or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple announces iPhone 5s: Touch ID fingerprint security, 64-bit A7 CPU, new gold option coming Sept. 20

Apple announces iPhone 5s: Touch ID fingerprint security, 64-bit A7 CPU, new gold option coming... - Page 2

post #41 of 273

Don't feed the trolls, people. Just move along. Don't quote them, just ignore.

post #42 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by just1ed@gmail.com View Post

Sad that there's no mention of release date for Mavericks.

Why mention that in an event all about iOS and new phones?

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
post #43 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

How long before we hear from all the usual shills that Apple isn't innovating any more because this phone looks just like the last one (except for one new color)? I can already hear it "The only innovation Apple is capable of is adding a new color".

I'm guessing we'll hear that within an hour.

What have they 'innovated' with this phone?

I don't see any physical innovation at all.

Faster chip, camera update, fingerprint security? Wouldn't call that 'innovation'.

The innovation is in the software.

iOS 7 is the innovation... these phones are just vessels to make it sing.

5s is a bit faster... woooo

I don't foresee people chucking their 5's over the Golden Gate Bridge for this hardware update.

post #44 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

I am very underwhelmed.

Mostly because of the price points. Everything seems to be $100 too expensive. 

The 5C should have been 16GB for $0 on contract (or $399 off) and the 5S should have started at 32GB, not 16GB. 

And the 4S should have been axed. Are they at least updating it to Lightning?

The price points are unchanged.

Before:
iPhone 5 16 GB $199
iPhone 4S 16 GB $99
Iphone 4 8 GB $0

Now:
Iphone 5S 16 GB $199
iPhone 5C (replaces iPhone 5) $99
iPhone 4S 8 GB $0

It's exactly the same thing that they've been doing for years - release a new phone and the old ones drop by $100 in price. The new one stays at the same price, but adds a lot of features and/or performance. The only thing different this time is that instead of dropping the price of the iPhone 5, they put the iPhone 5 into a plastic case and dropped the price by $100.

The people who were expecting a "cheap" phone will be disappointed - which I expected all along. Apple doesn't make cheap junk. Period.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #45 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by msalganik View Post

I like what I see with the 5S but 199 for 16gb? I really thought they would finally bump up the memory on all of these (32gb/199; 64gb/299, etc).... kinda bummed about that. Will def be getting one for the wife though... my phone however doesn't become eligible for upgrade until April so I might as well wait for the 6  (still get to play with iOS7 in the mean time) :D

Im certain there will be ... Remember last year they waited on the iPad upgrade to that capacity... 

post #46 of 273

Glad I'm not the only one who does not get it right on the first go :) 

post #47 of 273

Looking forward to further details (SoC scans, benchmarking by AnandTech, etc). With only $100 difference between the 5S and 5C, I will be looking more at the 5S. I'll be waiting to see what the off-contract prices are as well. The biggest decision for me is which carrier to go with and then that will decide if I purchase on or off contract.

Overall, I think the 5S is quite a nice bump (considering the wife and I have a 3g and 4 respectively, we'll likely get whiplash using the 5S).

post #48 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by rain View Post

Faster chip, camera update, fingerprint security? Wouldn't call that 'innovation'.

I don't foresee people chucking their 5's over the Golden Gate Bridge for this hardware update.

Considering you can sell your 5 for roughly the price it costs to get the new 5S, why wouldn't you sell it and have a newer phone?

That said, this update is for all the people with 4S' and 4's and even 3GS'. And new customers. 

post #49 of 273
Don't feed the trolls, people. Just move along. Don't quote them, just ignore.

Also report.

Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post
Glad I'm not the only one who does not get it right on the first go :) 

Apple is doomed.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

post #50 of 273

I was dead wrong about no 64 bit this time around.. I'm shocked.

"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
post #51 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Interesting to see no 128 GB option.

However, I'm sure we'll all live.

That was also my feeling, but I don't expect the pictures to increase in size considerably with the new pixel & sensor size plus the 60fps. So for photography it probably won't matter anyway. I just need to trim my iTunes lib.
"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
post #52 of 273
Quote:

People with an iPhone 5 are not really the market since most of them will be under contract for at least 6 or more months before they can get an upgrade credit. This phone is meant to entice the 4S and 4 owners to upgrade. For them it is actually a pretty substantial upgrade. 

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. 

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. 

post #53 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

No real surprises here. The leaks and rumors over the last few weeks and months pretty much nailed everything. I was hoping there would be some nice surprise like doubling the storage to 32/64/128 instead of keeping it at 16/32/64. Also wondering if it will use the Qualcomm RF360 front end or not since that wasn't mentioned.  Maybe I will feel differently when I can watch the actual video but right now I am feeling a little let down. 

Yea the rumors did pretty much uncover everything.... except was the 64-bit iOS in the rumors (might have missed it) or did they manage the surprise there? That seems like it will pay dividends down the road. Not sure about the new space grey color but I guess i'll wait to see it in person before passing judgement. 

post #54 of 273
Quote:

I knew it wouldn't take long. Samsung and Google must pay well.

Let's see:
- Twice the CPU performance
- Twice the graphics performance
- First 64 bit phone
- Much better camera
- Fingerprint security
- New motion coprocessor
- Greater network coverage
- Same price as predecessor

And none of that counts for anything?

The Android and Samsung shills really get tiresome.

The really sad thing is how quickly Wall Street goes along. The stock was down about 0.7 before the announcement and is down about 1.7 now. Just what the heck did they expect?
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #55 of 273
Quote:

The price points are unchanged.

Before:
iPhone 5 16 GB $199
iPhone 4S 16 GB $99
Iphone 4 8 GB $0

Now:
Iphone 5S 16 GB $199
iPhone 5C (replaces iPhone 5) $99
iPhone 4S 8 GB $0

It's exactly the same thing that they've been doing for years - release a new phone and the old ones drop by $100 in price. The new one stays at the same price, but adds a lot of features and/or performance. The only thing different this time is that instead of dropping the price of the iPhone 5, they put the iPhone 5 into a plastic case and dropped the price by $100.

The people who were expecting a "cheap" phone will be disappointed - which I expected all along. Apple doesn't make cheap junk. Period.

Yes, the price points of the main device (5S) I expected to remain unchanged. However, I was expecting a bump in storage to 32/64/128GB while keeping the same price. They've done that many times in the past. The current storage/price points have stayed the same for three generations now.

For the 5C (a new device) I was expecting the base 5C 16GB (or 8GB) to take the place now occupied by the 4S at $0 on contract. 

Thus, everything in my view is $100 too expensive, as the 32GB 5S should have been at the $199 price point, etc.

post #56 of 273

No MBP update :no:

post #57 of 273
One thing that I find interesting is that, according to Apple's website, the 5s will not be offered in black. It's white, slate gray and gold. Personally I think the slate gray one is GORGEOUS, but wondering if there will be any negative consumer reaction. Really nice release by Apple today...I'm impressed.
post #58 of 273
Underwhelmed

Definitely sticking with my iPhone 4S "unlocked / jailbroken"
post #59 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Apple is doomed.

lol I don't think I was saying that, just glad to see I'm not the only one with code updates that don't go 100% smooth. 

post #60 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowest Skil View Post

Oh oh.

AAPL down 2.4%

Buy on rumor, sell on news... 

post #61 of 273

With the photo tech they have, Apple could wipe out gopro in an instant...just gotta package an iPod version of the 5s with 187 waterproof and assorted accessories.

post #62 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

Meh, a wash, we got finger print sensor but no news on which carrier in China just siad vailable in China, or unlocked price of 5C

The unlocked prices are unchanged compared to the iPhone 5 - $649, $749, and $849. Everything is up in the Apple store online now.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #63 of 273
I don't see any coverage on the M7. This was very significant imho.

The only reason you use a co-processor for motion is to lower power and increase accuracy.

Seems like this thing is directed right at those activity bands that are so popular right now (FuelBand, FitBit, etc etc).

Leave the phone in your pocket and it tracks your activity all day. The M7 sips power while aggregating motion data and then if an app asks, the M7 reports the activity. A direct replacement for those bands.
post #64 of 273

The 5s? Nice improvement.

Oh and "Mavericks"? They explained that at the time: it's a surfer break in California. Maybe all those images of waves and not a single one of Tom Cruise (with or without a couch) was a hint?

Edited by jfc1138 - 9/10/13 at 11:51am
post #65 of 273
Just a reminder to people

Don't feed the trolls!!
post #66 of 273

post #67 of 273
Quote:

I realize you just learned the word innovation and are trying to find its appropriate use by using it for every other word, but could you keep it down a little? The adults are trying to talk. Thanks.
post #68 of 273

lowestskil, that is normal...

...no worries, apple did make their homework, just wait a bit

post #69 of 273
Quote:

Considering you can sell your 5 for roughly the price it costs to get the new 5S, why wouldn't you sell it and have a newer phone?

That said, this update is for all the people with 4S' and 4's and even 3GS'. And new customers. 

I get that.
I just wouldn't call the 5s an 'innovation' in smart phone technology.

Really, this is just a chip update meant to push the virtues of iOS7.

The 'innovation' will come from app developers. 5s will facilitate it.

So are we calling 'facilitative' - 'innovation' now?

post #70 of 273
Quote:

Quote:

Let's see:
- First 64 bit phone
- Much better camera
- Fingerprint security
- New motion coprocessor

And none of that counts for anything?

The Android and Samsung shills really get tiresome.

The really sad thing is how quickly Wall Street goes along. The stock was down about 0.7 before the announcement and is down about 1.7 now. Just what the heck did they expect?

The main missing new feature for me is the fact that it has the same tiny screen. Why can't they make it in a 4.8"-5"?! Oh well, maybe next year.....

post #71 of 273
Quote:

Let's see:

Clearly anyone can say 400x this, 250% that with fancy charts but it's all relative until there's numbers behind it explaining what that's based on. My favorite was the cumulative iPhone sales chart...not a single number anywhere on it outside of the year on the bottom. 

Quote:
- First 64 bit phone

This is definitely a biggie. 

Quote:
 - Much better camera

Clearly the best looking / exciting improvement IMO. 

Quote:
- Fingerprint security
- New motion coprocessor

These are largely meh. This could be the big breakthrough in scanning tech, but it's not exactly like everyone's clamoring for it.

Quote:

As others noted, this isn't really a positive or negative. Other OEMs have started offering double the storage at 199/299 price points. 

Trolls will be trolls, but the 5S is a solid update and an amazing one for people coming from the 4 or 4S on renewal. 

I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
post #72 of 273
Quote:

I am very underwhelmed.

The 5C should have been 16GB for $0 on contract (or $399 off) and the 5S should have started at 32GB, not 16GB.

No to the lightning for 4c question.  http://www.apple.com/iphone/compare/

post #73 of 273
The only thing interesting here is the camera..why would i need a faster processor otherwise? What i really wanted was a bigger screen, i see not enough reason to upgrade from my iphone 5.
post #74 of 273
Quote:

I am very underwhelmed.

I'm always amazed at Apple's Pricing Dept.  they seem to sell things where  they price them.

I'll hold my breathe on sales.... and.  with a 5c... they can update these every 6 months too. 

As for the 4s.  You've never seen a GSA or large corporate contract (like Carriers).   I'll be surprised if Apple isn't on the hook to provide iPhone 4 'form factor' (including all adapters) for XX years (XX greater than 4).  

post #75 of 273
Originally Posted by faZZter View Post

Why can't they make it in a 4.8"-5"?!

Because that's bad?

Here's your seven inch phone. It's completely unusably big. (note Huddler shrinks the image; click for full size or go to Apple.com. Not sure why Apple did this… Is it a child's hand?)

Originally Posted by heinrichz View Post
i see not enough reason to upgrade from my iphone 5.

You're not supposed to.

post #76 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowest Skil View Post

Now AAPL is down 1.5%

clearly, Wallstreet is not impressed, and neither are we!

Wall Street is never impressed by Apple when it should be, but then the stock price rises when Apple does nothing.

Why should the stock be down? All the rumors were substantively correct and known way in advance. Yesterday's stock price should have had today's announcements already baked in.
post #77 of 273
Quote:

Touch ID

One of the biggest additions to the iPhone 5s is the new Touch ID sensor, built right into the home button on the device. The sensor is 170 microns thin, senses 500 pixels per inch, and scans a user's sub-epidermal skin layers.
The new sensor is capable of securely reading a user's fingerprint in 360 degrees, from any orientation. The updated home button is also made of sapphire crystal, so it won't scratch and prevent use.

Interesting enough, the theory and basic math on Apple's fingerprint sensors has been developed here, on this board, almost 5 years ago.

Still, it remains to see what exactly scratch-resistant sapphire crystal got to do with capacitive sensor. ;) I'm sure Anand & arses would kill for clear understanding. 

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

post #78 of 273
What's really sad is there's some great stuff in the 5S but it will totally be lost in the trolling about colored plastic, 5C too expensive, etc. sigh.
post #79 of 273
Quote:
- First 64 bit phone
- Much better camera
- Fingerprint security
- New motion coprocessor

More precisely:

New ARM CPU A50 series based Processor design from Apple with the PowerVR Series 6 GPGPU to leverage OpenGL ES 3.0 and OpenCL 1.2.

The Motion Coprocessor [series of modern DSPs] and it's API will be a huge hit for augmented reality apps from dozens of market segments [Gaming, Engineering, Fitness, Health, Surgery, Military, Security, etc].

post #80 of 273
The black is gone just as I said. I called it here first.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple announces iPhone 5s: Touch ID fingerprint security, 64-bit A7 CPU, new gold option coming Sept. 20
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple announces iPhone 5s: Touch ID fingerprint security, 64-bit A7 CPU, new gold option coming Sept. 20