or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple unveils new iPhone 5c in green, blue, red, yellow & white starting at $99, launching Sept. 20

Apple unveils new iPhone 5c in green, blue, red, yellow & white starting at $99, launching Sept. 20

post #1 of 165
The new multi-colored iPhone 5c was made official by Apple on Tuesday, with the device packing a 4-inch Retina display, A6 processor, hard-coated polycarbonate body, and coming in five different flavors when it launches next Friday, Sept. 20.

iphone-5c-color-lineup.jpg

Apple's iPhone 5c will be available in green, blue, red, yellow and white. Its features are similar to the current iPhone 5, including an 8-megapixel iSight camera and black glass front.

"It's made with all the incredible technology of the iPhone 5," Phil Schiller said on stage while introducing the device.

A widely known secret

The 5c has been one of Apple's worst-kept secrets for months now, with rumors of a lower-cost iPhone emerging as early as January. The months before an Apple product unveiling are usually filled with leaks and supposition, but the iPhone 5c saw a very high number, with images of devices in testing and in operation hitting the Internet weeks before the its unveiling.

Schiller alluded to the continuous leaks in his introduction.

"A few of you might have seen some shots on the web," the Apple marketing chief said. "And that's cool, because everyone is really excited about this."

An iPhone 5, transplanted

iphone-5c-still1-20130910.jpg

Schiller made sure to press the point that the iPhone 5c is not a step down from the iPhone 5, even in terms of build quality. He boasted that the iPhone 5c design is a seamless case with no part lines or joints. Apple design chief Jony Ive sought to drive home the message that Apple's design aesthetic shines through despite the 5c being its first polycarbonate-backed offering since the iPhone 3GS.

"We took the same fanatical care of how the iPhone 5c feels in your hand," Ive explained in a video for the device.

Just as its premium material counterpart is machined from a single piece of aluminum, the iPhone 5c is cut from a single piece of polycarbonate, giving it its seamless look. Apple then inserts a steel frame into that unibody polycarbonate shell. That frame also acts as an antenna for the device.

Inside, the device is essentially an iPhone 5. It features the A6 processor that Apple packed into the iPhone 5, although it has a slightly larger battery than did that model. The iPhone 5c is also an LTE-capable device with Bluetooth 4.0 and 802.11n Wi-Fi connectivity. It will ship with Apple's soon-to-be-released iOS 7 mobile operating system

The company will also release a line of custom $29 cases for the iPhone 5C with holes cut out for the cameras and flash.

iphone-5c-cases-backs-20130910.jpg

The price is the thing

The iPhone 5C will be available in 16 gigabytes for $99 with a new two-year service contract. A high-end 32-gigabyte model will run $199 with a contract subsidy. Preorders will begin this Friday, Sept. 13.

The lower price point of the polycarbonate-backed device will help Apple carve out new territory in a rapidly maturing smartphone market and at the same time help it in developing markets such as China, where the current premium price point for an iPhone keeps Apple far behind some other competitors with cheaper devices.

iPhone 5 put out to pasture

iphone-5c-still2-20130910.jpg

The decision to roll out the iPhone 5c left Apple in a novel situation. Since 2010, the Cupertino company has, whenever introducing a new generation of iPhone, moved the previous generation to a lower pricing tier. Since 2011, there have been three pricing options for prospective iPhone buyers: a low-end model, the two-year-old model, typically available for free or for $50 on contract; the one-year-old model at $99 or so on contract; and the latest generation at a commensurate price point.

In introducing the 5c, though, Apple has both kept and broken with that tradition. The iPhone 5, with its premium build materials, has effectively been put out to pasture. The 5c, though, features the same internals as the iPhone 5, and will occupy that discontinued device's space in Apple's iPhone pricing tier.

In a continuation of the trend, though, the two-year-old iPhone 4S will still live on as a free-on-contract option. Apple will only offer one memory configuration for the device, an 8GB model.

As a minor point: along with the 5s, the iPhone 5c marks another departure from the norm for Apple. Previous "S-models" of the iPhone featured an uppercase letter modifier: iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4S. Now, the Cupertino company has broken from that trend as well, giving its new phones lowercase letter modifiers. Apple did not explain the decision during its media event.
post #2 of 165

So, to recap, 0/10 from iFixit, better(?) telephony chip, and slightly better FaceTime camera.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

post #3 of 165

"iPhone 5C is beautifully, unapologetically plastic."

I'll be the first to admit, I was really wrong on this!! Never thought they go plastic! 

post #4 of 165
Nobody cares about the "with contract" price, what's the REAL price. Phone looks good, but markets won't like the price ... Sounds like good margins, though.
post #5 of 165

That price is surprisingly high for a contract.  I was expecting $0 for the base model.  They may have increased the carrier profit so that the carriers may opt to do it for $0 but otherwise the C is not going to be a big hit.

post #6 of 165
Apple finally realizes that Samsungs business model was superior.

Cheap and PLASTIC. SAY IT AINT SO!

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

post #7 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

I'll be the first to admit, I was really wrong on this!! Never thought they go plastic! 

Well, polycarb is at least a higher grade plastic.  There are different grades of plastics just like there are different grades and types of metals.

They kind of have to use something inexpensive to aluminum for their lower cost products because cost is a factor, but at least they aren't using polycarb on their high end models like Scamscum.

post #8 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Apple finally realizes that Samsungs business model was superior.

Cheap and PLASTIC. SAY IT AINT SO!

For one model which is not their flagship.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

post #9 of 165

M7 should fit well with the iWatch :) 

post #10 of 165

YEAH!!  

new f2.2 aperture lens, 15% larger active sensor area
bigger pixels 1.5 micron pixels
post #11 of 165
Quote:

YEAH!!  

Not on the 5C, sorry.

post #12 of 165
Quote:

YEAH!!  

I think that's the 5s camera, was there a mention of the 5c camera being improved? I only saw the facetime camera being improved. 

Also- Slightly larger battery than the original 5... 

post #13 of 165

So how much are the 16 and 32GB off-contract?

LOL people should just enjoy whatever phone they prefer and stop being d-bags about other phones they don't use. Fanboys are pathetic, regardless of whether they are Android or Apple ones.
LOL people should just enjoy whatever phone they prefer and stop being d-bags about other phones they don't use. Fanboys are pathetic, regardless of whether they are Android or Apple ones.
post #14 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeltsBear View Post

Not on the 5C, sorry.

LOL Yes, sorry, forgot this was a 5c thread lol. Got too excited :) 

post #15 of 165
Looks like the cheap MacBook. The one that sucked ass.

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

post #16 of 165

No contract price is $549 for 5C .

5S is $649 which is reasonable. Bit disappointed about the high price of 5C, was hoping for something in low $400s.

Oh well, my kids will be disappointed.

post #17 of 165
Hmmm. Not my next iPhone.
post #18 of 165
It will take some time to get over this one...
post #19 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyRevell View Post

So how much are the 16 and 32GB off-contract?

Usually:
$199 on contact = $650 off contract
$99 on contact = $550 off contract

So base 5c is likely $550 before sales tax
post #20 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

No contract price is $549 for 5C .

5S is $649 which is reasonable. Bit disappointed about the high price of 5C, was hoping for something in low $400s.

Oh well, my kids will be disappointed.

These are official prices from apple store.

post #21 of 165
I want to know what the off-contract price is. The fact that they haven't said that means its probably much more expensive than people were hoping.
post #22 of 165

Normal tactics would have been to offer the "old" 5 for this price, which would have been a great deal, but now they keep the price and downgrade the offering from a 5 to a 5C

post #23 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1983 View Post

I want to know what the off-contract price is. The fact that they haven't said that means its probably much more expensive than people were hoping.

read post #20

post #24 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

Usually:
$199 on contact = $650 off contract
$99 on contact = $550 off contract

So base 5c is likely $550 before sales tax

So ... it gets cheaper if you touch it? Now that's the kind of Touch ID I like.

post #25 of 165

Wow, 5C (16GB) is €599, 5S (16GB) is €699. 5S is pretty normal, and there lot's to like about the update. But Apple needs to shave €100 off the 5C *fast*. Stock is falling fast, and for once I can actually see why :-(  ... who would buy the 5C, with all the 5S offers at only 100 more?

Edited by MattBookAir - 9/10/13 at 11:32am
post #26 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by mausz View Post

Normal tactics would have been to offer the "old" 5 for this price, which would have been a great deal, but now they keep the price and downgrade the offering from a 5 to a 5C

It's pretty much a 5 with a different skin. 

post #27 of 165
It's the same price as the iPhone 5 would have been with the launch of the 5S, 599 Euro/16GB and 699 Euro/32GB in Germany. Difference to the 5S is just 100 Euro respectively. So much for "cheap" iPhone.

Would've expected lower prices, honestly. Kinda disappointed.
post #28 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by mausz View Post

I fully agree with you. And those cases that they are selling. There is a word for it "Kitch"!

post #29 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBookAir View Post

Nobody cares about the "with contract" price, what's the REAL price. Phone looks good, but markets won't like the price ... Sounds like good margins, though.

Sorry, but the with contract (down payment) price is very important to most.

Few buy outright,  you then pay for most of it twice!

post #30 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshA View Post

That's true for the USA, not true for most of Europe, China and India.

post #31 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex101 View Post

It's the same price as the iPhone 5 would have been with the launch of the 5S, 599 Euro/16GB and 699 Euro/32GB in Germany. Difference to the 5S is just 100 Euro respectively. So much for "cheap" iPhone.

Would've expected lower prices, honestly. Kinda disappointed.

Looking like "C" is not for cheap. Have to say I'm pretty disappointed too. Why would anyone in their right mind not spring the extra $100 and get the way superior 5S model instead. I don't understand why anyone would purchase old 5 technology in a plastic case just to save $100.

post #32 of 165
I'm curious if the 5C is going to be exchange-priced overseas... or if it will turn up in certain markets around the world drastically reduced from the North American price.

I really can't imagine anyone going for this over the 5S or the 4S to tell ya the truth, and if your budget is tight, the 4S seems to be the better deal, regardless of specs.

I was against this phone when it was rumored. Not much has changed my mind if the price-strategy isn't flexible. This doesn't appease the "good-enough-for-the-price" crowd at all as it stands.

5S is a beast and will be sold out through November world-wide. I seriously doubt the numbers will look so "rosy" for the 5C... 1hmm.gif
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
post #33 of 165
Can't believe the price. Device is right in other respects, just too darn expensive IMO.

32gb 5C = 16gb 5s. Trade a 10-20$ (at cost) memory upgrade for better camera, A7+M7 chips 64bit,, fingerprint sensor, and a high quality aluminium case.

Hmmm. Can see the price of the C dropping before too long. Disappointed. Apple won't increase market share with this as a 4s replacement at this price. I like the 5s revisions a lot.
post #34 of 165

America gets the iPhone 5c for $99 (£63), we get it for £469 ($738). They have just made a lot of Brits their enemies now. Rip Off. This is an insult to Apple's British customers.

post #35 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex101 View Post

That's true for the USA, not true for most of Europe, China and India.

or t-mobile usa.

We have 4 smartphones, 4 on unlimited text/calling, 3 on 4G(2GB) and unlimited 2G afterwards (no data plan on 4th). We pay around $100/mo for the plan. We own all 4 phones.  I care about the off-contract price.

post #36 of 165
Quote:

Well since they started "plastic" and then went glass and metal I didn't rule it out.

post #37 of 165

Yeah price is too high for me. But was to be expected if they kept the 4S. The 4S is 399 EURO, the 5C costs 599 EURO, 5S 699 EURO. Was more hoping for 375, 499, 699 EURO.

post #38 of 165

"iPhone 5C is beautifully, unapologetically expensive."

post #39 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

It's pretty much a 5 with a different skin. 

So what was the point then? Why make a machine look cheap and charge the same old price? Surely the point about cheap plastic case was to signal cheapness. And where was the China mobile announment?

Apple have signalled here they don't care about share but margin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshA View Post

Outside of the US most buy off contract.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #40 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F. View Post

Yeah price is too high for me. But was to be expected if they kept the 4S. The 4S is 399 EURO, the 5C costs 599 EURO, 5S 699 EURO. Was more hoping for 375, 499, 699 EURO.

Great. But I already have a 4S. I wanted an off contract phone.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple unveils new iPhone 5c in green, blue, red, yellow & white starting at $99, launching Sept. 20
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple unveils new iPhone 5c in green, blue, red, yellow & white starting at $99, launching Sept. 20