or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's Jony Ive collaborates with U2's Bono on gold EarPods for charity

Apple's Jony Ive collaborates with U2's Bono on gold EarPods for charity

post #1 of 36
Apple Senior Vice President of Design Jony Ive has joined forces with fellow industrial designer Marc Newson and U2 frontman Bono's Product Red to create several one-of-a-kind pieces for an auction to benefit The Global Fund to fight AIDS, Tuberculosis, and Malaria.

red-auction-people.png

Among the more than 40 items up for bid at the event ? dubbed the (RED) Auction ? is a a pair of 18-karat solid rose gold Apple EarPods customized by Ive and Newson. Other notable items on the block include a custom Leica Digital Rangefinder camera designed entirely by the duo, which Sotheby's describes as "a feat of extraordinary engineering," along with a Steinway & Sons Parlor Grand Piano, a Range Rover, and a Jaeger-LeCoultre Atmos "561" clock which have all received attention from the designers.

red-auction-items.png

Ive and Newsom - close friends who are widely regarded as two of the best industrial designers in the world - were more than willing to lend their services to the cause. The pair are "humbled to make this contribution to such an important and worthy cause," said Ive, while Newson added that the process had been a "thrilling journey".

Apple and Bono have a long history of collaboration - U2 was featured in one of the most well-known commercials of the iPod + iTunes "silhouette" advertising campaign, while Apple has offered Product Red Special Edition iPods and accessories since 2006. Cupertino donates fifty percent of the profits earned from Product Red Special Edition merchandise to the charity.
post #2 of 36

Whoa, whoa, where's this camera that Jonathan Ive helped design? Need to see that.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

post #3 of 36
Why do they need Jony Ive to coat current earbuds with gold?
bb
bb
post #4 of 36

Wonder where Marc Newson pays his taxes? :-)

post #5 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Why do they need Bono or Marc Newsom for that?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #6 of 36
What's with Jony's gold fettish lately? That's a rhetorical question. As with 'tallest skill' looking forward to see his take on a Leica, being the photo enthusiast that I am...just hope it isn't gold too!
post #7 of 36
Originally Posted by 1983 View Post
What's with Jony's gold fettish lately?

Seeing as this collaboration with Bono is the only confirmation of Jonathan Ive caring about gold at all…

post #8 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Seeing as this collaboration with Bono is the only confirmation of Jonathan Ive caring about gold at all…

Lighten up, I mean that new champagne gold finish on the iPhone 5S.

post #9 of 36
Quote:

I think he was pulling your (gold) chain

post #10 of 36

Marc Newson looks thrilled to be Bono's armrest.

post #11 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonimus View Post

Right?!  Who does that?

post #12 of 36

Yeah? We have proof of that, do we? Please. Don't accept rumor as fact.

post #13 of 36

Proves yet again that besides being just a horrible human being, Bono still has no taste.  

The ugliest iPod ever made, and now the tackiest earbuds.  

post #14 of 36
those are just going to break in a year.
post #15 of 36
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post
Proves yet again that besides being just a horrible human being, Bono still has no taste.  

You'd think he would at least want them to MATCH his iPod. 

post #16 of 36
Ya gotta love highly-posed photos that are intended to look organic.

I can almost hear the photographer giving them instructions (in a British accent, of course) -

"Okay, here's your motivation: look relaxed, but really intense...great, now look concerned, but the kind of concerned where you don't really give a shit...perfect! Okay, now pretend you are best friends who hate is each other...Perfect! Okay people, that's a wrap!"
post #17 of 36
Quote:

They're solid gold earbuds, not coated (if I'm reading this correctly).

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #18 of 36
Quote:

A "horrible human being"? How about you put your money where your mouth is and attempt to do half the humanitarian work he's done.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #19 of 36

Yeah, we're smirking because we care so much.

post #20 of 36
Quote:

You'd think he would at least want them to MATCH his iPod. 

We'll see soon enough. :smokey:

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #21 of 36
Does the gold improve the sound?

Where's the new Apple TV?

And still waiting for SolipsismX to prove his accusation:
"And yet they haven't loved Google Wallet which you claimed was the exact same thing and kept posting...

"And yet they haven't loved Google Wallet which you claimed was the exact same thing and kept posting...
post #22 of 36
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post
Does the gold improve the sound?

It's less tinny, at any rate.

post #23 of 36
Quote:

Who made you the arbiter of good taste and what is/isn't tacky? 1rolleyes.gif
post #24 of 36
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Who made you the arbiter of good taste and what is/isn't tacky? 1rolleyes.gif

His twice great grandfather supplied staple food to soldiers in the Civil War, his grandfather had a fishing supply store, his father runs a wood painting operation, and he has a boat.

post #25 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Looks more like ghetto gold if anything. I hate to be the victim that gets those ripped out of their ears- YEOUCH!

post #26 of 36
Quote:

Yeah? We have proof of that, do we? Please. Don't accept rumor as fact.

You really... love talking Apple news, don't you?
post #27 of 36
Quote:

Looks more like ghetto gold if anything. I hate to be the victim that gets those ripped out of their ears- YEOUCH!
My guess is the person buying these will never be wearing them. It's a Sotheby's auction not ebay,
post #28 of 36
Ah Jony, I really like you too, just not the band.

Personally I like this picture better, but that's just me.

Edited by PhilBoogie - 9/9/13 at 2:03pm
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
post #29 of 36
Cure for malaria? Sure hope their efforts don't go to that flake, B Gates. His interest is to find a chemical drug to make the loot to fill his pot. Check out Jim Humble at http://miraclemineral.org/ , and the podcast interview with Kim Greenhouse at http://itsrainmakingtime.com/2013/jimhumble/ for the real answer to malaria and many other diseases from a true humanitarian. What clenches the truth behind this discovery of an innocuous substance (in proportion*) is how it is damned on Wikipedia. If it don't fit the agenda of the power class, Wikipedia is always there at beck and command.

*salt in large quantity can kill and it is called a safe substance whilst Borax, which like salt is used to change the influence of water for laundry purposes, is a mineral like any of the five electrolytes and is safe at more than double the amount of salt needed for death. It is being banned around the world- EU, Australia, New Zealand. Dentists definitely do not like boron. Wonder why? 1oyvey.gif

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

post #30 of 36
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

He said earbud, not earring.

Yikes. You do need a girlfriend. But I am not holding out much hope...

post #31 of 36
Over excited photogs. directing the subjects for something "different".
post #32 of 36
Quote:

The article actually says they are solid rose gold (assuming that excludes the drivers and the wire). Seems like every so often some jeweler ail cover a phone with diamonds and gold or platinum. Doesn't sime practical to me but I guess if you start thinking about whether they are practical you probably can't afford them anyway. (I never have heard of any of the encrusted iPhones or iPods actually selling so it is probably an advertising stunt since typically not for charity).

post #33 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Personally I like this picture better, but that's just me.

Looks like Ive hasn't replaced his watch with using his iPhone.

The Sotheby's auction is on Nov 23rd so the camera will at least show then, maybe they are keeping some of the designs under wraps until the event:

http://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/2013/null-n09014.html
post #34 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhikl View Post

Cure for malaria? Sure hope their efforts don't go to that flake, B Gates. His interest is to find a chemical drug to make the loot to fill his pot. Check out Jim Humble at http://miraclemineral.org/ , and the podcast interview with Kim Greenhouse at http://itsrainmakingtime.com/2013/jimhumble/ for the real answer to malaria and many other diseases from a true humanitarian. What clenches the truth behind this discovery of an innocuous substance (in proportion*) is how it is damned on Wikipedia. If it don't fit the agenda of the power class, Wikipedia is always there at beck and command.

*salt in large quantity can kill and it is called a safe substance whilst Borax, which like salt is used to change the influence of water for laundry purposes, is a mineral like any of the five electrolytes and is safe at more than double the amount of salt needed for death. It is being banned around the world- EU, Australia, New Zealand. Dentists definitely do not like boron. Wonder why? 1oyvey.gif

So your proof that this Humble guy's snake oil actually works is based on the fact that it is refuted in Wikipedia?

post #35 of 36
Quote:

Whoa, whoa, where's this camera that Jonathan Ive helped design? Need to see that.

Quote:

What's with Jony's gold fettish lately? That's a rhetorical question. As with 'tallest skill' looking forward to see his take on a Leica, being the photo enthusiast that I am...just hope it isn't gold too!

That was actually announced by Leica a year ago. Leica has also done this sort of *collaboration* with other designers before.

post #36 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadmatic View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonimus View Post

Right?!  Who does that?

Many people, actually. It's a common pose. I'm kind of speechless that you think this is mock-worthy. 

If you look at the three of them, it is kind of obvious Bono is most at ease in front of a camera, even if you didn't know the background of any of the three.

Edited by StruckPaper - 9/9/13 at 6:29pm
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's Jony Ive collaborates with U2's Bono on gold EarPods for charity