or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Online Apple Store out of refurbished Apple TVs, hints at possible refresh

Online Apple Store out of refurbished Apple TVs, hints at possible refresh

post #1 of 35
Apple has either run out of stock or suspended sales of refurbished Apple TVs through its online store, possibly hinting that a new version of the device is in the offing.

Apple TV Refurb
Internet cache of refurbished Apple TV webpage from April.

As noted by AppleInsider reader Brian, the Online Apple Store's refurbished product webpage no longer shows the Apple TV as available for sale. Apple recently cut the price of the refurbished device to $75 in early August, down from $85 as seen in the above image.

While it is possible that Apple has simply run out or suspended sales of refurbished units, the timing of the stockout jibes with recent rumors of a possible product refresh. A report on Tuesday noted Apple took receipt of three fairly large shipments from Chinese partner manufacturer BYD Precision in August, the contents of each described as "Set Top Boxes." The information was discovered in bills of lading from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

Until the past few days, there have been little to no rumors regarding a new Apple TV, as most media attention has been focused on an anticipated iPhone lineup refresh. However, Apple has been actively updating the existing set-top streamer's content, adding channels like Vevo, Disney, Weather and Smithsonian in late August, while a beta of the next Apple TV software released in July was found to have reinstated iTunes purchasing.

Apple last refreshed its Apple TV in March 2012, adding 1080p output to the unit while retaining the prior model's design.

The Cupertino, Calif., company has scheduled a media event for Sept. 10 which is expected to see the unveiling of new iPhone models. Although mere speculation, it is possible that Apple may be planning to announce a new Apple TV product alongside the handsets.
post #2 of 35

Hmm. Why, though? The Refurb store often runs out of Mac Mini, for example. That doesn't imply a new Mac Mini is always around the corner.

I think it likely a new Apple TV will be released soon, but unlikely that this has any more to do with it than anything else.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

post #3 of 35
Hmmm Apple TVs in mutiple colors¡
post #4 of 35
I have a hard time believing this is just a hardware update, but there have been zero leaks. Maybe this is the doubling down on security.
post #5 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple has either run out of stock or suspended sales of refurbished Apple TVs through its online store, possibly hinting that a new version of the device is in the offing..

Maybe.

Or maybe they just ran out because not enough people are returning them so there aren't enough refurbs to satisfy demand?

Apple runs out of refurbs all the time.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #6 of 35
"Security" is nonexistent. Too many people along the supply chain opens up opportunities to pay someone for information.

I don't understand how a shipping label stating "set top box "with a communication function is indicative of anything. That is an accurate description of the current Apple TV.
post #7 of 35
Even once a new AppleTV comes out, they will still be selling refurbs of the old ones. They do it with iPads and Macs, why would this be different.

So to me running out of refurbs seems to mean very little!
post #8 of 35
Both 4K / UltraHD and H.265 hardware decode-ready, presumably, via a Broadcom
BCM7445 chip or the like. Not mentioned at AppleInsider in a while; be sure to look
for such in the teardown. Of course the wireless bandwidth for 4K even with H.265
remains out-of-reach for most, but H.265 for pre-existing 1080p would be sweet for content hogs and existing pipes.
post #9 of 35
Originally Posted by retiarius View Post
Of course the wireless bandwidth for 4K even with H.265 remains out-of-reach for most…

802.11ac?

post #10 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

802.11ac?

Not with H.264.

"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
post #11 of 35
If There is an update I hope the increase the buffer size from 8gb to 16gb. My atv2 stalls about halfway through streaming 16gb HD movies from my mac.
post #12 of 35
the online store is out of refurb apple tvs, so it must mean the apple branded automobile is imminent.

edit: correct spelling of automobile

Edited by Pooch - 9/5/13 at 5:54pm
post #13 of 35
Let's see: OSX Mavericks = IOS 7, same GUI different devices.
Better CPU, faster memory, SSD speed, graphics above 326 ppi.
iCloud connection with all devices, add in my car, home stereo, Apple TV.
What else is there to improve my experience?

Yes 4K display will be cool. I cannot wait to see it!

1Gbps Internet would be great - I can wait for it.

Unlimited content will be soon.

Future: Convenience, ease of use, Monitor my health! (maybe??)
Wearable: Blood Preasure (24 Hr), Heart Rate (24hr), Activity (24hr).
Sides: Food I consumed!, Exercise I did! Calories IN -less- Calories OUT = gain/loss. Easy!

Google Glasses - maybe. Just hope I am not distracted from life to get killed.

Maybe
post #14 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by stniuk View Post

If There is an update I hope the increase the buffer size from 8gb to 16gb. My atv2 stalls about halfway through streaming 16gb HD movies from my mac.

Seriously?  What movie are you watching that's 16GB?  The Avengers downloaded from the iTunes store is only 2.19GB!

I'm not completely sure what the buffer is on the TV2 but I know it isn't anywhere near 8GB.  The RAM is 256MB and the total system memory is only 8GB.  That's primarily used for the OS and the limited apps that are currently available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

802.11ac?

That's what I'm thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sennen View Post

Not with H.264.

Why not?  How does H.264 affect the wireless spec?

Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
post #15 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEMAC1NT0SH View Post

Hmmm Apple TVs in mutiple colors¡

Maybe it's the fabled AppleTV with 5-inch IGZO display.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #16 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeb View Post

I have a hard time believing this is just a hardware update, but there have been zero leaks. Maybe this is the doubling down on security.

Every time an Apple NDA is violated, Tim Cook will murder another kitten.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #17 of 35
Quote:

If There is an update I hope the increase the buffer size.... My atv2 stalls about halfway through streaming 16gb HD movies from my mac.

Run a wire.
post #18 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by msuberly View Post

"Security" is nonexistent. Too many people along the supply chain opens up opportunities to pay someone for information.

I don't understand how a shipping label stating "set top box "with a communication function is indicative of anything. That is an accurate description of the current Apple TV.

Siri...
post #19 of 35
So you can get new Apple TV for 100 or semi new for 85, this 15% difference seems not enough in regular, but 1/4 vs about 1/6 is a more even deal.
post #20 of 35

Apple has held the Apple TV back for a looong time now. They are building up another killing device kept behind wraps for some time.

This product is years in the making, and it certainly does not rely on an "remote" or "voice" to be controlled. It will reinvent our living room experience, and give Apple a few years heads up like with the iPhone in 2007.

Whatever it turns out to be, I sure hope it involves UHD. But I somewhat doubt we will see anything on september 10th.

post #21 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

Seriously?  What movie are you watching that's 16GB?  The Avengers downloaded from the iTunes store is only 2.19GB!

I'm not completely sure what the buffer is on the TV2 but I know it isn't anywhere near 8GB.  The RAM is 256MB and the total system memory is only 8GB.  That's primarily used for the OS and the limited apps that are currently available.

That's what I'm thinking.

Why not?  How does H.264 affect the wireless spec?

Most 1080 movies downloaded of the internet come in at 8gb or more, some 20gb or more.

post #22 of 35

It's on a wire already.I

post #23 of 35
Stnuik. I believe the responder was referring to an 'Ethernet' wire
post #24 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by msuberly View Post

Siri...

...or something mundane, like wifi or hdmi.
post #25 of 35
Quote:

Most 1080 movies downloaded of the internet come in at 8gb or more, some 20gb or more.

Ouch, I guess that means 4K is going to be a long ways away until some awesome compression technology becomes available.  Which by the way I heard not too long ago that Apple acquired a company that specializes in video compression.

post #26 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

Ouch, I guess that means 4K is going to be a long ways away until some awesome compression technology becomes available.  Which by the way I heard not too long ago that Apple acquired a company that specializes in video compression.

Algotrim, the company you're referring, looks to have been more active in compression/decompression of static images (and firmware upgrades) more so than video. Doesn't mean of course that they didn't also have some expertise in video compression too. Strangely their website is still up and still touting Android software products which is somewhat unusual for an Apple-absorbed company isn't it?
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #27 of 35

It is, I thought they usually take the sites down.  Hmm, I wonder what they have in their skunk works to be that attractive to Apple.  Whatever it is I hope they bought them because they worked on some breakthrough process together and they are protecting their intellectual investment.

post #28 of 35

Off topic (the compression thing just got me to thinking about it, don't ask me why...), but if Apple can make delta upgrades possible to the OS, why can't App makers do the same thing? Each time I get a Real Racing 3 update, it is 1 GB, even for a few bug fixes. Lots of games are 1 to 2 GB.

I'm not a programmer, but have often wondered why not? Since Apple dishes out tons of Apps and upgrades to those Apps, wouldn't delta updates on those Apps help a ton with bandwidth and data cap restraints? And if the Apple TV gets Apps, wouldn't this make it even more important to get delta updates?

Anyone familiar with how difficult this would be for App programmers to do?

Thx.

Back to your regularly scheduled rumouring... ;-)

post #29 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoriusM View Post

Off topic (the compression thing just got me to thinking about it, don't ask me why...), but if Apple can make delta upgrades possible to the OS, why can't App makers do the same thing? Each time I get a Real Racing 3 update, it is 1 GB, even for a few bug fixes. Lots of games are 1 to 2 GB.

I'm not a programmer, but have often wondered why not? Since Apple dishes out tons of Apps and upgrades to those Apps, wouldn't delta updates on those Apps help a ton with bandwidth and data cap restraints? And if the Apple TV gets Apps, wouldn't this make it even more important to get delta updates?

Anyone familiar with how difficult this would be for App programmers to do?

Thx.

Back to your regularly scheduled rumouring... ;-)

I'll take a stab at your question.  When a .1 update is issued to an OS there are multiple modules which are updated.  Don't think of an OS as one big piece of software, it's actually thousands (hundreds of thousands?) of much smaller binary files.  The OS knows how to talk to each of these smaller files and unless there is either a new module or something added to an existing one the messages that are passed back and forth don't necessarily change.  In an iOS app a large binary is created which holds everything that app needs to exist on an iOS device.  DRM and copy protection play a part in that, also it's much easier on the developers to give everything that is needed all at once than to hope each module is updated properly with a patch.  As iOS apps grow that may change, but I don't see that happening for a long time.  Remember you have people yelling for 4K video, a .5 - 1GB download is nothing in comparison.

Obviously I'm simplifying things here and I'm sure some one will correct me, but that's the general idea.

post #30 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiarius View Post

Both 4K / UltraHD and H.265 hardware decode-ready, presumably, via a Broadcom
BCM7445 chip or the like. Not mentioned at AppleInsider in a while; be sure to look
for such in the teardown. Of course the wireless bandwidth for 4K even with H.265
remains out-of-reach for most, but H.265 for pre-existing 1080p would be sweet for content hogs and existing pipes.

If they do something like that they need to seriously bump the storage. Which would also be good for loading rentals, auto loading season pass stuff etc.
post #31 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoriusM View Post

Off topic (the compression thing just got me to thinking about it, don't ask me why...), but if Apple can make delta upgrades possible to the OS, why can't App makers do the same thing?

Bringing it back a little to on topic, I think this is why the Apple TV needs an App Store. Easier to update those third party offers, users can pick what they want only etc.
post #32 of 35

Um, the iOS 7 SDK adds support for bluetooth game controllers. Is it possible that a new AppleTV will play games?

post #33 of 35
Originally Posted by sennen View Post

Not with H.264.

Probably why I was talking about H.265, then.

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post
Every time an Apple NDA is violated, Tim Cook will murder another kitten.

Will steal another french fry.

Originally Posted by smaffei View Post
Um, the iOS 7 SDK adds support for bluetooth game controllers. Is it possible that a new AppleTV will play games?

Via AirPlay with an iOS device attached.

post #34 of 35

No. Gaming not requiring an iOS device other than the AppleTV (and a bluetooth controller).

post #35 of 35
Originally Posted by smaffei View Post
No. Gaming not requiring an iOS device other than the AppleTV (and a bluetooth controller).

And I'm saying that's not likely.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Online Apple Store out of refurbished Apple TVs, hints at possible refresh