or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple makes iWork, iPhoto and iMovie free with new iOS devices

Apple makes iWork, iPhoto and iMovie free with new iOS devices

post #1 of 47
Apple on Tuesday announced that customers purchasing a new iOS device will find that their iPhone, iPad or iPod touch comes pre-loaded with the company's iWork suite of productivity apps, as well as iPhoto and iMovie.

iwork-for-ios-20120910.jpg

The software, which includes iOS version of Pages, Numbers, Keynote, iPhoto and iMovie, will be come installed on new iOS devices. Apple CEO Tim Cook listed eligible products as current generation iPhones, iPads and the fifth-generation iPod touch.

Apple's offering is a departure from the current situation that sees users have to purchase the apps separately for download. The offer will tie in nicely with Apple's integrated iCloud support for Pages, Numbers and Keynote, all of which will be available to edit in the cloud sometime soon. A beta version of the Web client at iCloud.com recently went live to users of the service.

iCloud

With the new iPhone 5C and 5S just announced, it is expected that those devices will also come preloaded with the iWork suite, iPhoto and iMovie.

Offering the apps for free will result in a savings of about $40 for users who would have otherwise purchased them in the App Store.

Making iWork free with the purchase of a new iOS device and for current devices will almost certainly give Apple's productivity suite a considerable boost in market share. In doing so, Apple will be stepping onto the turf of productivity giants such as Microsoft and Google, taking on their respective Office and Google Drive suites.

Apple has apparently been preparing for just such a struggle. With the addition of iWork for iCloud, the productivity suite became effectively platform-agnostic, as it works on PCs running Google's Chrome browser, Apple's Safari, and Microsoft's Internet Explorer.
post #2 of 47

European anti-trust lawsuit… or no?

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #3 of 47
iWork online, iWork on all iOS devices: MS Office, pincer movement?

OS X and iOS user

OS X and iOS user

post #4 of 47

Why would there be an antitrust lawsuit? They are an optional download, and you are not forced to download them, and can download other apps. Also, if there were an antitrust lawsuit on the cards, surely it would be levelled against Apple for including, say, Stocks or Weather. And in the same way, Android, because you also get free apps there, too.

post #5 of 47
Originally Posted by darkpaw View Post
Why would there be an antitrust lawsuit? They are an optional download, and you are not forced to download them, and can download other apps.

The "pop-up in iOS 7", as well as them being free. It hearkens back to Microsoft's bundling in the '90s.

post #6 of 47
@ts: darkpaw is correct.

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

post #7 of 47

Come off it. It's one pop-up that can be dismissed easily, and does not ever appear again. This is not Microsoft from the 90s.

post #8 of 47
Originally Posted by darkpaw View Post
Come off it. It's one pop-up that can be dismissed easily, and does not ever appear again.

Still not convinced there won't be a suit.

post #9 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Quote:
Come off it. It's one pop-up that can be dismissed easily, and does not ever appear again.

Still not convinced there won't be a suit.

Lodged by who, Microsoft for unfair competition against Office? That would be funny.

Microsoft bundles Office on the Surface RT:

http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-gb/which-surface-is-right-for-you

so bundling iWork blows out that comparison point in their ad.
post #10 of 47
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Isn't that just a demo? If not, I rescind any thoughts of anti-trust; there's no way Apple could have that happen.

post #11 of 47
Something tells me they won't be preinstalled but just free in the store after the launch

And why no love for GarageBand

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #12 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Lodged by who,

Apple is hit by suits all the time. Doesn't mean they won't be tossed on day one but someone might be stupid enough to file one because they feel Apple should refund those that paid for these apps in the past.

post #13 of 47
Do I get a refund if I've already bought?

Where's the new Apple TV?

post #14 of 47
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post
Something tells me they won't be preinstalled but just free in the store after the launch

Apple.com, in fact.

And why no love for GarageBand 

Perhaps something to do with the music loops included vis a vis licensing?

post #15 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Do I get a refund if I've already bought?

What do you think?

post #16 of 47

As of right now, said apps are still not free on the App Store. Maybe that starts after September 18.

post #17 of 47
Any word how this will be reflected in the desktop versions?
post #18 of 47
What about the Mac???????????????????
post #19 of 47
I don't think it was mentioned that it will be free for current iOS devices. Only offered with new devices. That sucks assuming most of us might only upgrade one phone in the household.
post #20 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

What do you think?

Depends on what the class action lawsuit brings. lol.gif

post #21 of 47
Nobody is asking about iPhoto and iCloud. Does this mean we will be able to edit images via the iCloud version of iPhoto? Are online galleries making a comeback to Apple? I hope Apple addresses the incompatibility issues I get between files made by the desktop version of iWork and the cloud version. Does anyone else have this problem?
post #22 of 47

This is actually a very interesting move by Apple. I actually thought they'd keep charging for their iOS iWork apps and only offer the Mac-based and iCloud ones free (which I still expect). These apps provide 80% (minimum, probably more like 95%) functionality for people who need and use office suite software, and that is definitely not good news for office suite software providers like Microsoft, because if you can get the vast majority of your user base functional with essential apps that are free, why in the world would you pay for them? MS Office licenses are not cheap to companies, I would imagine this is a trend that will only continue and soon this functionality will be considered so basic that we will expect every OS to provide it as base functionality, like all the other apps they already provide every user.

post #23 of 47
Surely the MS suit only worked because of MS's monopoly with Windows. iOS doesn't have that.
post #24 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by sau124 View Post

I don't think it was mentioned that it will be free for current iOS devices. Only offered with new devices. That sucks assuming most of us might only upgrade one phone in the household.

Two questions:

1) Has this been confirmed either way?  Anyone?

I'd love to drop those apps on my current iPhone if they're available for free.

2) How much of the functionality of the latest versions of these apps is restricted if you don't use iCloud.  I have no interest in ever storing any kind of personal data in the cloud, but would appreciate the ability to use and edit spreadsheets and presentations created on my Mac and also editing photos directly on the iPhone with iPhoto.

No Matte == No Sale :-(
No Matte == No Sale :-(
post #25 of 47
Originally Posted by Blah64 View Post

2) How much of the functionality of the latest versions of these apps is restricted if you don't use iCloud.  I have no interest in ever storing any kind of personal data in the cloud, but would appreciate the ability to use and edit spreadsheets and presentations created on my Mac and also editing photos directly on the iPhone with iPhoto.

Zero percent.

post #26 of 47
Apple isn't bundling iWork, iPhoto, and iMovie with iOS. Apple is selling them for FREE.
post #27 of 47
Originally Posted by jameskatt2 View Post
Apple isn't bundling iWork, iPhoto, and iMovie with iOS. Apple is selling them for FREE.

To the iPhone 5S and 5C. No other devices are confirmed yet.

post #28 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskatt2 View Post

Today. Tomorrow I expect they'll do away with this silly restriction and just offer them to all iOS users.

post #29 of 47
Originally Posted by williamlondon View Post

Today. Tomorrow I expect they'll do away with this silly restriction and just offer them to all iOS users.

Why, when they stated "newly purchased devices" today?

post #30 of 47
Quote:

Why, when they stated "newly purchased devices" today?

"Tomorrow" does not mean tomorrow 11 September but rather "at some point in the future," ffs.<sigh>

post #31 of 47

"Tomorrow" does not mean tomorrow 11 September but rather "at some point in the future," ffs.<sigh>

And, "for fuсk's sake", my point stands. Why would they do that, when they've explicitly stated this will not be the case for devices activated after a certain date?!

Whoa, Huddler actually HAS a profanity filter now. The one time I actually quote one of those words…

post #32 of 47

It was never mentioned, specifically, 5S and 5C or new iPads or new iPods - they mentioned every new iOS devices that are purchased after a certain point.  I'm trying to figure out that if it is tied to the iTunes account or the specific device?  It is not going to help if I have say Keynote on the new iPhone but not my current iPad 4.  That would suck as I will not use it completely.  What do you think?

post #33 of 47
Quote:

And, "for fuсk's sake", my point stands. Why would they do that, when they've explicitly stated this will not be the case for devices activated after a certain date?!

Whoa, Huddler actually HAS a profanity filter now. The one time I actually quote one of those words…

Yes, because once you state something you can never ever change your mind or your decision, because everyone knows a policy today is a policy forever.

post #34 of 47

Yes, because once you state something you can never ever change your mind or your decision, because everyone knows a policy today is a policy forever.

Can ≠ will.

Originally Posted by sau124 View Post
I'm trying to figure out that if it is tied to the iTunes account or the specific device?

Obviously the account, but only accessible on said device. Once you've downloaded it for free on your newly purchased device, you may redownload it freely, as per anything from Apple, on any other device that uses the same account.

post #35 of 47

What, no new flat pastel icons for iWork yet? Get with the theme.

I only hope that the development in iWork doesn't stop at making it 64-bit, but addresses file compatibility with the Mac OS X versions.

Quote:

This is actually a very interesting move by Apple. I actually thought they'd keep charging for their iOS iWork apps and only offer the Mac-based and iCloud ones free (which I still expect). These apps provide 80% (minimum, probably more like 95%) functionality for people who need and use office suite software, and that is definitely not good news for office suite software providers like Microsoft, because if you can get the vast majority of your user base functional with essential apps that are free, why in the world would you pay for them? MS Office licenses are not cheap to companies, I would imagine this is a trend that will only continue and soon this functionality will be considered so basic that we will expect every OS to provide it as base functionality, like all the other apps they already provide every user.

I thought MS was free, but only to subscribers of the Desktop versions - but could be wrong. Which would make it either free if you have it, or a very very expensive option.

It may be a harder blow to Byte2, DataViz, Google's QuickOffice - but they do have better support for alternative cloud services, like DropBox, Google - iOS iWork only does WebDav.

post #36 of 47

Chill out everyone. It's free with new iOS devices (stated in the keynote), and for those wondering about iWork for OSX compatibility, I'm certain we'll hear about that in a month during Mavericks release. I wouldn't be surprised if it's free iWork for OSX w/ every new mac. I'd pay for the new ones to get full compatibility.

post #37 of 47
Quote:

Isn't that just a demo? If not, I rescind any thoughts of anti-trust; there's no way Apple could have that happen.

Nope. Full version of Office and included since day one.  RT retains a vestige of the old Win 7 desktop - mainly to host Office.  Not touch optimized so good luck with hitting the tiny targets.  Especially in a widely rumored 8" Surface.  (MS is dropping the "RT" branding with 8.1 - to try and avoid its stank, and their tabs are going to be just Surface (formerly RT) and Surface Pro (Intel Haswell with the full Win 7 DT)...

(Kind of amazing that MS doesn't have Win 8 versions of its own productivity programs - on their "OS of the future" after a year. Carts. Horses. Before.)

Also mildly surprised an übergeek of your stature didn't have this factoid at hand.  Guess you mostly focus on things Apple.  Oh well.  You're more educational than you're not 90% of the time.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

post #38 of 47

I wonder what effect this change will have on the development cycle for iWork and iLife apps, which has in the past been rather choppy (big release, loooong period of no change, big release etc).

I figure either or both of these effects could apply:

• Apple stops valuing iWork and iLife so much since it doesn't have a direct revenue stream.
  • Apple values iWork and iLife a lot more as it starts to be seen as a core part of iOS (and OS X, maybe).

Or maybe it won't have any effect at all.

Will be interesting to see if the pricing strategy for iWork and iLife on the Mac changes.  It almost seems like they have to go free too, to match the iOS and iCloud versions, but maybe Apple see it differently.

censored

censored

post #39 of 47
Hope it will become free for the iPhone 4S also. Hard to believe they still have that phone in their startup or lineup and choose to exclude it.
post #40 of 47
Free only for newly Purchased devices!!!! Not for older ones.
see http://www.apple.com/iphone-5s/built-in-apps/ down the page.
-
"iPhoto, iMovie, Keynote, Pages, and Numbers are free on the App Store for
qualifying iOS 7 compatible devices activated after September 1, 2013.
See www.apple.com/ios/whats-new/ for iOS 7 compatible devices...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple makes iWork, iPhoto and iMovie free with new iOS devices