or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung shows off Galaxy Note 3 'phablet', new Note 10.1 tablet, Galaxy Gear smart watch

Samsung shows off Galaxy Note 3 'phablet', new Note 10.1 tablet, Galaxy Gear smart watch - Page 3

post #81 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Pebble. Nobody seems to remember Pebble.

That's correct. No one remembers Pebble. The mass market buying public has no clue who or what Pebble is. It's the same old tripe that says "tablets have been around for years." Yes, they were, but NO ONE cared until the iPad appeared. You have to take off your technology fan colored glasses and realize that what the mass market knows and buys is completely different than what we tech watchers know. Because Samsung has a good share of the pubic's mindshare they will be credited as having been first to market. IF this thing actually succeeds, which is highly doubtful in my opinion.

post #82 of 152
OMG nuff said
post #83 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

The Gear is a dud - poorly executed, IMO.

Agreed. There's nothing wrong with the concept of a smart watch, but this is a horrible implementation.

But what did you expect? They didn't have an Apple product to copy, so this is the best they were able to come up with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

The Note 3 is a decent step up from the Note 2. As mentioned above, the multitasking feature is *noteworthy*. But revolutionary? Now that's serious marketing *spin*. 1smile.gif

Agree. Absolutely nothing revolutionary about it.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #84 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Eleven View Post

When this hipster took the stage to be the MC I almost closed the YouTube channel. Nice glasses man!

Those are the new Samsung S-Glass(es) ...

post #85 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpvn View Post

Thats one ugly watch....

Truer words were never spoken. Expect the design to change if Apple releases one though.
post #86 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by j1h15233 View Post

It probably hurts Samsung to be first to market with this. It'll be really obvious when they copy Apple's future design now.

It'll just be the latest "crisis in design". Whatever Apple comes up with will be the new "convergence of design". I can't wait for Sammy's 132 slide deck comparison.
post #87 of 152

really? Speechless... They really don't have any regrets on copying things....

post #88 of 152
I like the watch! But I like my Pebble better, and it works with all Android and iOS phones, not just with the Note 3...
post #89 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by focher View Post

So when you have seen people holding up iPads and using them as digital cameras, looking stupid in public. This is now what Samsung is copying.

Exactly...there'll be some real trend-setters trying to hold Samsung's giant phones to their ears and/or talking to their wrists.  Add Google Glass and they'll be set.

post #90 of 152
Please Apple Insider review the Sony Xperia Z1, we all want the same features on an iPhone, like sending files with bluetooth, or having a SD card reader, and all the other amazing stuff! This site is good to criticize everything but not Apple?
post #91 of 152

I dont understand..

Samsung had 3 years to copy Apple's iPod nano to make a more decent watch and they do this !!!

Help me out here !

post #92 of 152

UGLY as ...... ;)

As I said before and based on leaked pics of their dumbwatch, they just released one for the sake of saying they did it 1st!

Then, their R&D (if exists!) will sit on their a$$ and see what Apple's look like .... ladies & gents, start your copy machines!!!!

EDIT: "Notably, the device does not feature a fingerprint sensor as was proposed in earlier reports."

Samsung is not a tech company. Well, it is but a Mafia version of it! Of course, they shit around with their rumours to get attention! Excatly like google. Remember, as soon as MS took over news with their Nokia, google came up with kitkat crap to get attention away from MS!

Edited by Disturbia - 9/4/13 at 2:04pm

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Tim Cook ~ The Wall Street Journal - February 7, 2014

Inside Google! 

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Tim Cook ~ The Wall Street Journal - February 7, 2014

Inside Google! 

post #93 of 152
The watch thing is stupid. If apple releases a watch as their ace in the hole, I'll lose confidence in their innovative edge. What can a watch do that a smart phone can't. Take blood pressure in real time?
post #94 of 152

Whatever Apple might do in this arena....

- it has to have >>> 25 hours battery life, otherwise, it will be out of juice most of the time. I don't even remember to put my iPhone on charge every night - but at work or in the car it gets charged. I would not take off an iWatch to do it

- it has to add useful features, and i don't think a 2MP camera is that useful in a smart watch

- there has to be ways of customizing it, or "fashionizing" it. Assuming Apples iWatch will exist, I dont want everyone to notice Im wearing the apple device. I have some nice watches, I like them, but I don't wear them for other peoples attention. So I hope there are some different styles.

post #95 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltWater View Post

Please Apple Insider review the Sony Xperia Z1, we all want the same features on an iPhone, like sending files with bluetooth, or having a SD card reader, and all the other amazing stuff! This site is good to criticize everything but not Apple?
Use Bump to send data. I don't need an SD card in my iPhone.
post #96 of 152

A rear-facing camera to boot!

post #97 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by coconutwireless View Post

The watch thing is stupid. If apple releases a watch as their ace in the hole, I'll lose confidence in their innovative edge. What can a watch do that a smart phone can't. Take blood pressure in real time?

maybe not much, but now I hope anyone (even Pebble) just does one right, so everyone can see just how crappy this one really is. 

25 hours life - and look how big it is. All thats needed is a wrist strap for an iPhone - surely it wouldnt look much dafter on a wrist..

post #98 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frac View Post

Yes...absolutely copying Apple.
The Korean dude used "ONE MORE THING..." in the presentation. How tacky is that?
Hubris will push Samsung under a bus.

And he said used the word "gorgeous" near the end.

post #99 of 152

I'm assuming that Samsung went with a cradle to make it easy as possible to charge, since having to charge your phone even a few times a week is a bit of a show stopper, for now.  So you leave the cradle plugged in at all time and just drop the watch on there.

So I wonder if Apple, should they release a wrist computer/phone companion/watch thing, might go with?  A separate cradle doesn't seem very Apple-ish.  They have the Lightening connector, which is tiny and orientation agnostic, so perhaps that is sufficiently effortless so as not to require a dock or a cradle? 

Samsung probably wanted something other than a micro usb port because that's a bit fussy to get plugged in.  There are reasons that Apple sometimes deviates from "standards" beyond just contrariness.

post #100 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikilok View Post

Talking of Steve Austin, the speaker at the show reminded me of a thinner version of him.

They choose to use this clown to host the show.

LMAO!!!!! I don't know if all their unboxing events go like this one but I thought it looked like a less than classy night club with never-beens trying to get some because they have a smart watch. LOL

Would you buy a watch from the guy on the street? LOL!! Sleazy shady looking. 

The whole presentation lacked class and polish to me.

Who's in charge of naming these features?! Fire that guy or girl! Pen box? Circle jerk? Air what? S-hit? 

The watch? Terrible. Useless in it's current state IMHO. $299?

Note 3. Thin but was that a leather back? Did I get that right? 

I hate it when I'm in a store and I pass someone who is talking on their phone via speaker phone!!!! And now you want more of that!!!

2010 15" MBP, iPhone 5 64GB, New iPad 64GB LTE, (2) ATV 2nd Gen

post #101 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikilok View Post

I dont understand..

Samsung had 3 years to copy Apple's iPod nano to make a more decent watch and they do this !!!

Help me out here !

You forgiving the Casio DATABank debuted in 1983 and still around,

http://www.casio.com/products/Watches/databank/

post #102 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pujones1 View Post

LMAO!!!!! I don't know if all their unboxing events go like this one but I thought it looked like a less than classy night club with never-beens trying to get some because they have a smart watch. LOL

Would you buy a watch from the guy on the street? LOL!! Sleazy shady looking. 

The whole presentation lacked class and polish to me.

Who's in charge of naming these features?! Fire that guy or girl! Pen box? Circle jerk? Air what? S-hit? 

The watch? Terrible. Useless in it's current state IMHO. $299?

Note 3. Thin but was that a leather back? Did I get that right? 

I hate it when I'm in a store and I pass someone who is talking on their phone via speaker phone!!!! And now you want more of that!!!

Did you like the lackluster applause at the end?  He even had to ask for it.  That really sets the standard by which you could judge the event.

post #103 of 152
Originally Posted by deepen03

so he's a clown because he helped introduce two REVOLUTIONARY products today? You Apple fanboys really are ridiculous. You know what's going to look like a clown? That Non-Innovative iPhone launch on the 10th.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

No, seriously, shut up and go away.

Originally Posted by Rhonal Beato View Post
This website do hate Samsung too much by what i was reading. Until i read the domain name.

Glad you understand.

And just so you know this product are killer cool and the power behind it no one tops it. 

Both of these products are worthless trash and are already topped by existing products from other companies.

Originally Posted by samfam View Post
Ok... finally, Samsung has come up with something ahead of everybody else.

Uh…

Originally Posted by BigMac2 View Post

Touchscreen? Plays music? Is a pedometer? Can change the watch face? Displays pictures?

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
post #104 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMac2 View Post

http://www.casio.com/products/Watches/databank/

I bought one in 1987 and used it to store phone numbers.  Even used it to autodial the phone when calling my fiance using a Sprint FONE card then had it enter the code.

post #105 of 152

Also, about that 4k video capacity in the new Note:  WTF?  How is that useful or reasonable?  You'll generate gigantic files funneled through a shitty little phone camera lens.

Despite their recent market share success, Samsung may yet shoot themselves in the foot by succumbing to the same old goes to 11 syndrome that ultimately decimated the desktop industry. 

The further away Samsung gets from Apple, (that is, the more convinced that they've left them behind and are free to forge their own path) the more likely they are to start piling on "features" that don't do the user any good.  And eventually feature bloat starts affecting usability, stability, battery life, etc.  

The one thing that no one seems able to copy from Apple is the discipline to say no, which Steve baked into their DNA. At the moment, because of the extremely rapid growth in the smart phone market, Samsung can post huge wins by selling more and cheaper devices.  But at some point everyone who wants a smartphone has purchased one, and their next purchase is somewhat more considered.  If you're coming from big ass phone larded with features which started getting funky  after about a year you may be open to other approaches.  OTOH, the data suggests that Apple users are pretty damn loyal, probably because the all over experience of ownership is pretty damn good-- not just "cool new big" at the point of sale.

post #106 of 152
I know someone that has a Note II. He told me the other day that the thing just flat out died. I'm wondering if it has that Sudden Death Syndrome the S3's were having.

Well, it looks like the Note III is basically the same as the Note II, no innovation. (I kind of sound like an Anti Apple person, only different).

I just realized. I'm not being innovative enough with my sarcastic remarks against Samsung.

Oh well.
Edited by drblank - 9/4/13 at 2:43pm
post #107 of 152

I assume that Samsung went with a cradle to minimize the hassle of charging.  Leave the cradle plugged in at all times and just drop the watch onto it.

But a cradle seems a little unApple-ish, so I wonder what their solution might be (assuming that Apple does in fact release a wrist computer/phone companion/biometric/watch thing).  They have the Lightening connector, which is tiny and orientation agnostic.  Perhaps that's easy enough to skip the cradle? 

I would guess Samsung wanted a cradle so you wouldn't have to rely on microUSB, which is a bit fussy.  I should note that Apple doesn't always follow "standards" just to be contrary; but because it gives their customers a more pleasant experience-- even when it comes to something as seemingly trivial as a connector.

Edited by signal1 - 9/4/13 at 2:44pm
post #108 of 152
Hey guys! The next piece of shit is here!! Hahaha the watch looks like the next big thing big thing guys haha apple must be very scared lol ;D
post #109 of 152
Ehhh
Edited by 1983 - 9/4/13 at 2:19pm
post #110 of 152

Wow, Samsung took the bait and came out with a watch.  Watch itself is just a bad idea.  I don't think Apple is coming out with its own watch.  It was just a diversion to lure competitors to go into something that's just going to fail.

post #111 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by signal1 View Post

Also, about that 4k video capacity in the new Note:  WTF?  How is that useful or reasonable?  You'll generate gigantic files funneled through a shitty little phone camera lens.

Remember this post of yours when iPhones add 4k video recording capability at some point down the road.

post #112 of 152

If Apple do indeed make a watch-like device. It won't be coming in 2013 and when it does come it won't be called the iWatch. I'd wager on iBand most likely.

post #113 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

How is it copying if Apple hasn't made one? It's a dumb idea, yes. But copying? No.
It's really easy when the details of everything you are working on is leaked 8-12 months before it's even announced. If that was my business model I would live on the Apple fan sites for info then go patent digging to see how they are doing it then throw something together to beat them to market so people like you can say: they didn't copy, they announced theirs a week earlier.
post #114 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by genovelle View Post

It's really easy when the details of everything you are working on is leaked 8-12 months before it's even announced. If that was my business model I would live on the Apple fan sites for info then go patent digging to see how they are doing it then throw something together to beat them to market so people like you can say: they didn't copy, they announced theirs a week earlier.

Which details were leaked about an Apple smart watch that Samsung copied?

post #115 of 152
The iWatch was Apple's way to making the idiots at Samsung spend their time and money and they took the bait. No that the world ha seen the ugly version, Apple will come out with the gold standard for a watch. :-)
post #116 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post

Did you like the lackluster applause at the end?  He even had to ask for it.  That really sets the standard by which you could judge the event.

Yes. Yes I did. 

I was really LMAO when I watched it. That guy really had me going. And then the way he was trying to set up the next presenter with dumb questions! LOLOLOLOL!!! 

I was on CNET website making my rounds checking for new Apple rumors and there it was. So I took the plunge.

Are they all like that? That was the first I've seen. 

post #117 of 152
Fantatstic news , now Apple will be able to show the current state of the Art by displaying pictures of current crop of smartwatches and listing the faults just like whe the iPhoen came out before going on to showing us the way it should be designed! Thnaks Sammy for giving us linear thinking, Apple will show us lateral thinking!

Originally Posted by Rickers - 2014

Cook & Co will bury Apple.  They can only ride Steve's ghost for so long.  Steve == Apple and Apple == Steve.  

Originally Posted by Rickers - 2014

Cook & Co will bury Apple.  They can only ride Steve's ghost for so long.  Steve == Apple and Apple == Steve.  

post #118 of 152

OMG a blue light for their power connector.   INNOVATION!!!!!!!!!  OMG.   Hold me back!

post #119 of 152
I, for one, am really happy Samsung revealed their watch before apple. So, by the time apple releases theirs, Samsung will be seen for the copycats they are. But then again, lots of people will praise them for the price drop and because "it was natural evolution".

I don't know if apple did it on purpose to wait for Samsung to do the first move. But I'm happy they did, and it takes a ton of guts.
Wait... Do your product right, don't care about the apocalyptic press and the pseudo bold competitors. Follow your own agenda. It takes a lot of confidence...

Long story short: this watch will NOT SELL! Apple will release one next year, Samsung will copy it and the crow will go wild because it is "so cool not to like apple" and buy it in droves.
But apple will still make a profit and sell fantastically.

Just one side note: Samsung and Apple will have to sell a ton of wearable to get the same money as they do on phones if the prices are these.

For the people complaining about the visible screws.. Look Hublot watches, which are the coolest trend in watches right now. Samsung copied their screw design (they have that habit...). Screws are the only hint of "cool" they tried to bake into the phone... Showing the current weather for the actual location? Why not just write "oh, look up and figure it out yourself"...
post #120 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

Remember this post of yours when iPhones add 4k video recording capability at some point down the road.

If they do, it will be because camera lens technology has sufficiently advanced so that 4k can actually contribute to image quality, and/or phone storage/cloud bandwidth have become sufficient to handle huge video files. 

Apple users have had years to grow accustom to your type-- PC users could be relied on to bray about specs and haunt Apple boards (on account of being pathetic and all).  Now Android is the new refuge for platform twats to gobble on about screen sizes and multi-giga and my number is bigger than yours.  But of course you have to go out of your way to seek out Apple users to spray Cheetos crumbs on, because just liking what you have isn't enough, is it?  You have to beat someone, because God knows you probably don't get many opportunities to do that in day to day life.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung shows off Galaxy Note 3 'phablet', new Note 10.1 tablet, Galaxy Gear smart watch