or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple announces iPhone 5s: Touch ID fingerprint security, 64-bit A7 CPU, new gold option coming Sept. 20

Apple announces iPhone 5s: Touch ID fingerprint security, 64-bit A7 CPU, new gold option coming... - Page 4

post #121 of 273

Well, the 11n is ~40x faster than 11b, too. ;) 

Edited by ivan.rnn01 - 9/10/13 at 1:08pm

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

We mean Apple no harm.

post #122 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by rain View Post

The iPod... innovation.

The first iPhone... innovation.

The first iPad... innovation.

iPhone frame made of antenna array... innovation.

The new Mac Pro's... innovation.

As far as the competition in computer/mobile... don't care.

I'm an Apple guy, always have been. I'm just not part of the cult - indoctrinated to believe absolutely everything Apple does is pure genius, the absolute best possible choice, and the only 1 true innovator in the world. :rolleyes:

I'm just not going to call 'polish' or incremental updates... innovation. Sorry.

I'm also not going to call technology developed by other companies - purchased by Apple - as Apple Innovation.

For if I was to credit them - I would have to credit Microsoft for being one of the biggest innovators of all time when they were buying up tech companies like crazy in the 80-90's.

Of course, like movies it's always easy for critics to call a flop on the opening night and call it a masterpiece after a few years.

Beside the first iPhone, none of your example as shaken the world as innovating products when being announced. The iPod was seen as an overpriced Nomad MP3 player and the iPad like a big iPhone no good for content creation, no need to argue about the Antennagate.  

Like masterpiece only time can judge those things. 

post #123 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by netrox View Post

No, with 64-bit OS, it will be able to handle massive video files without having to split them. 

Perhaps, but why would anyone watch or edit "massive video files" on a telephone? The screen size makes video quality almost irrelevant.

post #124 of 273

This post is about the initial news release of the 5C & 5S (and all the associated tech stuff) without the lengthy quote:

Apple delivers some fine new products and the stock tanks > 10 bucks.  Guess they didn't offer a "teleportation option" (or some other mega-wow app).  Great isn't it?  What does Apple have to do to get Wall Street etc., to believe they are a great US company and here for the long term?

post #125 of 273

Nice performance bump, but I would have been happy with just a larger screen....  The 4" screen is just too small for my eyes....

post #126 of 273
Anyone know if the battery life is as abysmal as it is on the iPhone 5?
post #127 of 273

So the article about 64 bit was correct, but boy were they wrong about their claimed 31% speed improvement.

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

post #128 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Isn't iTunesMatch an all-or-nothing thing, with a 25k song limit? 

Good point. Only songs not available on the iTunes Store count towards storage. There is still the issue of use of one's data plan for streaming....

post #129 of 273

What is the actual price and not the subsidized price?

post #130 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

If you cannot see the merits of a 64bit throughout OS then you truly don't understand OS and App Development. If you think it's all about the RAM footprint then please just stop speculating.

The real reason these suckers don't have 8G/16GB is the same reason we don't have 256GB/512GB/1TB in a Workstation/Desktop/Laptop configuration.

The next revolution in memory density is nearly upon us and having your OS and Apps ready to leverage from the ground up when it happens instead of being caught with your pants down for years is something Apple learned during the creation of OS X.

In 3-6 months Samsung is going to be dumping onto the market 64-bit hackneyed APUs for their smartphones and every single Android fanatic will tout it up.

Meanwhile, the App base and n-tier of services will continue to evolve at Apple while it's been hard at work on the iPhone 6 for next year, no doubt incorporating any new memory density advances and much more.

Motion APIs, along with all the new APIs in iOS7 and OS X are going to be a huge selling point for Apple.

Datacenter expansion with more advanced cloud services will just expand the ecosystem.

No mention of AppleTV and contracts with content providers means we have a lot more to come.

Lots of good points here!

The potential of the little box we know as the AppleTV especially interests me. For one, 4K video is coming...

But more than that, I wonder if they put an A7 (or A7x) inside the ATV enclosure and added Thunderbolt 2, some additional SSD and RAM. These ATV-like "modules" could be combined into a server farm -- or even a video render-farm for the new Mac Pro. Apple has existing software to parcel out compute/graphics-intensive jobs to multiple Macs... I think the 64-bit A7 chip means that headless, low-power, inexpensive ARM boxes could be used instead of Intel boxes.
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #131 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkell31 View Post

Awesome, so it's much better than 2 and 3 year old phones...I would hope so.  If you arent making a better product after that amount of time there is a big problem.  Is it good enough to keep people from leaving Apple?  I guess we'll know in three weeks.

Is a slightly cheaper phone going to cut it?  Once again, people spending $550 probably arent going to shy away from $650 so is that going to increase sales?  Guess we'll know for sure in a couple weeks, but I would think not.

All in all Google is demoing Glass, Samsung is talking about a watch...I think people want to see what new product Apple is going to come out with.  Cook did promise new products all throughout 2014.  Lets see if that was just more rhetoric. 

While the rest of the industry loose focus and waver in all possible direction, Apple improves on what's already a lot more advanced than the rest, and takes it miles apart even beyond what the others can fathom. It's what Steve mentioned. Laser Focus !

post #132 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by sranger View Post

Nice performance bump, but I would have been happy with just a larger screen....  The 4" screen is just too small for my eyes....

I'd say get an LTE iPad mini: with that screen size it's great on the eyes and without the voice contract it's also easier on the wallet.

post #133 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

If the phone has less than 4GB RAM (probably) the 64bit is largely useless, especially for the average consumer. A nice surprise though. Outpacing the ARMv8's to the market. 

This isn't true at all! Addressing cleanly large amounts of RAM is of course one thing a 64 bit processor does well but there is more to computing than RAM. Some software (not all by any means) can really take advantage of those 64 bit registers to enhance performance. So in some cases 64 bit means better performance at lower power levels than adding more cores. Beyond that simply extending data paths in the processor so that communications with GPUs and other devices is enhanced can be seen as performance booster. Do this all in 64 bit land and you minimize circuit complexity.

The interesting thing here is that we will see a round of software improvements that will likely make software (apps) faster on the iPhone S over the following year. 64 bit simply gives developer more room to improve things.

You do bring up an interesting question though, will these phones come with more RAM. Frankly it is a big shortcoming in the iPad though I don't feel that limitation as much in the iPhone. Speaking of iPad, I can't wait! I use my iPad far more than my iPhone and if this chip does what is implied it will be a very significant upgrade over my current iPad.
post #134 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

That is the only (slight) disappointment for me.

I was really hoping to be able to get in more of my music in there.

Said earlier -- it'll come later this year, I'd bet at the iPad event or just after. 

post #135 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoeinla View Post

Said earlier -- it'll come later this year, I'd bet at the iPad event or just after. 

That's possible, but I don't wish to wait that long....

post #136 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

What is the actual price and not the subsidized price?

$549 - $849 (the model-specific numbers are on the Apple Store).

post #137 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

Anyone know if the battery life is as abysmal as it is on the iPhone 5?

How many smartphones have substantially longer battery life that are not significantly fatter?

post #138 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

So the article about 64 bit was correct, but boy were they wrong about their claimed 31% speed improvement.

I was half expecting 64 bit though I'm somewhat surprised that they got 2x performance improvements again. If you look at the pace Apple has been on here it is rather impressive. The real question is this, is that an all around 2X improvement or is there a lot of variability in the improvement.

Considering the low clock rates of Apples previous chips I suspect that they have plenty of head room when it comes to operating frequency. So maybe with all the combined improvements hitting 2X wasn't that hard this time. How long they can keep that up is a different question.
post #139 of 273
And these fingerprints....they're automatically uploaded to the NSA?
...or worse, to China.
post #140 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Now if only iLife was 64-bit.

Didn't one of the feeds have something about apps being reworked for 64 bit? If they haven't been they will be soon. By the way this was Apple supplied apps.
post #141 of 273
I know Apple doesn't move to my schedule but there were some glaring things missing from this launch. Where is the iPad mini retina? Where is the China Mobile deal? Where is the iPad 5? What gives?
post #142 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

I realize you just learned the word innovation and are trying to find its appropriate use by using it for every other word, but could you keep it down a little? The adults are trying to talk. Thanks.

Apple innovates to stay innovated by innovating their innovatingly innovations and is the most innovatedinginlyest innovator.

Time for innovacation!

I done learned it mo better.
post #143 of 273
They could have named this the iPhone 6, there are so much difference internally, Samsung would jump 2 numbers, who by the way must be sh*tting their pants for the rest of the week? Samsung's next galaxy phone is months away, but I don't think it's enough time to catch up.
post #144 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by faZZter View Post

The main missing new feature for me is the fact that it has the same tiny screen. Why can't they make it in a 4.8"-5"?! Oh well, maybe next year.....

Just go big and get an LTE iPad mini. Solves that screen area problem once and for all. Cheaper service as well.

Too big and is not a phone, but I am waiting to see if retina mini comes out and will compare to Nexus 7 (2013). Would like a new tablet this year.

post #145 of 273

No one can deny the 64 bits system is a huge leap forward and the true sign of innovation.

The greatest excitement about that, however, overwhelms a developer on the day when he decides to recompile the application, feels ready and... finds out his library supplier is actually not. :lol:     

We mean Apple no harm.

We mean Apple no harm.

post #146 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I'm going to assume Apple was having too many scuffing issues with the slate mode and decided to replace it with something that doesn't scuff as easily.

It's possible. I was curious why Apple didn't hard anodize the back plates in iPhone 5 (or at least, it doesn't seem like they have). Perhaps this is what they are doing this time. Hard anodizing changes the color. Also, it is tricky to get a super consistent hue when hard anodizing. So I am not sure 100% sure.

post #147 of 273
Quote:

Since no one seems to see it I'll mention it:

The first embedded OS [iOS] that is 64 bit, throughout to match up with OS X.

Hadn't really thought of it that way...

But yeah...

Add to that the fact that the 2 OSes share many common APIs, and some creative packaging (instead of fat binaries) -- you could run many iOS apps on the OSX desktop by installing only the code required for the underlying architecture...

The implementation of the touch UI in the iOS Simulator is pretty good -- and they could become a OSX system capability... In fact, some Mavericks apps already do this -- OSX Maps, for one!
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #148 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdinkins View Post

I know Apple doesn't move to my schedule but there were some glaring things missing from this launch. Where is the iPad mini retina? Where is the China Mobile deal? Where is the iPad 5? What gives?

"I know Apple doesn't move to my schedule"

Truer words have never been written :)

post #149 of 273
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post
Didn't one of the feeds have something about apps being reworked for 64 bit? If they haven't been they will be soon. By the way this was Apple supplied apps.

Yes, but that was for iOS apps and speaking generically about all of them and none specific. I'm talking about iLife on OS X. 

Note also that GarageBand is exempt from the "free" thing.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
post #150 of 273
Another big deal is the free iWork and iLife on new iOS devices. I suspect that the same will happen for iCloud and Macs.

In other words, anyone buying an Apple device will get an office suite that will satisfy the needs of some large percent of users.

Apple needs to enhance and support these products better than they have in the past. It appears that Apple understands this.
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #151 of 273
Quote:

Since no one seems to see it I'll mention it:

The first embedded OS [iOS] that is 64 bit, throughout to match up with OS X.

It is not the first 64-bit embedded OS. Wind Rivers released the 64-bit version of VxWorks a few years ago.

But I agree with you that this is a big deal, particularly since they squeezed it into the same form factor and are providing the same battery life. As I wrote elsewhere, this might be the most understated jump in the kernel of a widely used OS in the history of computing.

post #152 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Hadn't really thought of it that way...

But yeah...

Add to that the fact that the 2 OSes share many common APIs, and some creative packaging (instead of fat binaries) -- you could run many iOS apps on the OSX desktop by installing only the code required for the underlying architecture...

The implementation of the touch UI in the iOS Simulator is pretty good -- and they could become a OSX system capability... In fact, some Mavericks apps already do this -- OSX Maps, for one!
its still ARM right?
post #153 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

No doubt, and like the desktop world 64 bit will be the future. But there's still inherent differences in the move that made 64bit critical in the CISC/Intel x86 world that mean less in the RISC/ARM world. IMO it would have more scalability potential to the iPad going forward and the on/off-rumored A-Series powered Macbook Airs than the iPhone.

Of course it would have more value in the iPad, but you don't want one part of your platform gimped just because 64 bit isn't as useful there. Beyond that you have to look towards the future, I fully expect to see Apple debut an iPhone one day that can be docked in such a way that it transforms into your desktop computer solution. The hardware to do this isn't far away at all, you need very high density RAM which is coming and a way to drive a desktop monitor (Thunderbolt maybe). The rest can be done wirelessly.

As to a Mac Book AIR power by this chip, oh boy! 😱😍😱😃😍😱. It would very much depend upon the final configuration but I could see myself salivating over such a machine. This especially the case if Apple focuses on all day or better battery life. It would need to run Mac OS though and give me the same freedom of access to the OS.

In any event A7 impresses me. We haven't seen independent tests yet but Apple has been pretty close with previous improvement estimates. So right now I will take their word for it. This will be most impressive in the iPad though and that will likely be the first place I will be using one of Apples new super chips. As I've said before this sets Apple up to be at the fore front of personal device development. They now have a 64 bit chip suitable for cell phones, no one else can really claim that at this point.

In any event don't be dismissive of the accomplishment here. It is a certainty that 64 bit will be more useful in iPad apps, but this puts Apple on course for the next decade of iOS devices.
post #154 of 273

Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

How many smartphones have substantially longer battery life that are not significantly fatter?

I had to get a 5 when my 4 broke....I wish I had my 4 back.

post #155 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdinkins View Post

It was a phone launch. More to come. Cook's on record as regretting the big product dump last Fall. China Mobile is big enough to warrant it's own announcement: it's 10X DoCommo (?) after all....

post #156 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Lots of good points here!

The potential of the little box we know as the AppleTV especially interests me. For one, 4K video is coming...

But more than that, I wonder if they put an A7 (or A7x) inside the ATV enclosure and added Thunderbolt 2, some additional SSD and RAM. These ATV-like "modules" could be combined into a server farm -- or even a video render-farm for the new Mac Pro. Apple has existing software to parcel out compute/graphics-intensive jobs to multiple Macs... I think the 64-bit A7 chip means that headless, low-power, inexpensive ARM boxes could be used instead of Intel boxes.

I think a lot of people would be willing to pony up $199 for the A7 based AppleTV with a 32GB storage with TB2, HDMI 2.0, USB3.0 running the entire AppStore with 64 bit Games that can be shared across OS X and leverage perhaps any OS X box GPGPU for processing scenes and more.

Outside Of the Box:

Make the box a break even venture and then up-sell the controller and few add-ons to break into the market even more.

Even charging $299 to come with a 64GB storage option while streaming textures from a USB 3.0 128GB Thumb Drive accessory or a NAS connected via the TB2 would be a really disruptive ecosystem third-party market opportunity.

It would require Game Developers to include deals with Thumb drive manufacturers to offer add-on library packs via cloud servers or direct thumb sticks that could either be kept on the stick or copied to your local NAS/Mac, what have you that can be accessible as an available resource for the GPGPU to source.

There are all kinds of ways vendors can see the Apple TV as a killer box for both Video/Audio Entertainment, Gaming, Business presentations, etc.

post #157 of 273
Quote:

Learn to take care of your wants.

post #158 of 273
Quote:

The 4/4s is sure pretty but the LTE speed of the 5 is something I wouldn't trade for pretty. Though mileage varies which is why they're retaining the 4s I expect. Damn good looking phone.

Given the 5's resale value you could probably do a deal with the free 4s in a  couple months when your contract hits that point?

post #159 of 273
Quote:

It is not the first 64-bit embedded OS. Wind Rivers released the 64-bit version of VxWorks a few years ago.

But I agree with you that this is a big deal, particularly since they squeezed it into the same form factor and are providing the same battery life. As I wrote elsewhere, this might be the most understated jump in the kernel of a widely used OS in the history of computing.

And it does what again? Not to forget I tied in the 64 Bit OS that works directly with it's parent OS. What again did Wind Rivers do with that 64 bit embedded OS that ties in with say Linux? Windows? Solaris? etc?

post #160 of 273
Quote:

Well I'm not sure I'd go that far but this is huge, they are effectively the first to market with a 64 bit ARM solution in a hand held pocketable cell phone. As you note with full OS support and the same battery life.

I'm not a big iPhone user but this should be significant for the iPad. However the iPad really needs more RAM, lots more actually. I'm excited about the possibilities.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple announces iPhone 5s: Touch ID fingerprint security, 64-bit A7 CPU, new gold option coming Sept. 20
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple announces iPhone 5s: Touch ID fingerprint security, 64-bit A7 CPU, new gold option coming Sept. 20