or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple promises to 'brighten everyone's day' at Sept. 10 iPhone announcement
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple promises to 'brighten everyone's day' at Sept. 10 iPhone announcement - Page 3

post #81 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

 

I disagree, the market isn't so much interested in a new flagship model as they are a lower cost model. New colors and a new OS will hold over the flagship model for a little while longer. Besides everyone will be too busy talking about the new iPhone model.

 

I also think with the introduction of the next flagship model, Apple will unveil their take on "wearables" and they currently aren't ready for it.

 

I believe the market (assuming you mean the investment community) is interested in both. The purpose of a lower cost model is to drive volume and marketshare, especially in places like China and India. The flagship's job is to solidify and protect margins.

If two people always agree, then one of them is redundant.
Reply
If two people always agree, then one of them is redundant.
Reply
post #82 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

@pedromartins - please keep your racist comments to yourself.  It makes you look like a stoneage bigot.

The grey circles pretty much confirm we are getting fingerprint scanners on the home button. Awesome.

The grey circles are to show there is a white model available. Without the grey circle you wouldn't see the white circle on a white background.
post #83 of 151
"Integrating a fingerprint sensor %u2014 a move that would largely negate the need for passwords and lock-screen codes %u2014 could give Apple an edge that its competition could not likely soon address."

How could you write that.. "could give Apple an edge that its competition could not likely soon address"??? Did you forget that Motorola did this years ago? and oh wait who owns them now?? Apple's direct competition? SMH...

http://secureidnews.com/news-item/motorola-releases-fingerprint-sensor-embedded-android-phone/
post #84 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosslad View Post

 
The grey circles are to show there is a white model available. Without the grey circle you wouldn't see the white circle on a white background.

I think there is something else. If all they were doing is showing a white model they could have a thin gray border and overlap it with some transparency making it consistent with the other circles. The thickness of the gray border distinguishes it as a unique characteristic.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #85 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

 

Just exactly what time is 97:55?  And what time is -1:45?

 

They aren't times of the day, they're hours and minutes. They could mean "we need an additional 97:55 man hours on this date".

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PScooter63 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

 

Just exactly what time is 97:55?  And what time is -1:45?

 

What mjtomlin said... or maybe it's an expression of available time-off hours for a given store/shift.  Negative indicating that day's allocation was overbooked..?

But that doesn't comport with the planned Sept 10 and Sept 20 dates that have been rumored. I would have expected to see similar numbers (you don't see a number similar to that for Sept 10 until Sept 30).

post #86 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by webboy View Post

"Integrating a fingerprint sensor %u2014 a move that would largely negate the need for passwords and lock-screen codes %u2014 could give Apple an edge that its competition could not likely soon address."

How could you write that.. "could give Apple an edge that its competition could not likely soon address"??? Did you forget that Motorola did this years ago? and oh wait who owns them now?? Apple's direct competition? SMH...

http://secureidnews.com/news-item/motorola-releases-fingerprint-sensor-embedded-android-phone/

 

and Motorola did such a great job of IMPLEMENTATION.

 

True innovation is so much more than having a good idea and slapping a product together.

post #87 of 151
There's already a smartphone on the market with a fingerprint scanner. It's only available in Japan, runs Android and probably won't leave Japan but at least it's out in the market despite Apple buying Authentec which almost certainly delayed development.

Massively looking forward tho to next week :-)
post #88 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubefan View Post

There's already a smartphone on the market with a fingerprint scanner. It's only available in Japan, runs Android and probably won't leave Japan but at least it's out in the market despite Apple buying Authentec which almost certainly delayed development.

That, of course, ignores history.

Apple is rarely first with a new technology. They're often the first to do it well.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #89 of 151

I have been flip-flopping about this for some time.  I think this is how it is going to run:

 

5 (16GB) - $0 / $349 unlocked

 

 

5C (16GB) - $49 / $399 unlocked

5C (32GB) - $99 / $449 unlocked

5C (64GB) - $199 / $549 unlocked

 

5S (32GB) - $199 / $549 unlocked

5S (64GB) - $299 / $649 unlocked

5S (128GB) - $399 / $749 unlocked

 

I think that the 5C will offer up the A7 chip with the plastic colorized body. The 5S in turn will also have the A7 chip in it, but it will have that fingerprint recognition software in it to protect your phone.  I am waffling back and forth whether or not both will be Universal phones, at the very least the 5S will be; maybe the 5C.

 

See, I don't see the 5C being the Cheap phone, I think it is the Colorized phone.

-- Mike Eggleston
-- Mac Fanatic since 1984.
-- Proud Member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals
-- Wii #: 8913 3004 4519 2027

Reply

-- Mike Eggleston
-- Mac Fanatic since 1984.
-- Proud Member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals
-- Wii #: 8913 3004 4519 2027

Reply
post #90 of 151

It's nice to have something to look forward to, can't wait to see what brightens my day.

post #91 of 151
It's over for Apple. This announcement is not one Jobs would've made.

He would have use more circles with more powerful colors, and not place them so close to each other. Also, the number of circles that overlap one another is telling; it means Tim Cook needs to hide behind his peers and is not ready to helm the ship and take it to uncharted waters.

Note how the Apple logo is lost amongst some of the circles. This means a company in distress, one in need of direction, one who has lost ITS direction.

Because of this one announcement, I recommend a SELL on Apple stock.

Regards,
Jackass Analyst
post #92 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

It's over for Apple. This announcement is not one Jobs would've made.

He would have use more circles with more powerful colors, and not place them so close to each other. Also, the number of circles that overlap one another is telling; it means Tim Cook needs to hide behind his peers and is not ready to helm the ship and take it to uncharted waters.

Note how the Apple logo is lost amongst some of the circles. This means a company in distress, one in need of direction, one who has lost ITS direction.

Because of this one announcement, I recommend a SELL on Apple stock.

Regards,
Jackass Analyst

 

For a moment there, I thought you were being serious until I saw the concluding name.  I couldn't stop laughing afterwards.... LOL

-- Mike Eggleston
-- Mac Fanatic since 1984.
-- Proud Member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals
-- Wii #: 8913 3004 4519 2027

Reply

-- Mike Eggleston
-- Mac Fanatic since 1984.
-- Proud Member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals
-- Wii #: 8913 3004 4519 2027

Reply
post #93 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by currentinterest View Post

My speculation:
5C 8GB $0 contract, $349 unlocked
5C 16GB $99 contract, $429 unlocked
5C 32GB $199 contract, $529 unlocked

5S 32GB $249 contract
5S 64GB $349 contract
5S 128GB $449 contract

Keep dreaming...I won't see lowest iPhone 5c less than $399 because Apple has carrier subsidized at $450 for current iPhone. Also 8GB iPhone 5c does not make sense since the flash drive gets cheaper every day and retina display apps take more space. Apple has no reason to make 8GB for new device just because of the price scheme. Apple may not release multiple versions of iPhone 5c at all because it defeats the purpose of "affordable" iPhone. I think 16GB is sufficient enough for most users (I have 111 apps in my iPhone 5 and I still have 4GB left). To avoid cannibalization into mid tier, Apple may drop 16GB iPhone 5 and have 32GB version at $199, but it's only my speculation.

 

This's more possible:

 

16 GB iPhone 5c $449 or free with carrier subsidy (if one wants 32GB, go for iPhone 5)

32/64 GB iPhone 5 $549/$649 or $99/$199 with carrier subsidy

32/64/128 GB iPhone 5s $649/$749/$849 or $199/$299/$399 with carrier subsidy

post #94 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

 

I already hate that "quick access" panel and I haven't even used it yet.  The "flashlight" option in particular is idiotic. 

Really? I use the quick-access Control Panel on a daily basis (often from my lock screen), and I use the Flashlight feature nearly every day. You may hate it, but you're completely, undoubtedly wrong if you think it shouldn't be included.

post #95 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by docwallaby View Post

Really? I use the quick-access Control Panel on a daily basis (often from my lock screen), and I use the Flashlight feature nearly every day. You may hate it, but you're completely, undoubtedly wrong if you think it shouldn't be included.

 

I hate the difficulty trying to access the "Wi-Fi" and "Cellular Data" switches. If all of these annoying controls can be placed in one spot, that would be a real timesaver. Also, a flashlight switch/button would be better than launching an app every time I want a light.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #96 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

 

I hate the difficulty trying to access the "Wi-Fi" and "Cellular Data" switches. If all of these annoying controls can be placed in one spot, that would be a real timesaver. Also, a flashlight switch/button would be better than launching an app every time I want a light.

I'm with you. I love being able to quickly and efficiently switch Airplane Mode, WiFi, and Bluetooth on and off with a swipe and a press, rather than having to go into Settings. And the Flashlight feature is way, way more convenient than a third-party App solution. I never used Flashlight apps, but I'm constantly using the Flashlight in Control Center.

post #97 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Isn't it interesting that the Android shills accuse iPhone users of being all about status symbol - and then they launch into a rant like Pedro's. Who's the one who's all about image again?

Design is as important as engineering. In fact, I believe that you can't trully separate them. An well-engineered product usually is an well-designed product.

 

The iPhone is absolutly beautiful, and by that I mean more than the aluminium shell. That's why I think (and by experience, know) that most people that use cases have no idea of what they are using.

 

Some cases have their meaning. Like a firefighter that needs something to protect the phone. Or someone that needs more battery life.

post #98 of 151
So, are they saying that the dual LED flash is only for the 128GB iPhone 5S's and not for like a 32GB? If so, I'm sad
post #99 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Design is as important as engineering. In fact, I believe that you can't trully separate them. An well-engineered product usually is an well-designed product.

The iPhone is absolutly beautiful, and by that I mean more than the aluminium shell. That's why I think (and by experience, know) that most people that use cases have no idea of what they are using.

Some cases have their meaning. Like a firefighter that needs something to protect the phone. Or someone that needs more battery life.

Anyway... Now I am an Android shill? So just because you are clearly misinformed and ignorant about tech, not to mention rude and lacking objectivity, you think you have the right to label me? What gives you that right?

The hypocrisy of your last senence is just staggering.
post #100 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

The hypocrisy of your last senence is just staggering.

Son, can you be more objective? That way I can:

 

a) learn;

b) change something that was written, if needed;

c) show that you are wrong and you learn.

post #101 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I already hate that "quick access" panel and I haven't even used it yet.  The "flashlight" option in particular is idiotic. 
I use it all the time
post #102 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Son, can you be more objective? That way I can:

a) learn;
b) change something that was written, if needed;
c) show that you are wrong and you learn.

I don't always agree with jrag- and have had several heated discussion/arguments with him- but he is extremely knowledgeable about tech and one of the most intelligent on this forum. So much so, that I almost never argue with him because I don't want to be proven wrong. You, on the other hand, I don't know what one gains by reading your posts. You want IGZO on everything. That's about all I've learned from your 1,000+ posts.

For the record- I use a bumper on my phone so when I drop it it doesn't break. And I'm not a fireman and don't need battery life.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #103 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

There's no pink in the invitation.

 

It's all pink in the middle
post #104 of 151
I think the 5S is going to have that one special thing that make people prefer it.
post #105 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by docwallaby View Post
 

Really? I use the quick-access Control Panel on a daily basis (often from my lock screen), and I use the Flashlight feature nearly every day. You may hate it, but you're completely, undoubtedly wrong if you think it shouldn't be included.

 

I think the quick-access Control Panel is over-designed and cluttered, (and therefore ugly) and since more than half of the stuff there I will personally never use, my belief is that the items it contains should be user configurable.  

post #106 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior View Post
 

 

That depends on where the price point is for the 5C and what features it has or doesn't have.

 

Not really, because the suggestion was that the 5c would be cheap enough to cover off the lowest model, but that the 5 would still be needed for a mid range model.  Considering the insides of the two devices are widely thought to be identical, it makes no sense to me that something cheap enough to work as a low end model would not also suffice for a mid-range model.  The poster is just assuming that there will be a desire for a cheap phone that isn't plastic and that Apple will fill this need.  Sounds like wishful thinking to me. 

post #107 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

Sure. In your previous post you said someone was rude and asked what right they have to judge you. Yet rudely judging people was (until you wisely edited it) a main part of that post and a previous one.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior View Post

 

Begging your pardon, but you do seem to be crossing yourself up here.

Both of you make sense. I apologize. Sorry, that wasn't my goal.

 

I hope no one was offended by it.

post #108 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by webboy View Post

"Integrating a fingerprint sensor %u2014 a move that would largely negate the need for passwords and lock-screen codes %u2014 could give Apple an edge that its competition could not likely soon address."

How could you write that.. "could give Apple an edge that its competition could not likely soon address"??? Did you forget that Motorola did this years ago? and oh wait who owns them now?? Apple's direct competition? SMH...

http://secureidnews.com/news-item/motorola-releases-fingerprint-sensor-embedded-android-phone/

 

Just for your information, the motorola fingerprint sensor was a product from Authentec. Authentec is fully own by Apple, and they don´t license/sell sensors to other companies anymore. 

post #109 of 151
So how long 'til the first Apple announcement poster related homicide?
post #110 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

I hope there's a law preventing cases on aluminium iPhones and Macs.

For some strange reason, I just want to agressively punch them. Imagine the work done to create a macbook air, and some punk that never had to work to buy it decides to put stickers on it and a bright green rubber case, not to mention what they do with the logo..

I find it offensive.

And I find your post offensive. Unfortunately, some of these products scratch easily. I've had 4 iPads, and all have either had a case, or a thin layer of silicon rubber that I carefully cut for the back. My iPhones have all had cases because either they could scratch, such as my 5. Or get damaged if you set them down when they had the glass back, which sticks out further than the bezel around it. Or slip out if ylur hand, and possibly break. Both are bad design choices as far as longevity goes.

So for you to be so snobbish as to tell us that we shouldn't use a case because of your wonderful design sense is far more offensive than so done buying a case, no matter how ugly it may be. It's also none of your business!
post #111 of 151
Originally Posted by iRon man View Post
So how long 'til the first Apple announcement poster related homicide?

 

What kind of statement is this?

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #112 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Should we be reading anything into the fact this is being held at Apple headquarters and not some place bigger?

They held the iPhone 5 event in the Apple Town Hall Theater on Apples Campus last time.  So no I would not read a thing into that.

post #113 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Maybe it varies from place to place...

But where I live, we use the term "nigga" to define stupid black people that think that they are rappers and thieves at the same time (and dress accordingly), and stupid white people that think that they are stupid black people that hink that they are rappers and thieves at the same time.

I explained that I have all respect in the world for people that deserve it, and something as frugal as skin color is not a factor. It doesn't even make sense. Why the hell is that even being brought up?

What is your problem? Seriously, I don't get it.

Pedro, sometimes you have to think about where you are, not where you come from. Just because you use that word doesn't mean you should use that word. Getto language should remain in the getto. If you don't come from there, I can't imagine anywhere else where that word would be accepted. Maybe you're listening to too much Gangsta Rap.
post #114 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahernk View Post

I have to laugh every time I read this remark - "Apple's "S" series iPhones have typically been refinements of the models immediately preceding them, and most of the rumors surrounding the "5S" have been in that vein."

It pops up in almost every rumor article. Why do I laugh? Because Apple has had exactly one (1) phone that has used the letter 'S'. What kind of trend does ONE phone make? Get real.

Actually there were 2.  The iPhone 3GS and the iPhone 4S. So that does make a trend. Both were introduced in-between.  As in 3, 3GS, 4.

4, 4S, and 5.

post #115 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by webboy View Post

"Integrating a fingerprint sensor %u2014 a move that would largely negate the need for passwords and lock-screen codes %u2014 could give Apple an edge that its competition could not likely soon address."

How could you write that.. "could give Apple an edge that its competition could not likely soon address"??? Did you forget that Motorola did this years ago? and oh wait who owns them now?? Apple's direct competition? SMH...

http://secureidnews.com/news-item/motorola-releases-fingerprint-sensor-embedded-android-phone/

Motorola's implementation of the fingerprint sensor was horrible.  Most of them quit working the first month after owning the phone due to the fact that the sensor had no cover on it and was so gummed up from dirt and touching it it was useless.  Apples sensor that was bought with the purchase of authentec allows for the sensor to use rf to read below the skin to see living tissue and can't be fooled like the motorola version, also because of the rf read ability it can be placed behind glass and or plastic  to protect it and still work well without all the headache of the sensor getting dirty like moto's then failing.

post #116 of 151
I want a wide screen iPhone similar to samsung galaxy size. I wonder how they are going to please me? or stop me moving to android just because of the limited screen sizes?????????????
post #117 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Now it's official.

 


Yes, it's now official there will be an Apple Event of some type on 10 Sept.
post #118 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by iZaza View Post

I want a wide screen iPhone similar to samsung galaxy size. I wonder how they are going to please me? or stop me moving to android just because of the limited screen sizes?????????????

 


I hope they don't please you or stop you moving to Android.
post #119 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by iZaza View Post

I want a wide screen iPhone similar to samsung galaxy size. I wonder how they are going to please me? or stop me moving to android just because of the limited screen sizes?????????????

 

The screen size is perfect.  Too big, and it won't fit in your pocket; too small and you can't read it.  4" is just perfect.  "Bigger screen size" is just Android bull crap.  If you need a bigger screen, go get an Android and be happy.

-- Mike Eggleston
-- Mac Fanatic since 1984.
-- Proud Member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals
-- Wii #: 8913 3004 4519 2027

Reply

-- Mike Eggleston
-- Mac Fanatic since 1984.
-- Proud Member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals
-- Wii #: 8913 3004 4519 2027

Reply
post #120 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by iZaza View Post

I want a wide screen iPhone similar to samsung galaxy size. I wonder how they are going to please me? or stop me moving to android just because of the limited screen sizes?????????????

I broke (drowned) my iPhone 4 a couple months ago and thought I'd have a go with a bigger screened Galaxy S4.

Lasted just on a week before lots of little frustrations added up to being too frequently pissed off with it.

Now I've sold that, I'm patiently using a friends 3GS with a cracked screen and dead pixels until the 5S (?) is out.

There's a lot of feedback online from those who tried and came back for similar reasons.

So... Don't be too quick to jump ship just cause of the screen size.

I personally like a bigger screen, but the iphone advantages outweigh that for now
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple promises to 'brighten everyone's day' at Sept. 10 iPhone announcement
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple promises to 'brighten everyone's day' at Sept. 10 iPhone announcement