or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple taking shipments of 'Set Top Boxes' ahead of Sept. 10 event, hints at new Apple TV product

Apple taking shipments of 'Set Top Boxes' ahead of Sept. 10 event, hints at new Apple TV product

post #1 of 45
Recent bill of lading information from the U.S. Department of Homeland security shows Apple recently took three shipments of a "Set Top Boxes" from a known partner supplier in China, suggesting the company may be planning to unveil a new Apple TV at a special event on Sept. 10.

Apple TV

The logs, discovered by global trade research firm Panjiva (via GigaOm), show Apple took delivery of three shipments from mid to late August from BYD Precision Manufacture in Shenzhen, China. Each bill of lading refer to the contents as some form of "Set Top Boxes."

In chronological order, Apple received shipments described as ?Set Top Box with Communication Function" on Aug. 11, ?Set Top Boxes? on Aug. 18, and ?Set Top Box with Communication Function? on Aug. 25. Shipments were large, the first being 7.04 metric tons, followed by two identical batches weighing in at 16.63 metric tons.

According to the Pajiva Shipment Search tool, BYD has only supplied Apple with one shipment prior to those in August, being a "PC Portable" on Aug. 18. The most recent record of similarly named "Set Top Boxes" shipments was from Hon Hai in December 2012 and contained units bearing the A1427 model number found on the current-generation Apple TVs.

There have been no rumors regarding a new Apple TV product, though Apple's upcoming iPhone products have captured the spotlight in recent weeks. The company has been aggressively pushing out updates for the existing set-top streamer, however, adding channels like Vevo, Disney, Weather and Smithsonian in late August, while a beta of the next Apple TV software released in July was found to have reinstated iTunes purchasing.

Apple last refreshed its Apple TV product in March 2012, adding 1080p output to the unit while retaining the prior model's design.

Earlier on Tuesday, Apple sent out invitations to a special event scheduled for Sept. 10, at which the company is expected to unveil a next-generation iPhone and possibly a low-cost handset.
post #2 of 45

I would really like to see something different in AppleTV. I'm selling my AppleTV 2 right now so it would be awesome to pick something up to replace it fairly soon. I was expecting some type of actual TV though. Maybe we'll see both?

post #3 of 45
Would love to see 802.11ac support in the new Apple TV.
post #4 of 45
What it should have:
A USB port that can be used for an external drive.
The ability to run iOS apps.
The ability to support PLEX.

If it has those three things, I'm all in even if it cost more than $99.

AppleTV is a nice product but I don't think it's a good as the Roku 3 due to Apple's control over third-party channels.
post #5 of 45
I have trouble believing there is *any* variation of "set top box" that is actually a good strategy for the "future of TV."

It's probably just more USA-only crap anyway. Some kind of way of integrating USA-only cable companies into USA- only TV sets that will be hailed by the US press as some kind of miracle.

Meanwhile the world yawns.
post #6 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I have trouble believing there is *any* variation of "set top box" that is actually a good strategy for the "future of TV."

It's probably just more USA-only crap anyway. Some kind of way of integrating USA-only cable companies into USA- only TV sets that will be hailed by the US press as some kind of miracle.

Meanwhile the world yawns.

i don't think they can launch a subscription service where you can subscribe any channel you want in the world. obviously this has nothing to do with apple and its all american media entertainment laws made by american government if i'm not wrong. i would love that as i'm an indian and staying in china but love to watch american tv shows.

you are right about one thing though.

yawn.

my way or the highway...

Macbook Pro i7 13" with intel SSD 320 series and 8GB RAM, iPhone 5, iPad 3 (Retina)

my way or the highway...

Macbook Pro i7 13" with intel SSD 320 series and 8GB RAM, iPhone 5, iPad 3 (Retina)

post #7 of 45
I believe Gene Muenster just climaxed
post #8 of 45
MG Siegler wrote that he had inside info a new TV product that was not a TV. That smelled credible and this could be it.

Assuming this new device weighs the same as the current Apple TV (about a pound: .6 lbs and another .4 lbs with packaging), we're talking somewhere just shy of 200,000 units. It could be heavier. Pure back-of-the-envelope and a lot of assumptions there.

If this shipment is all they plan on stocking at launch, that seems to be nicely sized for a US trial. Another if...IF this is a new device or even the same puck with significantly greater functionality, it'll be a major hit and quickly stock-out.

I'm not sure if I'm more excited by a rumored iWatch or a rumored new Apple TV device!!
For your sake, I hope you're right.
post #9 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icaras View Post

Hmmm...it could "just" be the 802.11ac. Man, it's gonna be a very expensive fall updating my devices to 802.11ac. 

post #10 of 45
Hoping for it the last Apple TV upgrade (besides minor) was 2009(I think).
post #11 of 45

Isn't there some tech related event tomorrow? Hmm.. well I'm sure it's nothing important. Anyway, Apple may update the Apple TV next week! 

I doubt it would be a huge update, just a warm up, allowing the Apple TV to gain some momentum this holiday season before they unveil the real thing. It would be great to see Apple demo some of those new game controller APIs with a new 802.11ac Apple TV. And don't worry Gazoobee, I'm sure the APIs will work in Canada too ;)

post #12 of 45
Can you peeps at Appleinsider start freaking proofreading? I'd like to think I'm spending my time reading insightful information written by adults. Thanks.
post #13 of 45
If it has 802.11ac and an A6 processor in it then we should see full iOS on it. Would definitely buy one.
post #14 of 45
Apple TV with 4K support?
post #15 of 45
All I want from AppleTV is a new remote, and apps. Both seem inevitable. Has the time come?
post #16 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

That's why Canadian wine is terrible. Grapes are too sour.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #17 of 45
Couldn't it just be a refreshed airport base station / time capsule?
post #18 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBKLYN View Post

I believe Gene Muenster just climaxed

And it's not even Sept 10.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #19 of 45
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, my opinion, man.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, my opinion, man.
post #20 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmoofo View Post

Can you peeps at Appleinsider start freaking proofreading? I'd like to think I'm spending my time reading insightful information written by adults. Thanks.

you're new here, aren't you? they don't give a rat's behind ...
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
post #21 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by kzbk81 View Post

Really? 4K support? Where is the 4K content? Oh, I know. It's about 2 years away...

post #22 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by kzbk81 View Post

Long shot. It 4K movies on iTunes would be a killer app, though.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #23 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icaras View Post

You most likely will see 802.11ac support in the new AppleTV along with the iMac and MacPro machines.

You may also see a CPU and graphics chips set upgrade.  Perhaps support for the new 4K TVs.

Not to mention the new iOS 7

post #24 of 45

Apple TV is old.  Apple Television should be out already.  But no it wont.  By the time they release it it will be old news.  If Steve was around it would have already been released.

An Apple man since 1977
An Apple man since 1977
post #25 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

Really? 4K support? Where is the 4K content? Oh, I know. It's about 2 years away...

Precisely. Even if there was content, we'd need not just better codecs but better encoders and decoders for it, particularly for downloadable media.

"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
post #26 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Apple TV is old.  Apple Television should be out already.  But no it wont.  By the time they release it it will be old news.  If Steve was around it would have already been released.

Thanks for the laugh!

post #27 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by sennen View Post

Precisely. Even if there was content, we'd need not just better codecs but better encoders and decoders for it, particularly for downloadable media.
Not to mention that you'd need to actually have a 4k capable TV to watch it on. Which you don't.
post #28 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerd2 View Post

Not to mention that you'd need to actually have a 4k capable TV to watch it on. Which you don't.

And not to mention a 4K movie download would run to 100 GB.

Here in Europe a lot of TV content is delivered via satellites.  One of the huge drawbacks with 3D content was it doubled bandwidth requirements and was impractical for delivery via satellite due to lack of spare capacity.  4K via satellite?  That is not going to happen unless Apple wants to spend some of it's moola and park 4 geostationary data hoses in the sky.

post #29 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Werner View Post

Couldn't it just be a refreshed airport base station / time capsule?

This was just updated 2 months ago...why would they update them again?

post #30 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

And not to mention a 4K movie download would run to 100 GB.

Here in Europe a lot of TV content is delivered via satellites.  One of the huge drawbacks with 3D content was it doubled bandwidth requirements and was impractical for delivery via satellite due to lack of spare capacity.  4K via satellite?  That is not going to happen unless Apple wants to spend some of it's moola and park 4 geostationary data hoses in the sky.

Who says this new AppleTV would be sold in Ireland? Or country other than the US?

That being said, while I think a 4k AppleTV would be cool, there's very little to no content, most consumers don't have 4k televisions, and most cannot afford them at this point although they are on the market for purchase in the US. 

post #31 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

If it has 802.11ac and an A6 processor in it then we should see full iOS on it. Would definitely buy one.

This would be cool, and worth upgrading to, especially if it also includes the App store with some good way to interact with it other than a point and click remote. 

post #32 of 45

I'm most interested in games and apps.

post #33 of 45
%u201CSet Top Box with Communication Function" on Aug. 11, %u201CSet Top Boxes%u201D on Aug. 18, and %u201CSet Top Box with Communication Function%u201D on Aug. 25.

Do I detect two different models, one with "communication function"?

Apple TV with FaceTime perhaps?
post #34 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Recent bill of lading information from the U.S. Department of Homeland security shows Apple recently took three shipments of a "Set Top Boxes" from a known partner supplier in China, suggesting the company may be planning to unveil a new Apple TV at a special event on Sept. 10. .

Or maybe they're just restocking their stores with the existing model.

There's nothing in the DHS documentation that would distinguish between those options.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #35 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress0660 View Post

Who says this new AppleTV would be sold in Ireland? Or country other than the US?

That being said, while I think a 4k AppleTV would be cool, there's very little to no content, most consumers don't have 4k televisions, and most cannot afford them at this point although they are on the market for purchase in the US. 

What major products does Apple sell that are US only?  A bit over 300 M people in the us and around 500 M in the EU.  I believe Apple derives more income from overseas than domestically.

4K is the next 3D

post #36 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

What major products does Apple sell that are US only?  A bit over 300 M people in the us and around 500 M in the EU.  I believe Apple derives more income from overseas than domestically.

4K is the next 3D

Actually, 4K will exceed 3D.

3D will never become the standard - there are too many people who either get no benefit or actually find 3D to interfere with watching TV. It will be a large niche, but a niche, nonetheless.

4K will offer benefits for almost everyone (although I expect it to take a long, long time to become standard because 1080p is good enough for most people and the advantages are modest.

Think of it this way- look at the technology progressions in the past years
B/W TV to Color
Color TV to flat screen
flat screen to HDTV

Similarly,
VHS to DVD
DVD to BluRay

In every case, the improvement was apparent even to someone who doesn't consider themselves to be a videophile (although DVD to BR was not quite as obvious as the rest). Now, moving to 4K will improve things, but the gains will be fairly modest compared to the above gains. Therefore, it will be limited to high end customers for some time.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #37 of 45
Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post
What it should have:
A USB port that can be used for an external drive.

Hmm. I dunno. This doesn't seem like anything Apple would do. I'd really just prefer Network Attached iTunes Libraries. Plug a hard drive formatted as an iTunes Library into your AirPort Extreme and then all the Apple TVs (and computers) in the house can pull content from said library.

The ability to run iOS apps.
The ability to support PLEX.

And these will obviously never happen. Why the frick would Apple ever support Plex?

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post
If it has 802.11ac and an A6 processor in it then we should see full iOS on it.

How does that make sense? Why would we want that?

Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Gotta put /s on these! :lol:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post
3D will never become the standard - there are too many people who either get no benefit or actually find 3D to interfere with watching TV. It will be a large niche, but a niche, nonetheless.

4K will offer benefits for almost everyone (although I expect it to take a long, long time to become standard because 1080p is good enough for most people and the advantages are modest.

Bingo.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
post #38 of 45
Quote:

In every case, the improvement was apparent even to someone who doesn't consider themselves to be a videophile (although DVD to BR was not quite as obvious as the rest).

Blu-Ray is awful. At least with DVDs you could pop in a disc and watch.

Blu-Ray you put the disc in and wait for it to load ... Unless wait. You need to download a firmware update first ... Provided one is even available ... And even if there is one, now some older discs won't play and the new one still might not work.

True the picture and sound are gorgeous... But the hassle isn't.

Downloading 1080p/720p content is good enough (for me at least).
post #39 of 45
Been planning on getting an Apple TV soon (I don't have cable nor satellite dish, just Netflix and DVDs for TV viewing). A new version of the Apple TV would be perfect!
post #40 of 45
Quote:

Actually, 4K will exceed 3D.

Think of it this way- look at the technology progressions in the past years
B/W TV to Color
Color TV to flat screen
flat screen to HDTV

Similarly,
VHS to DVD
DVD to BluRay

In every case, the improvement was apparent even to someone who doesn't consider themselves to be a videophile (although DVD to BR was not quite as obvious as the rest). Now, moving to 4K will improve things, but the gains will be fairly modest compared to the above gains. Therefore, it will be limited to high end customers for some time.

Have you seen the Hobbit movie?  Have you watched an HD News Broadcast?  Honestly, the only real benefit you will get from anything 4K will be for sports.  everything else...HD had made it worse IMO.  When you can see the piss-poor make-up jobs on anything higher than 1080p (since Movies in iMax and greater than 24fps look terrible IMO) there's really no great benefit to seeing something in 4k.  Not to mention even restores of old movies from negatives won't even come close to 4k res.  To me, 4k is pointless.  Who cares.  All this 4k and 60fps crap isn't improving anything but the profit margins of the content owners.  Do you really want to re-purchase all your movies all over again in the next 2-5 years?  Really?  I haven't even re-purchased 10% of my DVD collection onto blu-ray or iTunes or digital because of the cost involved and the lack of special features and commentaries on the digital versions.  The home media industry doesn't know what the hell they're doing, other than milking any format that can for all it's worth, and in shorter cycles than ever before.  Screw big media, screw content owners.  I'm loving the subscription method, and it's way cheaper.  Thank you Netflix and Hulu.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple taking shipments of 'Set Top Boxes' ahead of Sept. 10 event, hints at new Apple TV product