or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Sony takes on Apple TV with game-playing PS Vita TV

Sony takes on Apple TV with game-playing PS Vita TV

post #1 of 68
Sony on Monday announced a new addition to its PlayStation Vita ecosystem in a surprising new form factor: a game-playing set-top box for televisions that will take on Apple's own Apple TV device.

The new PS Vita TV is a diminutive device ? measuring just 6-by-10 cm ? that packs in the hardware from Sony's PS Vita portable console. That hardware will allow the console to play video game selections from the both the original PlayStation and the PlayStation Portable, as well as select titles from the PlayStation Vita.

In all, more than 100 PS Vita games, over 600 PSP games, and more than 600 PlayStation games can be played on Sony's new device. It will also be able to stream content from the forthcoming PlayStation 4 console if the television the console is regularly attached to is in use.

In a move that will bring Sony into competition with Apple in the set-top segment, the PS Vita TV will also have access to a range of video services. Many of those will be Japan-specific, including DMM.com, Tsutaya TV, and NicoNico Douga, but it will also connect to Hulu and Sony's PlayStation Store, which itself has a wide range of video offerings available.

Sony will also compete with the Apple TV on price. The PS Vita TV will retail for roughly $95 for a base version, with another bundle retailing for about $143 with a DualShock 3 controller and 8GB memory card included.

The new device could mark the first significant competition Apple has faced in the media streaming devices market. Apple TV grabbed 56 percent of that market in 2012, and other devices from Samsung and assorted competitors have failed to gain traction the way Apple's set-top box has.

Now, though, an established tech giant is stepping into the segment with a product with wide name recognition and a deep library of game and media titles to distribute. Sony's set-top offering will launch on November 14 in Japan, but the company has not yet revealed any plans for wider release.
post #2 of 68
I don't even consider Sony products anymore...
post #3 of 68
If Apple opens up the next Apple TV to third party Apps it'll be game over fir this or any other set top box.

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

post #4 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I don't even consider Sony products anymore...

Like I keep telling the android fanbois - *YOU* are not the target market.

post #5 of 68

It will all depend on how much the content is.  The problem with Sony's PS Vita, Nintendo's DS, etc. is that the titles are so much more expensive than iOS titles, and really aren't much better if at all.

Sony has some great content and previous games.  If they release some of their old titles and newer PS Vita titles for between $0.99 - $4.99, then I can see this working, but if they continue to try and milk their titles for $9.99 to $29.99 for a game, then good luck, as soon as Apple TV is open to apps, then why would I bother (as long as Apple TV apps stay in the same price range as their other iOS device counterparts).

post #6 of 68

Nice try, Sony. I don't recall my last purchase of Sony devices in my house. It's probably 15 years ago. 

Apple has not done much to their Apple TV, but if they refresh it this time to have full iOS installed and more storage space like 16GB or 32GB, the competition is really much over. I absolutely love to play iOS games on TV instead of airplay it. I bet many do too. Apple can do a lot with Apple TV since it's no longer a "hobby" product, but a true "should have" one in iOS ecosystem. I don't know why they just ignore it. Get full iOS 7 in Apple TV and let consumers go wild with it, Apple.

post #7 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlmwallace View Post

It will all depend on how much the content is.  The problem with Sony's PS Vita, Nintendo's DS, etc. is that the titles are so much more expensive than iOS titles, and really aren't much better if at all.

Sony has some great content and previous games.  If they release some of their old titles and newer PS Vita titles for between $0.99 - $4.99, then I can see this working, but if they continue to try and milk their titles for $9.99 to $29.99 for a game, then good luck, as soon as Apple TV is open to apps, then why would I bother (as long as Apple TV apps stay in the same price range as their other iOS device counterparts).

The $. 99 price point is just a facade. Most games don't allow one to do much without one spending more money on in app purchases.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #8 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

The $. 99 price point is just a facade. Most games don't allow one to do much without one spending more money on in app purchases.

Nor should they (if they have value.)

post #9 of 68

In their fall to the ground after having been stabbed, Sony has decided to shoot themselves in the arm.

This cannot play the entire Vita library, whereas the 2DS can play all 3DS games. Good luck selling it.

Edited by Tallest Skil - 9/9/13 at 2:46pm

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #10 of 68
It's a big wall. Let's see what sticks.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #11 of 68
Apple TV with the new controllers for ios7 = big win.

I'll wait to see what Apple does with Apple TV, seriously where the hell is the App Store for it?

If apple doesn't make a serious effort soon I could see myself getting one of these.
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
post #12 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Nor should they (if they have value.)

Why not? Angry Birds lets one play the entire game without needing to buy anything additional. It's quite annoying having to start a game like Temple Run from the beginning every single time.
post #13 of 68
I don't particularly care if Apple TV gets an AppStore or not. I use it more for mirroring than anything else. What I want are physical controllers for iOS games. This way I can play games either on my TV (through ATV) or while on the go. Though i don't want to have to always use a controller. I have no desire to have game Apps on my Apple TV. For one, the size of a good game is very large - 1GB minimum. This means the Apple TV would need more memory creating more SKU'S for a product that really doesn't sell in high numbers. Would anyone pay $50 more for a 16GB ATV? How about $250 for a 32GB ATV? Needless to say I don't think this will ever happen.

If you think gaming will sync using iCloud think about who uses the TV in your house. In my house it's more than 1 person. Does this mean the ATV needs user accounts?

Another thoguht - I have an Apple TV on every TV in my house. I can walk into any room and steam music, videos, movies, listen to Apple radio, or mirror an iOS game (or Mac). If ATV had an AppStore I would only be able to play on that 1 TV.

I'm sure there are great reasons for ATV apps but gaming is not one of them.
post #14 of 68

Sony and MS are both desperately trying to expand their game consoles into full blown media ecosystems to rival Apple's. but except for their die-hard fans who wants to live inside their small and expensive "walled gardens"? Apple's is bigger, better, and - as a matter of fact - less expensive.

while on the other hand, with iOS 7 Apple is expanding its ecosystem to include game controllers for Apple TV via AirPlay (at least). who do you think is going to come out ahead?

post #15 of 68

What cracks me up and makes me buy even more Apple stock is all these "process" companies who invariably sell theirr latest gizmo and tick off various features it has thinking that is all they have to do to make it a best seller. They just don't get it , they simply do not understanmd that content/ quality is the name of the game now. Content is not in their DNA

Let me explain: I lie propped up in bed at home, watching an interview given to Steve Jobs, a lost recording from 1995. It “flickered” on my iPad, showing a younger Jobs just before he was to go back to Apple and start on a 15 year restoration and blossoming of Apple into the corporation it is today. I listening and watched his face and especially his eyes explains the whole ethos of Apple, You probably understand to some extent what he is talking about , But the next morning I woke up in a strange yet tranquil mood. As I sit here at my office desk, looking at the series of tasks and goals I have on my plate, I still can't get him out of my head. There is one point where in one of his answers about people , he explains there are several kinds of people in this world,There are those who “get it” , who know how to design, implement and program. he specifically used the idea that in life the difference between something in a product that does it ‘Okay” and another similar product that does it “great” is at most maybe at most in the order of 2:1, and usually something like 1.2 to 1 or 1.1 to 1. He used examples like a car, or a radio where the basic model will provide what we need and the great model will only really be 10-15 percent better and 'all we can achieve. And that our whole culture works operated off this fact. He then went on to say that with computers its different and that the ratio is something like 50:1, I realized right there he had something. I knew he was right I don't know why. I just know. After that illumination dropped Steve went on to say that when hiring people to work at Apple he wanted mainly people who were the same way. Explaining he said There are people who simply don’t know what they are doing.

DON'T know WHAT they ARE DOING

PEOPLE WHO DO, ARE LIKE THIS AND THAT

PEOPLE WHO DO, ARE HARD TO MANAGE

PEOPLE WHO DO, ARE THE ONES NEEDED TO CREATE GREAT COMPUTERS

HE ALSO SAID, THE B’s AND Unders follow process not the content!

What I think he means by that is , Content is the quality so to speak of the widget, does it look great, is it cool, does it inspire. Essentially: Does it do the thing it was designed to do really really well? I think he means the “A” types look at the content first and decide if it worth doing (Content).  Then they look at the process and replicate it (process), Companies like Sony do process first and fail

Originally Posted by Rickers - 2014

Cook & Co will bury Apple.  They can only ride Steve's ghost for so long.  Steve == Apple and Apple == Steve.  

Originally Posted by Rickers - 2014

Cook & Co will bury Apple.  They can only ride Steve's ghost for so long.  Steve == Apple and Apple == Steve.  

post #16 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

In their fall to the ground after having been stabbed, Sony has decided to shoot themselves in the arm.

This cannot play the entire Vita library, whereas the 2DS can play all 3DS games. Good luck selling it.

Nintendo is going down before Sony. 

http://www.asymco.com/2013/09/09/game-over/

post #17 of 68
This is almost exactly what Nintendo should have followed up the Wii with. Low cost, download only software, App Store efficiency. Nintendo has the first party software to give it value. No one wanted underpowered and expensive Wii U with a low-quality second screen. It's a shame their 3DS is a low-resolution, multi-screen hot mess too. If it was a HD console like the vita it would be doing phenomenally better.
post #18 of 68
Quote:

What wasn't mentioned was its ability to play games on the PS4. The ability to play PS4 games on a different TV in. Different room would be a huge advantage at that price point.
post #19 of 68
Quote:

I am bearish on this too.

The problem with Vita TV is that it can't survive competing along side the PS3/PS4. Xbox One is Microsoft's sole living TV solution. AppleTV is Apple's sole set top box. Vita TV is not. If Sony starts confusing consumers with PS4 + PS Vita TV as solutions for video content delivery, they'll weaken both platforms. This will not solve the Vita's problems. Sony needs to decide what market it will own and build the best solution for it: if Vita is meant for "hardcore gamers who want to play Splinter Cell on a portable console," then they have that market all to themselves, unless Microsoft decides to create a portable Xbox. That market isn't anywhere bear the size of the market for smartphones, so Sony will have to accept smaller sales.

If I wanted a console connected to my TV, I'd rather get a PS4 or connect and play PS Vita to my TV; I don't want a Vita console.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #20 of 68

It's a nice looking little box that does quite a lot of cool things, as both a companion device and a standalone.  Interesting move.  And they've got the controller sorted for gaming, which is where the question mark hangs over Apple.

Sony seem like the player to bet on in the next console wars, and this strengthens their offering, if they market it right.  Good to see, I like Sony.

censored

censored

post #21 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Apple TV with the new controllers for ios7 = big win.

I'll wait to see what Apple does with Apple TV, seriously where the hell is the App Store for it?

If apple doesn't make a serious effort soon I could see myself getting one of these.

Not sure why this expectation exists. Apple never promised that. Oddly, nobody expects Chromecast to have an App Store.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #22 of 68
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Nintendo is going down before Sony. 

http://www.asymco.com/2013/09/09/game-over/

They have the money to stay afloat without making product for a decade. About half as long as Apple. No, this isn't happening.

post #23 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Why not? Angry Birds lets one play the entire game without needing to buy anything additional..

Yep. Thanks for disproving your original point.

There are other games that you can play the full game without spending money, as well. Dragonvale comes to mind. Plants vs Zombies.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #24 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Yep. Thanks for disproving your original point.

There are other games that you can play the full game without spending money, as well. Dragonvale comes to mind. Plants vs Zombies.

They're the exception not the norm. I didn't want to be accused of saying that all games require in app purchases to do anything of worth.
post #25 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65C816 View Post

Like I keep telling the android fanbois - *YOU* are not the target market.

Dude! No need to "yell!"

My point is, simply, Sony, thru complacency, squandered all their hard work thru the 80's, 90's and early 2000's.

Chill bro. I guess, I should explain and use more words next time.  :)

My premise has always been MS has done more harm than good to tech companies like Sony, HP, Gateway, Compac, Dell. Palm, Nokia, etc., etc. Sony hitched their wagon to MS and is now paying the price.

Edited by christopher126 - 9/9/13 at 3:56pm
post #26 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

If Apple opens up the next Apple TV to third party Apps it'll be game over fir this or any other set top box.

Agreed, Eric. :)

One has to believe, Apple is working on this. As in usual Apple style, they are waiting/working to get it right.

post #27 of 68
Still trying to get us all to buy a 'Vita', Sony?

That'll be as effective as Angry Birds attending anger management classes...
My car keeps crashing whenever I do 150mph. It's a design flaw. People tell me to slow down and drive normally but I should be able to use it as I wish.
My car keeps crashing whenever I do 150mph. It's a design flaw. People tell me to slow down and drive normally but I should be able to use it as I wish.
post #28 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Still trying to get us all to buy a 'Vita', Sony?

That'll be as effective as Angry Birds attending anger management classes...
Per Cnet:
"The new PlayStation Vita TV, unveiled Monday by Sony, will serve as a multimedia-streaming station that connects to the PlatStation 4. Among other things, it will allow people to play games remotely from the PS4 in another room using a DualShock 3 controller."

For $95 bucks that is a pretty big deal.
post #29 of 68

Whats with all the butthurt?.
This thing looks infinitely better than the apple TV for playing games (just for games), But honestly, I never use my apple TV for games, if i'm going to play a console hooked up to a TV, i'm not gonna use a Vita TV, i'm sure as hell not using an Apple TV.

Streaming music & movies/TV, is what i prefer & the apple TV is really good at those things, i don't see what this thing can do to improve off that? unless it has a USB port & network connectivity, giving the ability to watch movies off a server or NAS, then its a WD TV box.

Just read this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripe Apple View Post

Per Cnet:
"The new PlayStation Vita TV, unveiled Monday by Sony, will serve as a multimedia-streaming station that connects to the PlatStation 4. Among other things, it will allow people to play games remotely from the PS4 in another room using a DualShock 3 controller."

Ok, now is see this systems potential. 

that is pretty cool. 

post #30 of 68
It's just another gimmick by tired a** Sony to get people to buy.
Seriously, why would I want to break the novelty of using a potable to play it on a damn television? LOL!
Why the hell would a Vita/PS owner shell out cash for this crap. Get the hell out my face!
post #31 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

It's just another gimmick by tired a** Sony to get people to buy.
Seriously, why would I want to break the novelty of using a potable to play it on a damn television? LOL!
Why the hell would a Vita/PS owner shell out cash for this crap. Get the hell out my face!

Did you miss the part about it playing the games on your PS4?

post #32 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlmwallace View Post

Sony has a strong push towards Indie and "snack-size" games. Some of them were available on PS3 through PSN - I was playing FlightControl with Move controller on PS3 more than a year ago, and I also recognised number of other titles I have already seen on AppStore. Granted, choice was limited, but I think they will try to lure as many developers under this new initiative as they can get.

I'm expecting they will try to cover whole range with this initiative - snacks for few bucks and AAA titles for, well, full course price. I think it looks interesting, at least for people who already have PS3 and are planning to get PS4. Being one of them, I'll definitely look at this.
post #33 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripe Apple View Post

Per Cnet:

You'll have to forgive me for not getting enthusiastic about a device that will operate "from room to room" from the folks who can't get their own App Store to open without shuddering, wheezing, and groaning.
post #34 of 68
Quote:

You'll have to forgive me for not getting enthusiastic about a device that will operate "from room to room" from the folks who can't get their own App Store to open without shuddering, wheezing, and groaning.

Assuming it works it will be a big deal. Sony makes good hardware, you may not care for their online services but the two things are different.

post #35 of 68
Well, I am a pretty die hard Apple guy but am not totally blinded by that fact. In fact, I have been a fan of Sony product for years.

I owned a number of their Trinitron TV's. I have owned some of their ES line of receiver and other audio components.

I have had and have Playstation's. I have a Vita and a PSP as well.

This new device looks interesting.

I have an Apple TV and I like it though they really have not done jack crap to it in 6 years. Even a die hard Apple fan should admit to that fact. I got one pretty much on day 1.

Apple TV with a controller?

LOL

Its touch all the way with Apple. And it works well for a good number of games but for some, its pure crap and you just can't spin it any other way.
post #36 of 68

I like this. The fact that it streams PS4 games over WiFi and plays PS1 and Vita games is worth $95.

post #37 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripe Apple View Post

Assuming it works it will be a big deal.

Exactly.

And you believe that Sony's online services (which runs using software) are different from this device, which will use hardware only, with not a hint of software found to drive it, huh?

post #38 of 68
Quote:

Exactly.

And you believe that Sony's online services (which runs using software) are different from this device, which will use hardware only, with not a hint of software found to drive it, huh?

Yes, I think this device can work. 

post #39 of 68
How does it play PS1 games? There's no disc reader.
post #40 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post

How does it play PS1 games? There's no disc reader.

PlayStation Store. Same way the PS3 can play them. 

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Sony takes on Apple TV with game-playing PS Vita TV