or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Rumor: Apple's OS X 10.9 Mavericks to arrive in late October

Rumor: Apple's OS X 10.9 Mavericks to arrive in late October

post #1 of 55
Despite being announced in early June at Apple's annual Worldwide Developers Conference, the next major Mac update, OS X 10.9 Mavericks, may not arrive until late October, according to a new report.

Mavericks

Citing sources with knowledge of Apple's alleged launch plans, 9to5Mac reported on Friday that the debut for Mavericks is nearly two months away. In addition, the site also cited apparent "chatter" that iOS 7 for iPad won't be available until October as well.

Last year, Apple surprised when it unveiled OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion in February with little fanfare, outside of a typical keynote address. The software then became available in the Mac App Store in late July, or about five months later.

That means this year's time between announcement and launch of OS X 10.9 Mavericks would actually be shorter than the same window for OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion was in 2012. Still, some had expected that next Mac operating system might launch in the near future, perhaps as soon as Apple's iPhone media event next week.

Just this week, developers were supplied with the seventh preview build of Mavericks. The latest developer preview includes performance enhancements but still isn't ready for the public, with features like iCloud Keychain remaining a work in progress.

Apple hasn't given a specific launch window for Mavericks beyond this fall. When it does launch, it will pack in new features such as iBooks for Mac, Finder Tabs, Apple Maps, App Nap, Compressed Memory, and more.
post #2 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Despite being announced in early June at Apple's annual Worldwide Developers Conference, the next major Mac update, OS X 10.9 Mavericks, may not arrive until late October, according to a new report.

Despite?

DP1 of Mountain Lion was seeded February 16, and the final was released July 25.

JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
post #3 of 55
I have no inside knowledge, but this would surprise me. Mavericks has been quite stable since DP2, and DP7 (13A569) feels pretty much finished since DP5. I'm sure Apple would spend the next 6-7 weeks polishing it even further, but based on past release builds, this sounds dubious.

10.8 - 12A269
10.7 - 11A511
10.6 - 10A432
10.5 - 9A581
10.4 - 8A428

We've already exceeded the build cycles for every release except 10.5, which was pushed back due to the iPhone release.

Who knows, maybe Apple is just timing this so it doesn't get lost in the September iPhone hoopla.
post #4 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by serpicolugnut View Post

I have no inside knowledge, but this would surprise me. Mavericks has been quite stable since DP2, and DP7 (13A569) feels pretty much finished since DP5. I'm sure Apple would spend the next 6-7 weeks polishing it even further, but based on past release builds, this sounds dubious.

10.8 - 12A269
10.7 - 11A511
10.6 - 10A432
10.5 - 9A581
10.4 - 8A428

We've already exceeded the build cycles for every release except 10.5, which was pushed back due to the iPhone release.

Who knows, maybe Apple is just timing this so it doesn't get lost in the September iPhone hoopla.

But an October release means it'll likely be launched alongside the new iPads. So instead of getting lost in iPhone hoopla it'll get lost in the iPad frenzy!

Anyway, I'm still hoping for iWorks 2013 for Mac and iPad to be unveiled unless we have to wait until next year for a new iWork?

post #5 of 55
Just fix the loss of wifi / ethernet when the computer goes to sleep. Please Apple - concentrate on bug fixes, especially long lasting ones, in addition to the bells and whistles.
post #6 of 55

So, I wonder if this allows for additional time to change the UI and adapt it to iOS7 and iCloud? Just wondering...

post #7 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by racingbull View Post

So, I wonder if this allows for additional time to change the UI and adapt it to iOS7 and iCloud? Just wondering...

Wait till OS XI. That'll likely be billed as the biggest update to OS X since inception.
post #8 of 55
Quote:

I seem to remember a point in the past where they released a new version of iOS and OS X at the same time and the resulting downloads caused their servers to fail.  So that would be another good reason to stagger the releases.

But, I agree with the general sentiment that Mavericks has felt quite polished for a while now.  So late October is surprising unless there's some extra features they're holding back on.

post #9 of 55
Take your time, Apple. Sync up the release with the Mac Pro announcement and make sure the bugs are out of both. Mavericks needs to not only be really stable, but it needs to have a long shelf life. I have a feeling the next OS, XI %u2013 will be a radical departure (combining iOS and the desktop even further) and many who are adverse to keeping up with the new OSs (work stations, editing suites, many designers, ect...) will rely on Mavericks for a while, so no need to rush it out.
It's only after you've lost everything that you're free to do anything.

Tyler Durden | Fight Club

post #10 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

At the 47:27:00 mark

Despite what the AppleInsider Staff knows, Fall begins on September 21st and ends on December 20th. And the month of 'October' is still a full 31 days between them.

In addition, as sub headed on Apple's web site, iOS 7. Coming this Fall

Edited by Westcoast8 - 9/6/13 at 7:39am
post #11 of 55

When is the Mac Pro due out? :)

post #12 of 55

The extra features they are waiting on are the new iMacs, MacBook Pros, and Mac Pro which will hopefully be announced at the same October event as the new iPads, earlier in October, with the Macs being shipped a short while later.

Total conjecture, of course, but hey, my post count is low... :-/

Edit: I mean to quote auxio who said: "So late October is surprising unless there's some extra features they're holding back on."

post #13 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by websnap View Post

Take your time, Apple. Sync up the release with the Mac Pro announcement and make sure the bugs are out of both. Mavericks needs to not only be really stable, but it needs to have a long shelf life. I have a feeling the next OS, XI %u2013 will be a radical departure (combining iOS and the desktop even further) and many who are adverse to keeping up with the new OSs (work stations, editing suites, many designers, ect...) will rely on Mavericks for a while, so no need to rush it out.

My guess Mac Pro / Mavricks event.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
post #14 of 55
Quote:

I can't see there being a whole lot of hoopla over this iPhone release.  All we're getting is colored cases on last year's model, maybe an additional color on the flagship product, maybe a fingerprint reader, and (hopefully) bumps in the general specs.  It's not going to be a game changer this time around.

They're probably facing production delays again on the new iMacs or MPBs, so they want the software release closer to the hardware bumps.

post #15 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Anytime after Mavericks and before December.

While it won't get any "stage" time at the supposed October Event, I'd expect Apple to update us on the status, either announcing it for sale or pre-order.

post #16 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netcrawler View Post

Just fix the loss of wifi / ethernet when the computer goes to sleep. Please Apple - concentrate on bug fixes, especially long lasting ones, in addition to the bells and whistles.
That's not a bug, it's supposed to happen. When your Mac is sleeping, it doesn't do any work, hence the name "sleep."
That's why they built Power Nap, to allow specific work to be done while asleep.
post #17 of 55

My main hope for OSX 10.9 is the new maps app.  

If it's good enough, and if it's easy enough to report mistakes, it might make Apple both realise what absolute shite their data is as well as provide more input from users so it can be corrected.  It's been a full year already with no improvement in the basic (hilariously incorrect) data at all, at least in my city.  

post #18 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxio View Post

Quote:

I seem to remember a point in the past where they released a new version of iOS and OS X at the same time and the resulting downloads caused their servers to fail.  So that would be another good reason to stagger the releases.

But, I agree with the general sentiment that Mavericks has felt quite polished for a while now.  So late October is surprising unless there's some extra features they're holding back on.

Feel polished and be ready are two different things. I know of serious issues with certain types of drivers, and there's at least one truly obnoxious workflow related bug in Mail.app.
iBooks is clearly just a work in progress at this stage with horrible media management etc.
So they have enough work for a while if they don't want to have to rush point release updates after the release.

Chances are, the release will be timed to coincide with some major Mac hardware releases, like new iMac, MacBook Pro, and the shipping of the Mac Pro, plus if a rumored 4k CinemaDisplay should materialize this fall, I'd expect these things to be bundled in one media event.

For the upcoming event they'll likely focus on iPhone and iOS,and the Pandora killer Internet radio service.

They could have a third event around iPad, AppleTV and some new video streaming service.

That would fit Cooks comment about a "busy fall" and would spread out the news sufficiently to saturate and crowd out competiton in media coverage.
post #19 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

At the 59:28:00 mark

Quote: Phil Schiller

And Despite what anyone may say, this years ends on December 31st at 24:00:00.

Edited by Westcoast8 - 9/6/13 at 7:33am
post #20 of 55
I suspect a little bit of misdirection going on, Apple adding some noise to all the leaks that have sprung.
post #21 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoast8 View Post

There is no 24:00:00

It is 23:59:59 and next 00:00:00

post #22 of 55
Headline should read: Is the Mac doomed? Next OS version delayed!
post #23 of 55
Quote:

This isn't a bug it's a "feature."  :)

Sadly, it's a feature that has been present in Leopard, Snow Leopard, Lion, and Mountain Lion.  

I've lost count over the last few years of the number of times that my TV went completely black because the computer running iTunes in the next room fell asleep suddenly, or the number of times I've been woken up at 3:00 AM when the bedroom computer suddenly lit up like a christmas tree simply because some daemon was doing it's thing.  

Even when Apple gets it to work, it's usually hardware dependant, exhibiting completely wacky and entirely different behaviour on any machine that isn't less than a year old.  

post #24 of 55

October is about right but OS 7 will be released this month with the new iPhones. We will get iOS 7 GM (with xcode GM) on Sept 10th and the general public will get it the day the new iPhone is release. Developers will also start submitting their apps using the GM. This is what happens every year.

post #25 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

This isn't a bug it's a "feature."  1smile.gif
Sadly, it's a feature that has been present in Leopard, Snow Leopard, Lion, and Mountain Lion.  

I've lost count over the last few years of the number of times that my TV went completely black because the computer running iTunes in the next room fell asleep suddenly, or the number of times I've been woken up at 3:00 AM when the bedroom computer suddenly lit up like a christmas tree simply because some daemon was doing it's thing.  

Even when Apple gets it to work, it's usually hardware dependant, exhibiting completely wacky and entirely different behaviour on any machine that isn't less than a year old.  

I thought there was a "no-sleep" corner you can stick your cursor in. You could also turn off sleep mode too.
post #26 of 55

If only Apple would use this time to get rid of inconsistencies in icon design, menu bar animation when on full screen (itunes and safari on full screen get a completely different animation) and all the little but annoying inconsistencies...

And redesign the icons to get rid of skeumorphism and uniform their design philosophy to the one in iOS.

That would be really, really great.

post #27 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

I thought there was a "no-sleep" corner you can stick your cursor in. You could also turn off sleep mode too.

i wish - you can use hot corners to put lcd to sleep, but there is no corner for keep this computer awake. wish there was - would be very handy

post #28 of 55
I've been using mavericks and ios7 and like them both. However with the last updates to mavericks and ios7 I've lost iCloud Keychain functionality again. I'm in Canada, does anyone else have this problem? On my imac it says iCloud Keychain is down, on my iPhone it says "pending" where a security code is suppose to be texted to my iPhone telephone number but I've waited more that 24 hours and nothing yet. iCloud Keychain is still very much a work in progress, but I hope it will eventually work great.
post #29 of 55
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

Am I??

Quote: 24-hour clock

Midnight 00:00 and 24:00

In the 24-hour time notation, the day begins at midnight, 00:00, and the last minute of the day begins at 23:59. Where convenient, the notation 24:00 may also be used to refer to midnight at the end of a given date[5] – that is, 24:00 of one day is the same time as 00:00 of the following day.

The notation 24:00 mainly serves to refer to the exact end of a day in a time interval. A typical usage is giving opening hours ending at midnight (e.g. "00:00–24:00", "07:00–24:00"). Similarly, some railway timetables show 00:00 as departure time and 24:00 as arrival time. Legal contracts often run from the start date at 00:00 till the end date at 24:00.

Quote: IBM Date/Time fields
Times may range from 00:00:00:00 through 23:59:59:59 in the 24-hour format
post #30 of 55
Quote:

Despite what the AppleInsider Staff knows, Fall begins on September 21st and ends on December 20th. And the month of 'October' is still a full 31 days between them.

In addition, as sub headed on Apple's web site, iOS 7. Coming this Fall

I think Apple includes the full month of September when they say 'the fall'. It would be disappointing to have to wait until October for new Macs and 10.9 but September is typically for iOS products. I would expect them to ship new iPhones with iOS 7 as it's one of the selling points. They shipped iOS 5 with the 4S at launch previously.
post #31 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

Quote:

i wish - you can use hot corners to put lcd to sleep, but there is no corner for keep this computer awake. wish there was - would be very handy

You can set display sleep, CPU sleep and screen saver times independently. So just set the CPU to never sleep, the display to sleep after a short time, and you can let the screen fall asleep quickly while the computer stays up.

Lid sleep and manual sleep override the auto-sleep times, so you can still create a corner that puts the screen to sleep, prevent screen from sleeping, start the screen saver, and when you want the machine to sleep, just hit the power button, or use the apple menu, or close the laptop lid.

Best of all worlds...

post #32 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthW View Post

I've been using mavericks and ios7 and like them both. However with the last updates to mavericks and ios7 I've lost iCloud Keychain functionality again. I'm in Canada, does anyone else have this problem? On my imac it says iCloud Keychain is down, on my iPhone it says "pending" where a security code is suppose to be texted to my iPhone telephone number but I've waited more that 24 hours and nothing yet. iCloud Keychain is still very much a work in progress, but I hope it will eventually work great.

Not so easy to design a product like that and comply with the long wish list from the NSA... <insert evil laughter here>

post #33 of 55
There is no basis to suspect this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by websnap View Post

Take your time, Apple. Sync up the release with the Mac Pro announcement and make sure the bugs are out of both. Mavericks needs to not only be really stable, but it needs to have a long shelf life.
Well yeah a stable solid OS release is always welcomed.
Quote:
I have a feeling the next OS, XI %u2013 will be a radical departure (combining iOS and the desktop even further) and many who are adverse to keeping up with the new OSs (work stations, editing suites, many designers, ect...) will rely on Mavericks for a while, so no need to rush it out.

This however is assinine. It may be a radical departure but that won't be due to combining OSes any more than they already are. You do realize that Mac OS and iOS are, underneath the GUI, the same operating systems as it is today? For example adding iBooks to the Mac OS distribution has nothing to do with combining the operating systems, it is simply supporting an app on both platforms. This is no different than adding a notes app to Mac OS. This isn't combining anything it is rather expanding capability.
post #34 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

My main hope for OSX 10.9 is the new maps app.  

If it's good enough, and if it's easy enough to report mistakes, it might make Apple both realise what absolute shite their data is as well as provide more input from users so it can be corrected.  It's been a full year already with no improvement in the basic (hilariously incorrect) data at all, at least in my city.  

I have seen major updates in my region (odd, as it's not overly dense in population) to the point where I have no longer needed to confirm/compare routes and destination locations with Google maps for most of this year. However, I believe Maps – regardless of who makes them – is a living, breathing entity that needs to constantly be tended to. Buildings get replaced, streets get re-planed... Maps are constantly evolving.

post #35 of 55
Just fix the loss of wifi / ethernet when the computer goes to sleep.

Yeah, that's supposed to happen and has happened in every version of OS X.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

post #36 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I think Apple includes the full month of September when they say 'the fall'. It would be disappointing to have to wait until October for new Macs and 10.9 but September is typically for iOS products. I would expect them to ship new iPhones with iOS 7 as it's one of the selling points. They shipped iOS 5 with the 4S at launch previously.

I don't agree. Not that they wouldn't, but if everything (and that is a very long list) was ready, it wouldn't surprise me if they had launched in August. And as evidenced, September is not typically for opening the doors for iOS products.

It is unfortunate that so many are ready to hang Apple for virtually every word they say or think they said. Apple doesn't have a habit of vapour-waring software or devices; unlike many who like to bring out the red carpet for things they don't have, won't have or wished they had or are getting.

post #37 of 55
We don't need an event for everything. Just launch the stupid os already and release the MacBook refreshes. This getting stupid at this point.
post #38 of 55
Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post
Just launch the stupid os already and release the MacBook refreshes. This getting stupid at this point.

Please be quiet. What you claim is not the case.

post #39 of 55
Quote:

Or set the display to "sleep" after a desired interval and the computer to never, while checking the hard disks to sleep when possible checkbox.

There is a "disable screen saver" hot corner option....

post #40 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrail View Post

I can't see there being a whole lot of hoopla over this iPhone release.  All we're getting is colored cases on last year's model, maybe an additional color on the flagship product, maybe a fingerprint reader, and (hopefully) bumps in the general specs.  It's not going to be a game changer this time around.

They're probably facing production delays again on the new iMacs or MPBs, so they want the software release closer to the hardware bumps.

Haha you funny guy!

Come on, you can do better than that.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Rumor: Apple's OS X 10.9 Mavericks to arrive in late October