or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Sony takes on Apple TV with game-playing PS Vita TV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony takes on Apple TV with game-playing PS Vita TV - Page 2

post #41 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post
 

 

Exactly.

 

And you believe that Sony's online services (which runs using software) are different from this device, which will use hardware only, with not a hint of software found to drive it, huh?

 

This is like saying OS X and iOS suck because they messed up MobileMe and iCloud before.

post #42 of 68
Why does Sony go after what apple had already targeted when apple has animated all rest, I mean apple has one the movies, but this is like the last rope thrown before they fall off the cliff, however this has no traction.
post #43 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Dude! No need to "yell!"

My point is, simply, Sony, thru complacency, squandered all their hard work thru the 80's, 90's and early 2000's.

Chill bro. I guess, I should explain and use more words next time.  1smile.gif

My premise has always been MS has done more harm than good to tech companies like Sony, HP, Gateway, Compac, Dell. Palm, Nokia, etc., etc. Sony hitched their wagon to MS and is now paying the price.

Doesn't make much sense to me.

What would those companies do otherwise? Each develop their own platforms - like Atari did with TOS/GEM, Commodore with AmigaOS/Workbench, Unisys with BTOS..? Stick with CP/M? Embrace early Linux?

Frankly, I don't think many of those companies would exist in a first place, without someone providing standard platform. It happened to be Microsoft. It could have been someone else. Would they be any better? Or much worse?

Re Sony. Their downfall has nothing to do with Microsoft. Like many tech companies, they lost their advantages in TV, audio equipment... by stopping innovating, overpricing for average product quality and doing a few controversial moves with DRM, proprietary formats. VAIO line was never major for Sony, but even then - to my knowledge - VAIO is not doing too bad, especially compared to industry in general.
post #44 of 68
Yes yes, it's not Apple, so it sucks. /s

But that's an attractive little box and I hope it works well and improves on its features. If it can incorporate chromecast-like streaming as well as expand on its apps (no Netflix or amazon? Yikes)- it will be amazing.

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #45 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Yes yes, it's not Apple, so it sucks. /s

But that's an attractive little box and I hope it works well and improves on its features. If it can incorporate chromecast-like streaming as well as expand on its apps (no Netflix or amazon? Yikes)- it will be amazing.

Right now it's only being released in Japan. I'd hope that the US version would have at least Netflix.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #46 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

Why does Sony go after what apple had already targeted when apple has animated all rest, I mean apple has one the movies, but this is like the last rope thrown before they fall off the cliff, however this has no traction.

This is nothing like the ATV- it does- literally- nothing the ATV does. Why compare it to that? It's a phenomenal add-on to the PS3/4 as is- and if it added more capabilities like smartphone streaming, and some apps like Netflix, Someone who games with those would be all over that- and rightfully so!

People who get this likely wouldn't have gotten the ATV anyway- so it's kind of an open market.

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #47 of 68
Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post
disc reader.

 

Talk about passé. :p

post #48 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post


Doesn't make much sense to me.

What would those companies do otherwise? Each develop their own platforms - like Atari did with TOS/GEM, Commodore with AmigaOS/Workbench, Unisys with BTOS..? Stick with CP/M? Embrace early Linux?

Frankly, I don't think many of those companies would exist in a first place, without someone providing standard platform. It happened to be Microsoft. It could have been someone else. Would they be any better? Or much worse?

Re Sony. Their downfall has nothing to do with Microsoft. Like many tech companies, they lost their advantages in TV, audio equipment... by stopping innovating, overpricing for average product quality and doing a few controversial moves with DRM, proprietary formats. VAIO line was never major for Sony, but even then - to my knowledge - VAIO is not doing too bad, especially compared to industry in general.

 

Good points. My premise is that MS provided a subpar OS/product and Sony and others embraced it b/c it was easy, i.e., short term profitability. And as it turns out has contributed to their downturn.

 

If you think about it, it's not unlike companies embracing Google's Android which is an absolute horse shit of an OS.  

post #49 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Good points. My premise is that MS provided a subpar OS/product and Sony and others embraced it b/c it was easy, i.e., short term profitability. And as it turns out has contributed to their downturn.

If you think about it, it's not unlike companies embracing Google's Android which is an absolute horse shit of an OS.  

The profit was not short term, and at least they're still around. How many companies would've gone bankrupt had they all tried making their own OS?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #50 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlmwallace View Post
 

It will all depend on how much the content is.  The problem with Sony's PS Vita, Nintendo's DS, etc. is that the titles are so much more expensive than iOS titles, and really aren't much better if at all.

Actually they are quite a bit better and the best part is you won't have your save game data wiped out by a restore ala iOS.

post #51 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


The profit was not short term, and at least they're still around. How many companies would've gone bankrupt had they all tried making their own OS?

 

I hear you, but that's my point. 

 

The largest restaurant chain in the world is McDonald's, and what do they sell? Crap!

The largest beverage company in the world is Coca-Cola, and what do they sell? Crap! 

The largest car manufacturer in the world is GM (for awhile) and what do they sell? Crap! 

The largest software company in the world is MS, and what do they sell? Crap! 

The largest PC manufacturer in the world is HP, and what do they sell? Crap!

Nokia sold crap phones.

BB sold crap phones.

Dell sells crap PC's.

Samsung sells crap phones.

Google sold crap phones and tablets.

Motorola sold the Xzoom. Crap.

MS sells the RT and Surface. Crap.

 

 

 

You're saying to stay in business you need to make crap. Errrr, I disagree and Apple is my proof. Ugh!

post #52 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlmwallace View Post

If they release some of their old titles and newer PS Vita titles for between $0.99 - $4.99, then I can see this working, but if they continue to try and milk their titles for $9.99 to $29.99 for a game, then good luck, as soon as Apple TV is open to apps, then why would I bother (as long as Apple TV apps stay in the same price range as their other iOS device counterparts).

I think that price range is ok if most are around $10, which they seem to be on PSN. It says it plays 600 PSOne and 600 PSP titles - that's a significant amount of AAA games e.g Silent Hill Shattered Memories:



Burnout Legends:



The Syphon Filter series:



Tomb Raider Anniversary:



The PSP is practically a portable PS2, which makes this device the equivalent of a PS2 and an Apple TV. The PS2 is the best-selling games console of all time:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_game_consoles

and the PSOne is 4th. Not everyone wants to keep playing such old games of course but this is a great console for the lower end of the market. Kids that are say 5-12 years old may not have experienced any games and a $400-500 console isn't going to be appreciated much. This is a more disposable purchase and comes with TV features. I wish Apple and Sony could team up with things like this, their eco-systems would work so well together but the problem is they are complete rivals here and they couldn't exactly put out a box with one logo or the other.
post #53 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I hear you, but that's my point. 

The largest restaurant chain in the world is McDonald's, and what do they sell? Crap!
The largest beverage company in the world is Coca-Cola, and what do they sell? Crap! 
The largest car manufacturer in the world is GM (for awhile) and what do they sell? Crap! 
The largest software company in the world is MS, and what do they sell? Crap! 
The largest PC manufacturer in the world is HP, and what do they sell? Crap!

You're saying to stay in business you need to make crap. Errrr, I disagree and Apple is my proof. Ugh!

But you only have one example as proof. Does that mean it would work for all?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #54 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post
 

This is like saying OS X and iOS suck because they messed up MobileMe and iCloud before.

 

Apple is irrelevant in the matter.

 

Let's face it, folks. Sony's track record with anything other than the Playstation has been appalling.

 

Sony is more than welcome to try and convince me otherwise by improving their products but, in the absence of solid reviews, I'm going to make an assumption that it's likely to be like most of their other gear. 

 

If you don't like that, too bad.

Pot is legal in North Korea.
That explains a considerable amount.

"The United States will respond proportionally at a place and time we choose..."
Reply
Pot is legal in North Korea.
That explains a considerable amount.

"The United States will respond proportionally at a place and time we choose..."
Reply
post #55 of 68
Surprisingly interesting for a Sony product. I'm intrigued.
post #56 of 68

It's shaping up to be an interesting winter for hardware releases.

 

I can't see the app-store being added for AppleTv when one can simply AirPlay to it.

The bluetooth controllers we will soon have should make iOS gaming pretty neat though.

That's only for casual gaming though, not full-blown gaming.

 

As for consoles, MS seem intent on going further with a one-box-does-everything premise than even Sony tired with the PS3. The problem is that, it didn't work for Sony when they tried it with the PS3, and it won't work for MS. People don't want one box that does everything, that's old thinking. Now the game is quality focused devices. Like Apple makes. e.g. the ATV doesn't have a drive in any more. Another example, the best device if you want to read books is not the iPad, it's the E-Ink Kindle.

 

The first TV advert for the XB1 doesn't even mention or show that it can play games!

 

Yes iPhones/iPads can do multiple things but they are still focused devices compared to PS4/XB1. iOS devices don't try to be the best console and the best tv box and the best blah, blah, blah. iPhone is the best phone (it's small enough to fit in your pocket so doing other things really well too is a great bonus). iPad tries to be the best tablet, you would expect a tablet to do things a phone can't and not try to be a phone. It's focused. The likes of Sony/MS wouldn't make an iPad-like device, they'd make a phone the size of a tablet and add an external keyboard etc. Try fitting an XB1 in your pocket or briefcase.

 

The PS4 seems better than the XB1, but Sony really need to improve the quality of the experience. the PS3 software experience for a user is very dated and frankly, rubbish. Nearly as poor as the XBox experience.

 

I'll probably get a PS4 but only as real gaming on the Mac isn't there.

 

I still think both Sony & MS have got it wrong (MS have got it more wrong though) and the market is there for the taking by Apple if they want it.

 

If Apple brought out a gaming console... (maybe those new set-top-boxes are Apple Game devices).

post #57 of 68
If this is $95 then ps vita is dead they killed it off by this. Glad I'm tendo boy!
$500 ps4 plus $100 a game is far too much I can't even play a ps3 game on it only via download and that's in 2014!
post #58 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zozman View Post
 

Whats with all the butthurt?.
 

 

a typical overly-defensive and inane reaction to anything that remotely resembles what an Apple product does or may do.  the PlayStation Vita TV is a device to play games; there are people who perceive it as enough of a threat to perversely warrant bashing it.

post #59 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by APPLGUY View Post

I don't particularly care if Apple TV gets an AppStore or not. I use it more for mirroring than anything else. What I want are physical controllers for iOS games. This way I can play games either on my TV (through ATV) or while on the go. Though i don't want to have to always use a controller. I have no desire to have game Apps on my Apple TV. For one, the size of a good game is very large - 1GB minimum. This means the Apple TV would need more memory creating more SKU'S for a product that really doesn't sell in high numbers. Would anyone pay $50 more for a 16GB ATV? How about $250 for a 32GB ATV? Needless to say I don't think this will ever happen.

If you think gaming will sync using iCloud think about who uses the TV in your house. In my house it's more than 1 person. Does this mean the ATV needs user accounts?

Another thoguht - I have an Apple TV on every TV in my house. I can walk into any room and steam music, videos, movies, listen to Apple radio, or mirror an iOS game (or Mac). If ATV had an AppStore I would only be able to play on that 1 TV.

I'm sure there are great reasons for ATV apps but gaming is not one of them.

 

This is pretty much the opposite of what I think.

post #60 of 68
I hope this box has very good upscaling. Playstation One, Playstation Portable, and Playstation Vita games are all so very low resolution - it's going to be hard to make them not look like crap on an HDTV.
post #61 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayan View Post

I hope this box has very good upscaling. Playstation One, Playstation Portable, and Playstation Vita games are all so very low resolution - it's going to be hard to make them not look like crap on an HDTV.

 

I think the desire to play PS1 games is overstated anyways. Never is when I had the desire to play any PS1 game or nearly any old game for that matter. Once in a while for nostalgia sake but other than that? 

post #62 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripe Apple View Post

I think the desire to play PS1 games is overstated anyways. Never is when I had the desire to play any PS1 game or nearly any old game for that matter. Once in a while for nostalgia sake but other than that? 

Once in a while is not never.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #63 of 68
I do like the fact that you can stream/switch your game-playing from one TV to another with this. If someone would come up with a decent media distribution system for in-house media I'd be in heaven. If I can play my game in the living room, then transfer to the bedroom without missing anything, that'd be awesome.
post #64 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino_tuff View Post

I do like the fact that you can stream/switch your game-playing from one TV to another with this. If someone would come up with a decent media distribution system for in-house media I'd be in heaven. If I can play my game in the living room, then transfer to the bedroom without missing anything, that'd be awesome.

 

I'm sure game fans would love it if this could also work for local multiplayer, so instead of splitting a screen you have one PS3/4 doing the grunt work and linked to one screen, and serving the game to one or more Vita TVs in different rooms, each with their own screen.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #65 of 68

I don't know what's more surprising.

 

The fact that they feel like they can challenge Apple, or the fact that Sony is still around.

post #66 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Once in a while is not never.

But not enough to spend $95 just for that either. Or to spend that much more to make a console backwards compatible either.

I think it is a nice feature, but so are disc drives on Macs and those are dead now without the world ending.
post #67 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripe Apple View Post

I think it is a nice feature, but so are disc drives on Macs and those are dead now without the world ending.

 

http://store.apple.com/au/product/MD564ZM/A/apple-usb-superdrive

 

Pot is legal in North Korea.
That explains a considerable amount.

"The United States will respond proportionally at a place and time we choose..."
Reply
Pot is legal in North Korea.
That explains a considerable amount.

"The United States will respond proportionally at a place and time we choose..."
Reply
post #68 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I am bearish on this too.

The problem with Vita TV is that it can't survive competing along side the PS3/PS4. Xbox One is Microsoft's sole living TV solution. AppleTV is Apple's sole set top box. Vita TV is not. If Sony starts confusing consumers with PS4 + PS Vita TV as solutions for video content delivery, they'll weaken both platforms. This will not solve the Vita's problems. Sony needs to decide what market it will own and build the best solution for it: if Vita is meant for "hardcore gamers who want to play Splinter Cell on a portable console," then they have that market all to themselves, unless Microsoft decides to create a portable Xbox. That market isn't anywhere bear the size of the market for smartphones, so Sony will have to accept smaller sales.

If I wanted a console connected to my TV, I'd rather get a PS4 or connect and play PS Vita to my TV; I don't want a Vita console.

I gotta agree with u sir. Microsoft at this point has nothing to lose by making an Xbox portable, and the closest I can get to on-the-go gaming with bluetooth controller is anything after Android 4.2 with a quad core. I want Apple to achieve greater, but they seem content not to, Nintendo hasn't really registered for me...and after picking up a PSV TV yesterday, I'm just plain fed up with Sony. The system is region locked to Japan, it fails as an STB, with PSN tv shows for Japan in only standard definition (???)...for damn near $5 an episode??? Aside from a few kiddie platformers, this piece of junk holds no promise of awesomeness to an American market--unless Sony tries to make amends in the next few months. There are NO games I really care to play on Sony's confirmed listing of compatible games--there's nothing largely there besides a gangload of RPGs and Puzzle games! No action titles at all--no old school titles like Metal Slug, and especially no recent stuff like 'Batman Arkham Origins Blackgate' , or Uncharted. This is being marketed strictly to Japan's core audience, so its a slap inthe face to advertise that "Yes--You PSP/PSV fanboy, can play your favorite titles in glorious 1080i popular from nearly a decade ago..."You can play some of Japan's barely impressive collection of Vita titles..." would be more accurate. I pray some Homebrew guys get a hold of it, and squeeze some coolness into it!!! After the Xperia Z tablet--which is awesome, I thought that PSV TV would have been the next step to greatness...especially since China's produced a cheezy clone of the Vita running Android with the stuff that fans wanted from Sony--HDMI out and and usb. The rest of the world shouldn't waste their time on this, unless Sony decides to deliver...what a waste of $100 :-(
Edited by TheTruth - 11/15/13 at 11:08pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Sony takes on Apple TV with game-playing PS Vita TV