or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple announces iPhone 5s: Touch ID fingerprint security, 64-bit A7 CPU, new gold option coming Sept. 20

Apple announces iPhone 5s: Touch ID fingerprint security, 64-bit A7 CPU, new gold option coming... - Page 6

post #201 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I guess you read the two posts just before yours. 1hmm.gif

Which ones are you talking about?  I usually read the post that I'm replying to and only scan others, but sometimes I post something and there might be other posts that haven't gotten to me.  So, if i reply to something, there might a few other posts that I couldn't read before submitting mine.

post #202 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Which ones are you talking about?  I usually read the post that I'm replying to and only scan others, but sometimes I post something and there might be other posts that haven't gotten to me.  So, if i reply to something, there might a few other posts that I couldn't read before submitting mine.

Not that it really matters, but if you look at your post you can't miss mine. It's just above yours.
Edited by Gatorguy - 9/11/13 at 10:50am
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #203 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by TranceXplant View Post

why would anyone watch or edit "massive video files" on a telephone?

It's fun to edit, and then AirPlay to the big screen.
Quote:

Who knows what the proper clock speed is for the Apple A7 chips, they are the ones that designed it and they clock the chips at what works best from two perspectives.

Dual core 1.7. Don't know (or care) about the co-processor.
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

But, but, but, but...... Samsung Galaxy has a bigger screen!!!
and the Microsoft Surface has a kickstand.

That's because the Surface needs all the support it can get.
post #204 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodfellow View Post

On a device with so little RAM, it's not like 64-addressing will be used anytime soon.

On a device that largely needs to avoid doing lots of processing, having a 64 bit processor means more wattage is needed to do the same basic tasks. Apple should have worked on specializing power-hungry tasks rather than upgrade to 64 bits.

It's an initial step into a future that will require such needs?

post #205 of 273

And where did you get the specs of the A7 if Apple hasn't released those specs?

post #206 of 273
I wonder why they haven't adapted Wireless AC. Also, I guess they've decided against adapting NFC. Besides these two minor things, I was very surprised by the 64-bit A-7, 64-bit kernel, and M-7 chip.
post #207 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Really, nobody cares what you think, especially Apple.

I don't appreciate your snark.

I defend Apple on this forum plenty and have a right to my opinion. I didn't troll and predict a failure, I just said I wasn't particularly impressed with the pricing.
post #208 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post
I didn't troll and predict a failure, I just said I wasn't particularly impressed with the pricing.

Yeah I agree.
Everyone at my work laughed about it, joking that the iPhone 5c is more expensive than the S4 (which can be found outright for $400 AU) 
Then they howled over the 5S pricing, this is one of those things, I can defend a lot, I can't defend the pricing. 

post #209 of 273
Originally Posted by Zozman View Post

I can defend a lot, I can't defend the pricing. 

You can buy two Fort Taurus for the price of one Tesla S. But no one wants a Taurus.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

post #210 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You can buy two Fort Taurus for the price of one Tesla S. But no one wants a Taurus.

Not sure what to say.

post #211 of 273

Not sure what to say.

All the reviews and ratings for the Tesla S speak anything you would have otherwise. Apple doesn't give a frick about idiots too stupid to not pay enough to get quality.

post #212 of 273

Quote:

All the reviews and ratings for the Tesla S speak anything you would have otherwise. Apple doesn't give a frick about idiots too stupid to not pay enough to get quality.

post #213 of 273

So either shut up and explain where I'm wrong or deal with the fact that you are.

post #214 of 273
Quote:

So either shut up and explain where I'm wrong or deal with the fact that you are.

Not for nothing, you only talk so hard because you are on the internet, that's a fact, anywhere else I can tell you, you wouldn't be, you have no respect & you won't get any from me.

Apparently you can try to defend the pricing, I say Try.

This isn't a brag at all, I make quite a bit of money from what I do for work, a high tax bracket, I spent lots on tech, more than anyone I know (this isn't a good thing, people see it as a sickness).

Many of my tech purchases are Apple products, I defend Apple to my friends & to my co-workers.

This isn't my view but the tech world (broadly speaking) The Samsung Galaxy S4 & the HTC One are flagship phones. compared to the iPhone, by many reviewers they are considered better than the iPhone 5 (i'm not saying I agree with them) but none the less, the line has been marked, features & benchmarks & all other crap, the build quality of the HTC One is similar to the iPhone 5, which is to say that it is very good, yet the iPhone is $500 more than the HTC One, tell me, how would you explain without personal bias, how is the iPhone worth more than the S4 or HTC One?, seriously? i have my view, i have my preference, i  have my standards, but does everyone share them?, the truth is, No.
The analogy of the Tesla S doesn't fly here, we are talking about 3 very popular phones, the iPhone & the HTC One, similar in quality & both are a uni-body aluminium & the S4 feels cheap, software you can argue which you prefer & why, its all subjective, I prefer iOS, your neighbors dog might prefer android, that's up to him.

So if you compared 2 cars of similar features, build quality in the same class & both are very popular & one of them is twice the price, then it would be closer to how things are. 
After all that, its simple, i know the margin is one way apple makes its money, but the price is high, I can afford it, but can i justify it, No. 

post #215 of 273
Quote:

Not for nothing, you only talk so hard because you are on the internet, that's a fact, anywhere else I can tell you, you wouldn't be, you have no respect & you won't get any from me.

Apparently you can try to defend the pricing, I say Try.

This isn't a brag at all, I make quite a bit of money from what I do for work, a high tax bracket, I spent lots on tech, more than anyone I know (this isn't a good thing, people see it as a sickness).

Many of my tech purchases are Apple products, I defend Apple to my friends & to my co-workers.

This isn't my view but the tech world (broadly speaking) The Samsung Galaxy S4 & the HTC One are flagship phones. compared to the iPhone, by many reviewers they are considered better than the iPhone 5 (i'm not saying I agree with them) but none the less, the line has been marked, features & benchmarks & all other crap, the build quality of the HTC One is similar to the iPhone 5, which is to say that it is very good, yet the iPhone is $500 more than the HTC One, tell me, how would you explain without personal bias, how is the iPhone worth more than the S4 or HTC One?, seriously? i have my view, i have my preference, i  have my standards, but does everyone share them?, the truth is, No.
The analogy of the Tesla S doesn't fly here, we are talking about 3 very popular phones, the iPhone & the HTC One, similar in quality & both are a uni-body aluminium & the S4 feels cheap, software you can argue which you prefer & why, its all subjective, I prefer iOS, your neighbors dog might prefer android, that's up to him.

So if you compared 2 cars of similar features, build quality in the same class & both are very popular & one of them is twice the price, then it would be closer to how things are. 
After all that, its simple, i know the margin is one way apple makes its money, but the price is high, I can afford it, but can i justify it, No. 

The HTC One is a 32 Bit processor, it's more comparable with regards to the guts inside to the 5c, not the 5s.  So the HTC One is like a 5c on the inside but the outside of a 5s.  I don't know how well the camera compares until we see side by side comparisons between them, but since Google hasn't announced a 64 bit version of Android, the Android phones will only go so far in what OS they'll run.  The 5s has some legs on it, so to speak. Knowing how Apple does their OS for the desktop, it was loading whichever version that hardware supported until they complete the transition to 64 bit, which in Apple's case will take about 3 years until all of their mobile devices are 64 bit.  Obviously, it's going to be a LONG time until the Android mfg can spit out $300 or less 64 bit processors, so the ultra low end market is going to be 32 bit probably for the next 5 to 7 years or so with Android until they competely get rid of 32 bit processors, then it takes another 2 years to get the users off of the product they bought.  With Apple, it's basically about 3 years to get a full line of 64 bit, and then another 2 to get the users off of 32 bit, but in the mean time, I'm sure the OS will just load whichever version your device needs and the same goes with the apps.  Apple can run both 32 and 64 bit on a 64 bit OS, which they do on OS X.

I wouldn't compare the HTC One with a 5s, it more of a upscale 5c for the price of a 5s.  Seriously, two different class of processors. 

post #216 of 273
Quote:
I wouldn't compare the HTC One with a 5s, it more of a upscale 5c for the price of a 5s.  Seriously, two different class of processors. 

I get what you're saying.

The way I see it, the move to 64bit processors is an investment in the future, the pay off for Apple, this isn't as big as it will be, Apple is ahead of the curve, Android isn't really doing quadcore properly now, so when phones are pushing even higher specs, apple will just keep on moving, that's when Google will realize they need to recompile everything & play catch up again (moving to 64Bit), this sort of forward planning isn't really being noticed by the typical buyer? is it?.

post #217 of 273
Quote:

Yeah I agree.

Everyone at my work laughed about it, joking that the iPhone 5c is more expensive than the S4 (which can be found outright for $400 AU) 

Then they howled over the 5S pricing, this is one of those things, I can defend a lot, I can't defend the pricing. 

What's the value difference between the AU dollar, the USD, and Korean currency? International pricing is tricky.

My guess is that Asian companies have an advantage selling to Oceania area.
post #218 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodfellow View Post

On a device with so little RAM, it's not like 64-addressing will be used anytime soon.

On a device that largely needs to avoid doing lots of processing, having a 64 bit processor means more wattage is needed to do the same basic tasks. Apple should have worked on specializing power-hungry tasks rather than upgrade to 64 bits.

Save this post for the Samsung S5 with 64-bit hardware running 32-bit OS.  Also, what makes you think they haven't been working on specializing on power-hungry tasks....  Like adding the M7?  

post #219 of 273

Not for nothing, you only talk so hard because you are on the internet, that's a fact, anywhere else I can tell you, you wouldn't be, you have no respect & you won't get any from me. Apparently you can try to defend the pricing, I say Try. This isn't a brag at all, I make quite a bit of money from what I do for work, a high tax bracket, I spent lots on tech, more than anyone I know (this isn't a good thing, people see it as a sickness). Many of my tech purchases are Apple products, I defend Apple to my friends & to my co-workers. This isn't my view but the tech world (broadly speaking) The Samsung Galaxy S4 & the HTC One are flagship phones. compared to the iPhone, by many reviewers they are considered better than the iPhone 5 (i'm not saying I agree with them) but none the less, the line has been marked, features & benchmarks & all other crap, the build quality of the HTC One is similar to the iPhone 5, which is to say that it is very good, yet the iPhone is $500 more than the HTC One, tell me, how would you explain without personal bias, how is the iPhone worth more than the S4 or HTC One?, seriously? i have my view, i have my preference, i  have my standards, but does everyone share them?, the truth is, No. The analogy of the Tesla S doesn't fly here, we are talking about 3 very popular phones, the iPhone & the HTC One, similar in quality & both are a uni-body aluminum & the S4 feels cheap, software you can argue which you prefer & why, its all subjective, I prefer iOS, your neighbors dog might prefer android, that's up to him.

Except that isn't the case, in any respect, at all.

post #220 of 273
Quote:

Bingo!

...for now anyway until the next class of competitor phones are released.

But I think that's what Apple's strategy is...to help the masses see that many of the flagship competitor phones should be more aptly compared with the 5c.  That leaves the 5s as the more coveted device (and at the appropriate profit margin).  :-)

post #221 of 273
Quote:

Except that isn't the case, in any respect, at all.

Zing!?....Wait, No, I was right, my point still stands.

Anyone else that says stupid things & gets proven wrong would just be quiet & go away, You never do, you are wrong so so often, can't see it, you just keep on digging, A lame analogy & a clip, did not prove your 'Point'? I i think you had a point?, nah maybe you didn't, who knows.
Quit being so stubborn & close minded, for the good of your own life, you aren't changing peoples mind on any topic, who wants to be known by an entire community (yes online) as the "Douchebag", you probably already know it, that guy 'here' is you, you pick, on people that don't have the energy to argue back (even when they are right), that's not me ;) i'll shoot you down every time for the dump shit you say, it's like a community service. 
I don't doubt i'll get another weak reply, go for it, It doesn't bother me in the slightest. 

PS, the iPhone 5s is still too expensive ;) The 5c that is made of cheaper materials, is the same price as the 5 was for the most part the same specs.
I'll get the iPhone 6, The 5s isn't compelling enough to spend $1129 outright.

Edited by Zozman - 9/12/13 at 3:54pm
post #222 of 273
Quote:

PS, the iPhone 5s is still too expensive ;) The 5c that is made of cheaper materials, is the same price as the 5 was for the most part the same specs.
I'll get the iPhone 6, The 5s isn't compelling enough to spend $1129 outright.

While I can't argue with your zingers towards TS...I don't agree with your assessment on price.  But you're open to your opinion.  Time will tell.  Just know that the consuming public isn't as particular or discriminating as you are.

BTW, I think (on contract anyway) the 5c is less than the 5,  no?

post #223 of 273

Zing!?....Wait, No, I was right, my point still stands.

I wasn't aware you needed it spelled out. The iPhone is not similar to any other phone, does not have similar features, does not have a similar build quality, and therefore cannot be compared directly to anything and stated "this is twice the price".

post #224 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

What's the value difference between the AU dollar, the USD, and Korean currency? International pricing is tricky.

My guess is that Asian companies have an advantage selling to Oceania area.

Yeah, its tricky for sure.
the AUD is on par with the USD, we pay up to 50% more from products, we get the Australia Tax, its the privilege of being in an amazing country, but that doesn't make you feel better when something they sell in the US gets jacked up a stack just for where you are from.
For example, in the US people can get a new PS3 game for $60, in Australia, RRP is $99, if we are lucky it goes on sale for $80, this adds up.
when things aren't region coded, we just import stuff ourselves, after shipping, we still save money.
This includes apple products, yeah our country is in great shape (compared to most places) economy wise, we are taxed heaps.
So Australia, is a grand place, just costs extra for most things. 

post #225 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewys808 View Post

Bingo!

...for now anyway until the next class of competitor phones are released.

But I think that's what Apple's strategy is...to help the masses see that many of the flagship competitor phones should be more aptly compared with the 5c.  That leaves the 5s as the more coveted device (and at the appropriate profit margin).  :-)

THey have the same margin, it's just since it's a less costly phone, they make less money.   Trust me, they both probably have similar margins, it's just that 5c is a lot cheaper to make, but they make less per model, but at the same margin.  

But Apple just upped the processor class of the top end model. All Apple needs to do is spit out a larger screen model, and then if they can do that before Android kicks out large screen 64 bit processors, BINGO.  Tons of marketshare right back to Apple, especially with several more large carriers.

I think these journalist and market research companies should separate out different price ranges and THEN look at the market share.  Apple will have decent market share of the high end priced products, the medium priced products, and none in the low priced products.

$650+  Apple might have more like 40 to 50%  (Guessing)

$500 to $650  Apple might have more like 40 to 50% (Guessing)

$400 to $500 Apple might have more like 40 to 50%  (Guessing)

Less than $400 Apple will probably have 0% since they've not made an unlocked phone for that little, those cheap phones will go to Scamscum, and a bunch of other no name brands.which makes up about 40% of the entire smartphone market.

I know my percentages are just guesses, but I think they are more realistic and accurate way of reporting the market.  The $400 and less phones don't make hardly any money, especially when you get to the $150 and less models, those probably lose money.

Edited by drblank - 9/12/13 at 7:33pm
post #226 of 273
Quote:

I wasn't aware you needed it spelled out. The iPhone is not similar to any other phone, does not have similar features, does not have a similar build quality, and therefore cannot be compared directly to anything and stated "this is twice the price".

No, Again, still wrong.

People looking at the world through Apple tinted glasses can't be expected to have perspective, you sir, have no perspective.
Go somewhere non-apple centric, see what they say?, Passing your opinions off as fact is vanilla flavored silly. 
It's not popular to have an opinion that goes against some of Apples decisions, just because they aren't popular, doesn't make them less valid. 
it's an uphill battle trying to educate some people, Sometimes I don't know why I bother, its all very logical & is clear as day, if you have the mind frame to see through the tint. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewys808 View Post
BTW, I think (on contract anyway) the 5c is less than the 5,  no?

Not sure yet, they haven't released pricing, here its pretty typical for people to buy phones outright then go to the carrier that they choose.

My iPhone 5 is still on contract & i have a GS4 i bought outright, so if the pricing stayed the same i would have considered the 5S, it wasn't so i wont.
Initially my point was, Apples pricing for this Gens iPhones has gone up in price sense the last Gen iPhones (buying them outright). 

Apple usually keeps the price pretty steady, so this was a surprise.

Edited by Zozman - 9/12/13 at 4:41pm
post #227 of 273

No, Again, still wrong.

Then prove it. Show me a comparable phone for half the price.

Go somewhere non-apple centric, see what they say?

The exact same thing, if they're intelligent, because they've seen the teardowns, the reviews, the sales numbers, and the customer satisfaction stats.

post #228 of 273
Quote:
The exact same thing, if they're intelligent, because they've seen the teardowns, the reviews, the sales numbers, and the customer satisfaction stats.

Your arrogance outweighs your intelligence, My point has been made & not dis-proven by you in any way shape or form, I'm not planning on repeating myself, you aren't reading & aren't even open to the possibility.

Basically no, they don't share your opinion (most other, non Apple sites) just look around, What are the odds that you are right & everyone else is wrong?, think about that ;) I think the world is mad but you :p 

post #229 of 273

My point has been… …not dis-proven

So show us examples of the four categories I mentioned.

…aren't even open to the possibility.

Which explains why I asked you to show me a comparable phone for half the price, because clearly, since I'm not open to being wrong, I didn't ask a question that could help me prove you right. Ah. Wait…

Basically no, they don't share your opinion…

Hmm… That explains why all the reviews I've read from non-Apple sites share my opinion, then.

post #230 of 273
Quote:

So show us examples of the four categories I mentioned.

Which explains why I asked you to show me a comparable phone for half the price, because clearly, since I'm not open to being wrong, I didn't ask a question that could help me prove you right. Ah. Wait…

Hmm… That explains why all the reviews I've read from non-Apple sites share my opinion, then.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/smartphones/australian-customers-will-pay-up-to-114-more-than-americans-for-the-new-iphone/story-fn5sd1vk-1226717584450

Game, set & match 1smile.gif
post #231 of 273
[post]

You seem to have gone insane. How about just admitting you're wrong and shutting up?

The only thing this proves is that you don't have the first clue what you're talking about, nor have you ever. Let's try again: you're supposed to be comparing TWO phones. Not the iPhone and the iPhone, TWO phones. One… two. Now run along.

post #232 of 273
Quote:

You seem to have gone insane. How about just admitting you're wrong and shutting up?

The only thing this proves is that you don't have the first clue what you're talking about, nor have you ever. Let's try again: you're supposed to be comparing TWO phones. Not the iPhone and the iPhone, TWO phones. One… two. Now run along.

Don't tell me what my point was or what I'm supposed to do, you have less than an idea what you are talking about.

i'll simplify this for you, you might get it, if I dumb it down enough, please, read what i say slowly...

The iPhone 5S & 5C are over prices here (here being Australia) the extra tax that other device makers put on their phones is a lot smaller.

The AUD & USD are about on par, so that isn't the reason for this, Apple charge Australians more for the same products, this is simply a fact, These phones cost more than they should cost, Point 1, Done.

Point 2, since i was thinking about how those devices are over priced (In Australia) how can they justify the price?.
Simply, they can't, to the wider market, people on the fence who haven't chosen a side, looking to buy a smart phone, looking at a flagship phone, they see the iPhone 5S - $1129 AU they see the HTC One $775AU then they see the very popular & very hyped Samsung galaxy S4, phone winning the prizes of all tech sites (yeah its over rated & not actually that good, but the public doesn't know that) is at $579 & been on sale for $400.....people looking from a far might think that the One & S4 have higher specs (which it does have on paper) they might look at the benchmarks, which are coming out (we know benchmarks don't show real world use, but again, the public doesn't know this) the news sites & tech sites are talking up the Android devices & the comments sections are totally slamming the iOS devices (which I disagree with, but again, the public doesn't know this).
Build quality isn't the reason for the price, the HTC One has an amazing build quality,  Customer satisfaction, I never see that reported on outside of Apple sites & the buzz that I hear from people I know & randoms i meet, The S4 is considered the best phone out.

I think those people are idiots too, but the numbers don't lie & the phone is selling like crazy.

If someone is moving from apple to android, they might choose a flagship phone, S4 or HTC One, that puts them in the same category, which they are, they just are. 

Point 2, of course DONE.

& there is a big price gap between these flagship devices, tell me why this is?, i'll keep buying Apple stuff, I have made my choice, but what would you say to someone that isn't already invested?.

You always fixate on a small narrow part of what someone says, the new iPhone price compared to the other phones wasn't my main point....& you are still wrong! 

Looks like you should run along, this is a one sided beating, I was entertained for a bit, its getting sad tho, very sad. 
It's not going well for you & if you keep replying, i'll keep literally whooping you.

I'll have to come up with funny pics to attach to my replies, maybe photos can aid you. 

Edited by Zozman - 9/12/13 at 6:52pm
post #233 of 273
Quote:

Don't tell me what my point was or what I'm supposed to do, you have less than an idea what you are talking about.

i'll simplify this for you, you might get it, if I dumb it down enough, please, read what i say slowly...

The iPhone 5S & 5C are over prices here (here being Australia) the extra tax that other device makers put on their phones is a lot smaller.

The AUD & USD are about on par, so that isn't the reason for this, Apple charge Australians more for the same products, this is simply a fact, These phones cost more than they should cost, Point 1, Done.

Point 2, since i was thinking about how those devices are over priced (In Australia) how can they justify the price?.
Simply, they can't, to the wider market, people on the fence who haven't chosen a side, looking to buy a smart phone, looking at a flagship phone, they see the iPhone 5S - $1129 AU they see the HTC One $775AU then they see the very popular & very hyped Samsung galaxy S4, phone winning the prizes of all tech sites (yeah its over rated & not actually that good, but the public doesn't know that) is at $579 & been on sale for $400.....people looking from a far might think that the One & S4 have higher specs (which it does have on paper) they might look at the benchmarks, which are coming out (we know benchmarks don't show real world use, but again, the public doesn't know this) the news sites & tech sites are talking up the Android devices & the comments sections are totally slamming the iOS devices (which I disagree with, but again, the public doesn't know this).
Build quality isn't the reason for the price, the HTC One has an amazing build quality,  Customer satisfaction, I never see that reported on outside of Apple sites & the buzz that I hear from people I know & randoms i meet, The S4 is considered the best phone out.

I think those people are idiots too, but the numbers don't lie & the phone is selling like crazy.

If someone is moving from apple to android, they might choose a flagship phone, S4 or HTC One, that puts them in the same category, which they are, they just are. 

Point 2, of course DONE.

& there is a big price gap between these flagship devices, tell me why this is?, i'll keep buying Apple stuff, I have made my choice, but what would you say to someone that isn't already invested?.

You always fixate on a small narrow part of what someone says, the new iPhone price compared to the other phones wasn't my main point....& you are still wrong! 

Looks like you should run along, this is a one sided beating, I was entertained for a bit, its getting sad tho, very sad. 
It's not going well for you & if you keep replying, i'll keep literally whooping you.

I'll have to come up with funny pics to attach to my replies, maybe photos can aid you. 

Let me ask you a question.  When you buy an iPhone, do you have to pay additional sales taxes, or is that included?  I just looked up the price in Australia for an unlocked 4S and it's $529 and that includes this tax that Apple has to pay to bring it into the country, but do customers have to pay an additional tax on top of that?

In my area, we have a 8.75% sales tax added to whatever the price is and for the exact same phone, it's $450 plus local sales tax, but my area isn't the highest in the US, there are other cities that charge even higher sales tax.  Some don't.  Each state is different. So, i see your point in that it costs a little more.  But isn't there also a currency conversion as well that they might be factoring in?  That's what I think Apple and some of the others are doing since it depends on the country.  So some of the competitors might be bringing product in from another country where the currency conversion is more equal.  That's another thing that might not be factored into the consumers heads.

post #234 of 273
Quote:

Let me ask you a question.  When you buy an iPhone, do you have to pay additional sales taxes, or is that included?  I just looked up the price in Australia for an unlocked 4S and it's $529 and that includes this tax that Apple has to pay to bring it into the country, but do customers have to pay an additional tax on top of that?

In my area, we have a 8.75% sales tax added to whatever the price is and for the exact same phone, it's $450 plus local sales tax, but my area isn't the highest in the US, there are other cities that charge even higher sales tax.  Some don't.  Each state is different. So, i see your point in that it costs a little more.  But isn't there also a currency conversion as well that they might be factoring in?  That's what I think Apple and some of the others are doing since it depends on the country.  So some of the competitors might be bringing product in from another country where the currency conversion is more equal.  That's another thing that might not be factored into the consumers heads.

We pay an additional 10% Good & Sevices Tax on sales & when privately importing things into Australia we pay that GST on anything over $1000

That doesn't really explain it tho, say for a PS3 game in the US $60 (AU & US dollar is one to one for this example,it usually is one to one).
so a $60 game with our tax would be $66 then shipping isn't an issue, they are locally manufactured & shipped, we get our own covers & terms & conditions, local legal stuff & they are pressed here.
So a $66 game, lets add $10 for shipping, just to cover it, so the total is $67, Recommended retail price here is $99 on that same $60 game, so there is an extra $32 thrown on that we can't explain, It doesnt seem regulated properly & it varies from product to product.
For a game, we wear the price difference, Minimum wage is bigger here.
Samsung stuff is cheap here & other random IT stuff, but Apple stuff is unexplainably higher priced, that's an apple decision, from what we can see. 

Basically the GST is rolled into the price, anything above 10% is price gouging.

Edited by Zozman - 9/12/13 at 8:11pm
post #235 of 273
Quote:

We pay an additional 10% Good & Sevices Tax on sales & when privately importing things into Australia we pay that GST on anything over $1000
That doesn't really explain it tho, say for a PS3 game in the US $60 (AU & US dollar is one to one for this example,it usually is one to one).

so a $60 game with our tax would be $66 then shipping isn't an issue, they are locally manufactured & shipped, we get our own covers & terms & conditions, local legal stuff & they are pressed here.

So a $66 game, lets add $10 for shipping, just to cover it, so the total is $67, Recommended retail price here is $99 on that same $60 game, so there is an extra $32 thrown on that we can't explain, It doesnt seem regulated properly & it varies from product to product.

For a game, we wear the price difference, Minimum wage is bigger here.

Samsung stuff is cheap here & other random IT stuff, but Apple stuff is unexplainably higher priced, that's an apple decision, from what we can see. 

Just move. 1smile.gif
post #236 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Just move. 1smile.gif

Haha, nah, its one of the best places in the world :) for someone like me that loves tech, I still buy everything, just bitch about it online :P 

It's not like I'm trying to actually change things. 

post #237 of 273

As Randy Jackson would say "Apple's in it to win it!,  Dawg."  hahahahaha.

post #238 of 273

Don't tell me what my point was

Maybe you should articulate it better, then.

These phones cost more than they should cost

When you actually know what "should" entails, feel free to explain it to us. As it stands, you have provided no reason for anyone to believe you understand why the prices are different.

people on the fence who haven't chosen a side, looking to buy a smart phone, looking at a flagship phone, they see the iPhone 5S - $1129 AU they see the HTC One $775AU then they see the very popular & very hyped Samsung galaxy S4, phone winning the prizes of all tech sites (yeah its over rated & not actually that good, but the public doesn't know that) is at $579 & been on sale for $400… 

And there's the problem. You repeat this point, which is good, because to do so you must see the devices for what they actually are. So, really, this whole bit can be distilled to three words: idiots buy crap. You yourself agreed (somewhat later in the post). The iPhone, again, cannot be compared to other phones, particularly the ones you've listed, and so your initial rejection of my analogy remains void. When you can come up with a phone that actually matches the iPhone–not one that is sold where the iPhone is sold, not one that is sold how the iPhone is sold, not one that is pointed at the same market as the iPhone, not one that portends to be what the iPhone is, but one that actually is objectively comparable to the iPhone in specs, software, build quality, and ecosystem–then we can continue the discussion that you've thrown so far off the railroad tracks with your (and at this point I'll take the liberty to add the word 'false') misunderstanding of the point being made. 

the numbers don't lie & the phone is selling like crazy.

"Over 99 billion served…"

Ah, wait, you're an Aussie. Not sure if they have that on their signs over there. Though not being an American, you can appreciate the quality of the product sold at those establishments better, as you've probably not been desensitized to it. When I lived in Ireland, I saw a disclaimer on all of their signage. "It is not recommended to eat fast food more than a few times per month." or something of that sort. Ireland could correct me; he still lives there and doesn't have the memory of an (apocryphal) goldfish.

The quality of a thing is not solely dependent on the proliferation thereof.

I don't understand how you can make the valid points you've made above, speaking as to the failings of the competing devices, and then, first, not see what I'm saying about said devices and, second, think you're still in the right about what you're saying initially.

McDonald's has a flagship burger known as the Big Mac, with fries and a coke. Dare you compare it to the flagship meal of Toqueville–a roasted loin and braised shoulder of lamb–and exclaim, "It is inexcusable that they have made more expensive!"

Ah, I've just remembered. Fake Steve Jobs said this: "Sometimes I feel like a great chef who has devoted his entire life to monastic study of the art of cooking. I've gathered the finest ingredients, built the most advanced kitchen and prepared the most exquisite meal. So perfect, so delicious, so extraordinary. More astounding than any meal ever created. Yet each day I stand in my window and watch 97% of the world walk past my restaurant into the McDonald's across the street."

Of course, that was written in the early naughties, back when even more people were blinded by the hammer of Microsoft. Apple has since shown hundreds of millions what quality entails.

post #239 of 273
Quote:
[post]

I try to put my feelings aside with a lot of this stuff, My personal feelings are pretty different, I'm playing devils advocate.

I don't post on an Apple forum to be a troll, I love the products, I think they are the best at what they do.
That's my personal feelings, the world doesn't always agree with me (i think they are nuts) but none the less, people are entitled to their opinions as stupid as they seem. 

When i said the iPhones cost more then they 'should', its more that id like it if the prices were as close to universal as they can be (meaning aside from local taxes & currency conversion, i want it to be the same).

Also when I say that the iPhones are too expensive, it's not an issue that impacts me so much, i'll still end up getting them, but it makes it a whole lot harder to recommend them to people that might not have the cash & if they ask, 'Why get an iPhone that cost alot more than the S4?, the S4 is very popular', I might say, 'the iPhones build quality is amazing, the echo system is great, best apps available & you don't have to stress about malware & apps have quality control', for me thats a big deal, i've spoken to many people that say, 'pffffft android works fine for me, UI isn't glitchy at all & they have the same sort of apps'.
I never end call them an idiot, but people have different standards.

post #240 of 273
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple announces iPhone 5s: Touch ID fingerprint security, 64-bit A7 CPU, new gold option coming Sept. 20
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple announces iPhone 5s: Touch ID fingerprint security, 64-bit A7 CPU, new gold option coming Sept. 20