone can enhance your daily communication, will end up buying an iPhone sooner or later. I guess that's what we are seeing right now in the US market.

 

And if that is any indication, other markets will follow. Android will end up in the hands of most "first time smartphone buyers", but eventually a lot of them chose an iPhone for their next phone.

 

About Germany: as some have previously noted, Germans are very price sensitive and are more likely to buy a "cheap" Android device. Samsung is also very popular here. But I see that changing in the future too. With a more affordable iPhone and some more experience on what a smartphone should do, the choice will more likely be an iPhone for the next device someone wants to buy.

Germans are price sensitive and they spit out cars like Mercedes Benz, Audi, BMTroubleU, Porsche?  Audio mfg like Acapella, Adam Audio, Bermester, Coda, German Physiks, MBL and many others?  Oh, OK.  I guess.   Maybe they want a large screen phone which Apple doesn't make.  I run into a lot of people that want a large screen phone, including myself, and the only way to get one is buying an Android or Windows phone with a 4.3 inch or larger screen.  


I have been tempted, but I hate the Android OS, but I'll wait for Apple to get off their can and get the right product out to market.  I give them another 6 months before they do it.

post #55 of 93

@drblank

In my eyes there is no contradiction in being price sensitive on the customer side and producing higher quality products.

 

And even though I have no scientific report to back that theory, I am speaking from my own experiences. I am German, living here for all my life. The main thinking here is not that Android is better or that iOS is deeply controlled by some AppStore rules or has a tiny screen. It's a price thing. People buy Samsung or other devices because Apple is seen as too expensive.

 

And if you really want to translate the car theory to smartphones, I bet the ratio of Porsche/BMW/Mercedes in relation to the rest (Ford, Volkswagen, Toyota, Peugot,..) out here on the strees would also be like 13 % vs. 87 %

post #56 of 93

1) Apple isn't in competition with Android in the first place.  They are only competing with a small, tiny fraction of Android-driven phones.  IOW, someone who is only going to buy a very cheap Android phone in the first place is only concerned about price.  Apple can't -- and shouldn't -- compete with that, anymore than they should have tried competing with netbooks, or whatever.

 

2) The way some people here seem to completely misunderstand both economics and statistics (not that I pretend to be an expert in either) really depresses me.

 

3) I've thought since people started to discuss the "5C" (or whatever it will be called) that it would be a bad move for Apple.  I don't see the upside, on any medium-to-long term basis for Apple here.

 

4) I'll be more than happy to admit how I was wrong if it turns out that I am.

post #57 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonkoTheSane View Post

 

Wait until the 4.7" geek watch is considered standard....

/s

 

You laugh, but geeks are a really quirky and vocal submarket, and they think they speak for everyone.

 

In all the decades of consumer electronics, there's been a push for smaller and ever more portable and long lasting electronics. Like all those years when portable music meant Walkmans, the most expensive Sony Walkmans were the ones that were smallest and most feature-filled: the $300 cassette players that were barely larger than the cassette tape itself, whereas all the "bricks" were selling for $49. And before that, the transistor radio and portable stereos. We saw the same trend in cell phones during the 1990s and 2000s when the most expensive cell phones were consistently the smallest and thinnest. Cheap phones were big and heavy bricks. Same trend in PDAs: the thinnest Palm was the Palm V, and it cost more than the chunkier Palms. Same thing with laptops, where thin and light (before MacBook Air) models commanded premiums, like some of the earlier Sony VAIOs, just because they were unusually portable, not because they had the fastest chip or largest hard drives.

 

The geeks have decided that 5-inches is the right screen size, and they get really mad if you don't agree with them. Then they argue that anyone who disagrees with them will change their minds if Apple suddenly goes stupid and starts chasing Samsung and HTC and Motorola in the screen size wars. The iPhone 5 is a balancing act between screen size, portability (size and weight), and battery life. I think they struck the right balance, for the majority of people. I personally value portability and battery life more than the geeks. I'm not saying that Apple won't adjust these things in the future, but I trust them to not fall into the trap of oneupmanship in one area (screen size) while making compromises in other areas (weight, size and battery life).

Are you really that obtuse?

 

Yes, I get that you do not read books or documents on your iPhone, or play Videos, or play games or even browse the web. You only make calls and send sms. That's ok and fair. But if you do those things, you think that is the best experience possible based on ignorance, because you never tried a phone like a HTC one. 

 

It is just a better phone for those things, because it has a bigger and much better (on every way you look at it) screen. Who here is saying that Apple should use a 5" screen and go up every year? Are we retarded or typiucal s4 buyers? People only say that a 4.7" (more or less, could be 4.5 or 4.8 or 4.9.) iPhone has everything to be a much better iPhone for millions and millions of costumers. For the other millions, the regular iPhone is perfect.

 

A bigger iPhone could have much better battery life (as the note proves), great build quality (HTC one), better for almost everything (as the HTC one proves) and Apple itself can fix the software, with iOS.

 

It's win win. But of course, you and others like you don't care. You keep making stupid arguments like "smaller phones sell more" while ignoring the reason. It's because they cheap trash, sherlock. Cheap trash outsells high end on everything, watson, be it cars, computers, phones, condons. and "battery life", because you are ignorant. The galaxy note has what? twice the battery life of the iPhone 5 on every test? what about the razr Maxx?

 

The problem is that a lot of users here, you included, are blinded by Apple and have a heart failure just with the thought that Apple, has a company, is doing something wrong and being stupid. Worse, you thing that "if it is not Apple way, he must mean the samsung way". F*ck samsung. No one is talking about 5.5 or 6" phones.

 

Basically, if companies like HTC can do it, there's no excuse for Apple. They are only holding it back for some great event, because they can get away with it, because costumers like you.

 

We all lose.

post #58 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Basically, if companies like HTC can do it, there's no excuse for Apple. They are only holding it back for some great event, because they can get away with it, because costumers like you.

 

We all lose.

 

Wow.  That post was really offensive.

 

Maybe I don't WANT an HTC One?  Maybe I don't need a friggin' bigger screen than my iPhone5?

 

You're worse than the people you are criticizing.  And frankly, I think the worse thing Apple could do fragment their iPhone offerings (even more than they are apparently doing right now).  It affects the brand adversely.  

post #59 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Germans are price sensitive and they spit out cars like Mercedes Benz, Audi, BMTroubleU, Porsche?  Audio mfg like Acapella, Adam Audio, Bermester, Coda, German Physiks, MBL and many others?  Oh, OK.  I guess.   Maybe they want a large screen phone which Apple doesn't make.  I run into a lot of people that want a large screen phone, including myself, and the only way to get one is buying an Android or Windows phone with a 4.3 inch or larger screen.  


I have been tempted, but I hate the Android OS, but I'll wait for Apple to get off their can and get the right product out to market.  I give them another 6 months before they do it.

You should try it.

 

While I'm certain that it is inferior to iOS, if you use Google's core apps (Play music, chrome, gmail, Maps, Drive and the pure awesomeness that is Google keep) and take advantage of their ecosystem, + root your device and "clean" the junk and use Nova launcher on a nice jelly bean device, you will see how great Android is. It trully is great, even if not at iOS level.

 

If you marry that with something like an HTC one, and if a big screen is really what you want, I'm sure than only a similar sized iPhone would make you go back.

 

Yes, OEMs f*ck things up, but the bottom line is that right now I see my android phone as something awesome. Clearly the iPhone 4 is not worthy it, and the 4s costs 3x more.

 

The 5 is not for me, despite being for sure ther best smartphone around. But I know that a 4.5 to 5" iPhone would be much better and would make a shitty vodafone contract worthwile. Maybe it will happen when stupid ignorant apple fanboys and stupid ignorant android fanboys no longer outnumber rational people, that base their knowledge on experience and logic.

 

Make no mistake. Google isn't Microsoft.

post #60 of 93
The iPhone in germany is already kind of "out". 
People think very cost sensitive over here. If they get similar hardware and software they will always choose the cheaper one. For every guy saying "cool you have an iPhone 5", there are 10 others who ask me "wow do you have too much money to throw out of the window?"
 
And another important thing is, all these "new" features of the last iPhones are a bad joke tbh.
I've never used Facetime and iMessage, because 90% of my friends have android or feature phones, especially my close friends and my gf. In the US these features are very nice and useful I guess, but as its a closed system it's useless over here.
Same for Maps, even after reporting all the mistakes in my area, all the shops and restaurants that closed 10 years ago are still shown on the map. It seems to me that they only corrected Maps in the US. 
 
I love all the social ideas that apple has as Facetime, photo sharing, now icloud docs etc. But in the end I will never use them because no one else wants or can use them. So back to gmail and facebook, even though I hate both of them...
post #61 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Wow.  That post was really offensive.

 

Maybe I don't WANT an HTC One?  Maybe I don't need a friggin' bigger screen than my iPhone5?

 

You're worse than the people you are criticizing.  And frankly, I think the worse thing Apple could do fragment their iPhone offerings (even more than they are apparently doing right now).  It affects the brand adversely.  

See? Looks like I wasn't offensive enough. What I want doesn't matter. What YOU want is also irrelevant. Why are you and other posters like you so "selfish" and with short-vision?Who cares about "you"?

 

Millions (that's the number that apple cares. millions) and millions of people love their 4" iPhone. That's great and understandable. Amazing size for 1 hand operation. Fantastic device, the best offering right now.

 

But millions and millions (in equal if not bigger numbers, just do the math) love the huge advantages a big screen gives them. They are willing to pay more than you pay for an iPhone, have a pentile screen, an OS that despite great is not iOS-level, just because of the natural and obvious advantages of a bigger screen.

 

The thing with the HTC one is that it only "loses" on the OS vs OS, and the difference is not that big, frankly. It has similar or better build quality, camera, sound, etc... But it absolutly trounces the iphone on screen quality, just like the note trounces the iPhone on battery life. So screen quality and battery life are not a factor against bigger phones. stupidity is.

 

Apple already fragments their iPhone offering by offering the pathetic iphone 4 for 400 € and the outdated 4s for 550€ (outdated screen, connector). They also fragment the mac ecosystem by offereing the pathetic cMBP line, especially the 13". Is the iPod classic worth mentioning?

 

This isn't about fragmentation. Another iPhone line would bring even more growth and power to iOS, especially in the premium segments. And that's what matters. I'm not saying this because of what "I" want, or "you" want.

 

In fact I already said that the 5c line is "my thing".

post #62 of 93
One of the biggest complaints of Android that has frustrated users was the fact that performance took a nose dive over time. Android 4.3 fixes that by, finally, adding TRIM support, which mysteriously has been absent despite the Linux kernel having TRIM support for a long time, now. I believe the user experience for Android will improve greatly now that this issue has been addressed, and that may be bad for iOS.
post #63 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett Ruess View Post

I will probable buy a 5c then upgrade to large iPhone whenever it comes available.

I know many who went Samsung just because of big screen want.

so you know whole 10% of the population who went for the bigger screen. How do you like have that big phone stuck to the side of your head.

 

post #64 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

so you know whole 10% of the population who went for the bigger screen. How do you like have that big phone stuck to the side of your head.

 

Not THAT big.  I was thinking more around 4.5 inch to 4.8 inch.  He's sporting a 5.5 inch or larger.  Did I say Phablet? No, I said larger screen Smartphone.  That would be sub 5 inch.

post #65 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

You should try it.

 

While I'm certain that it is inferior to iOS, if you use Google's core apps (Play music, chrome, gmail, Maps, Drive and the pure awesomeness that is Google keep) and take advantage of their ecosystem, + root your device and "clean" the junk and use Nova launcher on a nice jelly bean device, you will see how great Android is. It trully is great, even if not at iOS level.

 

If you marry that with something like an HTC one, and if a big screen is really what you want, I'm sure than only a similar sized iPhone would make you go back.

 

Yes, OEMs f*ck things up, but the bottom line is that right now I see my android phone as something awesome. Clearly the iPhone 4 is not worthy it, and the 4s costs 3x more.

 

The 5 is not for me, despite being for sure ther best smartphone around. But I know that a 4.5 to 5" iPhone would be much better and would make a shitty vodafone contract worthwile. Maybe it will happen when stupid ignorant apple fanboys and stupid ignorant android fanboys no longer outnumber rational people, that base their knowledge on experience and logic.

 

Make no mistake. Google isn't Microsoft.

I used an iPhone 3G, 4 and 5 with all different iOS versions. I see no way where iOS is better than Android. That is a load of crap. Android is a more open OS, more customizable, and has more features for the power user. iOS is too simple and is too much of a locked down ecosystem for me. The fact that iTunes is needed for every single small thing you want to do on your phone is a hassle. I've been enjoying my S4 since April on Android 4.2.2, which is far superior to even iOS 7.

post #66 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett Ruess View Post

I will probable buy a 5c then upgrade to large iPhone whenever it comes available.

I know many who went Samsung just because of big screen want.

 

I volunteer with a guy who recently acquired a HTC with a bit larger screen then the iPhone 5 and it was not bad at all.

post #67 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by ealvarez View Post

I'm curious about what's happening in the German market. I would have expected the iPhone doing quite well there, but they are barely beating Windows... Someone have explanations?

 

I was thinking the same thing. I thought Germans would appreciate the quality of the iPhone. 

post #68 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

You should try it.

 

While I'm certain that it is inferior to iOS, if you use Google's core apps (Play music, chrome, gmail, Maps, Drive and the pure awesomeness that is Google keep) and take advantage of their ecosystem, + root your device and "clean" the junk and use Nova launcher on a nice jelly bean device, you will see how great Android is. It trully is great, even if not at iOS level.

 

If you marry that with something like an HTC one, and if a big screen is really what you want, I'm sure than only a similar sized iPhone would make you go back.

 

Yes, OEMs f*ck things up, but the bottom line is that right now I see my android phone as something awesome. Clearly the iPhone 4 is not worthy it, and the 4s costs 3x more.

 

The 5 is not for me, despite being for sure ther best smartphone around. But I know that a 4.5 to 5" iPhone would be much better and would make a shitty vodafone contract worthwile. Maybe it will happen when stupid ignorant apple fanboys and stupid ignorant android fanboys no longer outnumber rational people, that base their knowledge on experience and logic.

 

Make no mistake. Google isn't Microsoft.

I have played around with Android.  I didn't like it.  Plus, I will NEVER be DUMB enough to buy a product where I have to cross my fingers and HOPE that 6 months after Google releases their version that the OEM releases theres.  NO. I refuse to buy a private label phone with the name Google on it.  THEY get NONE of my money.  I don't want to be partly responsible for subsidizing Google Glass, so I want ZERO money from my back pocket going into theirs directly. 

 

See the problem Pedro, is I don't live in a country that's VERY close to a 3rd world country.  The US is only half way there, we're catching up.  If I bought an Android phone, that would make me feel like I should actually live in a 3rd world country since Apple doesn't market phones there.

 

To be honest, Apple and everyone else that makes smartphone would have to literally fall off the face of the earth before I buy an Android phone.  I'd buy a WIndows phone before Android.  I won't support a platform developed by Google.  So, don't hold waste your breath.  In the mean time, I think you might want to go to Cult of Android and not bother us over here.  I think I hear them calling your name.

post #69 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett Ruess View Post

I will probable buy a 5c then upgrade to large iPhone whenever it comes available.

I know many who went Samsung just because of big screen want.

so you know whole 10% of the population who went for the bigger screen. How do you like have that big phone stuck to the side of your head.

 

What is your goal with this crap?

 

Motorola managed to cram a 4.3 or 4.5 display on a phone that has the same dimensions has an iPhone.

Look at the HTC one.

Loot at the Moto x.

Heck, look at the shitty s4.

 

is apple the only one incapable of doing it?

post #70 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

I have played around with Android.  I didn't like it.  Plus, I will NEVER be DUMB enough to buy a product where I have to cross my fingers and HOPE that 6 months after Google releases their version that the OEM releases theres.  NO. I refuse to buy a private label phone with the name Google on it.  THEY get NONE of my money.  I don't want to be partly responsible for subsidizing Google Glass, so I want ZERO money from my back pocket going into theirs directly. 

 

See the problem Pedro, is I don't live in a country that's VERY close to a 3rd world country.  The US is only half way there, we're catching up.  If I bought an Android phone, that would make me feel like I should actually live in a 3rd world country since Apple doesn't market phones there.

 

To be honest, Apple and everyone else that makes smartphone would have to literally fall off the face of the earth before I buy an Android phone.  I'd buy a WIndows phone before Android.  I won't support a platform developed by Google.  So, don't hold waste your breath.  In the mean time, I think you might want to go to Cult of Android and not bother us over here.  I think I hear them calling your name.

Well, you have a few valid points. Portugal isn't that great, just like the US, but you guys have a lot of advantages.

 

Also, I wasn't dumb enough to do that, that's why the thing is already with a different ROM. As far as I know, Google also doesn't get that much from me. But you do realize that there are some rather great Android devices, with the best of them probably being the play edition of the htc one, right? There's a rightful competitor to the iPhone, and HTC deserves credit, just like google.

 

I don't "go" (why some of you talk like if a field trip is needed makes me confuse...) to cult of android, I prefer xda. But what is the problem?

 

If someone ignorant decides to say that Android is crap, it's not my problem. Android is awesome, great. Millions and millions would never have a decent smartphone if it wasn't for Google. Who cares if Apple has 200 billion in the bank or 400 billion in the process? I thank Google and Apple for that.

 

Besides, I prefer Apple products, especially software like iOS and OSX, that's why I post here. It's just that Apple forced me to buy an Android device, and frankly it was a win-win for me. I'm lucky to being able to have the smartphone I have now. It's no iPhone 5, my dream device, but I will only have a flagship like that once I earn the money for it. For that, in contries like these, you must have rich parents or a nice degree, and work a lot for it. I don't have reach parents. It's a shame Apple thinks that we do not deserve iPhones, then. It isn't my fault.

 

Google is different. That's why that despite "young" they are where they are. Don't get me wrong, Apple as a company is miles ahead, but google is also great. And despite being inferiors to iPhones, a nice android device is fantastic and can be a fantastic deal. Mine was.

post #71 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepen03 View Post

I used an iPhone 3G, 4 and 5 with all different iOS versions. I see no way where iOS is better than Android. That is a load of crap. Android is a more open OS, more customizable, and has more features for the power user. iOS is too simple and is too much of a locked down ecosystem for me. The fact that iTunes is needed for every single small thing you want to do on your phone is a hassle. I've been enjoying my S4 since April on Android 4.2.2, which is far superior to even iOS 7.

Well, for starters, your device could have a Xeon processor and it would still be slower than an iPhone. You can thank java for that.

Then despite having a huge battery, the s4 loses all tests when the screen is ON against the iPhone 5. You can also thank android for that.

Then you have the App quality and ecosystem quality. What you say on this matter is irrelevant, because what matters is that Apple is miles ahead.

Being simple is where the magic is, no? that's the dificulty, the engineer's dream: Make it simple. Another win.

Itunes is not needed since iOS 5.

 

And then you have the hierachy about things... The user's touch is last. More lag and worse experience.

 

And your s4 has shitty build quality, is as fat as a whale (software-wise), lags especially with touchwiz enabled, and has an oversaturated pentile screen. Not only that, there's 100 s4 models because samsung is just crappy.

 

I guess this is why iOS is just better, despite Android being great for what it is: Android is a more open OS, more customizable, and has more features for the power user ---- power user has changing ROMs kind of guy? lol that's not power user.

 

Anything close to professional use (what should be called as power user) is better on iOS. there's no such things on Android. 

post #72 of 93
Quote:

Motorola managed to cram a 4.3 or 4.5 display on a phone that has the same dimensions has an iPhone.

Look at the HTC one.

Loot at the Moto x.

Heck, look at the shitty s4.

 

is apple the only one incapable of doing it?

 

Why would they? The screens we have are excellent, and the edge around the screen is minimal. Could it be smaller, yes, but at what price? A sturdy frame, which the iPhone has, unlike the flimsy plasticky stuff most Droid's have, takes up some space.

 

Apple could make screen to the very edge, but it's not about what CAN be done, but about what is MEANINGFUL. A marginal screen size increase does close to nothing for usability, increases false touch events (particularly with one-handed operation), and makes the phone less robust.

Hardly worth it, just to partake in a specs pissing contest: "Oh, look, mine is bigger..."

post #73 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ealvarez View Post

I'm curious about what's happening in the German market. I would have expected the iPhone doing quite well there, but they are barely beating Windows... Someone have explanations?

 

I was thinking the same thing. I thought Germans would appreciate the quality of the iPhone. 

 

Germans do appreciate the quality of the iPhone; however there are many factors at play:

- Apple's old image as a computer toy company (real people use MS-DOS/Windows/etc.) still lingers, because Apple never bothered doing decent marketing in Germany.

- Germany has a rather large section of immigrants that are financially not the typical iPhone user, and because of ridiculous foreign phone call rates for contract phones is beholden to pre-paid SIM cards from companies that specialize in foreign calls to countries like e.g. Turkey, etc. The second largest Turkish city by population is Berlin, in Germany.

- Germany has many tinkerers, and Android phones are easier to tinker with than Apple's iOS prison.

- There are plenty of older people, who are traditionally feature phone users, who may end up getting an Android, because the price difference is minimal, but who see no point in spending "all that extra money for things I don't need". (Germans are smart with money, they don't spend on things they don't need, they save, unlike the US population that spends even money it doesn't have).

 

In short, there are plenty of iPhone users in Germany, but there are also plenty who are priced out of the iPhone market and plenty who want to play more with their phone than the iPhone allows.

 

The moment Apple sells phones that are affordable at full price, without subsidy, factory unlocked, open for all SIM cards and all networks, Apple's sales will go up in Germany. The moment Apple gives the OWNER root access to the phone, there'll be another, minor bump.

post #74 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Germans are price sensitive and they spit out cars like Mercedes Benz, Audi, BMTroubleU, Porsche?  Audio mfg like Acapella, Adam Audio, Bermester, Coda, German Physiks, MBL and many others?  Oh, OK.  I guess.   

 

Germans are smart with money, on average, they don't spend extra money if the specs don't warrant it.

A Porsche 911 clearly drives differently than a Chevy, particularly on the German Autobahn, or on curvy mountain roads. On top of that, the car has a special status in Germany...

 

But an iPhone isn't massively better to send an SMS, place a phone call, or check the local weather forecast, so if all you do is the basic phone/feature phone things, why would you spend extra money on a phone if you can get a cheaper one?

 

On top of that, in Germany one hides his money, one doesn't show it off. So if someone buys an S-class Mercedes, they'll have the tags removed, because they don't want everyone to know that they got the bigger engine and the all-wheel drive option and spend extra money. People with an iPhone keep in neatly in a (leather) case, so nobody can tell what phone it is, etc.

 

Different culture, different values, even in the section that is a potential iPhone customer. And then there are all the other parts of German society, which I mentioned before, so I won't go there again.

post #75 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

What is your goal with this crap?

Motorola managed to cram a 4.3 or 4.5 display on a phone that has the same dimensions has an iPhone.
Look at the HTC one.
Loot at the Moto x.
Heck, look at the shitty s4.

is apple the only one incapable of doing it?

You tried this once before - and I already pointed out that you're wrong.

None of those is the same dimensions as an iPhone. Virtually every dimension is larger - ranging from only trivially larger to much larger.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #76 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

You tried this once before - and I already pointed out that you're wrong.

None of those is the same dimensions as an iPhone. Virtually every dimension is larger - ranging from only trivially larger to much larger.

I don't believe he meant all those phones are the same size as the iPhone, the only that really comes close is the Moto X. He's referring to how manufacturers have been able to fit a bigger screen in the same form factor that previously housed a smaller screen.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #77 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

You tried this once before - and I already pointed out that you're wrong.

None of those is the same dimensions as an iPhone. Virtually every dimension is larger - ranging from only trivially larger to much larger.

And some of them very confortable to hold.

 

Again, if you guys will try the "bad build quality" or "bad screen" argument, look at the HTC one. Done by a 100x smaller company. Better screen, better sound, better build quality, better camera (?). Far from "too big". Stunning device.

 

Battery life? Note.

 

My point was that it doesn't take a much larger phone for a much bigger screen...

post #78 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


I don't believe he meant all those phones are the same size as the iPhone, the only that really comes close is the Moto X. He's referring to how manufacturers have been able to fit a bigger screen in the same form factor that previously housed a smaller screen.

Am I that stupid for saying that it is proven time and time again that there is a huge premium segment for phones with bigger screens? Am I that stupid for saying that there are phones out there with bigger screens+much better screens+ even better build quality+ stunning design made by much smaller and usually incompetent companies, so that means that Apple is just "milking it"?

 

I frankly don't get some of these guys. They are so blind and arrogants. "I don't want a bigger iPhone!" So what, don't buy one, buy the 4" version.

 

But not... They want the only status symbol, the bright Apple and latest version of it.

 

It becomes frustrating trying to have a decent discussion with a bunch of blind guys. Seriously.

post #79 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Am I that stupid for saying that it is proven time and time again that there is a huge premium segment for phones with bigger screens? Am I that stupid for saying that there are phones out there with bigger screens+much better screens+ even better build quality+ stunning design made by much smaller and usually incompetent companies, so that means that Apple is just "milking it"?

I frankly don't get some of these guys. They are so blind and arrogants. "I don't want a bigger iPhone!" So what, don't buy one, buy the 4" version.

But not... They want the only status symbol, the bright Apple and latest version of it.

It becomes frustrating trying to have a decent discussion with a bunch of blind guys. Seriously.

I don't think that you're stupid at all, there are a multitude of people that would like a bigger iPhone but the fact is that Apple isn't going to build one until there's no tradeoffs. While there are people switching to a bigger phone there are way more switching to the iPhone.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #80 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I don't think that you're stupid at all, there are a multitude of people that would like a bigger iPhone but the fact is that Apple isn't going to build one until there's no tradeoffs. While there are people switching to a bigger phone there are way more switching to the iPhone.

This is why i think I'm becoming stupid.

 

Bigger phones with twice the battery life of the iphone : check (Note, Maxx, etc)

Bigger phones with similar or better build quality: check (htc one)

Bigger phones with great looks: check (htc one, Moto X)

Bigger phones with screens better than the one used on the iphone on every metric: check (htc one)

 

Phones just a bit bigger with much bigger screens: check.

 

What's missing?

 

I really hope that they are waiting for something to regain better-screen status, like IGZO and leading materials, like liquidmetal.

 

What are the tradeoffs, again?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iPhone grows to 43% share among US smartphones