or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung accused of stealing product designs from appliance maker Dyson

Samsung accused of stealing product designs from appliance maker Dyson

post #1 of 75
Apple isn't the only major electronics maker to accuse Samsung of copying, as vacuum manufacturer Dyson has filed a new patent infringement suit against the South Korean company.

Samsung

Company founder Sir James Dyson spoke with the BBC, revealing that he feels he was "forced" to file the lawsuit in English High Court. Dyson said he would much rather his company invest in its own research to develop new technology.

Dyson's issue is with the new Motion Sync vacuum cleaner Samsung unveiled at IFA last week, as the British appliance maker believes it infringes on a patent related to a steering mechanism for cylinder cleaners.

"This looks like a cynical ripoff," Dyson said. "Samsung has many patent lawyers, so I find it hard not to believe that this is a deliberate or utterly reckless infringement of our patent."

Samsung responded by calling the claims from Dyson "groundless." The electronics maker has vowed to "take all necessary measures" to protect its products.

Samsung Phones
Apple illustration of Samsung phones pre- and post-iPhone. | Source: Apple trial brief

The comments from Dyson are somewhat similar to those made by Apple in 2011, when the iPhone maker filed its own patent infringement suit against Samsung. The legal battle between Apple and Samsung remains ongoing, with Apple insisting that Samsung has stolen the look and feel of the iPhone and iPad for its own mobile devices.

"Rather than innovate and develop its own technology and a unique Samsung style for its smart phone products and tablet computers, Samsung chose to copy Apple's technology, user interface and innovative style in these infringing products," Apple said in its original complaint.

Late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs took particular issue with Samsung, as well as Google's Android, feeling that the products were "stolen" from his own company.

"We can sit by and watch competitors steal our patented inventions, or we can do something about it. We've decided to do something about it," Jobs said in 2011. "We think competition is healthy, but competitors should create their own original technology, not steal ours."
post #2 of 75
Can't wait for next year revision with a bigger screen. /s
post #3 of 75

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Shut the company down entirely.

In before the Anti-Apple Brigade whines about the phone picture.

Originally Posted by BigMac2 View Post
Can't wait for next year revision with a bigger screen. /s

Bigger sucking head, you mean. Samsung will be the first vacuum manufacturer with a 20" sucking head.

And IGZO.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

post #4 of 75

Blatant, shameless, and getting to be the norm. Have they no conscience?

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

post #5 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

Blatant, shameless, and getting to be the norm. Have they no conscience?

How dare you say they have no shame? They have so much shame that they glorify it. Hence, shamesung.
post #6 of 75

This is their business model. Copy winners, release at a lower price, profit. 

What can be done about it? Not much.

post #7 of 75
Originally Posted by Avonord View Post
How dare you say they have no shame?

Indeed. They've copied their shame straight from companies that have it; it's flawless!

post #8 of 75
according to the article ... Samsung has tried to rip of Dyson before
post #9 of 75

Samsung actually has a head of design position.  In other companies, he's called the copy machine guy.

post #10 of 75
I am shocked, I tell you, shocked! The company of innovative integrity doing such a dastardly deed is beyond the fathom of belief. Well, a tiny part of a fathom anyway.1oyvey.gif

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

post #11 of 75

Ooohhooooooooooo! 

The best news before the Apple Event!

Have been happy since morning because of Apple event!

Now the happiness is tripled! :D  Love you Samsung! Keep Stealing, keep making us happy! 

post #12 of 75
Is anyone surprised?

C'mon, every knows Dyson's design is the convergence point. Dyson's is just monopolizing cylinder shapes.
post #13 of 75
Well that sucks!
"If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything" Robert Zemeckis/Bob Gale/Robert_E._Lee
"If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything" Robert Zemeckis/Bob Gale/Robert_E._Lee
post #14 of 75
Let's hope Dyson cleans up.
post #15 of 75
Stinken Samsung. I cannot stand Samsung! I have vowed to never buy any Samsung product, no matter what! They think that because they're in Korea, they can just take everyone's idea and they'll do nothing about it. First apple, now Dyson. Get your own stinken ideas Samsung.
post #16 of 75
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post
C'mon, every knows Dyson's design is the convergence point. Dyson's is just monopolizing cylinder shapes.

"How dare they try to patent rounded cylinders. Samsung is just giving them what they deserve! Samsung is the hero, saving all these industries from the tyranny of other companies!"

post #17 of 75

Fandroids are at this moment probably signing up to all of the biggest vacuum cleaner forums on the net.

They are going to claim that Dyson has never innovated, and that the Samsung rip off looks nothing like the Dyson. Whenever Samsung releases a new product that looks like or works like something else, it's only a pure coincidence and the natural evolution of things.

post #18 of 75
OMG...Again. Will someone please give Samsung some original ideas! SMH
post #19 of 75
an article headline about samsung stealing from dyson. with 132 words about samsung stealing from dyson. and 167 words about samsung stealing from apple. so, what was the article really about?
post #20 of 75
Personally, I think Samsung's alleged infringement on steering for cylinder cleaners is pretty twisted.
post #21 of 75
This pic of CopyCatSam is on par with any Rembrandt. As I told writer, I have a copy, actually two copies, in the most important little room in the house. I can view it standing or sitting performing some major thinking whilst evacuating bad karma. 1smoking.gif

post #22 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

an article headline about samsung stealing from dyson. with 132 words about samsung stealing from dyson. and 167 words about samsung stealing from apple. so, what was the article really about?
Samsung stealing.
post #23 of 75

Was going to say it looks pretty good, but only because if a Dyson and a black iPhone 5 went drinking together, this would be their lovechild.

post #24 of 75
Quote:

Um...Samsung stealing?
post #25 of 75
Quote:

It's about how Samsung has a history of stealing from damn near everybody.

Samsung = zero innovation, and no, releasing ever bigger screens does not qualify as innovating.

post #26 of 75
It shows just how little there is to talk about w.r.t. Apple, when you need to talk about an obscure patent suit involving a distant unit of a truly huge company like Samsung.
post #27 of 75

I'll keep buying Dyson, thanks Samsung. :)

post #28 of 75

Too bad Samsung doesn't make copy machines.  Oh wait, they do?  DAMN YOU SAMSUNG!!!

post #29 of 75
Before we all make any rash judgements I think we should wait for the dust to settle.
post #30 of 75
(Sorry - I'll stop now!)
post #31 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNosey View Post

Stinken Samsung. I cannot stand Samsung! I have vowed to never buy any Samsung product, no matter what! They think that because they're in Korea, they can just take everyone's idea and they'll do nothing about it. First apple, now Dyson. Get your own stinken ideas Samsung.

They did.  And the result was the Galaxy Gear. Barf.

post #32 of 75

Samsung recently hired Pranav Mistry to head there research division.

That's one sign, showing they are trying to get some innovation happen. This however we'll have to wait and see in there future products, if they'll end up having some of that Sixth Sense tech.

I think quite frankly the guys at Samsung are now prolly getting tired themselves of copying stuff.

Back in the early days when there was no Internet , they get around with stuff like this and the public never knew about it.

Today they are tarnishing there image (if they have any) , with every such incident.

In short ShameSung You Suck !!!

post #33 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceek74 View Post

Too bad Samsung doesn't make copy machines.  Oh wait, they do?  DAMN YOU SAMSUNG!!!

Probably copied from Xerox ;)

post #34 of 75

Samsung should be shut down. This corporate thief must be stopped!

post #35 of 75

Well, I'm sure Samsung is already gear up to file a FRAND patent law suit to against Dyson for making vacuum with brush !!

post #36 of 75
Ha. Remember when Samsung cloned an old BlackBerry... and called it the BlackJack? They don't even TRY to hide their habits!
post #37 of 75
Wow!! I that was a Dyson until I noticed the samsung name. By the time this is settled samsung will have made more money and the punishment will be negligible. They need to be fined billions before they change.

2010 15" MBP, iPhone 5 64GB, New iPad 64GB LTE, (2) ATV 2nd Gen

2010 15" MBP, iPhone 5 64GB, New iPad 64GB LTE, (2) ATV 2nd Gen

post #38 of 75
I'm surprised iRobot hasn't done the same with the Roomba:
http://www.samsung.com/ie/consumer/home-appliances/vacuum-cleaner/robot
post #39 of 75
Originally Posted by rcoleman1 View Post

That's the problem: every company already is. They're just not giving willingly.

Samsung. Stealing. :\:???:

post #40 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoleman1 View Post

If you give it to them, it will not be original!

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung accused of stealing product designs from appliance maker Dyson