or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple releases OS X 10.9 Mavericks Developer Preview 7
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple releases OS X 10.9 Mavericks Developer Preview 7

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
Apple on Tuesday released the seventh OS X 10.9 Mavericks Developer Preview, bringing minor performance enhancements and feature additions to the operating system expected to launch this fall.

Mavericks Preview


According to people familiar with the latest seed, not much has changed from the previous version Developer Preview 6, which was released two weeks ago.

iCloud Keychain is still a work in progress, these people said, as the feature is still listed as a known issue. Developer Preview 6 came with a substantial backend update to the new security feature that required developers to reenable it after installing the operating system.

The latest build also allows for PDFs imported into iBooks while using a previous Mavericks seed to be renamed with Preview. iBooks for Mac was first introduced in Mavericks with Developer Preview 5.

When Apple launches OS X 10.9 Mavericks later this fall, it will come with iBooks, Finder Tabs, Maps, App Nap and Compressed Memory, among other new features.

Developers can download the sixth Mavericks preview via Software Update.
post #2 of 12
It's good enough. Load it into new machines and launch them already. This "waiting for iterative OSX updates" nonsense is getting old.
post #3 of 12

Ok, I have a very interesting question.  I just bought a 13" MBP.  How much time is there to get the free OS Upgrade versus having to pay for it.  I'd be (more than) willing to pay for it, but on the other had, free is free. :)

-- Mike Eggleston
-- Mac Finatic since 1984.
-- Proud Member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals
-- Wii #: 8913 3004 4519 2027
Reply
-- Mike Eggleston
-- Mac Finatic since 1984.
-- Proud Member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals
-- Wii #: 8913 3004 4519 2027
Reply
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Developers can download the sixth Mavericks preview via Software Update.

 

I believe you mean seventh ?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Eggleston View Post
 

Ok, I have a very interesting question.  I just bought a 13" MBP.  How much time is there to get the free OS Upgrade versus having to pay for it.  I'd be (more than) willing to pay for it, but on the other had, free is free. :)

 

I think it's usually a couple of weeks. The latest updates have only been $20 though and I can't imagine this one's going to be any more than that.

post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Eggleston View Post

Ok, I have a very interesting question.  I just bought a 13" MBP.  How much time is there to get the free OS Upgrade versus having to pay for it.  I'd be (more than) willing to pay for it, but on the other had, free is free. 1smile.gif

Call Apple after it is released. Get a supervisor on the phone. It costs Apple nothing to give it to you.
post #6 of 12
Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post
It's good enough.

 

No.

 
Load it into new machines and launch them already. This "waiting for iterative OSX updates" nonsense is getting old.

 

Probably because they're not waiting for the OS to launch the new machines. They never have before.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post


Call Apple after it is released. Get a supervisor on the phone. It costs Apple nothing to give it to you.

 

On the other hand, why be such a cheapskate?  The price is the lowest out there, the OS is the best out there and the extensions and free offers are as generous as they come.  

 

Maybe have a little self respect and *don't* grovel for a freebie.  Teach your children what honour and "doing the right thing" are all about, as well as the value of hard work.  

 

The OS upgrade is 20 bucks.

post #8 of 12
If I could have snow leopard with finder tabs, I'd be happy. It's the best os they've done. The lion stuff is eye candy and slower. Lets hope mavericks is fast although I understand you need buckets of ram to run it....
post #9 of 12

Did we have a stable number of release for the previous iteration of OS X? Can we use it to predict more or less accurately how many more preview we'll have before we can grab Mavericks? I'm still on snow leopard and I'm dying for an upgrade

post #10 of 12

They've changed up the OS password entry from nice centered circles to freaking asterisks. Hopefully that's just a bug, but why would they have overlooked it?

 

EDIT: And a start from shutdown cleared that up. Weird.


Edited by Tallest Skil - 9/4/13 at 10:34pm

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaba View Post

If I could have snow leopard with finder tabs, I'd be happy. It's the best os they've done. The lion stuff is eye candy and slower. Lets hope mavericks is fast although I understand you need buckets of ram to run it....

 

Install TotalFinder. It'll give you what you're looking for.

 

...Oh Bollocks - it requires 10.7 or better. Perhaps there's something 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yazolight View Post
 

Did we have a stable number of release for the previous iteration of OS X? Can we use it to predict more or less accurately how many more preview we'll have before we can grab Mavericks? I'm still on snow leopard and I'm dying for an upgrade

 

I believe 10.8 had about this many DPs before it went GM. From my experience, 10.9 has been far more stable during its beta period than 10.8 (I had quite a few kernel panics and several bugs during the early 10.8 DPs and have only had one panic and no significant issues during the entire 10.9 beta period) and I believe it will be ready fairly soon.

post #12 of 12

XtraFinder is another option, and it works with 10.6.8 or newer.

 

Like alternatives (Path Finder and TotalFinder) there are several other 'enhancements' and options that you can choose to use or disable.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple releases OS X 10.9 Mavericks Developer Preview 7