or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › WSJ again claims Apple working on larger-screened iPhones up to 6" diagonal [u]

WSJ again claims Apple working on larger-screened iPhones up to 6" diagonal [u]

post #1 of 132
Apple is reportedly testing a variety of next-generation iPhones with larger screen sizes, some up to six inches diagonally, though the devices are not expected to roll out at next week's media event.

iPhone Plus
Mockup of iPhone with 4.94-inch screen, created by Marco Arment.

According to Wall Street Journal reporter Ian Sherr, sources say Apple is experimenting with large-format smartphones, also called "phablets," with display sizes ranging from 4.8 inches to 6 inches akin to products made by rival Samsung.

The sources claim internal discussions are finding Apple more open to launching a phablet iPhone. The company just last year upped the smartphone's screen to a 4-inch panel, the first such change in display size since the iPhone first hit the market in 2007.

Component suppliers say Apple has become particularly interested in the 4.8-inch form factor after recent tests.

The WSJ conveyed identical rumors in July, reporting that larger format iPhones may also be joined by a 13-inch iPad.

During Apple's quarterly conference call in April, CEO Tim Cook was asked about the possibility of an iPhone phablet. He said the company would not ship a device with a larger screen until solutions are found for certain "trade-offs," including battery life, color reproduction and longevity among others. Cook had no comment on whether Apple is experimenting with bigger iPhone products, though it can speculated that the company is at least toying with the idea.

Update: This story was originally based on a tweet and has since been updated to reflect all available information.
post #2 of 132
Edited: Okay I cede to the intelligent opinions of this group and I retract my suggestion that the WSJ writer is trying to dampen public enthusiasm for the new iPhones by suggesting that even better, bigger iPhones are coming soon.

The public knows that Apple would never release even big screen phones right away after the impending announcement. Conclusion: My post was utterly wrong.
Edited by 512ke - 9/5/13 at 3:15pm
post #3 of 132
Emphasize the word "working". I'm sure Apple is (or has) testing many different sizes for current and future products. Apple has been doing that for years. It's called "R&D". Is this WSJ writer just trying to get his 3.5 minutes of instant Apple gratification via web hits?

Oh wait... never mind.
post #4 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

sources say Apple is actively experimenting with large-format smartphones, also called "phablets," with display sizes akin to products made by rival Samsung.

Experimenting != Producing

Honestly without a proper pressure sensitive stylus, it would be much less useful either way.

post #5 of 132
IMO- if they would make the 4.9 size phone (fine phablet... what ever, many people like the size), then allow a bit more openness for lock screen management / keyboards etc that should take away ~90% of Android users usual complaints about iOS (understanding more comnplaints, real or imagined, will be identified soon after).
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
post #6 of 132

Let's be fair and acknowledge the fact that Apply may be (not is) copying Samsung this time with the phablet.

*Waits for Applefans to portray this the wrong way in 3...2...*

post #7 of 132
Yay, iPhone 6 rumors are getting started! Its about time!
Joking aside, if you read the iOS7 design guidelines it is pretty obvious that they are prepping developers for a variety of screensizes. This device refresh is the last we will see just 3 screen ratios (currently 16x9, 4x3, 3x2) and pixel dimensions in my opinion.
post #8 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-Daddy View Post

Let's be fair and acknowledge the fact that Apply may be (not is) copying Samsung this time with the phablet.

They simply won't do that unless they can figure out how to solve the current trade off's

post #9 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikilok View Post

They simply won't do that unless they can figure out how to solve the current trade off's

Right. But if they do figure that out, then they will be copying Samsung's display size. 

post #10 of 132
Quote:

Right. But if they do figure that out, then they will be copying Samsung's display size. 
Would it really matter that much? Apple would get teased a little like they did with the iPad mini and then everyone would move on.
post #11 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Roberts View Post

Yay, iPhone 6 rumors are getting started! Its about time!
Joking aside, if you read the iOS7 design guidelines it is pretty obvious that they are prepping developers for a variety of screensizes. This device refresh is the last we will see just 3 screen ratios (currently 16x9, 4x3, 3x2) and pixel dimensions in my opinion.
Wait - what iOS device uses a 3x2 ratio?
post #12 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

Would it really matter that much? Apple would get teased a little like they did with the iPad mini and then everyone would move on.

Everyone would move on, and rightfully so. But there would be a lot of egg on the faces of many of the usual posters of this site that type as fast as they can to get their Samsung-copying comments posted. 

post #13 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

"WSJ publishes speculative article trying to dampen public's willingness to buy about-to-be-released iPhones."

Won't work. New phones will sell like crazy. Stock is going up.

I don't believe your accusation that WSJ has a specific agenda to limit sales of the new iPhone.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

post #14 of 132

In the last 17 years, Apple has tended not to make utter crap. Why would anyone believe this?

And Apple doesn't copy Samsung.

Originally Posted by reydn View Post
Wait - what iOS device uses a 3x2 ratio?

All iPhones and iPod touches with a 3.5" screen…

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #15 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

In the last 17 years, Apple has tended not to make utter crap. Why would anyone believe this?

And Apple doesn't copy Samsung.

All iPhones and iPod touches with a 3.5" screen…

Samsung makes a phablet first. Apple makes one after. 

I'm purely comparing screen sizes of a product, nothing more. So yes, Apple would be copying Samsung. Just like when Samsung copied Apple with a tablet. 

post #16 of 132
I've been anticipating a gap-filling 6" device from Apple for some time. The "iPad Nano" perhaps?

Eventually: 13" iPad "Pro", 10" iPad, 8" iPad Mini, 6" iPad "Nano" (hybrid phone/pad?), 4" iPhone, 4" iPod Touch%u2026

That 6" middle-ground device could incorporate their evolving voice-based communication (FaceTime, now with the Audio-only feature coming with iOS7), or provide a cellular-based voice option. Either way, between FaceTime and Skype, not much prevents a person from using any iOS device as a 'phone'. Perhaps this will take that further.

By the time it might release, I also see no reason to need to put it up to your head (like a handset). Headphones, bluetooth headset, speaker%u2026 for some even a 'smart watch' option might work. Plenty of options to easily imagine there.

I like the potential in any case!
post #17 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

"WSJ publishes speculative article trying to dampen public's willingness to buy about-to-be-released iPhones."

Won't work. New phones will sell like crazy. Stock is going up.

No.  Check your price again.  It's down over $3 today.

post #18 of 132
Quote:

I'm purely comparing screen sizes of a product, nothing more. So yes, Apple would be copying Samsung. Just like when Samsung copied Apple with a tablet. 

Plus the iPhone-c.  Why come out with a cheap plastic version like Samsung?  Apple shouldn't get into the non-profit cheap market at all.

post #19 of 132
For every yes there are thousands of no's.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #20 of 132
Quote:

Not taking it wrong. Although I disagree. It's more about what people like. If they were doing it to copy Samsung they would've done it before now.

But all these large phones have created a need and lust for them.

Now Apple must respond.

I drank the cool-aid when apple made the 5 and said portability and one handed use is their focus.

I like the size and function of the 5

But....

Markets and options change and grow

I now would love to try a larger phone. The HTC One is a perfect size for me.

I think this is Apple's biggest weakness now.

All Phone models on the market need to have at least 3 different siZes now.

Mini Medium And Large. You can keep the max phablets lol

Samsung has gone a bit overboard with their sizes. But apple can afford one larger format.

I think a 4.8 to 5" screen would be their top seller.

Next year I hope. If not I would be greatly disappointed.
post #21 of 132

I think we will see an iPhone where the entire front panel is display and the home button becomes capacitative. It's really only a matter of time IMO. I think iOS 7 really points to that. I imagine we'll see a phone with a 5 inch display/front panel and an overall smaller footprint and form factor than the current 5.

post #22 of 132
Quote:

So, Apple made a 4:3 ratio 8" iPad Mini, and that's "copying everyone else's 16:9 ratio 7" tablets" just because they made a smaller iPad? What screen sizes are you referring to / comparing exactly? Where has Apple "copied" the screen sizes of someone else's tablet or phone? I'm looking for historical precedent to back up your premise here.

Who said that Apple upsizing the phone screen size would a) in any way match Samsung's screen sizes (I would note that once again Samsung has upsized their tablets from 7" to 8" to "match" Apple), or b) that doing so would label it a "phablet" much less constitute "copying"? And finally, what happened to your old "natural progression of technology" argument in support of Samsung's copying?? Gone when it no longer favors your favorite?

You sure do play loose with the idea of "copying". The industry cranks out "standard" sized 20" LCD screens, so everyone makes 20" monitors, but they each pack it with differentiating features, colors, design aesthetics, etc. YOU call that "copying" in this case because a screen is the same size? And then say that is synonymous with Samsing going from crappy busy handsets bristliong with buttons to a handset Samsung's LAWYERS coudln't differentiate from an iPhone and call that the SAME?

post #23 of 132
Quote:

It would be difficult for Apple to produce any screen size that Samsung haven't already produced.
Edited by Crosslad - 9/5/13 at 2:53pm
post #24 of 132
Quote:

No, you lied through your teeth, poorly, and with intent to troll. "Pretty much" isn't anywhere near sufficient, particularly when you know better.

You have proof that Apple is producing a phablet and you have plans or prior art that it was in development before any knowledge of the Galaxy Note?

Doubtful.

Stop throwing around accusations of lying, especially when you're up against opinion.

censored

censored

post #25 of 132

Wait!  WHAT?  Apple experimenting with something?  ???  

Color me absolutely shocked...I mean...you know...like...beyond belief.  

Must lie down now.

post #26 of 132
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

You have proof that Apple is producing a phablet and you have plans or prior art that it was in development before any knowledge of the Galaxy Note?

I have proof that Apple making a phablet ≠ Apple copying Samsung.

post #27 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

So, Apple made a 4:3 ratio 8" iPad Mini, and that's "copying everyone else's 16:9 ratio 7" tablets" just because they made a smaller iPad? What screen sizes are you referring to / comparing exactly? Where has Apple "copied" the screen sizes of someone else's tablet or phone? I'm looking for historical precedent to back up your premise here.

Who said that Apple upsizing the phone screen size would a) in any way match Samsung's screen sizes (I would note that once again Samsung has upsized their tablets from 7" to 8" to "match" Apple), or b) that doing so would label it a "phablet" much less constitute "copying"? And finally, what happened to your old "natural progression of technology" argument in support of Samsung's copying?? Gone when it no longer favors your favorite?

You sure do play loose with the idea of "copying". The industry cranks out "standard" sized 20" LCD screens, so everyone makes 20" monitors, but they each pack it with differentiating features, colors, design aesthetics, etc. YOU call that "copying" in this case because a screen is the same size? And then say that is synonymous with Samsing going from crappy busy handsets bristliong with buttons to a handset Samsung's LAWYERS coudln't differentiate from an iPhone and call that the SAME?

I'd have to label you a shill and a troll if you are seriously arguing for that kind of logic.

Well, Samsung makes devices with pretty much all size screens so no matter what size Apple uses, they'll be "copying." Personally, I'd rather be accused of "copying" a screen size (is that even a thing?) vs copying the design and look/feel. I'm sure it's just me.

I really think that the term that would most fit if they do this is "following a trend" (instead of leading like they typically tend to). Big whoop. They did that with the iPad Mini as well.

If they do go larger, it will be interesting to see what they do as far as resolution (scaling, aspect ratio, resolution independence). I'm a smaller handed and slightly built individual so I hope they continue to make a size that is reasonable for me.

post #28 of 132
Quote:

If you are depicting Apple as a copycat for shipping a large screen phone, then you might as well call them a copycat for selling smartphones. In fact, they copied others by making computers, including desktops, laptops, etc. All such depictions, of course, would be absurd.

post #29 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosslad View Post

It would be difficult for Apple to produce any screen size that Samsung haven't already produced.

LOL!

Actually, there is an opening at pi.

post #30 of 132

I can see Apple moving to two product cycles a year with a larger 4.8" iPhone in the spring and continuing to release the two 4" versions in September. It amazes me that some people still doubt that Apple will continue to ignore this market.  A larger iPhone is coming and the question is not "if" but when. Interesting that the same people that doubted the iPad Mini are the same ones that doubt a larger iPhone. You would think they would learn by now. 

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. 

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. 

post #31 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnfetteredMind View Post

Well, Samsung makes devices with pretty much all size screens so no matter what size Apple uses, they'll be "copying." Personally, I'd rather be accused of "copying" a screen size (is that even a thing?) vs copying the design and look/feel. I'm sure it's just me.

I really think that the term that would most fit if they do this is "following a trend" (instead of leading like they typically tend to). Big whoop. They did that with the iPad Mini as well.

If they do go larger, it will be interesting to see what they do as far as resolution (scaling, aspect ratio, resolution independence). I'm a smaller handed and slightly built individual so I hope they continue to make a size that is reasonable for me.

It'll be double the resolution of today's iPhone, so apps will scale just fine, although some touch targets will look obnoxiously large just as they do on big Androids.

post #32 of 132

At once, I applaud this because I really want one, but a deplore that it has taken so long. I want one now, and I need to upgrade now. I don't want one next year. Apple is so far behind the curve on this one, it makes me scratch my head.

post #33 of 132

Apple needs to make telephony just another app. Let the 4G iPads act as phones if the user wants (with headphones or whatever). If you think using a phablet looks silly, then just take the data plan (or not) and leave the phone out. If you want the telephony, then it's there for you. 

post #34 of 132

WSJ is notorious in creating stories that is just rumors. Honestly, I just want a device that I can put in my font pant pocket. and it just feel weird walking and talking on something I can't even hold in my hand that easily. Any way, maybe this might have a screen that gives me 6 in diagonal surface, that is using flexible screen. Now it would just be amazing, if the screen pulls out like in scrolls? I can see a phone which is one cylinder, which contains the rolled away screen. For making calls I do not need to pull out screen, the surface of the cylinder can be big enough with the numbers for phone. When I can to work it an app or text or something that requires bigger real estate I just scroll out the screen. 

Just imagine having a cylindrical object in your pant pocket - Win -Win situation :-) 

post #35 of 132
Quote:

I have proof that Apple making a phablet ≠ Apple copying Samsung.

Lie.

censored

censored

post #36 of 132
I want both, the large phone and tablet
post #37 of 132

If Apple made a phablet, I bet it would be 5.7" with a resolution of 1536x1024 (half a retina iPad mini).

By some weird coincidence, Samsung's Galaxy Note 3 sports a 5.7" screen, exactly half the size of the iPad mini screen, even though it has a completely different display technology and resolution. But of course, Samsung would never spy on Apple to know what product they're working on.

post #38 of 132
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
Lie.

Sure. Say, would you happen to know the definition of the word 'copy'?

post #39 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by VL-Tone View Post

If Apple made a phablet, I bet it would be 5.7" with a resolution of 1536x1024 (half a retina iPad mini).

By some weird coincidence, Samsung's Galaxy Note 3 sports a 5.7" screen, exactly half the size of the iPad mini screen, even though it has a completely different display technology and resolution. But of course, Samsung would never spy on Apple to know what product they're working on.
So now the Note 3's screen size is copying Apple? Lmao! I love this place.
post #40 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

So now the Note 3's screen size is copying Apple? Lmao! I love this place.

Every Android device of any screen size is copying Apple, as none of them would ever exist, if not for Apple's iPhone and iPad.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • WSJ again claims Apple working on larger-screened iPhones up to 6" diagonal [u]
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › WSJ again claims Apple working on larger-screened iPhones up to 6" diagonal [u]