or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Photo of alleged 'iPhone 5S' user guide reveals 'Touch ID sensor' home button

Photo of alleged 'iPhone 5S' user guide reveals 'Touch ID sensor' home button - Page 2

post #41 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by VL-Tone View Post

Do you have a better suggestion? FingerPass?

FingerMe

Bah. Beaten to the punch.
post #42 of 79

I think Touch ID is a good name. I wonder if they will integrate it with parental controls, so that, e.g. the parent's thumbprint is needed for a kid to make an in-app purchase?

post #43 of 79

Fake.

Unless Apple is departing from the usual black and white quick start guides of the last six iPhones.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #44 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

Yes, sweet!

Nah, then you'd have people talk about "fingering" their iPhones.

post #45 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordon Eagan View Post

Instead of "Touch ID" how about something a little more imposing sounding ...like "Falangial Authentification and Registration Terminus" ... or F. A. R. T. for short? ... come to think of it, maybe "Touch ID" ain't so bad after all!

Phalangial?

post #46 of 79
How about TouchKey, to link it with Keychain?

censored

censored

post #47 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

Touch ID? Terrible name. Very un-Apple-like.

If it's used for anything from unlocking the phone to buying apps it may prove a decent name. We don't know what's planned for this sensor, or if it'll start to make its way across other Mac products and not just iDevices. It's definitely an unexpected name, but I'd be hesitant in calling it terrible at this point. Just look at Wii and iPad. Both initially lambasted, both genius.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #48 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by WonkoTheSane View Post

So no icon on the home button if true.

Which would make sense considering it is now performing two completely different functions.
post #49 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlord View Post

iPass
iTouch
iToucnPass
iFinger (ops!)
iSilverHole
None of these make as much sense as "TouchID" to me.

What does it do? It identifies the user to the phone or to services the phone is connected to.
How does it do it? You touch it. In the circle.

It might be 20-20 hindsight, but both the name and the removal of the roundedrect icon makes total sense IMO.
post #50 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Just noticed the event invitation has a few silver (well, gray) rings amidst the filled colored dots.

Well spotted.
post #51 of 79

Aint this the first time we see a pic with 5 S?

post #52 of 79

That silver band is the KeyRing.

I expect a cheque in the mail.

censored

censored

post #53 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Everything. Tell us what we "know". How much RAM? What processor? How about the cameras? Maybe the size and weight. How about other hardware and software features? What telephony chip is it using? ...
You always say this because yes, we don't know the specific specs of the phone.

But for most folks, knowing what it looks like, what each part that goes into it looks like, having high resolution photos of same to pour over, knowing what the packaging looks like, what the marketing materials and how to's look like, along with detailed inside information of the new OS it will run, complete with video walk throughs of every feature is indeed "Knowing everything about the new iPhone."

As everyone says nowadays, specs are irrelevant relative to the actual experience of using the device which we also know just from past history will be both good, and faster/smoother than current models. It's just silly to argue that we don't in fact know pretty much everything there is to know about this new phone.

That's not to say there isn't some missing information and possibly a surprise or two, but clearly they will be minor. Just like last year.
post #54 of 79
Wow the stock is selling off already...I imagine by the end of the day the stock will be down 3-5%. No matter what they announce, even if its what everyone expected the stock will tank.
post #55 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Fake.

Unless Apple is departing from the usual black and white quick start guides of the last six iPhones.

Huh?

http://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/1000/MA1599/en_US/iphone_4s_finger_tips_guide.pdf
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #56 of 79
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post
But for most folks, knowing what it looks like, what each part that goes into it looks like, having high resolution photos of same to pour over, knowing what the packaging looks like, what the marketing materials and how to's look like, along with detailed inside information of the new OS it will run, complete with video walk throughs of every feature is indeed "Knowing everything about the new iPhone."

So from what it looks like they determine what they can do with it? What software it runs, what features it has?

As everyone says nowadays, specs are irrelevant relative to the actual experience of using the device

Right. You can have the best specs in the world, but if there's no software installed all you'll get is an Apple logo that comes up really quickly and stays up until the battery dies.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.

post #57 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosstheboss View Post

Finger-Pass is a great name for it. And iFinger too!

"Hello User, what seems to be the problem?"
"Hi Genius, my phone keeps asking me to Finger-Pass myself in to my iPhone"
"You need to increase the intervals between times when you need to Finger-Pass yourself in to your device"
"Great, I'll go and wash my finger"

"Hello User, what seems to be the problem?"
"Hi Genius, my phone keeps asking me to iFinger myself in to my iPhone"
"You need to increase the intervals between times when you need to iFinger yourself in to your device"
"Great, I'll go and wash my iFinger"
The champagne iPhone will be "Goldfinger," Apple bought the rights to it from Ian Fleming, they also bought "Pussy Galore. " I believe "Pussies Galore" will be used in marketing towards all other phones!
post #58 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

KeyRing.

Ooh... now that is a good name.

post #59 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

Touch ID? Terrible name. Very un-Apple-like.

Should be some sort of completely unrelated weather term.  Maybe cumulus or hail 

post #60 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by VL-Tone View Post

Do you have a better suggestion? FingerPass?

Finglet.

Where's the new Apple TV?

post #61 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Wow the stock is selling off already...I imagine by the end of the day the stock will be down 3-5%. No matter what they announce, even if its what everyone expected the stock will tank.

If too many people think we are going to sell on the news then its going to sell ahead of it. I dont think we rally too much into the event so the sell the news could be limited.

If we would had rally up to 520+ into the event I would be worry more, but the sotck stalled around $500 because of the sell the news fers imo.

That being said, there is nothing wrong with selling a bit of stocks into the event. 

post #62 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Ooh... now that is a good name.

Solid Gold.
Goldmember.
Pinot Grigio iPhone- because the French wouldn't sell but the Italians would.

post #63 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by macart View Post

The champagne iPhone will be "Goldfinger," Apple bought the rights to it from Ian Fleming, they also bought "Pussy Galore. " I believe "Pussies Galore" will be used in marketing towards all other phones!

You might be interest to know that Erno Goldfinger was a Hungarian architect. He's built some real Brutalist corkers in London! Well worth a look.

post #64 of 79

I think the fingerprint sensor is in Apple's sweet spot of taking long sought after technology and making it work for a user. Let's hope they hit a home run with it.

post #65 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

If you don't like the 5C packing- it's because it isn't marketed to you.

I can agree to that. Maybe it is just me. 

post #66 of 79
Quote:

Everything. Tell us what we "know". How much RAM? What processor? How about the cameras? Maybe the size and weight. How about other hardware and software features? What telephony chip is it using?

Now prove you know any of that. We know THAT there will be a new iPhone.

Correct. We could have certain unmentionable display technologies and not know anything about it at this point, secrecy having been doubled down upon and all. (Nice syntax, eh?)
Quote:
Then why have I liked the packaging for every single Apple product since Steve came back except for this one?

Packaging that will not fly in Columbus will in Shanghai be humongous.
Edited by Flaneur - 9/10/13 at 7:40am
post #67 of 79
Quote:

Then why have I liked the packaging for every single Apple product since Steve came back except for this one?
You liked the 2012 Pink iPod nano packaging? If so- then how can you not like this. They're identical.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #68 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Nah, then you'd have people talk about "fingering" their iPhones.

Fingering the iPhone will make it vibrate and wake up Siri,

I look forward to all the new apps that will incorporate this new technology.

post #69 of 79
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post
Packaging that will not fly in Columbus will in Shanghai be humungous.

Nice almost rhyme, but that doesn't in itself convince me.

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post
You liked the 2012 Pink iPod nano packaging? If so- then how can you not like this. They're identical.

That wallpaper is what kills it. The phone is color, right? Then that should be the only color on the packaging. 

post #70 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Packaging that will not fly in Columbus will in Shanghai be humongous.

The Chinese want the same good quality products as anyone else. They won't be amused by "Look, we made this cheap one for you while the rest of us continue to use the normal iPhone."

post #71 of 79
The Chinese want the same good quality products as anyone else. They won't be amused by "Look, we made this cheap one for you while the rest of us continue to use the normal iPhone."

Why? All of their domestic companies makes cheap crap, stolen directly from the real products made elsewhere (or FOR elsewhere) and the citizens snap it right up.

post #72 of 79
Quote:

Why? All of their domestic companies makes cheap crap, stolen directly from the real products made elsewhere (or FOR elsewhere) and the citizens snap it right up.

The "stolen directly" is the the point. A lot of these products are knock offs, designed to look like expensive brands, even if they aren't.

Apple had the right strategy: make a cheaper phone for Asia. But they had (er, will have) the wrong tactics. They should have made the iPhone 5C as visually indistinguishable as possible from the 5S, while still being cheaper. People are very aspirational and image conscious in Asia, they want to be seen to have the best. These ones are brightly, obviously, from across the room, the "cheap model."

Since Tim Cook is responsible for strategy, and his minions are responsible for tactics, Tim has not stuffed up here, but someone has.

post #73 of 79
Quote:

That wallpaper is what kills it. The phone is color, right? Then that should be the only color on the packaging. 
That's my point- the wallpaper on the 2012 Nanos were the same color as the products. Green for green and pink for pink

post #74 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Just noticed the event invitation has a few silver (well, gray) rings amidst the filled colored dots.

Well spotted.

Every colored "dot" has a ring, actually. So there is a possibility that the white dot with the silver ring represents a white/silver phone. I must admit, however, that I like the implication of the Touch ID ring better.

post #75 of 79
Quote:

The "stolen directly" is the the point. A lot of these products are knock offs, designed to look like expensive brands, even if they aren't.

Apple had the right strategy: make a cheaper phone for Asia. But they had (er, will have) the wrong tactics. They should have made the iPhone 5C as visually indistinguishable as possible from the 5S, while still being cheaper. People are very aspirational and image conscious in Asia, they want to be seen to have the best. These ones are brightly, obviously, from across the room, the "cheap model."

Since Tim Cook is responsible for strategy, and his minions are responsible for tactics, Tim has not stuffed up here, but someone has.

Arguably, Apple has been implementing *your* tactics for some time now. While far from a failure, it hasn't led to a hockey stick growth curve.

post #76 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Hasn't that been the norm on every event day?
post #77 of 79
Well the German press is stiffly giving the iPhone Launch the finger of one kind or another. Any wonder iPhone has only ~17% adoption here in Germany?*

Original: Goldgrube Smartphone - Apple kassiert groß ab – mindestens 240 Euro Gewinn mit jedem verkauften iPhone 5

Translated by our "Don't Do Evil" nemesis: Goldmine Smartphone - Apple collects Big Time - at least 240 Euro profit with every sold iPhone 5

* Sorry... not really on topic.... but it burns me up none the less! 1devil.gif - Sharing The Rage!
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
post #78 of 79

Next time I think Apple must not make a public event at all. Just record a video presentation at the web homepage showing every new product and refresh the d*mn store and web site with all the new things. I think then we will be really surprised with all the new stuff.

All these crazy leaks are really a big turn down.

lvidal.-
lvidal.-
post #79 of 79

I see that iPhone 5C packaging and I think more that Apple will ditch the iPod Touch and substitute it with the 5C with a starting price of $299. Don't know if they are going to do it just today, but I'm pretty sure that the real plan.

The Touch is a product that every year makes less sense. It also have a very low resale. In fact, it is very difficult to resale. I have a 64GB and a 32GB my wife, both 4th Gen, and months have passed and we have been unable to sell them at a reasonable price, all the people say they prefer to buy an iPhone or an Android, and the very first reason they give is that it doesn't have 3G, not even that it isn't a phone. So, we prefer to keep them until they die because we could give them to our kids to play and as a music player for the house. I will not sell them at $100. It is a very lost investment. 

lvidal.-
lvidal.-
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Photo of alleged 'iPhone 5S' user guide reveals 'Touch ID sensor' home button
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Photo of alleged 'iPhone 5S' user guide reveals 'Touch ID sensor' home button