or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Live Blog: Join us for Apple's iPhone 5S & 5C launch event from Cupertino

Live Blog: Join us for Apple's iPhone 5S & 5C launch event from Cupertino - Page 2

post #41 of 72
"Touch ID". Ok. I like that suitcase with the handcuffs
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
post #42 of 72

Fingerprint for buying from the various Apple Stores. That's the first step to adding it for all purchase places. NFC or online. 

This could be pretty important.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.

post #43 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Apple is going to get hit with an anti-trust suit SO frigging hard.

Not sure what that refers to...?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #44 of 72
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post
Not sure what that refers to...?

There will be a popup to download iLife and iWork in iOS 7. That, and them being free, hearkens back to Microsoft's bundling in the '90s.

post #45 of 72
No 128GB?
post #46 of 72

4S for free. That makes sense.

post #47 of 72
Will need to hop over to a neighboring country to get it; NL dates not revealed, sadly. Last year it took like 5 more weeks.
post #48 of 72
Quote:

There will be a popup to download iLife and iWork in iOS 7. That, and them being free, hearkens back to Microsoft's bundling in the '90s.

Since Android is "winning", Apple aren't exploiting a monopoly.

censored

censored

post #49 of 72
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Since Android is "winning", Apple aren't exploiting a monopoly.

Guess something good might come out of that, after all.

post #50 of 72
Not sold on the gold. But have to see all models in person.
post #51 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

That's not even a question.

Of course it's a question! The way it has been presented is that they come preloaded on new devices but that for existing devices you may still have to purchase them from the app store.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/09/10/apple-makes-iwork-iphoto-and-imovie-free-with-new-ios-devices
21.5" iMac i7 2012, iPod Touch 5, iPad 2, iPod nano 7, Mac Mini G4 2000
post #52 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbiter8 View Post

Of course it's a question! The way it has been presented is that they come preloaded on new devices but that for existing devices you may still have to purchase them from the app store.

Asked and answered then, I'd say.
post #53 of 72

That's wrong.

Note that GarageBand isn't free.

post #54 of 72
Maybe, it's not clear to me. There is one sentance in that article that suggests that they are only preloaded, but then there is another that suggests they will be free to current devices. It sure will be nice if they are just free at the app store!
post #55 of 72
Maybe, it's not clear to me. There is one sentance in that article that suggests that they are only preloaded, but then there is another that suggests they will be free to current devices. It sure will be nice if they are just free at the app store!

AI's not known for articles with internal or external consistency. Apple.com proves that thought wrong, end of story.

post #56 of 72
Well that is encouraging! Although that ad says for your iPhone 5's and I want it for my 5th gen iPod Touch, but that sure looks like it will be free for all the current iOS devices. Can't wait to try 'em out!
post #57 of 72
Thanks for posting that ad, I hadn't seen that.
post #58 of 72
Is it iPhone 5s then? As opposed to 5S, to match 4S and 3GS?

Seems a weird, arbitrary change.

censored

censored

post #59 of 72
Quote:

I took that to mean plural, like both iPhone 5s (5C & 5S)
post #60 of 72

Indeed. Their pages have it as such, but let's wait until this page is updated to see for certain. Perhaps it's just an error right now.

post #61 of 72

Definitely iPhone 5s

http://www.apple.com/iphone-5s/

censored

censored

post #62 of 72

And that does mean there's a bit of ambiguity about whether the iWork apps will be available for free for everyone, or just for those buying a new iPhone 5s.

censored

censored

post #63 of 72
Quote:
6 iPhoto, iMovie, Keynote, Pages, and Numbers are free on the App Store for qualifying iOS 7 compatible devices activated after September 1, 2013. See www.apple.com/ios/whats-new/for iOS 7 compatible devices. Downloading apps requires an Apple ID.

There we go.

Seems like it applies to both the 5c and 5s though, as the iWork apps and the footnote I've quoted above are on both pages:

http://www.apple.com/iphone-5c/built-in-apps/

http://www.apple.com/iphone-5s/built-in-apps/

censored

censored

post #64 of 72
I guess I will have to wait until they released the 6th gen iPod touch. Damn! I was hoping they would do that today, but maybe they are waiting for the iPad update event. I am really hoping for a 128GB iPod Touch!
post #65 of 72
Quote:

I am really hoping for a 128GB iPod Touch!

That's very understandable. Many also thought the iPhone would double its max capacity of the 5. I wonder if they'll keep the classic, and if so, if they'll upgrade that 160GB HDD.
post #66 of 72
Quote:

There we go.

Seems like it applies to both the 5c and 5s though, as the iWork apps and the footnote I've quoted above are on both pages:

http://www.apple.com/iphone-5c/built-in-apps/
http://www.apple.com/iphone-5s/built-in-apps/
Actually, if you scroll all the way to the bottom and read footnote #6, it had a link that is basically saying that it qualifies for any iOS 7 compatible device. So these will be available even for the iPad 2, iPad mini, iPhone4 and the 5th gen. iPod Touch. The only question is when thay say activated do they mean activating iOS7, and therefore any device that upgrades to iOS 7, or do they mean activated as in an initial purchase? My guess (or at least my hope) is that any device with iOS 7 will be able to download these for free.

From that footnote: iPhoto, iMovie, Keynote, Pages, and Numbers are free on the App Store for qualifying iOS 7 compatible devices activated after September 1, 2013. See www.apple.com/ios/whats-new/ for iOS 7 compatible devices. Downloading apps requires an Apple ID.
post #67 of 72
Quote:

Actually, if you scroll all the way to the bottom and read footnote #6, it had a link that is basically saying that it qualifies for any iOS 7 compatible device. So these will be available even for the iPad 2, iPad mini, iPhone4 and the 5th gen. iPod Touch. The only question is when thay say activated do they mean activating iOS7, and therefore any device that upgrades to iOS 7, or do they mean activated as in an initial purchase? My guess (or at least my hope) is that any device with iOS 7 will be able to download these for free.

From that footnote: iPhoto, iMovie, Keynote, Pages, and Numbers are free on the App Store for qualifying iOS 7 compatible devices activated after September 1, 2013. See www.apple.com/ios/whats-new/ for iOS 7 compatible devices. Downloading apps requires an Apple ID.

Check the keynote at 19'07'' Tim says any new iPhone, iPad or iPod touch 5th gen. Sounds like 1st time activation to me. Anyhoo, not really breaking the bank here, buying 5 apps.
post #68 of 72
Check the keynote at 19'07'' Tim says any new iPhone, iPad or iPod touch 5th gen. Sounds like 1st time activation to me.

What if we clean restore to iOS 7? :p

post #69 of 72
Good Point! That's also why I think it will be free for any iOS 7 device.
post #70 of 72
Quote:

No 128GB?

For sure - this is really disappointing. With all that CPU and GPU power there will be more and more apps working with lots of data (as if movies/music/photos don't already consume a lot). I don't want to have to move stuff on and off my phone so I have plenty of room to shoot video or download the latest multi-gigabyte app.
post #71 of 72
Quote:

I quoted the footnote.   The language is not explicit, but it is indicative, it talks about "qualifying" iOS7 devices, "activated after September 1".  That implies that there are iOS7 devices that don't qualify, and that if it was activated before September 1st then it is excluded.

So no, I think you're wrong, and that some or all of the iPad 2, iPad mini, iPhone 4 and the 5th gen iPod Touch will be excluded from the offer, unless Apple change their terms.

censored

censored

post #72 of 72
Quote:

What if we clean restore to iOS 7? 1tongue.gif

Technically they could limit it to HW serial #'s, and not limit it to the iOS7 software. Oh well, we'll know next Wednesday. Will we be able to download it from http://www.apple.com/au/ios/ to be 'the first in the world'?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Live Blog: Join us for Apple's iPhone 5S & 5C launch event from Cupertino
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Live Blog: Join us for Apple's iPhone 5S & 5C launch event from Cupertino