or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Inside Samsung's Galaxy Note 3 & Gear media blitz in Times Square

Inside Samsung's Galaxy Note 3 & Gear media blitz in Times Square - Page 2

post #41 of 91
Why does Samsung just shame themselves by releasing stupid watch before Apple ? Who do u think u are ? U are just a shameless copycat .
post #42 of 91
could not resist - gushing video - but look how sluggish it is -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6PCLXgKhbk
post #43 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

They're also spending quite a bit on product placement, almost every time a smartphone is shown on a TV show or movie it's a Samsung.

In that show Under The Dome, the whole town only uses Microsoft Surface tablets. Weirdest town ever.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #44 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

Ugh. Sluggish doesn't begin to describe it.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #45 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnfetteredMind View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Those slotted screws look tacky. Even I know whenever you use slotted screws in a finished application such as on electrical switch plates. etc, you always make sure that the slots are aligned, not just Helter Skelter any random angle they end up. No attention to detail.

I thought I was going to be the only anal-retentive freak to notice this ;)

Well I guess it is appropriate to have them misaligned if the torque being correct is the more important factor. For example in cabinetry it looks nice having them align but that means all the screws are either over tightened or loosened to some degree up to 90°. In the case of antique fire arms when the esthetics require the slots to align, what some would do is tighten them to the proper torque and then mark the desired alignment. Then remove the screw, weld up the slot finish the head smooth and recut the slot at the desired angle. I suppose there is a case to be made for both scenarios as mentioned previously 

Edited by mstone - 9/4/13 at 4:20pm

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #46 of 91

kill it before it lays eggs...

(stolen from another site - no apology)

post #47 of 91

Sad thing too about the Gear is it is only a companion or interacts with the Galaxy Note III only.  It won't work with any other Galaxy phones.  What a fugly wrist phone.

post #48 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwyatt View Post

The new microsoft

No, no, no, Microsoft used "Where would you like to go today?", Samsung is using "What would you like to do?".

Obviously Samsung is completely different.

A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
post #49 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

In that show Under The Dome, the whole town only uses Microsoft Surface tablets. Weirdest town ever.

Maybe that's why they are in a dome. Could be worse, everyone could have Kins.
post #50 of 91

So Apple events are sold out within 60 minutes while Samsung has beg and bribe random passerby (with no life?) to sit down and watch as they unveil their "innovations".

Pathetic. 

post #51 of 91

They actually released that watch with fanfare? It's bloody hideous!!

I'm really praying Apple has some better ideas up their sleeve.

I'll stick with this for now, it's served me well for a long time and still gets looks

post #52 of 91
Quote:

Ah, c'mon!  There's "super awesome stuff going on here!" plus "The boxes are super cool!".  

Totally dude! ;)

/s

Must - find - barf - bag

post #53 of 91
Samsung's bribing of people walking through Times Square reeks of desperation -- just a little less desperate than its rush to beat Apple with the watch. The Zune will be a smashing success in comparison.
post #54 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

Here is what I find interesting and I think many people are thinking the same thing. iWatch, is it a real wrist watch or something else, did the  competitors rush to out market Apple on a product which was not what they thought. Someone here already eluded to, iwatch could be the next apple TV, they may have renamed it so not to confuse people with ITV which is a completely different experience.

I am thinking that apple has now move on to the next great thing while Samsung and other are trying to out pace apple on the Phone side only to find that Apple has now move into a completely different market. Apple did it with the Ipad, everyone was chasing the next phone only to be blind side on the table side. Everyone was think about the next ipod only to find out that apple was planning a phone.

It would not surprise me at this point to hear next week that apple announces the new phones with iOS 7 as expect but they show off the real iwatch which is not a wrist watch. Then watch the competition say but what about the watch we though you were making a watch.

People care about their health. No more so than those who exercise or play sports. This is a large sector of most communities. A watch-like device is very, very convenient under these circumstances for quickly viewing whatever parameters are displayed. Useful parameters such as heart rate, speed, power output, distance covered, time, cadence, location, interval performance and management, blood oxygen and lactic acid levels during exercise, blood glucose levels, body temperature, predicted performance at current rates etc, require sensory input. Apple has displayed an interest in this field, such as seen in the alliance with Nike. Therefore, it seems that if Apple is interested in wearable computing that any device be capable of interrogating the body or convenient sensors. Remote methods of determining valuable parameters have been studied for some time, such as here - http://spie.org/x48866.xml. (The speckle technique discussed here is interesting, as Apple's mouse would employ laser speckle to determine movement.) It is conceivable that a wearable Apple device could therefore be capable of determining some parameters quite independently and either display these or send the data to an iPhone for further action such as alerting the wearer (or medical service) to possible harm. (Interestingly, differential measures show promise in better predicting the onset of a potentially harmful condition - http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/different-blood-pressure-in-right-and-left-arms-could-signal-trouble-201202014174. Perhaps Apple could release dual, networked, wearable devices lol.)

If Apple were to release an iWatch, it would provide greater functionality than currently available devices, hopefully preparing a new chapter in biometrics and personal, health and fitness networking even if relying on a iPhone for some of the processing or communications tasks. Great opportunities present for Apple that Samesung's announcement hasn't sullied.

All the best.

Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
post #55 of 91
Agree with everyone who wonders if Iwatch was just a fake out for the competitors. Perhaps Tim Cook will say that the head is the next frontier of wearable tech. So next year Samsung will reveal the Internet Hat? Hair band?

Will we all be laughing at this watch and Google Glass in a year?
post #56 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Android users must be looking forward to moving from phablets to wriblets...
As far as the SamWatch, "clunky" as one poster said comes to mind.
I will not lie as a consumer I really want an iPhablet but can make due with an iPhone & a mini iPad.
As an investor I envision the all in 1 Phablet disrupting the PC/small smart phone/tablet market in emerging markets & having a large impact in the western worlds as well.
post #57 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Yes... Keep spending massive amounts of cash on those questionable promotions Samsung, while Apple lets the world beat a path to their door. In fact, Samsung should buy up ALL of the advertising slots for the next Super Bowl.
Samsung already like spends 3 times more in advertising, but 1 apple commercial and 100 Samsung will still allow apple to win.
post #58 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

Samsung already like spends 3 times more in advertising, but 1 apple commercial and 100 Samsung will still allow apple to win.

Win what?
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
post #59 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

Win what?

Mind share, customer satisfaction, devotion, loyalty, respect, admiration, brand recognition, enviable profit margins not to mention stock value.

post #60 of 91
Dumbest watch idea! period.
When Samsung learn to make technology work for purpose, not just for the sake of technology like its Samsung Galaxy which full of technology but most not really useful.

1. Why I need a camera and video?
2. I need much longer battery life.
3. Display SMS and time, simple notification etc that shown by a phone.
4. Simple remote for control music.
5. Heart rate etc monitoring.

If it cost $300, it needs to be really compensated for a phone but just a separated gadget.

Sorry, Samsung, I am not a geek.
post #61 of 91
Quote:

That's actually a pretty watch- the gold is nice if it were smaller for a girl (or for a big girl). But girls won't buy this. Nerds will. Hence why it won't be successful. When apples watch comes out it'll be hip and successful. Not to mention not huge, clunky, sluggish, etc. people wonder why apple "takes so long" sometimes... They get it right. You see that lag? Apple wouldn't want their name on that crap.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #62 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennettvista View Post

Maybe Apple's "iWatch" is just an elaborate fake plan.

I'm buying the talk that it is their 'TV'. Apple won't risk iTV broadcasting suing and they might want to get folks off the notion of a TV so it's really a collection of services for viewing video material be it off a computer, iPad or with the Apple TV.

But everyone is all wrapped up with their iTV naming they assume watch means a thing on the wrist
post #63 of 91
Samsung's design leaves a lot to be desired...but are we really surprised by that?
post #64 of 91
If those pictures of the Galaxy Gear are indicative of the brightness of the so-called "Super AMOLED screen", I certainly wouldn't want one of them. Definitely not bright enough. Notice they aren't in direct sunlight, and there's certainly no flash reflection causing them to appear so dim. And just my opinion, but the camera lens in the wrist strap (not shown in the pics here) looks like a sizable wart at first glance.
post #65 of 91
I certainly hope (and do have faith) that Apple is paying attention to the mostly negative consumer comments I'm reading on sites like this, CNN, Engadget, etc. If Apple puts out something with similar functionality it will flop regardless of how smooth it might look. In any event, odds are smart watches will be a niche market no matter who makes 'em.
post #66 of 91
Know what I don't get? Watch bands wear out. If I gotta take this damn thing off every night to charge in its cradle the watch band is gonna wear out mighty quick. Is this watch band even replaceable?! It sure doesn't seem like it and most definitely not affordably if there's a fricking camera and speaker and other crap built into the watch band!

Many people are suggesting the next big thing is wearables that help you track your health. For many people that means working out. Athletics (sweat, friction, impacts) are also gonna take a toll on the watch band.

Unless I'm really missing something I'm so completely underwhelmed. Blah.
post #67 of 91
Samsung is screwed! Seriously, that is one ugly watch. Glad it doesn't carry the Apple logo.
post #68 of 91
Wearing screen based technology will never become mainstream at least within my life time, it is far too dorky. Unless it's a genuine retro 2 way wrist video
post #69 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by iqof48 View Post

There doesn't seem to be a clock in any of these screen shots. Surely the home screen would display the time!

The watch can be tacked on with a widget ;)

post #70 of 91

Looks like for 1/10 of the price, you get a smarter, faster and more useable device like this one:

Apart from obviously being too painfully slow to actually be used, the Gear also looks like a really cheap Chinese watch that you'd pull out of a bubblegum dispenser. They may be up there in terms of technology, but boy do they need a designer who can tell his arse from a hole in the ground...

Matyoroy!
Matyoroy!
post #71 of 91
Remember how everyone scrambled to make tablets ahead of the iPad's rumored announcement? Deja vu. We see how that one ended.
post #72 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Mind share, customer satisfaction, devotion, loyalty, respect, admiration, brand recognition, enviable profit margins not to mention stock value.

One doesn't win that, one earns it.
post #73 of 91
There's a few vids on utube that show it off pretty thoroughly.

The time is the home screen, and it will support prev samsung phones (S3&4) with software update.

Camera in strap though? Hmmm, I like the idea of a camera being ready quicker for some pics, but a 1.9 megapixel photo? I see it's got autofocus which makes a big difference in it being worth ever using, but 1.9 has never really been a useable size for much, and after the novelty wears off is it likely to be used again?

And a view finder screen that small? After using iPhone most cameras are painful to use with viewfinders as small as the watch.

I imagined something with a smoother and sleeker design too, and not quite so square.

Although maybe not big enough screen, this one is the more realistic concepts I've seen so far:

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2013/08/15/iwatch-concept-photos/

I'm probably the target market for a smart watch - after not wearing one for years I got a watch for work a few years ago, and wear it 24/7 now. I run a lot and want something to link to the nike + app and show me stats and control the app on the phone.

I don't think the samsung one looks like something I'd want yet.

My toss up at the moment is to get a nike GPS watch that will upload runs and sync w the iphone through their website, vs waiting for a iWatch (or similar).

I like the idea of quick look notifications etc, but not sure if there's much else that is necessary.

On another related note - from what i can find, the nike GPS watch hasn't been updated for a year and a half, and Tom Tom who they partnered with for it now have their own separate product.

For a reasonably successful product it seems odd they haven't updated it, unless they're partnering with a much bigger company (eg. Apple) for something yet to be announced?
post #74 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by iRon man View Post

Although maybe not big enough screen, this one is the more realistic concepts I've seen so far

Having a circular display would definitely set it apart. It would come with some difficulty mapping software to it but unique:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/05/15/lcd_circular_display/

The camera unit is perhaps a bit too small as a sensor has to fit behind that somewhere but a good enough concept. It needs a charging port too or some inductive charging solution.
post #75 of 91
Yeah, battery one of biggest issues, maybe if it was indispensable I'd remember to put it back on after charging, but my current one I tend to forget if I take it off.

Plus I'm pretty sure I'm on my original battery from 7 years ago for my g-shock.

Video calling looks out if the question too w samsung camera placement
post #76 of 91
Ah, and the answering a call on the watch trick with the samsung by holding your hand up like holding a phone... Would take a bit if getting used to, but using the included headset from iPhones and looking like talking to yourself isn't too unusual.

Biggest problem that came to mind for me is that I always hold my phone to talk with my dominant hand, and wear my watch in the other. That's a lot of long term muscle memory to change...
post #77 of 91
Egad! That is one fugly watch. Nice screws, tho.
post #78 of 91

The Note 3 looks great.

post #79 of 91

One thing Samsung got right on the Note 3 and the GS4 is increasing the display size while keeping the actual phone about the same size. The forehead and the chin areas of the iPhone takes up a lot of space. The iconic home button will likely remain circular instead of oblong so not much they can do to reduce the footprint of the chin area but surely they could reduce the forehead area. Right now I am debating whether to get the Note 3 or iPhone 5S. I really want the larger display that will be easier on my eyes but also prefer iOS and would have problems not being able to transfer certain apps over. I will decide once both have been released and I can compare in person. I am just so tired of this tiny screen even though I love everything else. 

Here is a 4.5" rendering of an iPhone that would be not much larger than the current iPhone 5. Just a tad wider.

Edited by gwmac - 9/5/13 at 9:41am

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. 

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. 

post #80 of 91
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Inside Samsung's Galaxy Note 3 & Gear media blitz in Times Square