or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › WSJ again claims Apple working on larger-screened iPhones up to 6" diagonal [u]

WSJ again claims Apple working on larger-screened iPhones up to 6" diagonal [u] - Page 2

post #41 of 132
I can see a 4.5-5" iPhone "math" 1smile.gif, but nothing larger than that. It'll be super ridiculous.
post #42 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

I can see a 4.5-5" iPhone "math" 1smile.gif, but nothing larger than that. It'll be super ridiculous.
4.5-5" is a really great size for a smart phone and I totally expect Apple to get there eventually. I'm not convinced the phablet market is big enough for a company like Apple to target yet, but testing it behind closed doors completely makes sense.
post #43 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-Daddy View Post

Let's be fair and acknowledge the fact that Apply may be (not is) copying Samsung this time with the phablet.

*Waits for Applefans to portray this the wrong way in 3...2...*

Let's acknowledge that without Apple there would be no Samsung smartphone, or Phablet. Apple singlehandedly created an entire new genre of objects. All the infrastructure was already there but no one knew how to make it work. Without iOS, Android would not have been invented.

post #44 of 132

A friend of mine has a Note 2 and I like the size. Although I would never buy an Android device, I would be interested in a 4.8" iPhablet. As for all the comments of Apple copying Android based on screen size. I wouldn't call it copying. I would call it Apple is considering entering the phablet space after seeing how successful the Note 2 and Note 3 is. Apple will then design a device to their own standards, not anyone else's.

Help! I'm trapped in a white dungeon of amazing precision and impeccable tolerances!

Help! I'm trapped in a white dungeon of amazing precision and impeccable tolerances!

post #45 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

So now the Note 3's screen size is copying Apple? Lmao! I love this place.

Did I say that the Note 3's screen size is copying Apple? No I didn't. Don't put words in my mouth that I haven't said.

There was no particular reason for them to choose 5.7" over 5.6" or 5.8", I'm just saying that it's a strange coincidence that they've chosen a size which is exactly half the size of the iPad mini screen. I'm not accusing them of anything, I'm just having fun speculating.

post #46 of 132
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Yes.

Recant for us, if you would, the definition, then. Use whatever dictionary you please.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

post #47 of 132

If Apple makes a larger iPhone they will need to address the large chin & forehead issue that takes up so much space currently. Here is what I would hope for from Apple. 

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. 

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. 

post #48 of 132
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post
Here is what I would hope for from Apple. 

Better hope the software is absolutely 100% perfect, then.

post #49 of 132
Apple needs to get their own ideas.. First they copy Android and now they are adding these remote control envy style devices to the market place. They need to imnovate.
post #50 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

If Apple makes a larger iPhone they will need to address the large chin & forehead issue that takes up so much space currently. Here is what I would hope for from Apple. 

I would tend to doubt this if they're moving to a fingerprint scanner in the home button. And I'm sure the forehead and chin are the same size because they like the symmetry of it (It would be interesting to see some nice mockups of a model with only a smaller forehead and same size chin as current to accommodate the current home button).

Edited by TheUnfetteredMind - 9/5/13 at 4:25pm
post #51 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

It'll be double the resolution of today's iPhone, so apps will scale just fine, although some touch targets will look obnoxiously large just as they do on big Androids.

If they were to do that, then I would think it would be on the much larger side of what's being considered (6"?). Otherwise, everything would be tiny (or such a high PPI as to be wasted and not power efficient). Don't know, will be interesting.

post #52 of 132
Quote:

Let's be fair and acknowledge the fact that Apply may be (not is) copying Samsung this time with the phablet.

Classic weasel language.

I suspect that your misspelling is slyly intentional, as Y doesn't even use the same finger as E.

Also, I learned a new word today, thanks to this post... tergiversate.

Edited by PScooter63 - 9/5/13 at 4:30pm

Quality isn't expensive... it's priceless.

Quality isn't expensive... it's priceless.

post #53 of 132

Well, of course they are. Any decent tech company has dozens of active prototypes that are tested for years before a decision is made to go to market.

NEWS ALERT   Sony testing various size TVs   NEWS ALERT

post #54 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

Well, of course they are. Any decent tech company has dozens of active prototypes that are tested for years before a decision is made to go to market.

No, no, no.  Clearly this is a subject that requires pissing contests, name-calling and butthurt feelings.  /s  :D

post #55 of 132
Quote:

A phablet?  A phony tablet.

Who gives  crap, it's just figuring out what the market wants in terms of screen sizes and figuring out what works technologically and will sell.  It's like a monitor size on a desktop or laptop.

I don't think Apple's gonna ship it with a stylus pen.  That would be copying.  /s

I don't think they are going to orient the home button to a landscape mode and add more capacitive buttons.  That would be copying.  /s

post #56 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

Not Samsung.  They don't have tons of prototypes before a decision is made, all of the products they make ARE prototypes, they just through products out, regardless.  That's whey they have 160+ different models to choose from. They figure some will sell well enough to take up the slack of the ones that don't.

post #57 of 132
Exactly! The temptation for swapping the 5 to 5S is low given the same size of screen. The deal maker or breaker is the trade-in price.

For brand new customers, really don't think there is still a queue of people lining up for a 4 inch phone at a price tag of $600+
post #58 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikilok View Post

They simply won't do that unless they can figure out how to solve the current trade off's

What tradeoff can Apple not solve?  There is only one tradeoff with a large screen: it's too big for one-handed use.  That tradeoff is inherent and cannot be avoided.

post #59 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

So, Apple made a 4:3 ratio 8" iPad Mini, and that's "copying everyone else's 16:9 ratio 7" tablets" just because they made a smaller iPad? What screen sizes are you referring to / comparing exactly? Where has Apple "copied" the screen sizes of someone else's tablet or phone? I'm looking for historical precedent to back up your premise here.

Who said that Apple upsizing the phone screen size would a) in any way match Samsung's screen sizes (I would note that once again Samsung has upsized their tablets from 7" to 8" to "match" Apple), or b) that doing so would label it a "phablet" much less constitute "copying"? And finally, what happened to your old "natural progression of technology" argument in support of Samsung's copying?? Gone when it no longer favors your favorite?

You sure do play loose with the idea of "copying". The industry cranks out "standard" sized 20" LCD screens, so everyone makes 20" monitors, but they each pack it with differentiating features, colors, design aesthetics, etc. YOU call that "copying" in this case because a screen is the same size? And then say that is synonymous with Samsing going from crappy busy handsets bristliong with buttons to a handset Samsung's LAWYERS coudln't differentiate from an iPhone and call that the SAME?

I'm not sure if you are one of the people who repeatedly call Android products (especially Samsungs) copies of Apple products, but that accusation is made literally every day on this website using looser comparisons than iPad mini vs. small Android tablets.  On AI the standard for copying is the creation of a product in any category where another product already exists.

post #60 of 132

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #61 of 132
Quote:

Well, since Apple doesn't produce a device that we can say is copying Samsung in this manner your statement is rather silly. It gets even more silly if you are contending that Samsung made the first 5"+ screen size phone, because it didn't. And finally, the silly meter will be absolutely pegged if you are saying that Samsung pioneered the idea of making a larger screen version of a device that uses a screen.

-kpluck

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

post #62 of 132
Ahh well, another phone that I will completely ignore. I'll stick to the 4 inch myself. A six inch phone is like holding a breakfast platter up to your head. Besides, I would be tired of hearing the comments on the bulge in my pants.
post #63 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by janky View Post

people here are crazy. if apple is following trends by going bigger why can't Samsung be doing the same with touch and bounce back? android was being developed before the iPhone was announced. you guts are like Christians... you only believe what "your" book/leaders say is true. they are phones. sent from my nexus 4.

Ahh yes, being developed, and with keyboards and no touch screen.

post #64 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

I'm not sure if you are one of the people who repeatedly call Android products (especially Samsungs) copies of Apple products, but that accusation is made literally every day on this website using looser comparisons than iPad mini vs. small Android tablets.  On AI the standard for copying is the creation of a product in any category where another product already exists.

I would say that when the Samsung is so similar to the Apple product that even Samsung's lawyers (who have been working exclusively on that case for months) can't tell the difference, that it's fair to call the Samsung product a copy.

EVEN IF Apple makes a phone with the same screen size as the corresponding Samsung phone, you can't really make that claim unless the same thing is true - that someone intimately familiar with both products can't tell the difference.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #65 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I would say that when the Samsung is so similar to the Apple product that even Samsung's lawyers (who have been working exclusively on that case for months) can't tell the difference, that it's fair to call the Samsung product a copy.

EVEN IF Apple makes a phone with the same screen size as the corresponding Samsung phone, you can't really make that claim unless the same thing is true - that someone intimately familiar with both products can't tell the difference.

I think that lawyer was simply ignorant.  There is nothing so similar between the Galaxy Tab and the iPad that a person couldn't distinguish them.  That lawyer was probably one of those people, like my aunt, who calls all tablets "iPads" and all smartphones "iPhones."

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90

post #66 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosslad View Post

It would be difficult for Apple to produce any screen size that Samsung haven't already produced.

Fact is, the strategy of Samsung is to produce everything they can think of... Apple do not copy this strategy 1smile.gif
post #67 of 132
Quote:

Soooooo your actually trying to suggest that Apple copied samsung? lol Clearly your confused. Your saying that Apple is coping the samsung devices which are copies of Apple's original concepts & innovation of their own phones....lol... and because Samsung made a bigger size version of Apple's design & innovation that now, that some how, means Apple can't make a larger version of their own design because someone rushed another out before Apple?

Their road maps are around 5yrs from now. How do you even know this wasn't in their roadmap. But like anything Apple, they won't release something, "until solutions are found for certain "trade-offs,". They don't just jump on band wagons and drop garbage like every other company. Apple waits till it's done right as their customers expect. Making a clone of a Apple product but just larger, isn't innovation. They are not so insecure that they are worried about rushing... Apple has a more narrow sighted target audience, as they have always stated, they don't make products for everyone. You just may not fall into their target audience... so don't feel frustrated for not understanding.

Edited by warheart777 - 9/5/13 at 7:13pm
post #68 of 132
Quote:

I think that lawyer was simply ignorant.  There is nothing so similar between the Galaxy Tab and the iPad that a person couldn't distinguish them.  That lawyer was probably one of those people, like my aunt, who calls all tablets "iPads" and all smartphones "iPhones."

Right. The lawyer doesn't understand anything about trademarks.

That's just about as bizarre as Gatorguy's continued insistence that Google has no control over Motorola's legal activities.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #69 of 132
If you remember WSJ leaked the Mini before it was official. If anything think of this as a counter to Samsung's offerings or Android phones in general, Apple has the smaller iPads to counter the 7" tablets but no larger screen phones, which seem quite popular to me. So, stop yer fussin' about who is copying who when it comes to screen sizes, do you see people say Sony copied Sharp for such and such TV size? This is about staying relevant, staying on top (or among the top companies). After all its important to not have one's head in the sand for prolonged periods, in other words, its important to not copy Nokia, Blackberry, Microsoft, Kodak.
post #70 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Right. The lawyer doesn't understand anything about trademarks.

That's just about as bizarre as Gatorguy's continued insistence that Google has no control over Motorola's legal activities.

Strawman much?  The lawyers can understand trademarks and still use colloquialized product names in conversation (not in that trial though!).  You think lawyers don't call tissues Kleenexes?  Bandages Band-Aids?  Gelatinous desserts Jell-O?  Cotton swabs Q-Tips?  The editing of photos "Photoshopping"?

In many people's ignorant minds, iPhone and iPad have become genericized.

post #71 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursadorable View Post

Experimenting != Producing

Honestly without a proper pressure sensitive stylus, it would be much less useful either way.

Agree with the first part, but what would a stylus be good for? Seeing more of an email, or reading more web pages without pinching and panning... would be more than useful enough. And I admit that as somebody not even wanting a bigger iPhone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipen View Post

Plus the iPhone-c.  Why come out with a cheap plastic version like Samsung?  Apple shouldn't get into the non-profit cheap market at all.

Who said that the 5C will be "non-profit"? Or even "cheap"? There is a lot of room to make a profitable phone below $649. Actually, the 5C might even carry a higher margin than a soon last-gen iPhone 5 (as this one is terribly expensive to produce) sold for $100 less once it becomes a second-tier device.

===

Can't believe this "copying" discussion is going on for two pages now. Did anybody talk about copying when different manufacturers had same size monitors or laptop displays? These are stock components and Apple buys from the same suppliers as Samsung (or even Samsung itself).

Once Apple releases an iPhone with a stupid Pentile and/or OLED display where all people in photos and videos have red faces, and start putting a faux-leather back on an iPhone, we can and should have this discussion. Because then they deserve it.

post #72 of 132
Quote:

There was also the packaging and software assets like app icons that mimicked Apple products. It wasn't just about comparing those pictures you posted, don't you think that's oversimplifying? If you think some pictures sum up the whole case, then you are missing a few more pictures at least, certainly not an accurate summation. But this set of photos is the summary you would put together to prove Samsung right, its similar but not identical.

post #73 of 132
Quote:

I dont mean to be smart, but i think that last sentence about your aunt speaks volumes, more than all the rhetoric on many of these threads.

post #74 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by murman View Post

There was also the packaging and software assets like app icons that mimicked Apple products. It wasn't just about comparing those pictures you posted, don't you think that's oversimplifying? If you think some pictures sum up the whole case, then you are missing a few more pictures at least, certainly not an accurate summation. But this set of photos is the summary you would put together to prove Samsung right, its similar but not identical.

I wasn't speaking to the whole trial, just what jragosta wrote about.

post #75 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by warheart777 View Post

Apple has a more narrow sighted target audience, as they have always stated, they don't make products for everyone.

If the rumors of the iPhone 5C are accurate then Apple will be shifting this way of thinking very soon and will indeed be trying to make products for the masses.

post #76 of 132
Quote:

If the rumors of the iPhone 5C are accurate then Apple will be shifting this way of thinking very soon and will indeed be trying to make products for the masses.

or its just a replacement for the current iphone4s 

post #77 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by warheart777 View Post

or its just a replacement for the current iphone4s 

Totally possible as well (though that's not what most of the rumors have been suggesting).  As all we have is rumors at this point, we'll just have to wait and see.

post #78 of 132
Quote:

Strawman much?  The lawyers can understand trademarks and still use colloquialized product names in conversation (not in that trial though!).  You think lawyers don't call tissues Kleenexes?  Bandages Band-Aids?  Gelatinous desserts Jell-O?  Cotton swabs Q-Tips?  The editing of photos "Photoshopping"?

In many people's ignorant minds, iPhone and iPad have become genericized.

Ramble much?

post #79 of 132
Omg those mockups are hideous. And why do these mockups always have no bezel? How the heck is that supposed to work?
post #80 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by janky View Post

people here are crazy. if apple is following trends by going bigger why can't Samsung be doing the same with touch and bounce back? android was being developed before the iPhone was announced. you guts are like Christians... you only believe what "your" book/leaders say is true. they are phones. sent from my nexus 4.

You can't patent sizes. You know nothing about Christians too.
Quote:

What tradeoff can Apple not solve?  There is only one tradeoff with a large screen: it's too big for one-handed use.  That tradeoff is inherent and cannot be avoided.

Perhaps battery life is another since larger screens needs more power. Don't forget weight.
Quote:

Psssst, Apple makes iPods for the masses.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • WSJ again claims Apple working on larger-screened iPhones up to 6" diagonal [u]
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › WSJ again claims Apple working on larger-screened iPhones up to 6" diagonal [u]