or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › New high-res pics may again show Apple's 'iPhone 5S' fingerprint sensor

New high-res pics may again show Apple's 'iPhone 5S' fingerprint sensor

post #1 of 64
Another leaked part allegedly for Apple's next-generation "iPhone 5S" claims to show the fingerprint scanning component that is expected to be concealed under the handset's home button.

Home
A component claimed to be Apple's "iPhone 5S" fingerprint scanner. Pictures via Sonny Dickson.

The new high-resolution images published on Thursday by Sonny Dickson show a circular component that is presumed to fit underneath the iPhone home button. At its center is what could be the fingerprint scanning mechanism.

Lending some credibility to the validity of the part is the fact that it's identical to another component shown off on Tuesday in lower-resolution images. But the latest pictures give an even better look at the part that could be the defining feature of Apple's next flagship iPhone.

Home
A component claimed to be Apple's "iPhone 5S" fingerprint scanner. Pictures via Sonny Dickson.

The leaked parts show a home button component that is considerably more complex than the component Apple used in the current-generation iPhone 5. Another leak from last month also suggested that Apple has implemented a number of internal design tweaks to accommodate a scanner beneath the home button.

Evidence of the rumored feature was also discovered in a beta of iOS 7. A reference to a "Biometric Kit" and another describing an image of a person placing their thumb over the home button for "recognition" were found hidden within the pre-release software.

Home

The rumored "iPhone 5S" feature is believed to be powered by Apple's $356 million acquisition of AuthenTec last summer. The firm described that its "semiconductor-based sensors are based on both capacitive and radio frequency (RF) technology that detects an image of the fingerprint ridge and valley pattern beneath the surface of the skin, thus capturing sharp and clear fingerprint patterns from the live layer."

AppleInsider noted more than a year ago that AuthenTec's AES850 component, called "the world?s smallest authentication/navigation smart sensor in a durable package," appeared capable of serving as an iPhone home button. Such a feature could allow an iPhone to securely and quickly identify a user for tasks such as unlocking the device or entering a password.
post #2 of 64
None of this makes any kind of sense at all. I suppose all will be revealed soon though.
post #3 of 64

Certainly looks different than the current home button. Only five days until we hear all about it officially :)

post #4 of 64
They need to give Siri different vocals. I need my iPhone to have HAL's voice and greet me when it realizes it's me via fingerprint sensor.
post #5 of 64
Thank you, Sonny Dickson.

Who needs WikiLeaks when there's iPhoneLeaks

1smile.gif
post #6 of 64
This is *considerably* smaller than the AES850 sensor though. What is this?
post #7 of 64
Lordy, lordy how I hope this is true. Innovation can come in small degrees and be mind blowing. Right now my iPad is without password protection because I am a lazy sod. Machete at my side is my only protection until fingerprint button comes. Then my only worry will be the safety of my index finger, to which am quite attached. 1biggrin.gif

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

post #8 of 64

One has to wonder whether they could pull fingerprints from the photo of the hand?

post #9 of 64
That same name keeps coming up in leaks... Surely with that many billion in the bank he could be tracked and "silenced"...

Gotta wonder how he gets the stuff, and if he's actually raking in much cash from it?
post #10 of 64
Here is a picture of the blackberry optical trackpad for comparison:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item-img/Touch-sensitive-optical-trackpad-Trackball-Mouse-For-Blackberry-curve-9300/517314210.html#

Long FB, AMZN
Schlong AAPL

Long FB, AMZN
Schlong AAPL

post #11 of 64
What part of this does the finger slide over?
post #12 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhikl View Post

Lordy, lordy how I hope this is true. Innovation can come in small degrees and be mind blowing. Right now my iPad is without password protection because I am a lazy sod. Machete at my side is my only protection until fingerprint button comes. Then my only worry will be the safety of my index finger, to which am quite attached. 1biggrin.gif

mine too - i wics there was a method that some apps could be launched (selected by user) without entering a password, safari, video, kindle etc.. Anytime i lend my iPad to my kids or anyone else while im driving, means i gotta enter a password, or tell them out loud. Now my email and anything else sort of private is exposed.

post #13 of 64

I would so love having my phone have Hal's voice. What a treat that would be.

post #14 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwal View Post

One has to wonder whether they could pull fingerprints from the photo of the hand?

No, they can't. It needs to scan multiple skin layers of a finger to be useful, lifting a print by any conventional methods won't work.

It's only after you've lost everything that you're free to do anything.

Tyler Durden | Fight Club

post #15 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhikl View Post

I have to believe these days these things can detect if the finger is alive and well .... I have seen too many movies with removed eyeballs, fingers and hands!
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #16 of 64
Consider all the high quality leaks for the iPhone 5s and 5c. We know what they look like, we have seen their components, the boxes they come it. There is video of a 5c running with the screen on. Here is a detailed photo of the 5s fingerprint sensor. OK now ask yourself why there has not been one single leaked photo of the iWatch? Does it not really exist or is Apple building it in a super secret assembly like using robots?
post #17 of 64
Now that is one sexy, sexy component.
post #18 of 64
That's all nice but real innovation is a fricking big-ass screen. Apple is doomed if they don't release an iPhone in 4",4.5",5",5.5",6" sizes! Doooooooomed! /s
post #19 of 64

I don't think the finger has to slide over with the Authentec scanners. You just touch it. 

post #20 of 64
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
What part of this does the finger slide over?

Have you ever slid your finger over your Home Button? There will be no sliding.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

post #21 of 64
I really hope it more than just a finger print sensor... The problem with current sensor technology is that it takes time to register a "passing" value. When we were at Disney, they had fingerprint scanners which took 10 seconds to recognize you as being you. Sometimes the process had to be repeated%u2026

Can you imagine having to unlock your ringing phone while you wait for your finger to be registered or losing "in the moment picture" because your phone won%u2019t unlock fast enough? I don%u2019t know. I guess I will and see how it is implemented.
post #22 of 64
Has there been any info (rumors) as to how many fingers a device will be allowed to store for recognition?

I mean sometimes I use my index finger, sometimes my thumb, or my wife wants to borrow the phone. Will a device be trainable for several people - I'd hope so.
1rolleyes.gif
post #23 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

I really hope it more than just a finger print sensor... The problem with current sensor technology is that it takes time to register a "passing" value. When we were at Disney, they had fingerprint scanners which took 10 seconds to recognize you as being you. Sometimes the process had to be repeated%u2026

Can you imagine having to unlock your ringing phone while you wait for your finger to be registered or losing "in the moment picture" because your phone won%u2019t unlock fast enough? I don%u2019t know. I guess I will and see how it is implemented.

You can do both of those things now without unlocking the phone so I'd expect that wont change....
post #24 of 64
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post
Such a feature could allow an iPhone to securely and quickly identify a user for tasks such as unlocking the device or entering a password.

So, you press the home button to wake the iPhone and unlock it.  Fine.

But tapping the home button to enter password?  Not sure if that would work.

User would have to tap (or swipe) lightly enough to not click the home button.

Otherwise they'd pop out of the app and back to the home page.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #25 of 64

Authentec's fingerprint sensor is a long strip that you have to slide your thumb across it. It captures a few lines of fingerprint at a time. As you slide your fingerprint, then it forms the full image. Some processing is needed to compensate for differences in movement speed and to straighten the image since there might be some twist in the sliding of the finger.

This is just looks like a pinhole that can only capture a small portion of a thumb print.

post #26 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Eleven View Post

They need to give Siri different vocals. I need my iPhone to have HAL's voice and greet me when it realizes it's me via fingerprint sensor.

You NEED your phone to do this when it REALIZES it's YOU?

Folks, I think we have here a new form of selfhood, putting it as kindly as I can. The connected device in your hand now defines who you are and knows what you want.

To be expected, I suppose. If the portable printed book created the private individual, the portable electronic world communicator would create the connected narcissist. Thus all the "they need" and "I need for you" phrases that one hears tossed around in the U.S. these days. As if "I" am so important that "they" or "you" NEED to do what I say.

I can assure you it wasn't always this way. The "need" phrases used imperatively started spreading about twenty years ago.

By the way, a synthesized HAL voice might not measure up to the fantasy tape you're running in your head.
post #27 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by semi_guy View Post

Authentec's fingerprint sensor is a long strip that you have to slide your thumb across it. It captures a few lines of fingerprint at a time. As you slide your fingerprint, then it forms the full image. Some processing is needed to compensate for differences in movement speed and to straighten the image since there might be some twist in the sliding of the finger.

This is just looks like a pinhole that can only capture a small portion of a thumb print.

No, Authentec's fingerprint sensor WAS a long strip. We aren't sure what it is anymore and the component above could very well be the reason Apple bought them in the first place. We don't know how this differs from their previous work but we DO know that it was quite an advancement over what they had perviously created for others and what was available in the market prior to Apples purchase.

post #28 of 64
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post
By the way, a synthesized HAL voice might not measure up to the fantasy tape you're running in your head.

Particularly since the original guy won't record any more for a baseline.

post #29 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

That's kind of my worry too – that users will be so used to interfacing with the Home Button through a click that an attempt to authenticate would actually kick them out of an app.

I think we just need to wait til the 10th to see implementation.

post #30 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

would rather have Marvin from BBC TV series HHGG. It would nt seem so bad when Siri fails to deliver (which is does, all too often)

post #31 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Not to mention the fact that having HAL's voice on your phone would be the same as having a tag that identifies you as a senior citizen.  

2001 is considered by all the "young-uns" (under 30 years old) to be a really boring old movie at this point.  You can get the 1080p version in the under ten bucks section on iTunes now.

post #32 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by calfoto View Post

Has there been any info (rumors) as to how many fingers a device will be allowed to store for recognition?

I mean sometimes I use my index finger, sometimes my thumb, or my wife wants to borrow the phone. Will a device be trainable for several people - I'd hope so.
1rolleyes.gif

It would only be handy if you could use a finger from each hand at minimum.  

Also, not everyone has all their fingers, so it has to be at least slightly adjustable. 

post #33 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I have to believe these days these things can detect if the finger is alive and well .... I have seen too many movies with removed eyeballs, fingers and hands!
From patents I've seen, this uses the differing capacitance of the grooves of the finger for a reading, so it needs a real, and an alive hand.

The only thing that concerns me is that it's so small. Fingerprints are much larger. I don't understand how it will read enough of it to be consistent from reading to reading if one doesn't always put the same spot of the finger down. It's more of a partial fingerprint reader.
post #34 of 64
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Not to mention the fact that having HAL's voice on your phone would be the same as having a tag that identifies you as a senior citizen. 2001 is considered by all the "young-uns" (under 30 years old) to be a really boring old movie at this point.

And pish posh to that, really. If it's not fast-paced, has explosions, and "hot chicks", they don't care. And they miss out on things like 2001, 12 Angry Men, and Mr. Smith Goes to Washington…

post #35 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

That's assuming that during the event Apple doesn't disable the click recognition.
post #36 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by semi_guy View Post

This is a very different technology.
post #37 of 64

How did they smuggle that part out ?

post #38 of 64
Quote:

Oh, good point, since photos are known to have similar capacitance as fingertips.

post #39 of 64

Not sure why all this angst.

If how Apple implements the fingerprint sensor won't work for you, turn it off.

post #40 of 64
Quote:

I don't think so, tj. Read that it has to be a real finger, & hopefully with a pulse.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › New high-res pics may again show Apple's 'iPhone 5S' fingerprint sensor