or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung shows off Galaxy Note 3 'phablet', new Note 10.1 tablet, Galaxy Gear smart watch

Samsung shows off Galaxy Note 3 'phablet', new Note 10.1 tablet, Galaxy Gear smart watch

post #1 of 152
On Wednesday in Berlin, Apple rival Samsung announced three new Android-powered devices that will become part of its mobile arsenal: smartphone and tablet versions of its Galaxy Note series and a much-anticipated smart watch marking the company's biggest step into the wearable computing segment.

Samsung's Galaxy Note 3 was at the center of much of Wednesday's action, with the South Korean giant noting a redesign for the device, as well as a number of new features. The new Note sports a layer of faux leather on the back side, but on the whole it retains the plastic construction that has come to typify Samsung's devices.

DSC01377-130904.jpg

The Note 3 is slimmer than its predecessors, and lighter as well. By reducing the bezels, Samsung has given the device a 5.7-inch full HD Super AMOLED display without having to increase the footprint of the handset. The new Note is also thinner and lighter than the Note 2, but with more powerful specs all around.

Inside, the Note 3 will have 3GB of RAM paired with either a 2.3GHz quad-core processor or a 1.9GHz quad-core processor for the 3G model. It will also pack a 13MP camera capable of recording in 4K at 30fps. Powering its internals will be a 3200mAh lithium-ion battery, which Samsung says will give it significantly improved life over the already long-lasting Note 2. Notably, the device does not feature a fingerprint sensor as was proposed in earlier reports.

The Note series emerged two years ago and went on to become a surprise hit for Samsung, with the last two models selling tens of millions of units. This despite initial confusion from tech commentators over the devices' considerable size.

gear-130904.jpg

Much of Samsung's real focus on Wednesday, though, appeared to be on the unveiling of the Galaxy Gear, which the company had already confirmed it would show off at IFA. The device shown on stage looked noticeably different from the images of a prototype device leaked earlier this week, with the final model featuring smoother lines and apparently higher quality materials.

The new smart watch features a metal face and buckle, a departure from Samsung's usual reliance on plastic. The wrist bands on the device are adjustable and come in an array of colors.

DSC01398-130904.jpg

Inside, Gear has 4GB of storage to store pictures and other content, including apps, of which Samsung says there are more than 70 for the device. Samsung says the watch has a 315mAh battery that will last for more than 25 hours on a charge.

The device has a number of other features, including a built-in camera with a 1.9MP resolution. It also has a built-in speaker allowing users to conduct hands-free calls and to draft messages and memos using Samsung's S Voice assistant. According to Samsung, these actions can be performed without touching the screen.

DSC01285-130904.jpg

Many tech observers turned to Samsung's presentation looking to see what the electronics giant would reveal as its first big wearable device release. The wearable technology segment is expected to heat up over the next year, with Apple, Google, and many others reportedly looking to develop smart watches for release.

note-101-130904.jpg

Finally, the South Korean conglomerate released a larger tablet in the Galaxy Note line, the 2014 edition of the Galaxy Note 10.1. The new tablet sports the same design aesthetic as does the Note 3, but with a WQXGA LCD outputting at 2560x1600.

Inside, the Note 10.1 has 3GB of RAM, a 1.9GHz Octa-core or 2.3GHz processor depending on the version, and up to 64GB of internal memory. It also has almost all of the functionality of the Note 3, including a multitasking feature, new actions and capabilities for the S Pen stylus, and Samsung's Knox security software.

The Galaxy Note 3 and the Galaxy Gear will go on sale in the coming weeks in the United States and a number of other markets. When it debuts in early October, the Galaxy Gear will retail for $299. Pricing for the Galaxy Note 3 has not been revealed yet, but it will be available globally on September 25. Samsung has given little information on the Galaxy Note 10.1's availability save to say that it will be offered globally beginning in the third quarter.
post #2 of 152
So when you have seen people holding up iPads and using them as digital cameras, looking stupid in public. This is now what Samsung is copying.
post #3 of 152

The watch is nearly 1/2 inch thick and has flat-head screws on the front. From an aesthetic and battery life point of view it seems like something from the 1990's.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

post #4 of 152
Wow! That "Smart" watch is Uber-ugly, fugly!!!! Clearly Samsung did not have men in mind as it appears to look too feminine. I know Apple can do much better at design, can't wait for Apple to trump this garbage.
Switching From Windows on Nov. 30th 2007
-------------------------------------
MacBook Pro 13" 2011
Switching From Windows on Nov. 30th 2007
-------------------------------------
MacBook Pro 13" 2011
post #5 of 152
Who in their right mind is going to take phone calls through a watch? That's got to be worse than the bluetooth headset army.
post #6 of 152
The watch is not so nice.. But worse it offers noting exciting in interface tems or functionality.
post #7 of 152

Now Im looking forward to Sep 10th, to come out of the nightmare Sammy put me through. 

post #8 of 152
This is what they call innovation?

Bigger screens and copying competitors rumored yet unreleased products?
post #9 of 152
In my opinion, a smart watch is a stupid idea, by Samsung, Apple or other.
post #10 of 152
So it's an iPod nano with the strap built in?
post #11 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

This is what they call innovation?

Bigger screens and copying competitors rumored yet unreleased products?

How is it copying if Apple hasn't made one? It's a dumb idea, yes. But copying? No.
post #12 of 152
Ha (cue Nelson picture)! Although I won't buy one from Apple either unless they make a classy analog version.
post #13 of 152
All the leaked pics of the new iPhones, but none of the iWatch?
post #14 of 152
Originally Posted by j1h15233 View Post
Who in their right mind is going to take phone calls through a watch?

Well, here are two potential users. And since Samsung cares only about making worthless piles of crap for absolutely everyone, that's all the market they need.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
post #15 of 152

Why Why Why would shamesung announce this useless piece of a gadget called Samsung Gear.

They have very poor standards internally for design and tech. It's software design is weak, the watch itself looks like those G-Shock watches of the 90's, just that its touch screen now. And it talks to 5 of there own products like the Note 3, Note 2, SG3, SG4, and the 10.1 (2014 edition) tablet.

They dont bother announcing the price tag on any of there devices. Sheesh ! Horrible Sammy you guys Suck!

post #16 of 152
Thats one ugly watch....
post #17 of 152

The guys at Apple must be laughing there asses off saying "Our iPod Nano's looked more appealing as a watch than this thing here ... "

post #18 of 152

Whoever buys that watch may as well have "I'm a complete tool" tattooed to their arm.

post #19 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikilok View Post

Why Why Why would shamesung announce this useless piece of a gadget called Samsung Gear.
They have very poor standards internally for design and tech. It's software design is weak, the watch itself looks like those G-Shock watches of the 90's, just that its touch screen now. And it talks to 5 of there own products like the Note 3, Note 2, SG3, SG4, and the 10.1 (2014 edition) tablet.

They dont bother announcing the price tag on any of there devices. Sheesh ! Horrible Sammy you guys Suck!

It's $299
post #20 of 152

The Galaxy Gear certainly is an interesting evolution for the smart watch market.  It's borrowed and improved many things that worked from previous smart watches and I'm certain that other companies will borrow and improve on what works with the Galaxy Gear. 

I'm not convinced that it will have mass appeal as it is right now.  It's certainly a masculine watch and I don't see many women wearing one.  The method of charging using the included case is extremely odd and the fact that it only works with other Samsung devices is also a very risky move for them.  I also read that while the battery life is rumored at 25+ hours that the watches on display at their conference are showing anything near those numbers.

post #21 of 152
The Samsung DumbWatch is everything the Apple iWatch shouldn't be. Ugly, clunky, ridiculous and obvious. Samsung should have done what they usually do and just waited for Apple to create something amazing and original, then rip it off and spend the next 20 years in court. What a dreadful product. You'd have to be a moron with no sense of style to wear that monstrosity. Well done, Samsung.
post #22 of 152

$299 seems a little steep for a cellphone accessory.

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
post #23 of 152
Why the hell is AI wasting such space on Samsung? Is this now SamsungInsider?

That watch reminds me of something the character "Steve Austin" would wear in "The Six Million Dollar Man" TV show in the 70's. Talk about gaudy!!

I guess now AI has to accommodate the whiny Fandroid members now. :/
post #24 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Why the hell is AI wasting such space on Samsung? Is this now SamsungInsider?

That watch reminds me of something the character "Steve Austin" would wear in "The Six Million Dollar Man" TV show in the 70's. Talk about gaudy!!

I guess now AI has to accommodate the whiny Fandroid members now. :/

No it's not Samsung Insider and its not just apple is all things relative to Apple. Unlike your post of course which make me wish that they would block dumbasses like you that make no valid point to conversation or subject at hand.
post #25 of 152
Only thing in this post that even gets my interest is the 4K 30fps in the note.
post #26 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

How is it copying if Apple hasn't made one? It's a dumb idea, yes. But copying? No.

It's absolutely copying Apple. The rumor that Apple is working on an iWatch has been around for a year. Samsung is doing this for one reason and one reason only, to be able to say they were first to market. Yes, it is ALL about copying Apple's karma.
post #27 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

In my opinion, a smart watch is a stupid idea, by Samsung, Apple or other.

I'll bet you'll be eating those words within two years.

post #28 of 152

Correction: the Galaxy Note 10.1 is Samsung's "biggest step into the wearable computing segment."

That's Samsung Style! Woo-hoo

post #29 of 152

I suppose when there is nothing to copy, Samsung has to be creative. And this is what happens. Of course such a device must come with a built-in camera, however (im)practical. :lol:

post #30 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bancho View Post

$299 seems a little steep for a cellphone accessory.

People have yet to actually spend money on them.  We can revisit this in a couple months and see how it worked out.  Not everything that has a launch event goes anywhere. Hey Microsoft...how is that Surface going??

post #31 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Well, here are two potential users. And since Samsung cares only about making worthless piles of crap for absolutely everyone, that's all the market they need.

Hey! "The "Miz" is my hero. If he buys one I will too.
post #32 of 152
Honestly, if Samsung was trying to avoid being accused of copying Apple in the "wearable gear" market, they may have shot themselves in the foot with this one.

Their argument w/r/t their phones and tablets has been "we didn't copy Apple - if our products resemble Apple's, it's just because this is what a smartphone and tablet are supposed to look like. Everyone knows that."

In their rush to be first to market, they've now given everyone an indisputable example of what a Samsung-designed smartwatch is - big, heavy, klunky, and of limited utility. No one is going to buy this monstrosity at $300, and when Apple comes out with the iWatch, Samsung is going to have to revise their design toward it, which is going to be harder to pass off as not copying, considering where they started.
post #33 of 152
Marty McFly called. He wants to take his watch back to 1985....

Samsung have screwed up big time here. A watch should focus on complimentary phone functions. Health, important alerts etc.
It should vibrate so if you are in a noisy place (club etc) you can see if you have a message/call. Probably good for women to save them getting the phone out every two minutes to check for missed calls/messages.
Having a long battery is essential unless it comes with wireless charging.
If Apple do launch a watch they now have the opportunity to learn from all the Gears faults and criticisms. We'll be lucky to see anything before Easter 2014 IMO.
post #34 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

The method of charging using the included case is extremely odd and the fact that it only works with other Samsung devices is also a very risky move for them.  I also read that while the battery life is rumored at 25+ hours that the watches on display at their conference are showing anything near those numbers.

Wait, are you saying to charge it you have to plug it into another device? I guess the picture does suggest that. If so that is hilarious!
21.5" iMac i7 2012, iPod Touch 5, iPad 2, iPod nano 7, Mac Mini G4 2000
21.5" iMac i7 2012, iPod Touch 5, iPad 2, iPod nano 7, Mac Mini G4 2000
post #35 of 152
But then they could change the name to Galaxy Watch and make everyone forgot about that old clunky SmartWatch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq2 View Post

Honestly, if Samsung was trying to avoid being accused of copying Apple in the "wearable gear" market, they may have shot themselves in the foot with this one.

Their argument w/r/t their phones and tablets has been "we didn't copy Apple - if our products resemble Apple's, it's just because this is what a smartphone and tablet are supposed to look like. Everyone knows that."

In their rush to be first to market, they've now given everyone an indisputable example of what a Samsung-designed smartwatch is - big, heavy, klunky, and of limited utility. No one is going to buy this monstrosity at $300, and when Apple comes out with the iWatch, Samsung is going to have to revise their design toward it, which is going to be harder to pass off as not copying, considering where they started.
post #36 of 152

post #37 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadmatic View Post

I'll bet you'll be eating those words within two years.

I don't even wear a watch. So no, my opinion won't change, it's stupid. I am sure Sammy and Apple will sell plenty - look at Pebble.

It's still stupid.
post #38 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

It's absolutely copying Apple. The rumor that Apple is working on an iWatch has been around for a year. Samsung is doing this for one reason and one reason only, to be able to say they were first to market. Yes, it is ALL about copying Apple's karma.

Wouldn't it make more sense to claim that they're copying other companies who have actually made a smart watch?  Or in the case of a product that isn't yet released, at least make a specific claim as opposed to an overly broad generic claim which means nothing?  Take the following two examples:

1) I think Samsung is copying Apple, because reasons.

2) I think Samsung is copying Hot's Hands on Technology (patent # 8,515,505)

post #39 of 152
Quote:

Quote:

Then Apple is copying Pebble? Pebble was first, or one of the first, to market. There were NO iWatch rumors prior to Pebble.
post #40 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEMAC1NT0SH View Post

No it's not Samsung Insider and its not just apple is all things relative to Apple. Unlike your post of course which make me wish that they would block dumbasses like you that make no valid point to conversation or subject at hand.

You mad bro?

Add me to your blocked list.  Please.  I'll consider it an honor given the empty contributions you post here.  My original Samsung statement stands solid.  You're more than welcome to head on over to one of the countless Samsung fanboy sites.

Your useless post, ending with you verbally attacking me just proved my point.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung shows off Galaxy Note 3 'phablet', new Note 10.1 tablet, Galaxy Gear smart watch