or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iOS grows mobile browsing share in US to dominant 65%

Apple's iOS grows mobile browsing share in US to dominant 65% - Page 2

post #41 of 54
I dunno, Rather seemed a little iffy to me.
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #42 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

You remember the old days differently than I do. There never has been much honor and integrity in the media. Sensationalism has always sold well and continues to do so.

It was never perfect, but there was never the outright lying and crap that you see in the media today.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #43 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I dunno, Rather seemed a little iffy to me.

Lol, he did look like a overgrown Davie from Davie and Goliath look that always irked me.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #44 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

It was never perfect, but there was never the outright lying and crap that you see in the media today.

How would you know a outright lie if everyone was reporting it? Perfect example is the 'The Central Park 5' that supposedly raped the jogger. The media wanted answers and led the charge to convict 5 innocent kids and those kids spent over 15 years behind bars. The whole world deemed those kids guilty because the media said so.
post #45 of 54
How would you know a outright lie if everyone was reporting it?

By doing your own research… What sort of dumb question is that?

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

post #46 of 54
Quote:

'Doomed' is a strong word, but you don't need to look very far to find virtually ever major news media publishing reports that Apple has lost its innovation and its glory days are over.

Geez, people, just go here: http://www.macalope.com/

post #47 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

By doing your own research… What sort of dumb question is that?

So did you board a plane to Iraq to see if there really was WMDs like the media claimed that they had? The Internet wasn't around back then for us to gather information from. 'Doing your own research' wasn't a viable option for most.
post #48 of 54
The Internet wasn't around [in 2003]

As you have previously stated your purpose here is to troll, how about you just leave now.

post #49 of 54
Quote:

As you have previously stated your purpose here is to troll, how about you just leave now.

Well I meant prior to 2003, and the days I was conversing with jragosta about before you interceded, and I never once said I was here to troll.
post #50 of 54
Quote:

Whether he stated it explicitly or not, he is obviously a troll. I find it particularly funny when anti-Apple trolls start having conversations with each other, on an Apple fan site, without any sense of acknowledgment about how pathetic that is.

Anyway.. I find it pretty amazing that Apple is growing its already dominant web share even during a significant lull period in sales. Imagine what these numbers are going to show once the new iPhones and iPads come out..

post #51 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyThePirate View Post

Whether he stated it explicitly or not, he is obviously a troll. I find it particularly funny when anti-Apple trolls start having conversations with each other, on an Apple fan site, without any sense of acknowledgment about how pathetic that is.

Anyway.. I find it pretty amazing that Apple is growing its already dominant web share even during a significant lull period in sales. Imagine what these numbers are going to show once the new iPhones and iPads come out..

So you're accusing jragosta of being a troll?

The numbers won't increase by much because historically the majority of iDevice buyers are replacing a iDevice.
post #52 of 54
Quote:

While there's some truth to that, it's important not to jump to that conclusion for several reasons:

1. This figure is likely biased in some way. I have no way of knowing how much or which direction, but the major problem in this type of comparison is ensuring that the sample is representative. It is unlikely that this sample accurately represents the entire population.

2. Even if you could accurately determine market share, it isn't the only metric that matters. Your choice of metric will depend on what you're trying to accomplish. For example:
- If you're a manufacturer of cases and accessories, you're probably more concerned about the total number of devices in use than the online market share. Technically, you'd want to know not only the total number in use, but the percentage of owners who use a case.
- If you're an investor, you're probably more interest in profits than online market share. Technically, you'd want to predict FUTURE profits.
- If you're an advertiser, the online market share metric is probably important.
- If you're a competitor trying to decide which phone features you want to sell, then it would be SALES market share that interests you, not online market share.
- If you're a wireless provider, you probably care about number of units in use (which is not the same as sales market share) as well as amount of data used by each customer.
And so on.

NO SINGLE METRIC tells you everything you need to know.

That said, these results are interesting. The iOS/Android ratio has hardly changed (it increased from 2.14 to 2.15 which is undoubtedly within measurement error) while the 'other' category dropped by more than half in just 2 months. That just doesn't seem plausible. Sure, Blackberry is losing customers and some of the other vendors are fading into the background (does anyone use Symbian any more), but that's an enormous change in just 2 months - big enough to make me question the results.

And, of course, one should always keep in mind the error margin in the results. I suspect that the error margin is small enough for these results to be meaningful, but without knowing the actual margin, it's hard to say for sure. But error margin is the smaller problem. As stated earlier, the real issue is whether the results are representative. Of course, if their methodology is unchanged over the period surveyed, the results may still be meaningful even if the sample does not represent the entire population.

Oh you went too analytical, but I agree if you are selling gadgets to you want to sell to the lowest common denominator (The clueless) and if you are Wall Street it about the guy loosing the most to ship the most. However, you would think the service providers would want the product that makes you more money like selling bandwidth usage, but they are about giving away fee product so they can show Wall Street they have the most subscribers which they are loosing money on.

Hands down Apple is making everyone more money, but somehow that is a bad idea because the ship far less garbage as everyone else.

post #53 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Who is claiming Apple is doomed outside of a couple posters in this forum?1hmm.gif

Hello "Gatorguy"!

I'm guessing you are new here on this thing we call the World Wide Web. Maybe you just got Internet access and this is actually the first Web site you just happened to stumble upon on your first try. It that case I welcome you onboard with the rest of us (we are hundreds of millions already here actually!) and will let you know that it (the World Wide Web) can be searched from a place called "a search engine". One example is "Google" if you perhaps have heard of them in your local newspaper (if you read newspapers). It can be reached on this address: www.google.com. From there you can enter the search term "Apple Death Knell Counter" and gaze upon the wonders of the "Apple is doomed" call that people have confidently been making since way back.

63 if them in fact. Since 1995.

I'm sure there are hundreds more that the particular author of that website have just not decided to post because he is probably thinking that the point he is trying to make is being made anyway.

And now I also think I have made mine.

post #54 of 54
Android tablets make terrific doorstops, serving trays, coasters and paperweights. Like any of those other products, Android tablets are also cheap and disposable.

I'm interested in seeing how Wall Street reacts if iPhone market share surges in the U.S. when the new iPhones are released this year. Wall Street seems to think that consumers will only purchase Android devices because they're cheap and have large displays. Hedge fund managers are very stubborn on this point and actually believe consumers will stop buying iPhones because they cost more than Android smartphones and because Steve Jobs is dead.

Wall Street is really stiffing Apple on P/E ratio. It's hard to imagine that Dell is given a higher P/E ratio than Apple despite this being the post-PC era and Dell hardly has any presence in the mobile market place. I sure wish Apple could find a way to make Google give up on Android by causing the OS not to be worth the effort of supporting. I suppose that isn't a realistic case because Google likely doesn't make that much money from Android as it is. I was really disappointed when I heard Samsung was backing out of using Tizen OS for reasons unknown. If Samsung had adopted Tizen OS, that would have really sucked the air out of Android due to the fact that Samsung is the one company selling the most Android devices. I'd sure like to know what made Samsung change their minds.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iOS grows mobile browsing share in US to dominant 65%