or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Sony's new iPhone-compatible Cyber-shot lenses set to launch this month starting at $250

Sony's new iPhone-compatible Cyber-shot lenses set to launch this month starting at $250 - Page 2

post #41 of 50
Very impressive! But having to shell out $250 is just too much unless it has a very high quality lens with a pro SLR capability, then it will sell. With this, I would rather save and keep my money in the wallet and continue shooting with my existing Canon EOS Rebel. Just teasing, will Apple have an old digital camera buy back program to promote the sale of this?
post #42 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by semanka View Post

Very impressive! But having to shell out $250 is just too much unless it has a very high quality lens with a pro SLR capability, then it will sell. With this, I would rather save and keep my money in the wallet and continue shooting with my existing Canon EOS Rebel. Just teasing, will Apple have an old digital camera buy back program to promote the sale of this?

I was just thinking all we need for our Canon DSLRs is a wee attachment that send the pictures to the iPhone or iPad through the same technology as this and we'd be all set.... and with our range of far better lenses. Of course when shooting RAW we'd want it off, but for run of the mill type stuff that would be neat.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
post #43 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Another extremely niche product that Sony will cancel in a few years. You hit a home run with the PS4 and a ground out with this one.

If the sync with the smartphone is real-time, then it won't be such a niche product. But if there is noticeable lag, then I agree with you. If video works, then even better. And if they provide an API for 3rd parties, woo hoo! A lot of ifs.

But even if this QX series doesn't meet expectations, someone else will perfect this. Separation of the display/viewfinder from the camera itself opens up new ways to capture images and videos. Although this sort of exists, making it available as an accessory to a smartphone will popularize this. If Sony doesn't get it right, maybe Apple is already working on a better solution.

post #44 of 50
Once again, the main purpose of modern technology is to get you laid. Or so says this commercial. You can be any sort of skinny, glasses-wearing geek, but with the use of this gadget, you are James Deen...
post #45 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by semanka View Post

LOL Where are you getting at $250 lens with this "pro SLR capability"? 

post #46 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I was just thinking all we need for our Canon DSLRs is a wee attachment that send the pictures to the iPhone or iPad through the same technology as this and we'd be all set.... and with our range of far better lenses. Of course when shooting RAW we'd want it off, but for run of the mill type stuff that would be neat.

Canon currently has a wifi network attachment, so a bluetooth would not be hard for them to do. 

post #47 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by macslut View Post

It wasn't my question.  I was answering the question, and you just repeated me.

Sorry

post #48 of 50

Seems clunky to me. Get out your lens, get out your camera, start it up, find and run the app, and then you're ready to take a photo of that precious moment in time... that happened two minutes ago.

post #49 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

Canon currently has a wifi network attachment, so a bluetooth would not be hard for them to do. 

I put a wifi 32GB SD card in my camera, lets you store photos on it or you access its wireless network (with its own SSID & password) using an iOS or android app, lets you get the photos.

post #50 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Yep, and they carry the crappy interface and software that comes with them.

This is close to what I've been saying someone should do for years... 

Make a great lens that uses an iPhone (superior to any brain that a camera maker can produce) as the viewfinder and controller.

My only gripe on this is that its tied to Sony software.

I might agree if we're talking about low end mirrorless types, but most dslrs can be set up very quickly. An iphone might give you a faster editing interface if you intend to choose photos right there. Otherwise I don't see the concern. The initial growth of embedded camera popularity was due to convenience factor. Early ones took terrible images, yet most people always carry their phones. On any decent camera most things shouldn't involve more than one or two dials that can be quickly memorized.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Sony's new iPhone-compatible Cyber-shot lenses set to launch this month starting at $250
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Sony's new iPhone-compatible Cyber-shot lenses set to launch this month starting at $250